A look back: 2016-17 Boys Hoopster

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

A look back: 2016-17 Boys Hoopster

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:10 am

So now that we are at the State Tournament...I thought I'd take a look back at the Hoopster that we all received last fall.

5 of the 8 predicted Region representatives made it to State: Hillsboro-Central Valley, Ellendale, Four Winds-Minnewaukan, Bishop Ryan and Dickinson Trinity.

The other 3 were ranked in the Top 3 of their respected Regions: Oak Grove (2nd behind Northern Cass), Turtle Lake-MM (3rd behind Shiloh & Solen) and Stanley (2nd behind Parshall).

The Preseason Hoopster Power Poll
Four Winds-Minnewaukan - 1st
Dickinson Trinity - 3rd
Hillsboro-Central Valley - 4th
Ellendale - 5th
Bishop Ryan - 8th
Oak Grove - 13th
Stanley - 15th
Turtle Lake-MM - 24th

Now the Power Poll was off on how some of the Regions finished:
Region 1 was mightily off but those of us in Region 1 know that upsets were possible on any given night
MPCG exceeded expectations in Region 2 (Top 4 finish - Hoopster ranked 10th)
Region 3 was very close...Midkota made the Region tournament with some upsets but 6 of 8 isn't bad
Region 4 also nearly perfect...ranking 7 of 8
Region 5 had the correct 8 teams...just a different order thanks to those upsets
Region 6 was slightly off but with how balanced District 11 happened to be...just about anyone could have made Region tourney from D11
Region 7 was very close and might have been even closer to accurate if Carr doesn't go down with his injury
Region 8 had all the correct teams...just a slightly different order
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Re: A look back: 2016-17 Boys Hoopster

Postby glueguy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:10 pm

How do they come up with the Power Poll in each region?
glueguy
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Flip » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:21 pm

glueguy wrote:How do they come up with the Power Poll in each region?

it's just the author's opinion
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:32 pm

Flip wrote:
glueguy wrote:How do they come up with the Power Poll in each region?

it's just the author's opinion

Don't the coaches of each region send in their ranking for the team's in the region, then its put together by adding up the votes?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:34 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:Don't the coaches of each region send in their ranking for the team's in the region, then its put together by adding up the votes?

pretty sure coaches list their favorites. I know I have never listed every team in my district/region.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby glueguy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:10 am

I am not sure if they need to find another way of doing this or not. I am sure you could come up with some statistical equation that takes in to account the loss of players and what they contribute while accounting for what pieces they have coming back and their potential for growth over the season haha maybe that would be going a little too far.
glueguy
NDPreps Rookie

Return to Boys