MR BASKETBALL!!!

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: MR BASKETBALL!!!

Postby winner-within » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:58 pm

Moody is well deserving of the award.....he did show he was human in the Century game at state when his 3 ball did not want to drop at the end.....regardless, I'm sure he will work out fine with Jones and UND....

also, all the talk about College and such and who can and could play here or there
look at it like this as we watch the NCAA Mens tournament...I think that most would agree there are some pretty gifted athletes playing ball for all the teams and at the same time the NIT tournament is taking place with the same level (D1) of athletes playing in that one also, (its just their teams just didn't make it in to the Big Dance this spring but may have in the past)...my point being is, how many of these players I am referring to will make the NBA?....research it!! you'll be surprised if you don't follow it!!

the same goes for all of High School players in the ND or lets say the Mid-West or lets say the Nation...
there is not a College for all of them......if there is, you now have to have the passion and put in the time and go for it!

bottom line if any young'ens are reading this.......don't let go of a dream but know you cant dream your way there... :)
Last edited by winner-within on Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby knowledge » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:19 pm

wem wrote:They don't play D-1 cause they are not recruited by D-1. Why aren't they recruited by D-1, cause the media coverage and coach involvement at the B level is very, very limited. I know for a fact that unless a parent takes it upon themselves to send tape around to D-1 schools if they play at B level, they will not get anymore than offers from Mary, VC, Jamestown, etc. And many great class B kids don't even get that.

"They don't play D1 because they're not recruited D1"

Answer is - They're not viewed as good enough. A handful a decade might be missed, most aren't good enough.

Non-private school of class B size w/in 1 hour from FM has a D1 baseball pitcher, D1 basketball player, 2 D1 football players, 3 D3 football players, NAIA track & cross country guy, D2 golfer, along with a JUCO football player and a JUCO golfer, D2 basketball girl, D2 volleyball girl, JUCO volleyball girl, and a d3 basketball girl all from within the past 4 graduating classes. Even if you only want to focus on the D1 players - that's still shows that if you can play, they'll find you. Yep, it's harder to be found in some cases if you are from "remote" areas, but numbers are numbers: size, speed, stats, etc....

wem wrote:Anybody that thinks media, big school, large coaching staffs, parent/alumni/boosters/and parent donators to colleges doesn't have an influence in recruiting, has no creditability with me; IT DOES!

You stated that D1 don't recruit class B kids because media doesn't cover and class B coaches are limited. Media is out of our control, but they do cover stories that will get their main readership to pick up a paper and/or click on the news. As for boosters, etc... everyone has connections of some kind, somewhere and that's again out of our control. I guess if a coach wants to give a scholly to a donor's kid instead of a kid that can play....he's going to upset the apple cart somewhere, but he/she has to sleep at knowing they didn't give themselves the best chance to win.
A Larger staff such as at a school that can have more than just "level" head coaches does come into play with football and somewhat in other sports at big schools because you can be more position specific in your work and have a smaller number of coaches per kid. I'll give you that. SU football has done a phenomenal job and UND under Bubba is starting to find these local kids with great work ethic that can put on good lbs to help them. Basketball is a bit of a different animal when it comes to this.

"I know for a fact that unless a parent takes it upon themselves to send tape around to D-1 schools if they play at B level"

Class B coaches are only limited if they want to be and none of the class A coaches I know are putting their teaching jobs (PE or otherwise) or other day jobs on hold just to promote their kids. With online video sharing tools, etc.. most small or large school high school coaches exchange film links in emails or on those sharing sites. I trade film of upcoming opponents frequently. Only twice in the last handful of years have I had a coach tell me that he needs to burn me a DVD and mail it. And that's still only a day or two wait to receive it. Any coach worth their salt will put a DVD in their computer, just as they will download a link, or click a YouTube link.

"....they (Class B kids) will not get anymore than offers from Mary, VC, Jamestown, etc. And many great class B kids don't even get that."

Why? Not because their coaches cannot send film. It's because either the coaches at those schools don't think they are good enough, or have different recruiting philosophies (JUCO transfers, bringing kids up from other areas or pipelines, etc...). Is it possible that some of our local small schools are not doing a good job recruiting their own "backyards"?....yes. Most, however, would like to find kids that can play and are local because that might put a few butts in the seats as well. Mostly though, they are going to do the job they feel will help them win and if they think a class B kid can play, they'll recruit him. If they don't, they won't.

Of the more than one million high school athletes across the United States, fewer than 5 percent go on to play sports in college, and fewer than 1 percent go on to play at the division I level.

Only makes sense that a state with a population around 740,000 that the raw # would be quite smaller.
knowledge
NDPreps Reserve

Postby wem » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:16 am

BB11 stated that he's never heard of a kid that's got passed up and were worthy. He said he feels sorry for me if my kid was one of them.(I apologize to knowledge) As stated previous, this has n0thing to do with my kids, they chose not to try it at next level themselves.. Run, read into my comments about class b coaches how ever you want to perceive it, (they do the best they can with the resources available) but I guess you want to put a different twist on
The fact of the matter is, If there are kids of equal stature, ability, athletism, etc., in A vs B, who has the advantage?
Run I also have to answer to your comment that I can be critical of others posts. You bet I can! IF I believe something and disagree with others, I will let you and everybody else know about it. I tell it like it is, and if you don't like it, I don't care. I'm not sorry if people don't like my opinion. Have a spine and deal with it, because Ive had to listen to you too. In this over-sensitive world, I guess I need to be more careful how I word things.
wem
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:22 am

If there are kids with the same skill set, size, and ability level, who are both no brainer D1 caliber players, both will play D1 basketball.

Who are the ND kids that could play D1 basketball who did not get recruited by D1 schools in the 2014-2017 graduating classes?
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby wem » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:09 pm

Your the recruiter, you tell me. I don' t make a living at this like you do. I made a statement in general of what I believe happens in the world of who has the advantage of being recruited. So you let me know and I will live with it. (I'm sure your answer will be nobody) I value your insight on many things, but it doesn't mean I have to agree. This topic has got way out of whack, and its time to put it to rest. I think there were some good discussion, and points made by most.
wem
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:14 pm

I will happily put the topic to rest.

Aanen Moody won Mr. Basketball and Gatorade Player of the Year and is the best player.

Topic locked.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Previous

Return to Boys