Class B Trivia

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Class B Trivia

Postby B Historian » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:38 am

east sider wrote:2005: New Rockford-Sheyenne and Four Winds or Cando?
70s: best guess would have to be Hillsboro and Mayville.

You are on the right track with Hillsboro and Mayville, although they did not play against each other either of those years:

1977: (1) Hillsboro beat (2) Devils Lake St. Mary's 61-52 in the Region 2 semifinals
1978: (1) Larimore beat (2) Mayville-Portland 40-38 in the Region 2 semifinals
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:58 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:2001: Cando & New Rockford (Region semifinals ??)

The other ones are before my time but my curiosity wonders if Larimore/Hatton in the 70s? (shot in the dark)

The answers to the other times where the top two ranked teams played in the regional tournament:

2002: (1) Dickinson Trinity 61 (2) Mott-Regent 56 in the Region 7 championship game.
1967: (2) Ellendale 62 (1) Casselton 58 in the Region 1 championship game.

There were two other occasions where the top two ranked teams were in the same region but did not play each other in the region tournament:

1961: (1) New Town and (2) Hazen were both unbeaten coming into the Region 3 tournament. (10) Kenmare beat Hazen 46-31 in the semifinals and New Town 48-40 in the championship game.

1994: (1) Minot Ryan won the Region 8 championship by beating (3) Grenora 75-52. (2) Mohall was upset by Trenton in the first round.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:58 pm

New trivia:

1. This occurred in the 80's: All four region semifinalists in a region were ranked in the final Class B poll. Can you name the region and year?

2. What year were the two teams in the state title game tied for first in the final Class B poll?
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:21 pm

B Historian wrote:New trivia:

1. This occurred in the 80's: All four region semifinalists in a region were ranked in the final Class B poll. Can you name the region and year?

The answer to this is 1983 Region 7.

Semifinals:
(7) Grenora 58 (3) Beulah 57
(8) Divide County 58 (1) Parshall 53

3rd Place:
Beulah 80 Parshall 72

Championship:
Grenora 45 Divide County 41

Grenora, Beulah and Parshall all entered the region tournament with just one loss. Divide County had lost five games but was the defending state champion with four returning starters. Grenora went on to place 3rd in the state tournament.

2. What year were the two teams in the state title game tied for first in the final Class B poll?

I'm surprised nobody got this one. This happened in 2015 when Rugby and Four Winds-Minnewaukan were tied for first in the final poll.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:24 pm

New trivia:

I believe this only happened once in Class B history. Can anyone name the player that participated in the state tournament for two different teams during his high school career? (This was not due to a coop forming, he actually transferred schools)
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:28 pm

Before last week had two female coaches ever coached against each other at the Varsity level?
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:47 pm

I believe this only happened once in Class B history. Can anyone name the player that participated in the state tournament for two different teams during his high school career? (This was not due to a coop forming, he actually transferred schools)

Donovan Lambert for New Town in 2011 and Bismarck Shiloh in 2012
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:27 pm

Has anyone played in a Class B and a Class A State Tournament due to transfer??
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BasketballMind » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:50 pm

Baller wrote:Has anyone played in a Class B and a Class A State Tournament due to transfer??

Thomas Dryburgh (Fordville-Lankin and Shanley) had a chance as he transferred for his senior year. As a Junior his Fordville-Lankin team made it to the semi-finals and lost to eventual State Champion MPCG. That Region tournament (2002) was better than most state tournaments if you were around during those years.

4 Teams ranked in the top ten: MPCG, Thompson, North Border, Fordville-Lankin. Hillsboro had a very good team that year as well and were ranked somewhere in the top 20. It was widely agreed upon at the time that if the 4 teams playing on Semi-Final night were in different regions, they would've all made it to state. Absolutely loaded region tournament.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby B Historian » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:04 am

The Schwab wrote:

Donovan Lambert for New Town in 2011 and Bismarck Shiloh in 2012

Correct answer. Although it wasn't that long ago, I wasn't sure if anyone would remember that he played for New Town.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:09 am

scc wrote:
BasketballMind wrote:
Baller wrote:Has anyone played in a Class B and a Class A State Tournament due to transfer??

Thomas Dryburgh (Fordville-Lankin and Shanley) had a chance as he transferred for his senior year. As a Junior his Fordville-Lankin team made it to the semi-finals and lost to eventual State Champion MPCG. That Region tournament (2002) was better than most state tournaments if you were around during those years.

4 Teams ranked in the top ten: MPCG, Thompson, North Border, Fordville-Lankin. Hillsboro had a very good team that year as well and were ranked somewhere in the top 20. It was widely agreed upon at the time that if the 4 teams playing on Semi-Final night were in different regions, they would've all made it to state. Absolutely loaded region tournament.

Specifically, Fordville-Lankin, May-Port CG, and North Border were ranked fourth through sixth, respectively, in the final poll. Hillsboro was tied for tenth. Thompson received votes.

That was a loaded tournament and a great ending with Craig Nelson making the shot to beat Thompson. What was interesting to me is that there wasn't much drama in the semifinals. May-Port-CG and Thompson both won by double digit margins.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:58 pm

Kindred became just the third team in Class B history to win the state title without being ranked in the final poll and without having a player on the all-state team. Can you name the other two teams that were able to pull this off?
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:56 am

B Historian wrote:Kindred became just the third team in Class B history to win the state title without being ranked in the final poll and without having a player on the all-state team. Can you name the other two teams that were able to pull this off?

You keep posting new questions but haven’t answered the one I asked you about 5 times
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BasketballMind » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:42 am

B Historian wrote:
scc wrote:
BasketballMind wrote:

Specifically, Fordville-Lankin, May-Port CG, and North Border were ranked fourth through sixth, respectively, in the final poll. Hillsboro was tied for tenth. Thompson received votes.

That was a loaded tournament and a great ending with Craig Nelson making the shot to beat Thompson. What was interesting to me is that there wasn't much drama in the semifinals. May-Port-CG and Thompson both won by double digit margins.

It was Steve Trudeau that made the shot. Hit the game winner in Regionals and State.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:11 am

Question:

What is the record for free throws made in a season by an individual player?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby BasketballMind » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:55 pm

The Schwab wrote:Question:

What is the record for free throws made in a season by an individual player?

As a guess I'd put it at around 150? Have no idea who that could be but that'd be about 6 made FTs every game on a state tournament team. As far as who that is I'll throw Brady Trenbeath's name out there. He got to the line a lot his Junior and Senior year. Complete shot in the dark.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:13 pm

Jeran Anderson from Hettinger-Scranton made 180 free throws this year (180/220) for a percentage of 81.8%. I was just curious if anyone had knowledge of athletes that had made a lot of FT's in a year. I would assume this would be close to a record. His team played in 22 games.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:15 pm

B Historian wrote:Kindred became just the third team in Class B history to win the state title without being ranked in the final poll and without having a player on the all-state team. Can you name the other two teams that were able to pull this off?

I'm stumped on this especially if these were teams from a long time ago. I'll take a guess at 2010 Carrington and 1990 Edgeley
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:41 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:

I'm stumped on this especially if these were teams from a long time ago. I'll take a guess at 2010 Carrington and 1990 Edgeley

I'm taking three guesses hoping I get 2 of them right. I'll say 2001 North Border, 1980 New Town and 1979 Sargent Central.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:53 pm

So how about the two female varsity coaches question?
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:55 pm

The Schwab wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:

I'm taking three guesses hoping I get 2 of them right. I'll say 2001 North Border, 1980 New Town and 1979 Sargent Central.

I was thinking that North Border team as well. I don't think they had any all-state players, but I believe they were ranked in the poll.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:02 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:

Believe Devin Barton was a 2nd team all state selection.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:02 pm

scc wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:

I was thinking that North Border team as well. I don't think they had any all-state players, but I believe they were ranked in the poll.

North Border was ranked prior to the final poll, but unranked at state tournament time.

I thought that was the case, I know they were ranked high in the preseason poll, but thought they lost a few games toward the end of the season. If one of my other two guesses isn't correct I have no idea
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:18 pm

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:

Believe Devin Barton was a 2nd team all state selection.

I was thinking that was a possibility. They may have also been ranked as well. Just a shot in the dark.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby BasketballMind » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:55 pm

scc wrote:
The Schwab wrote:Jeran Anderson from Hettinger-Scranton made 180 free throws this year (180/220) for a percentage of 81.8%. I was just curious if anyone had knowledge of athletes that had made a lot of FT's in a year. I would assume this would be close to a record. His team played in 22 games.

Probably few have eclipsed 180 FTM for a season, but Steve Blehm's single-season high was 239 as a junior.

I swear every time I read a stat about Steve Blehm it feels like a Paul Bunyan story. Crazy numbers on his career.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

PreviousNext

Return to Boys