Class B Trivia

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Class B Trivia

Postby yellowjacket » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:33 pm

packers21 wrote:Who was the last team to win a State Championship playing almost all zone defense? I know North Star has played some zone recently but do not remember how much they played when they won it.

MPCG in 1997 I thought played a lot of zone.
yellowjacket
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:04 pm

Name a team that had 3 of their 5 starters, with over 300 points each, and 2 of those 3 with each over 200 rebounds for the season.........
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:09 pm

I would assume the 3 players over 300 points each isn't terribly uncommon. 2 players averaging over 8 rebounds a game would probably be less common.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:29 pm

The Schwab wrote:I would assume the 3 players over 300 points each isn't terribly uncommon. 2 players averaging over 8 rebounds a game would probably be less common.

2 players with each over 400 points would be more common than 3 with 300 I would say....it isn't a contest though....its "class B trivia"
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby B Historian » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:24 pm

Haven't posted in awhile but still doing a great deal of research. Here's some new trivia questions:

1. Who coached for one season at a ND Class B school, was fired, and then went on to become the all-time coaching wins leader in another state?

2. Brian Buhr from Page graduated in 1987 with 2230 career points. However, he did not finish on top of the career scoring list among Class B players that graduated that year. Who was the player that did?

3. Name the player that scored all of his team's points in the second half of a state tournament game in an upset of a top-ranked opponent.

4. What year did the Class B state champ actually have a larger enrollment than the Class A state champ?
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:30 pm

4. 1973 A - Fort Yates B - Hillsboro
it is a guess
I like the other questions.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby B Historian » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:34 pm

Flip wrote:4. 1973 A - Fort Yates B - Hillsboro
it is a guess
I like the other questions.

Correct!

Fort Yates had an enrollment of 209 and Hillsboro had an enrollment of 219.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:37 am

B Historian wrote:Haven't posted in awhile but still doing a great deal of research. Here's some new trivia questions:

1. Who coached for one season at a ND Class B school, was fired, and then went on to become the all-time coaching wins leader in another state?

2. Brian Buhr from Page graduated in 1987 with 2230 career points. However, he did not finish on top of the career scoring list among Class B players that graduated that year. Who was the player that did?

3. Name the player that scored all of his team's points in the second half of a state tournament game in an upset of a top-ranked opponent.

4. What year did the Class B state champ actually have a larger enrollment than the Class A state champ?

2. Darrell Oswald (Wing) - 2384 points (confident)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby B Historian » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:03 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
B Historian wrote:Haven't posted in awhile but still doing a great deal of research. Here's some new trivia questions:

2. Darrell Oswald (Wing) - 2384 points (confident)

Correct!

Oswald averaged 32 and 12 for a team that finished 18-4 but was not named first team all-state.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:44 am

1. Larry Luitjens - Most wins in South Dakota history (733 wins is what comes to mind between De Smet & Custer)...coached one year at New England...I remember seeing this a couple years ago.

I have no idea on #3...going to guess this is well before my time of State Tourney stats.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby leroybla » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:28 pm

I'll always remember the SD State B in Sioux Falls in 1969. Larry Luitjens and the DeSmet Bulldogs were huge underdogs but took Onida to the final minutes before losing. Luitjens wore a dark blue suit, white shirt and tie with a red corsage on his coat. Picture of composure in a high pressure situation. I think Luitjens grew up near Amherst, SD (south of Britton) and may have attended school (Amherst Wildcats) there before graduating from Britton.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby leroybla » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:30 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:

1. Larry Luitjens - Most wins in South Dakota history (733 wins is what comes to mind between De Smet & Custer)...coached one year at New England...I remember seeing this a couple years ago.

I have no idea on #3...going to guess this is well before my time of State Tourney stats.

guess at #3, Eaglestaff?
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:48 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:

Correct! Luitjens came to New England St. Mary's in the fall of 1971 after leading De Smet SD to three straight state championship game appearances and two titles. NE St. Mary's of course had tremendous tradition having appeared in two straight state title games prior to Luitjens arriving.

As the story goes, the priest running NE St. Mary's at the time did not like Luitjens' style of play, complaining that it was too wide open. They met during the season and Luitjens was told he could stay if he won a state title but if not he would be relieved of his duties.

St. Mary's was the top-ranked team in the state going into the District 32 tournament. The district was loaded that year, with New England Public and Scranton also both ranked in the state top ten to finish the year. St. Mary's defeated New England Public in the district semifinals but lost 55-54 to Scranton in the championship game, which ended the season since only the district champ reached the regional tournament at that time. The district championship game was on a Saturday night, Luitjens was relieved of his duties the following Monday.

After taking a year off from coaching, Luitjens ended up at Custer SD where he won five more state titles. As karma would have it, NE St. Mary's never participated in another Class B state tournament before closing in 1992.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:49 pm

leroybla wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

guess at #3, Eaglestaff?

This is not correct, but this did happen in the 70's.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:17 pm

B Historian wrote:3. Name the player that scored all of his team's points in the second half of a state tournament game in an upset of a top-ranked opponent.

The answer to this is Lenny Ohlhauser from Linton in 1979. He scored all 12 of his team's second-half points in a 40-38 upset win over top-ranked Larimore in the first rounds of the tournament. Ohlhauser had just two points in the first half but his team led 28-18 and then held on in the second half to win the game.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:21 pm

New trivia:

This is from the 70's and 80's: What school hosted a district tournament each year that they did not play in?
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:11 pm

B Historian wrote:New trivia:

This is from the 70's and 80's: What school hosted a district tournament each year that they did not play in?

I believe this was Larimore. Larimore was in a District that played at Mayville State (which included Hatton, Northwood & Thompson) and then Larimore hosted the district west of them (Devils Lake/Lakota area teams).

Fargo & Mayville hosted two different District Tournaments within the same region back then also. (32 district era)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby B Historian » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:49 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
B Historian wrote:New trivia:

I believe this was Larimore. Larimore was in a District that played at Mayville State (which included Hatton, Northwood & Thompson) and then Larimore hosted the district west of them (Devils Lake/Lakota area teams).

Fargo & Mayville hosted two different District Tournaments within the same region back then also. (32 district era)

This is correct. In 1975 Lakota won the District 14 tournament in Larimore and advanced to state out of Region 4. Larimore won Region 2 and was also at the state tournament. The next year the districts and regions were shifted. District 14 became District 8 while Larimore played in District 7, so both districts were in the same region. Lakota won Region 2 in 1976. Larimore continued to host the District 8 tournament through the 1982-83 season.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:51 pm

New Trivia:

1. What school has had the longest State B tournament winning streak?

2. What school has had the longest State B tournament losing streak?

3. What two teams met in the state basketball tournament the same year that they were a coop together in football?
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wilbur » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:43 pm

I would say Hillsboro. 1973-80. 10 games. Don’t know how they fared in their last game in 1971.

Linton won 9 straight straight tournament games from 1980-87.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wilbur » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:48 pm

B Historian wrote:New Trivia:

3. What two teams met in the state basketball tournament the same year that they were a coop together in football?

#3 is Wing-Tuttle-Pettibone-Robinson and Wilton in 2001.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:07 pm

Wilbur wrote:1. What school has had the longest State B tournament winning streak?

I would say Hillsboro. 1973-80. 10 games. Don’t know how they fared in their last game in 1971.

#1: In Class B Basketball History - Grafton had 12 in a row
1933: 3rd Place Finish (1)
1934: State Champs (3)
1937: State Champs (3)
LONG DROUGHT as they were in Class A for some of this time
2008: State Champs (3)
2011: State Runner-Up (2)

Side Note: Minot Model also had 10 straight wins from 1950-1957 (State Champs in '50, '52, '53 and won first round game in '57) same as Hillsboro over Wilbur's time frame

#2: Bowman lost 10 in a row at State
1937: 8th Place
1940: 8th Place
1981: 8th Place
2009: 6th Place (so lost 1st Round game vs. TLM then beat Berthold for ONLY State Tournament victory)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby B Historian » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:38 pm

Wilbur wrote:
B Historian wrote:New Trivia:

#3 is Wing-Tuttle-Pettibone-Robinson and Wilton in 2001.

Correct.

Can anyone name the other two games in state tournament history where schools from neighboring districts played each other?
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:42 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Wilbur wrote:1. What school has had the longest State B tournament winning streak?

#1: In Class B Basketball History - Grafton had 12 in a row
1933: 3rd Place Finish (1)
1934: State Champs (3)
1937: State Champs (3)
LONG DROUGHT as they were in Class A for some of this time
2008: State Champs (3)
2011: State Runner-Up (2)

Side Note: Minot Model also had 10 straight wins from 1950-1957 (State Champs in '50, '52, '53 and won first round game in '57) same as Hillsboro over Wilbur's time frame

Grafton is correct. Hillsboro and Minot Model have both won 10 straight. Linton and Carrington have both won 9 straight.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:49 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:

#2: Bowman lost 10 in a row at State
1937: 8th Place
1940: 8th Place
1981: 8th Place
2009: 6th Place (so lost 1st Round game vs. TLM then beat Berthold for ONLY State Tournament victory)

Bowman is the right answer, but lost 9 straight and not 10. There was no 7th place game in 1981.

These are the worst records for teams that have played in at least 10 state tournament games:

Bowman 1-10
Ashley 2-13
Kindred 3-13
Enderlin 6-16
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Boys