dump cold super region

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

dump cold super region

Postby ReadyToPlay » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:57 pm

I grew up in the 80's/90's and remember jammed packed district tourneys, full of neighbors and friends talking about the upcoming week of the district tournaments. If didn't matter if you lost the first game you still had another to go, which meant total school participation of pep rallys, elementary kids making signs for the BIG kids to display at the ballgame that night, local patrons just beaming to get off work early as the game started at 4:30, buses being pulled up to load team up at 2:30 pm, and even cheerleader corsages for district tournaments. The host of the tourney(sometimes shared with the rest of the schools) could count on hungry fans which made massive amounts of money along with the income from ticket sales. It was event of the year, even if you were not the best team, you were still considered very special to your community because you were in the district tournament. It was a very warm, inviting, get together atmosphere that brought us together for that special week. Now it is a cold, play in tournament game in some cases, and just not a welcoming basketball environment. Yes, I know the theory behind the super is that encourages more meaniful play during the season but it sure doesn't hold a candle to the community friendly districts. We want to encourage more fan support, more communication, but the super cold region format is not bringing the fans together like the traditional district tournaments in my opinion. Just was wondering if anyone else would still like to see this "warm home feeling" again with everyone being excited for that one short week!
ReadyToPlay
NDPreps Starter

Re: dump cold super region

Postby NodakQ2 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:14 pm

Back then, Districts meant something...Sorry, but I'm in the "other" camp. Districts no longer serve a purpose and need to be eliminated. Make the regular season "worth" something and start the Region/Super Region. If towns can't get excited about a Regional, they're not going to get excited about a District.
Last edited by NodakQ2 on Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby d_fense » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:24 pm

Ready to play, what super Region are you in?
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby gominers » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:02 pm

I think it depends on your situation. I can see where the teams playing in the play in games feel cheated of the atmosphere and extra games. However, personally it becomes difficult to get excited about a game that has no meaning and will more then likely get replayed the following week.
gominers
NDPreps Starter

Postby wem » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:41 pm

Ready to play, I would like to see it return to the atmosphere of the past also. This isn't gonna happen no matter what kind of tourney format there is. There is no support from the students anymore, and the parents aren't involved unless students get it going. Also, I don't think there's anything being done at the schools to promote school spirit anymore. Its sad, but reality. Glad I'm done with trying to promote this real soon.
wem
NDPreps Starter

Postby woodchuck10 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:42 am

I agree! The numbers we have don't work for an 8 region 16 district class B. It should be something like 4 regions and 12 districts. Each district would have 8 or 9 teams. Top 4 goto the regional, so a 48 team single elimination tourney to crown a champion. Instead of 8 team "state" we could have a final four.
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby classB4ever » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:58 am

IMHO, it all goes back to lack of parity. Just 5-7 years ago, there were 4-5 teams in most districts who had a legitimate shot at upsetting the favorite 1 or 2 teams. People would show up to watch all the games because of this. Now, it seems there is little chance of any of these teams competing in the districts let alone when they move forward to the regionals. Fans show up for their home team and take off after that game, only to be replaced by the next set of fans. They (NDHSAA) have tried numerous things to alleviate this except the obvious.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby d_fense » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:20 pm

woodchuck10 wrote:I agree! The numbers we have don't work for an 8 region 16 district class B. It should be something like 4 regions and 12 districts. Each district would have 8 or 9 teams. Top 4 goto the regional, so a 48 team single elimination tourney to crown a champion. Instead of 8 team "state" we could have a final four.

A 4 team state tournament would never fly. That would cut the tournament to 4 games and 2 days. The decreased interest of fans and loss of revenue would be huge.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby hoophoophoop » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:29 am

I'm from Richland, I like the super region because it does help Richland out, most years district 2 was playing for one spot to go to region, always penciled in Oak Grove, Central Cass and Kindred, the big schools, District 1 would maybe have one or two good teams, and two bad teams would make regions and Richland would never make it but would have certainly made it if in District 1. Now it makes sure the best teams are in the Regions playing each other, no more first round byes for District two.
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ReadyToPlay » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:06 pm

Been out of town for the last few days so didn't have time to reply. I am from Region 2, which consists of a single playoff game in the super region . There is no district tournament in this super region, so that leaves most teams with 2 games in 16 days before the regional tournament. This is just ridiculous as teams are supposed to be conditioning in actual games instead of practicing for 2 weeks solid--almost taking a Christmas break again. This is why I had the opinion of getting back to the district or some pre type tournament, to keep the teams conditioned and sharp. Yes, there maybe some blowouts, but again the underdog teams and their towns would be involved in a tournament atmosphere(which perhaps is as big as a state tournament for some of them). I believe the ball players and coaches of the higher seeded teams would also like playing in some kind of pre-tournament instead of sitting on their butts practicing for 2 weeks! Practicing isn't going to motivate or pump up any adrenalin like games do....
ReadyToPlay
NDPreps Starter

Postby wem » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:55 pm

You probably need to talk to your AD about how he schedules games. Like it or not, the super region is here to stay. It won't be long and this region will be having more coops/less teams.
wem
NDPreps Starter

Postby ReadyToPlay » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:46 am

You are correct, Wem, with small towns eroding, meaning fewer teams to make up the field. I do think this has peaked in the last few years however, as many of the towns that have needed to combine have already done so as they simply have to abbreviate initials for space on the program or scoreboard. Again, just to keep my opinion of not calling it a district tournament then, but a pre region type tournament to keep the higher seeds staying sharp, fan involvement, team spirit, and lower teams getting to participate (in a tournament in which they feel like they are proud for a few days), why not have the 8 region teams that have played all year format a tournament in the likes of a double elimination district tournament? Higher plays lower, the middle of the pack plays, etc---you know the system....example: 6 upsets 3, things get crazy, and all of the sudden 3 wasn't as good or consistent as they thought they were and number 6 has improved to where they made it to the Region tournament. Another factor to remember is that within the year, some of these super region teams only played once, so at that time it was considered a two point game. So a pre-tournament would, in most cases, give a team that lost a very close contest the only time they played, another shot at redemption. And, ok, if they have met the two times during the year, a 2 out 3 scenario really gives a good guage of consistency. I see no downside whatsoever in doing this as everyone would have "basketball fever" going into the big Regional tournament. After all, many other schools throughout the state still have district tournaments and are playing games three days before Regions start, as it should be! As far as contacting the AD for better scheduling, sometimes there are weird made up rules for playing region teams after certain dates, etc., but a pre-region tournament would free up that rule and would allow the kids to "play ball" through February! I am sure that number 6 team would be forever grateful to you as everyone would have wrote their season off if it hadn't been for that pre-region tournament...
ReadyToPlay
NDPreps Starter

Postby ReadyToPlay » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:13 am

Just to add to my post, the districts that get to play ball while super region teams are sitting are posted on Runs district tournaments post. These districts are #5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,15,16. And guess what? They start Feb 24 and go through Feb 27. This coincidently is the dead time for super region teams..As Trump would say," sad, very sad"...
ReadyToPlay
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:24 am

Ready to play, most Region 1 teams do play on the 24th. And I think it is a Region game that counts for seeding in most instances
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:42 am

ReadyToPlay wrote:Just to add to my post, the districts that get to play ball while super region teams are sitting are posted on Runs district tournaments post. These districts are #5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,15,16. And guess what? They start Feb 24 and go through Feb 27. This coincidently is the dead time for super region teams..As Trump would say," sad, very sad"...

The 'dead time' for super regional teams is actually more because of the scheduling for Girls Region tournaments...most regions won't have games played during this time because they need 'people in the seats' at the Region tournament. I know at the school I'm associated with, and I'm sure MANY others, the boys games are better attended then the girls games. Super Regions usually play 1 game during the time that the other districts are having their tournaments...but with districts bumping up with Girls Regions...that calls for a LONG break.

My wish is for Region 1 to allow 21 games (like the rest of the state) and moving their play-in game date closer to the actual Region Tournament (If it starts on a Monday, make the play-in game Friday or Saturday instead of 1 week or more out); therefore the extra game can be played closer to the time frame of the 1st Round/Play-In is now (that extra game would have to be a region game...but that allows a non-region game to be played somewhere in middle of season).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:07 am

I like the super region idea, but I don't think they have the correct format down yet. I'd like to see all the play-in games at one site on a Saturday, then play the final eight as it always is on Mon, Tues, Thurs. That way regions with 14 teams can still use the super region format by having more games on that Saturday. If it doesn't work to have all at the same neutral site due to weekend scheduling, let the region schools bid on holding that first day of games. That way the small towns still have a chance to make their money.

I also agree the double elim spelled the end of the districts, plus the loss of the number of teams. A single elim format makes for so much better atmosphere as it is win or go home. Playing 4 days of games to eliminate 2-3 teams just doesn't make sense and it all but ends the upset bids as the top team can easily play their way back into the region.

Another thing I like about the super regions is that it allows 2 more regular season games. Why region 1 limits that to 1, I don't know. Look at all the great non-region contests we had this year with the top teams travelling to play other top teams clear across the state. If all regions went to this, it would allow even more of it for that teams willing/wanting to do it. For the poorer teams it also allows them to find a few more winnable games against comparable competition.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ReadyToPlay » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:38 am

I believe we are all on the same page. The perfect solution, as ndlionsfan noted, would be a day of playin games at a given site on the Friday before regions start. I say Friday because you need to have Saturday available as a back up storm day. This solution would at least give everyone something and would keep the tournament atmosphere heated up...
ReadyToPlay
NDPreps Starter

Postby Big Blue » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:23 am

I have gotten to love Regionals. Yep I said it. And I won't refer them as super regionals (such a stupid name). There is a regional play-in round and regionals. I have really enjoyed single elimination as well. My one grip is simple: have the play-ins at one site. Make it a tournament site and let the media cover all games instead of picking one. Other than that, it's been great!
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby wem » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:58 pm

Ready to play; Not sure what you meant about the #6 seed being grateful for pre-region play. I'm sure I missed something.
wem
NDPreps Starter

Postby ReadyToPlay » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:48 am

Totally just an example only. Just saying that any lesser team in a given region could have had their best player out or the flu bug hits a team during some crucial games during the regular season, and if there were to be a double elimination pre-regional tournament, a team could show their true potential, gelling in this pre-tournament and all of the sudden they make the Regional tournament. But since this idea of a double elimination pre-region tournament would never fly, I am concurring with a lot of the posts yesterday of at least having a one day play in tournament at one given site on a Friday (Saturday weather backup) before Regional tournament.
ReadyToPlay
NDPreps Starter

Postby classbman » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:46 pm

Agree with you Ready to Play. These athletes work hard all year to get to that "Bigger Venue". Have all the play in games where the tourney is played. Let all the players in the region get there.
classbman
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:05 pm

ReadyToPlay wrote:Totally just an example only. Just saying that any lesser team in a given region could have had their best player out or the flu bug hits a team during some crucial games during the regular season, and if there were to be a double elimination pre-regional tournament, a team could show their true potential, gelling in this pre-tournament and all of the sudden they make the Regional tournament. But since this idea of a double elimination pre-region tournament would never fly, I am concurring with a lot of the posts yesterday of at least having a one day play in tournament at one given site on a Friday (Saturday weather backup) before Regional tournament.

in what post do you describe how this "pre region" tournament will run? or is it a district tournament with a different name?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:20 pm

classbman wrote:Agree with you Ready to Play. These athletes work hard all year to get to that "Bigger Venue". Have all the play in games where the tourney is played. Let all the players in the region get there.

Agree with you that this is the best scenario, but not always easy to accomplish in scheduling with venues. A lot of the region venues are also home to mens/womens college teams or are community venues with other tournaments/shows that are often scheduled on weekends. Yes, the Mon/Tues/Thurs schedule works great but adding in a Fri/Sat may not work. If you can't do that, then host that first round in a region team's facility or at the very least two separate team's facilities. At least you get some type of tournament atmosphere instead of just a single game.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:35 pm

In my opinion if you have a super region play in game you should reward the teams that earned the better seed with a home game. I understand that for fans and media, one neutral location would be idea, but then again not all of the region tournaments are played on a neutral floor the way it is.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby d_fense » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:40 pm

The Schwab wrote:In my opinion if you have a super region play in game you should reward the teams that earned the better seed with a home game. I understand that for fans and media, one neutral location would be idea, but then again not all of the region tournaments are played on a neutral floor the way it is.

I understand your opinion, I just disagree. I think the reward for finishing as a higher seed, is that you get to play a lower seed. In my mind that is enough of a reward.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to Boys