dump cold super region

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: dump cold super region

Postby winner-within » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:41 pm

For years and years and years, in fact since Class B originated young athletes worked thier tails off to get to the Regionals (that is what we always called them) for some teams it wasn't in the cards year in and year out no matter what the situation, but now and then the smalls or the the cindarella would sneak in and then even sneak to State.....in the early 70's only one team left the district tourn and made it to the Regional, then it evolved into 2 teams from each dist. made up the Region tourn etc etc...

bottom line? it has always been a combination of "players and program" (and some advantages as stated below) when it comes to who left each district and made it to the Region tourn....but each district then had many more teams and the District tournament for most fans was much more fun than the region tournament was as far as atmosphere....and I suspect in the 5 regions that are still hosting District tournaments that maybe, maybe not, things have dwindled a bit when it comes to atmosphere and attendance, rightfully so....but the Region format lets say for Region 2 and Region 1 as we speak makes the most since in the aspect of more regular season games played and having all teams in Region play one another at least one time (I personally think a they could eliminate some of the 1 point games and find someone else to play) even though more travel is involved.

also, to have all the play in games at one site makes no sense to me....because who gets the night game and who gets the day game etc etc and along with that the district tourns of the past weren't always where the Region Tourn was ......in fact more importantly make sure there is no home team advantage at any of the Region tournaments....

think of this scenario and see if things have bettered.....In the old District 10 days the town of Cavalier (Class A then) is where Districts were played, well, when Cavalier switched from Class A to Class B in 1980 the District tourn was on their home floor....now with that and the fact that they had 70 to 80 kids in each Class do you think they had a slight advantage come District Tournament? same goes for Langdon......do you think folks would be griping nowadays? haha..... :)

things get thought out much better these days IMO and the format in place now for the eastern side of the State Region 1 and 2 IMO is the right format...
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:53 pm

d_fense wrote:
The Schwab wrote:In my opinion if you have a super region play in game you should reward the teams that earned the better seed with a home game. I understand that for fans and media, one neutral location would be idea, but then again not all of the region tournaments are played on a neutral floor the way it is.

I understand your opinion, I just disagree. I think the reward for finishing as a higher seed, is that you get to play a lower seed. In my mind that is enough of a reward.

Playing a lower seed is a good reward and probably enough of one. I see both sides of the argument. I understand that people think everyone should get a chance to play on the "regional floor". I guess my point of the home court advantage aspect is in the 8-9 game and the 7-10 game. It doesn't really matter to schools from the money aspect, because all of the money goes to the state anyway. If I were just a basketball fan I would for sure want the play-in games to be at one site.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby ReadyToPlay » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:48 pm

Flip, I guess I just through out the name pre-region tournament since these teams are in a super region format which lacks the labeling "district." Everyone is familiar of the district tournament atmosphere, with the pump up effect, elementary kids with signs, community hype, etc for at least two games if you are a down team. The words "District tournament" is an icon for excitement in us old folks.
Just another negative on this lone single playoff game at 7pm at night, is that I had to pay a $7 ticket, drove 40 miles, game was a blowout at halftime, never did get to the popcorn, and janitors were already leaf blowing the bleachers before I stepped out to the commons area. Just a fantastic time! So I got home and started this pre-region/district thread because I was disgusted....
ReadyToPlay
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsfan25 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:20 pm

I am with what most people have said on many topics. For one example, District 1 just 10 years ago had 9 teams in the district; so they had a DISTRICT play-in game, and a single elimination tournament. Over the years the schools went to sports co-ops and the district went to a double-elimination tournament and now the Super Regional (and whether or not I like the name, that's how I'll refer to it because that's what it's called).

Here's the one thing no one is considering. The girls STATE tournament is the weekend before the boys' regional tournament. To have a play-in game on the Friday or Saturday before the boys' regional starts isn't feasible for 1 team from each region every year. While that may be one of the "Big B's" a lot of the time, what about the small town that upsets the powerhouse and makes it to state. Then you're either missing a bunch of the town for the boys' regional game (potentially the last game of the year) or you're pulling people from a state tournament (a once in a generation for some communities). It just doesn't work with the way the seasons are situated right now. I agree that top seeds in a region not playing in a game for a week and a half is too long, but with the current season format there isn't a good solution. I know some will say to move girls' basketball to the fall, but what about a Super B State Tournament? Or maybe instead of a 2-week gap between the boys' and girls make it 1 or 3? I haven't done the math, but there has to be a an improvement over what's happening now; I just don't think bringing back districts on a state-wide basis is the answer.

And I'm not saying what's happening now isn't an improvement over a double-elimination tournament to eliminate a couple of teams. I'm saying that things are always evolving and changing and instead of griping about change and longing for days gone by, let's look at solutions to improve the situation we're in now. JMHO
sportsfan25
NDPreps Starter

Postby wem » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:10 am

I'm not at all for a super B. It would certainly hurt girls having to share the spotlight with boys. Also been to these tourneys at domes with a split court with a rug in between.(Class A) This is horrible. It reminds me of taking my kids to travel ball tourneys and having to continually tell them to play through the whistles. Class A is boring anyway, but its made it worse anytime they go to split court venues in both Vollyball and Basketball. Lets preserve the B, and leave it alone. Its the best we have in ND.
wem
NDPreps Starter

Postby ReadyToPlay » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:00 pm

I thinks sportsfan25 came up with a good solution concerning the ability to have the play-in games at one site to retain this tournament atmosphere, prior to regions. Dare I say that basketball is more popular than volleyball mainly due to the time of year? Winter definitely in this part of the country has to packed with activities to get us through. So here is a proposal--- Cut the fall volleyball season short by just 1 week, resulting the girls basketball starting 1 week earlier. Then we would have the 3 weeks in between the girls and boys to accomplish things. The boys and girls could still play the double header games together (for fans and busing) on the majority of the season as the girls could be playing non region games 3 weeks before boys season starts and boys could finish up their last 3 weeks with non region games. This way their is room for fans and players to maneuver. The current way of scheduling now is just a bottleneck as you can see it during the season----gym time for practicing, low attendance at all of the games, and just a nightmare for ADs to schedule when everything is packed together so tightly. Just spread it out only 7 days from the beginning and it would allow for so much more flexibility in everybody's life.
ReadyToPlay
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:28 pm

or just start VB a week earlier, pretty sure they're the last sport to start in the fall.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ReadyToPlay » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:37 pm

Agree
ReadyToPlay
NDPreps Starter

Previous

Return to Boys