2017 Region Tournaments

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2017 Region Tournaments

Postby NodakQ2 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:16 pm

Region 4 appears to also be postponed until Thursday...
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:02 pm

4 & 6 are PPD...changes made above
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby chief45 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:37 pm

With Regions 4, 6, & 8 being postponed how will the seeding be determined for the state tournament?
chief45
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:46 pm

chief45 wrote:With Regions 4, 6, & 8 being postponed how will the seeding be determined for the state tournament?

Same as always, just won't seed until Saturday night.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:52 pm

packers21 wrote:
chief45 wrote:With Regions 4, 6, & 8 being postponed how will the seeding be determined for the state tournament?

Same as always, just won't seed until Saturday night.

Seed release details to come...all 3 regions will start with 3rd Place games at 1:00p
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby winner-within » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:36 pm

little over view from day one at "The Betty"

Cavalier/HCV
game was over before it started essentially...Cavalier has had a bouncy (no pun) season bouncing from bad to mediocre and back again....you could say it (the test of time) started 2 days before practice was allowed to start when they announced a new head coach....never easy to get it all together with new blood (per say) at the helm along with the fact he having zero Varsity coaching experience, with that said they did beat M-M both times they played them but the hinder was IMO, only getting one 2 point Region game under their belt with the victory over Griggs along with losing both to Grafton, when a win was there being in the lead by 7 late in the game and then losing by 2 ....and then being ahead of PR by 15 and losing in OT on their second meeting....HCV hammers hard and bolts when its there...strong D is a must if you are going to hang with them....IMO they go on and win this tournament this year.

Grafton/Larimore
Good match up... Polar Bears did well with Albright, holding him in check and plugging up the middle with a strong zone D.....it was some good shooting down the stretch for Grafton that was the difference....

Thompson/HN
like the early game this one started 20 to zero before the tip off and the race was on and done with fast
had the mercy rule not kicked in 100 points would have been inevitable....in retrospect the Tommies shot out the lights....Mr. Scwabe must have a key to the betty too.. :D I think tonight will be a bit tougher with MPCG but Thomp looks determined

M-M/MPCG
I stayed for this one knowing it would be a ball game...Coaches were both on their game and the competition was fierce....was amazed at the substituting from both sides but especially from M-M, it was very impressive when it comes to contribution and execution....in the end MPCG was the better team led by not the scoring of Ian C. (15 pts) but the facilitation and overall foresight down the stretch....I will say young D. Shuster showed his desire to win (not that others didn't but you know what I mean) also...

reffing? overall very good! IMO
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby NodakQ2 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:20 pm

Region 3 thriller...final

Carrington 53
Linton 52
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Bigbrew22 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:06 pm

TLMM pulled it off over Solen by 47 41 I think
Bigbrew22
NDPreps Starter

Postby canoworms » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:23 am

TLMM 48 Solen 43
Washburn 55 BISMARCK Shiloh Christian 53

Any one there? Two ranked teams go down.

BISMARCK Shiloh Christian vs Solen for third place wow!! bet both thought they would be playing for the championship
canoworms
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Bigbrew22 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:37 am

I was at the first game but not the other, I wish I'd stayed. Ya I know I got the score wrong and I was there lol
Bigbrew22
NDPreps Starter

Postby NodakQ2 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:29 am

canoworms wrote:TLMM 48 Solen 43
Washburn 55 BISMARCK Shiloh Christian 53

Any one there? Two ranked teams go down.

BISMARCK Shiloh Christian vs Solen for third place wow!! bet both thought they would be playing for the championship

Technically from the last "media" poll of the year, only one of these teams is ranked. So that leaves 8 "ranked" teams left along with a couple "RV's". (Linton and Solen are gone) We will lose at least three more in Region's 2, 4 and 7, leaving 5 that could make State. An upset here or there and you could end up with only 3 (at a minimum) ranked teams in the tournament. (more than likely 4 IMO) Should be fun!

Will be interesting to compare "Run's Formula" to the Media poll when all is said and done.
Last edited by NodakQ2 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:43 am

to my knowledge there is no coach's poll
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:03 pm

Flip is correct, the current poll is media, the only time the coaches rank teams is for the state tournament seeding process and that's only the 8 teams that make it to state that vote.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby NodakQ2 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:20 pm

Flip wrote:to my knowledge there is no coach's poll

I'm sorry, I meant "media"...not coaches...I know better but just mis-spoke. I will correct/edit above post.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B-oldtimer » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:47 am

Who's going to win region 2 between Thompson and Hillsboro/central valley. I see they have split in the season with both of them winning by double digits. Basketball is only sport that Thompson hasn't gone to state with Schwabe brothers and won a state title in.
Winner-within your awfully tough on your home team their I thought they had pretty good season with number young kids they were playing this year had to expect up and down season with bunch of Freshman and Sophomores playing this year. What I saw of them that is going to be one tough team in future. Also hard to judge coaching with young team I always look to see if they are improving and playing with effort through whole season. Knowing your new coach and how I know he's hard working individual and puts forth effort in what he does I believe he will become very good coach for Cavalier. I believe in next three years your going to see very competitive team representing Cavalier.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby wan2bqb » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:44 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:REGION 5
@ Bismarck Legacy
March 6th, 7th & 9th

Monday, March 6th
G1: D10-1 Turtle Lake-Mercer-McClusky def. D9-4 Flasher 54-48
G2: D9-2 (4) Solen def. D10-3 Underwood 65-32
G3: D9-1 (RV) Shiloh Christian def. D10-4 Wilton-Wing 60-37
G4: D10-2 Washburn def. D9-3 Standing Rock 56-49

Tuesday, March 7th
G5: D10-1 Turtle Lake-Mercer-McClusky def. D9-2 (4) Solen 48-43
G6: D10-2 Washburn def. D9-1 (RV) Shiloh Christian 55-53

Thursday, March 9th
3rd Place: D9-1 (RV) Shiloh Christian (17-6) vs. D9-2 (4) Solen (19-3)
Championship: D10-1 Turtle Lake-Mercer-McClusky (16-7) vs. D10-2 Washburn (13-11)

This is why you have to love Class B Basketball. NO ONE had either TL-M-M or Washburn in the state tourney and one of them will be. Good luck to them both. Enjoy the ride. And I hope that one of them has the opportunity to turn a few heads at State!!!
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby OldSchoolBaller » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:50 am

B-oldtimer wrote:Who's going to win region 2 between Thompson and Hillsboro/central valley. I see they have split in the season with both of them winning by double digits. Basketball is only sport that Thompson hasn't gone to state with Schwabe brothers and won a state title in.
Winner-within your awfully tough on your home team their I thought they had pretty good season with number young kids they were playing this year had to expect up and down season with bunch of Freshman and Sophomores playing this year. What I saw of them that is going to be one tough team in future. Also hard to judge coaching with young team I always look to see if they are improving and playing with effort through whole season. Knowing your new coach and how I know he's hard working individual and puts forth effort in what he does I believe he will become very good coach for Cavalier. I believe in next three years your going to see very competitive team representing Cavalier.

This is a very tough one to predict. Both teams are very evenly matched, and have not been to the State B for a long time. Hillsboro in '99 and Central Valley won in '93. Thompson (correct me if I am wrong) has never been to state for basketball. I think in the end though, if Hillsboro Central Valley can control the pace, and make this a physical affair, they will come out on top.

On a side note, I went to watch the 1st round of games and did not realize the amount of youth that Thompson has. It looks like they will be reloading for a while. You think of this team as having veterans with Calen Schwabe, Sorby, Hegg, and even Cadyn Schwabe(although a Sophmore been playing since he was an 8th grader), but their bench is plump full of Sophmores and Freshmen. I would expect them to make at least 1 state run in the next few years after this one.
“It’s not the will to win that matters – everyone has that. It’s the will to prepare to win that matters.” - Paul "Bear" Bryant
OldSchoolBaller
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:14 am

HCV is playing as well as anyone in the state right now. I think they have to be the favorite.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby BigBlueNation1 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:32 pm

OldSchoolBaller wrote:
B-oldtimer wrote:Who's going to win region 2 between Thompson and Hillsboro/central valley. I see they have split in the season with both of them winning by double digits. Basketball is only sport that Thompson hasn't gone to state with Schwabe brothers and won a state title in.

This is a very tough one to predict. Both teams are very evenly matched, and have not been to the State B for a long time. Hillsboro in '99 and Central Valley won in '93. Thompson (correct me if I am wrong) has never been to state for basketball. I think in the end though, if Hillsboro Central Valley can control the pace, and make this a physical affair, they will come out on top.

On a side note, I went to watch the 1st round of games and did not realize the amount of youth that Thompson has. It looks like they will be reloading for a while. You think of this team as having veterans with Calen Schwabe, Sorby, Hegg, and even Cadyn Schwabe(although a Sophmore been playing since he was an 8th grader), but their bench is plump full of Sophmores and Freshmen. I would expect them to make at least 1 state run in the next few years after this one.

Not with their coach they won't. Always gets out coached in big games. Been happening for the past 3 years. Hard to see it ending any time soon.
BigBlueNation1
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Bigbrew22 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:46 pm

TLMM squeaked by Washburn 50-48 in a crazy game! Trojans torched the cards out of the gate and had a 18 point lead I think at the half then the tides turned Washburn was up by 1 with only seconds left but a foul put TL on the line to win it
Bigbrew22
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:35 am

Some obvious speculation on my part, but seeds for state tournament at this point.
1. FW/SJ if either advances
2/3. HCV/DT
and I think OG in the mix for a 4 or 5 seed.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby NodakQ2 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:00 am

Since it seems "slow" here, lets do some premature State seeding:

If Four Winds or St Johns comes out of Region 4, I believe we will have our 1 seed.

Trinity 2 (an argument could be made for Hillsboro)
Hillsboro 3
Oak Grove 4

If Ryan wins, they should get #5. If Ryan does not come out of their region, the winner may get the 5. I think with Ellendales good showing as of late, they could also get the 5 if Ryan loses. Kenmare, Des Lacs and Parshal could also be in this conversation.

Let's here it...
Last edited by NodakQ2 on Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NodakQ2 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:01 am

sorry I missed your post Flip...:) I gotta believe everyone will be on the same page for the top 4. Unless Ryan wins, #5 is a toss up.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cmplx6 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:23 am

#1 Seed Winner of Region 4 (St. John or 4Winds)
#2 Seed Dickinson Trinity
#3 Seed Hillboro
#4 Seed Oak Grove
#5 Seed Kenmare (Predicted Winner of Region 8)
Random Draws
Our Redeemers
Turtle Lake
Ellendale
cmplx6
NDPreps Starter

Postby Howie » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:15 am

Feel bad for the kids from Beulah...tough result to swallow last night
Howie
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext