Who can knock off Four Winds-Minnewaukan?

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Who can knock off Four Winds-Minnewaukan?

Postby Big Blue » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:21 pm

I was looking at Four Winds-Minnewaukan's remaining schedule today and man they have some solid teams remaining on their schedule. In your guys' opinion who has the best shot of knocking off the state's No. 1 teams. They have already played a tough schedule with top teams including Dickinson Trinity, Des Lacs Burlington and North Star. Some of their tough opponents remaining on their schedule include: Hillsboro-Central Valley, New Rockford-Sheyenne, Beulah, Carrington, Harvey-Wells County, Rugby, Thompson or Shiloh Christian. Who has the parts in place to give the Indians a run for their money?
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Who can knock off Four Winds-Minnewaukan?

Postby scout_101 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:11 am

I think Thompson is built more like 4winds. If Thompson Gaurds play great, I think that would be the key to beat fw/m. Also attack tronis McKay early. When Grafton played them earlier this year, he had 4 fouls in the 1st QAURTER!
scout_101
NDPreps Starter

Postby bounce_32 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:17 am

I have not seen all the teams you have listed play, but I have been watching the scores. I did go watch FWM play NS in Devils Lake. I just don't think any of these teams have what it takes to beat FWM. They play with a level of intensity that is overwhelming. It is like fighting a grass fire with them. If you let off they will consume you Offensively and on Defense. You would have to shut down 4-5 guys on their offense and I don't see any team that can do that. JM2C Bounce!
Talent is never enough, it's usually the hardest workers that come out on top!
bounce_32
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:28 am

I'm not sure what Beulah has this year or Shiloh, but they always have tough teams and are well coached. Thompson could have the right players to knock them off if they get them on an off night. I don't see HCV, NRS, HWC, or Rugby getting close. Carrington is putting together a nice season, but not sure if they have the right combination of players to get it done. If I were to rank the opponents with the best shot I'd go Shiloh, Thompson, Carrington, Beulah depending on where the games are played based on who those teams have played this season and the outcomes. Haven't seen any of them play.

I do think the best chance for FWM to lose this season might be at state. If they come in undefeated and on the big stage to repeat, the pressure might get to them a bit in a game.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Big Blue » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:19 am

I agree NDLionsfan, but I will say that tonight's game against HCV COULD be interesting. On paper, I think Hillsboro-Center Valley has what it take to give Four Winds-Minnewaukan fits. They have two good guards in Henningsgard and Reed that can shoot, handle the ball and break the press. HCV also has a nice post player in Camrud. In general, they are a pretty strong defensive team as well. With that said, it's a tall task. But if everything clicks for HCV and Four Winds-Minnewauak has an off-shooting night, it could be an interesting game.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby d_fense » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:40 am

I guess I disagree with most of what Big Blue said. I don't think HCV can stick with FWM. HCV does have 2 good guards, but the strength of neither is ball handling or shooting, which will be a problem. I'm not saying Reed and Henningsgard are bad shooters or ball handlers. I think they are both about average in those areas. What makes them both good players is their strength, experience, confidence, and decision making. I do agree that HCV has pretty good size and an above average inside game. IMO what makes HCV a good team is they do work very hard on the defensive end of the court. The only issue that I have seen them have consistently on defense is getting back. Teams seem to have success leaking out on them and getting cheap layups. I don't think FWM will have an off night shooting because even if they struggle from deep, I think they will get a number of layups, and they will shoot them well.

Obviously any team can fall to another, even if the chances are small. Teams that I haves watched that I think could potentially beat FWM include St. John, Thompson, Milnor/North Sargent, and Northern Cass. Each of these teams has very strong guard play as far as handling pressure and controlling tempo. I have not witnessed Thompson shoot well enough from 3 to say that they could shoot like I think they would need to in order to beat FWM, but they have good enough athletes that I think they would have a chance. I have seen the other 3 I mentioned shoot well enough from deep to have a legitimate chance to beat FWM. I don't think any of the teams I mentioned would have a 50/50 chance, but I would not be surprised at all if any of them were to win.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:10 pm

I literally would be surprised whoever beats FW's and it could be If they were to lose that they beat themselves
I thought that they would take a step back from last year after Feather and others graduated off but after seeing them play, they may even be better all around....McKay is just coasting, he could go off for 30 a night if Smith said Go!...... and they are deep....there strong point is how they bother you and their court sense of where one another is and their reaction to a play.....continuity is in their culture of play and there is no glory boys...
just my take
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Big Blue » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:25 pm

d_fense wrote:I guess I disagree with most of what Big Blue said. I don't think HCV can stick with FWM. HCV does have 2 good guards, but the strength of neither is ball handling or shooting, which will be a problem. I'm not saying Reed and Henningsgard are bad shooters or ball handlers. I think they are both about average in those areas. What makes them both good players is their strength, experience, confidence, and decision making. I do agree that HCV has pretty good size and an above average inside game. IMO what makes HCV a good team is they do work very hard on the defensive end of the court. The only issue that I have seen them have consistently on defense is getting back. Teams seem to have success leaking out on them and getting cheap layups. I don't think FWM will have an off night shooting because even if they struggle from deep, I think they will get a number of layups, and they will shoot them well.

Obviously any team can fall to another, even if the chances are small. Teams that I haves watched that I think could potentially beat FWM include St. John, Thompson, Milnor/North Sargent, and Northern Cass. Each of these teams has very strong guard play as far as handling pressure and controlling tempo. I have not witnessed Thompson shoot well enough from 3 to say that they could shoot like I think they would need to in order to beat FWM, but they have good enough athletes that I think they would have a chance. I have seen the other 3 I mentioned shoot well enough from deep to have a legitimate chance to beat FWM. I don't think any of the teams I mentioned would have a 50/50 chance, but I would not be surprised at all if any of them were to win.

I agree with you on one thing. Kyle Henningsgard is just a pretty good shooter. After that, I completely disagree. He is among best handlers in the state (top five A or B). The kid doesn't get much credit because he isn't a scorer, but I think he is a great true point guard that any DII, NAIA or JUCO would love to have. Do I think they will beat Four Winds-Minnewaukan? No, not at all. But they have some of the qualities (good guard play, a true post, deep bench) you need to give them a run. In my opinion, Thompson is only team on list that would give Four Winds-Minnewaukan fits. I think Shiloh has best chance of knocking them off to be honest.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:06 pm

Hillsboro-Central Valley just defeated Four Winds-Minnewaukan 68-63!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby bounce_32 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:44 pm

And I wasn't. Hats off to HCV!
Talent is never enough, it's usually the hardest workers that come out on top!
bounce_32
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flying Wallenda » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:48 pm

Great performance by HCV. Controlled the game besides about 3-4 minutes in the 2nd. Kyle Henningsgard really controlled the game. Young Henningsgard played well off the bench, and Reed did his part as well. Camrud completely controlled the glass. HCV really dug in on the defensive end of the floor. Very impressive win.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby CoachB » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:32 pm

Well done HCV. I do not believe that it will be Four-Winds only loss either.
CoachB
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:11 am

you Jinxed them with the thread Big Blue.. :D

now is Big Blue Hatton-NW or HCV or Duke? :D

when theres a Henningsgard on the court anything can happen haha

big win for HCV and the top ten no longer has the Lone Wolf....we are in a season of "the game has to be played"...........thinking it over last night the game I watched with FW's playing was them against North Star
maybe NS isn't the team to gauge Fw's by because now NS has another loss even since that game.....non-the less, says something for Region 2 IMO...

hats off to HCV... :)

Third Quarter is important
Four Winds-Minn. 63

FWM 12 12 14 25--63

HCV 14 12 19 23--68

Four Winds-Minnewaukan --Tannor Dauphinais 2, Jaylen LaRock 8, Steve Redfox 14, Irvin Tomahawk 5, Tronis McKay 24, Charlie Black 10

Hillsboro-Central Valley—Tanner Linnell 12, Benjamin Dryburgh 5, Kyle Henningsgard 23, Carson Henningsgard 3, Austin Reed 20, Jack Camrud 5
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby senditin » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:13 pm

Stat of the game, FT attempted: HCV 34, FWM 5
senditin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Hinsa » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:02 pm

It did seem like FW-M got the short end of the stick more often than not on the 50-50 calls. I was tremendously impressed with their coach that he did not go raving mad and pick up a T when so many calls went against FW-M. HCV played a very physical game and it seemed to get FW-M off their game. FW-M did not match the physicality of HCV and ended up doing a lot of reaching with their hands. The officiating crew was definitely watching hands more than bodies.

The physicality also seemed to wear on McKay. He did not look smooth like his normal self until later in the 4th and by then it was too late. The Indians absolutely miss their inside threat from last year. The high post area was vacant most of the time and no one would flash in there and get that 10-footer in the lane. That's where they made a living last year was feeding the high post.

HCV matched the FW-M speed, quickness, and shooting, and then won the game with their defense and rebounding.

One thing needs to be said: that was an old-fashioned barn-burner of a game. The place was nearly full (they brought in some extra bleachers), the noise level was ear-splitting, players were showing emotion (positively, not whining or complaining), and after the game all people could say to each other was WOW! It was a tremendous game.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flying Wallenda » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:44 pm

I thought HCV attacked the hoop with abandon which is what got them to the line. I thought there was a ton of bodying up done by FW on the half court defense. I never saw a call that in my opinion would have warranted coach Smith coming unwound. The HCV defenders really played defense with there feet last night! Great atmosphere. One of the best HS games I've seen in a long time.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby Big Blue » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:37 pm

Hinsa wrote:It did seem like FW-M got the short end of the stick more often than not on the 50-50 calls. I was tremendously impressed with their coach that he did not go raving mad and pick up a T when so many calls went against FW-M. HCV played a very physical game and it seemed to get FW-M off their game. FW-M did not match the physicality of HCV and ended up doing a lot of reaching with their hands. The officiating crew was definitely watching hands more than bodies.

The physicality also seemed to wear on McKay. He did not look smooth like his normal self until later in the 4th and by then it was too late. The Indians absolutely miss their inside threat from last year. The high post area was vacant most of the time and no one would flash in there and get that 10-footer in the lane. That's where they made a living last year was feeding the high post.

HCV matched the FW-M speed, quickness, and shooting, and then won the game with their defense and rebounding.

One thing needs to be said: that was an old-fashioned barn-burner of a game. The place was nearly full (they brought in some extra bleachers), the noise level was ear-splitting, players were showing emotion (positively, not whining or complaining), and after the game all people could say to each other was WOW! It was a tremendous game.

It was an amazing basketball game. The atmosphere like you said was top notch. I was impressed with both teams for their poise and effort throughout the game. I thought hcv was fantastic and matched four winds-minnewaukan every step of the way. Their combination of top guards, one of the best rebounders in the state at post, good depth and strong defense makes them very dangerous. I must give credit to Four Winds-Minnewaukan for the way the remained composed throughout especially after the loss. I didn't see any whining or poor sportsmanship and coach Smith remaining very composed. A similar compliment must be paid to hcv who showed class after the big victory. It can be tough to keep that class after such a big win and I really respected their poise. It was an awesome game. I have tons of respect for both programs.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Big Blue » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:04 am

Four Winds-Minnewaukan had difficulties with New Rockford-Sheyenne in the first half yesterday leading 33-28 at the half. In the second half, the Indians took complete control. Defense was the key as the team held the Rockets to just 11 points in the final two quarters. The offense just isn't clicking right now for them. But their defense will put them over the top against a lot of opponents.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Boys