basketball box scores

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

basketball box scores

Postby hoophoophoop » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:02 pm

does anyone have any idea where to find box scores and good updates for scores, Fargo Forum is a joke
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: basketball box scores

Postby champcoach » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:18 pm

I agree! We have been saying the same thing all season. It's just Fargo box scores in the forum! Does anyone have a contact at the forum to ask why our small town school are not worthy of being in the paper anymore. Terrible!
champcoach
NDPreps Rookie

Postby vikingman » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:20 pm

why not tell your coaches to put them on MaxPreps after each game.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:04 pm

Fargo Forum is understaffed since Tom Mix took the position at the NDHSAA. The Forum will not have box scores until they get more people on-staff. The complaints have been occurring since the fall.

The GF Herald has box scores...but only for their area and what is reported to them...
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby The Schwab » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:07 pm

Dickinson Press does a fairly nice job of reporting box scores, but again, someone has to report them.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:29 pm

The Schwab wrote:Dickinson Press does a fairly nice job of reporting box scores, but again, someone has to report them.

Trib does too...not sure about MDN...not going to pay for an online subscription to find out

but the whole key is the schools are to report them and not all of them make the area papers...nothing is going to change at the Forum during the Winter, sadly.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:22 am

Jamestown Sun is usually pretty good for any Region 3 teams. I get most of what I need for Region 4 from GF Herald. Minot used to be excellent and maybe they still are, but since you have to pay to view them online now I haven't seen theirs for a few years.

I think more coaches/ADs and just not reporting. There are a lot of missing scores out there already this season.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:59 pm

There is no excuse that the Forum does not put in box scores. They need to keep a template of each area team and then copy and paste. It is annoying to have spell SMITH every time you call in a score. They even ask to email the stats which should make it even easier!!
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby d_fense » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:11 pm

scc wrote:Don't expect any changes. Boxscores don't make money. Clickbait does.

It may not tip the scales much, but it did cost the forum a little money. I did call and cancel my subscription when they were not putting in box sores during football.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby wem » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:33 am

Fargo Forum Is running one page articles on Fargo teams, whether it be high school or college. They have had a total disconnect with Class B, other than there beloved Grovers, but I guess there in Fargo too. I'm with de-fense, lets all cancel our subscriptions.
wem
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:45 am

wem wrote:Fargo Forum Is running one page articles on Fargo teams, whether it be high school or college. They have had a total disconnect with Class B, other than there beloved Grovers, but I guess there in Fargo too. I'm with de-fense, lets all cancel our subscriptions.

Use other newspapers to check box scores...cause as we've mentioned above nothing is going to change this year...and there are no box scores for those Fargo area teams UNLESS a reporter is covering that game live...just scores and barely a write-up on the games.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby lennylive » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:49 am

I wrote to the Forum about this matter...perhaps if they get enough negative emails they might think about it in the future...I also quit buying the paper for the same reason. No write up on local class B schools...no box scores. What a Disappointment from them. They use to cover it all... as did the Local News ..it is either a disconnect from the news/papers..or the schools..Or perhaps both.
lennylive
NDPreps Starter

Postby canoworms » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:05 am

A little off the subject but KX News out of Bismarck had zero class B scores on tv last night.
canoworms
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bequickdonthurry » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:12 am

Had a knowledgeable source tell me that Forum Communications revenue was down over a million dollars and that's led to downsizing. Mix may not be replaced in Fargo. They are also down a man at Jamestown. Don't expect that to change. Your subscription dollars are a pittance. It's ad money they are loosing.

The newspaper business is different, the internet is one of many reasons.

In some cases, it may be failure of coaches and ADs to report. But when sports departments are understaffed, and press deadlines are getting earlier (post office to blame and fewer physical printing locations), when box scores get 'called in' the old-fashioned way, you can just about guarantee they won't get printed.
bequickdonthurry
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:26 am

I'm curious what media accounts will post a score if you tweet them?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby go maji » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:43 am

MDN had 13 boys and girls class b box scores this morning.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:50 pm

go maji wrote:MDN had 13 boys and girls class b box scores this morning.

yeah but the price for an online subscription just for box scores isn't worth it.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Cap'n Crunch » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:16 am

Why doesn't every team in the state just put up their stats on maxpreps? Is there an issue with having to purchase an account or something? As a fan I was able to get one for free.
Cap'n Crunch
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:20 am

Cap'n Crunch wrote:Why doesn't every team in the state just put up their stats on maxpreps? Is there an issue with having to purchase an account or something? As a fan I was able to get one for free.

again not every team has a stats person (or a reliable one)...many times its coaches doing it well after the game via video. Its a nice site but not something that can be enforced. NDHSAA used to enforce stats onto their website...except there was no way to see it for the public and it was really confusing to do.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby d_fense » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:26 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Cap'n Crunch wrote:Why doesn't every team in the state just put up their stats on maxpreps? Is there an issue with having to purchase an account or something? As a fan I was able to get one for free.

again not every team has a stats person (or a reliable one)...many times its coaches doing it well after the game via video. Its a nice site but not something that can be enforced. NDHSAA used to enforce stats onto their website...except there was no way to see it for the public and it was really confusing to do.

The public could view all stats, at least for a time with the state website. That all fell apart when they "update" the site. But, you are right, it was not user-friendly at all.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby T reporter » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:48 am

As a reporter for a weekly paper I will not leave the gym without a copy ( or snap a picture ) of the score book. Home games are easy as the coaches are good about getting the copy. Most out of town games I track down the AD and things work out. If I didn't get to an out of town game I wait for the next home game so the report gets to be a week late but again it is a weekly small town paper.
There are times when the person who added up the points has made mistakes. I have caught some but I am sure I have missed some also.
Couple of weeks ago a kid was down for 36 points as I was going through my notes for the game things were not adding up and discovered he only had 34 and another kid had been shorted 2 points I corrected problem. Right or wrong.
The grandparents argued a few seconds at the next game until I showed them the score sheet. I knew this was going to happen so took the score sheet along for the next couple of games.
The other thing is no one reads a weekly paper unless there is a mistake and it going to happen sooner or later.
T reporter
NDPreps Starter

Return to Boys