2016-17 BBB POLLS

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2016-17 BBB POLLS

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:17 pm

Big Blue wrote:Any predictions on this week's poll? Could be an interesting one.

I think FW-M will still be #1 but the gap in votes will be closer!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby classB4ever » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:24 pm

Big Blue wrote:Any predictions on this week's poll? Could be an interesting one.

I am sure there will be some movers. I have been watching these various rankings, polls, etc. for some time now. One thing I don't believe these polls/rankings put enough emphasis on is away wins. It appears there are a lot of equally matched teams across the state. For teams to travel long distances and play in one day, especially if there is a bullseye on their back, is a good challenge. Also, teams that know one another well, it really doesn't matter what their records are, they always seem to play one another close. It seems that home wins are much more prevalent with teams this year. I haven't did a bunch of research to prove this, just an observation. I think we will start to see some trends shortly and will have more of an idea who is where.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:03 pm

SIXTH POLL

1. Four Winds-Minnewaukan (11) 7-1 135
2. Shiloh Christian (3) 8-1 113
3. Thompson 8-2 89
4. Northern Cass 6-1 78
5. Dickinson Trinity 10-2 73
6. Carrington 10-0 72
7. Hillsboro-Central Valley 6-2 63
8. Linton-HMB 7-1 43
9. St. John 9-0 38
10. Milnor-North Sargent 9-0 17
Others Receiving Votes: North Star (7-2), Bishop Ryan (7-1), Hankinson (7-1), Grafton (8-1), Oak Grove (6-2), Solen (8-1), Kenmare (9-1), New Rockford-Sheyenne (7-3).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Big Blue » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:50 am

And the Bulldogs go down. Looks like Milnor-North Sargent is one and done in the top ten.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby wan2bqb » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:02 am

Big Blue wrote:And the Bulldogs go down. Looks like Milnor-North Sargent is one and done in the top ten.

Sorry to disappoint you, but the Bulldawgs were in the top 10 two weeks in a row, Jan 9th and the 16th. But your right they are out now and deservedly so. I look for them to be back later in the year.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby Big Blue » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:12 am

I didn't mean weeks. I meant one trip to the top 10. In my opinion, they won't be back. No way they run the table considering their upcoming schedule.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby wan2bqb » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:31 am

So you think to stay in, or get in the top ten you can't have more than one loss???? Have you looked at the polls lately???? I never said they or anyone else would run the table. I think most everyone out there will lose at least one or two more. I will go on record that no one rolls into the state tournament undefeated. Sorry to the last couple of undefeated teams but it wont happen. I will also venture to say the Region one champs will have 2 or 3 losses before it all shakes out. And no I didn't pick M-NS to be my region 1 regular season champs. But with the best point guard in the region and possibly the state and some impressive talent surrounding him I wouldn't put it past them.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby wan2bqb » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:47 am

Big Blue wrote:I didn't mean weeks. I meant one trip to the top 10. In my opinion, they won't be back. No way they run the table considering their upcoming schedule.

And if one and done doesn't mean weeks, it means trips??? Wouldn't that mean Four Winds, everyones favorite to win it all including mine, or any other team currently in the top ten that doesn't make it to state but had been in the pools all season. (.ie, HCV or Thompson) wouldn't they also only get one trip into the polls. Possibly the most asinine statement I have ever heard.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby Big Blue » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:21 am

wan2bqb wrote:
Big Blue wrote:I didn't mean weeks. I meant one trip to the top 10. In my opinion, they won't be back. No way they run the table considering their upcoming schedule.

And if one and done doesn't mean weeks, it means trips??? Wouldn't that mean Four Winds, everyones favorite to win it all including mine, or any other team currently in the top ten that doesn't make it to state but had been in the pools all season. (.ie, HCV or Thompson) wouldn't they also only get one trip into the polls. Possibly the most asinine statement I have ever heard.

I mean Milnor-North Sargent hasn't played anyone that is relevant to the Top 10. Literally NO ONE. They lost to a bottom of the pack team. If Four Winds-Minnewaukan lost to the no. 10 team in their region, they shouldn't get votes either. Milnor-North Sargent plays the bulk of their tough schedule in the coming weeks. I see at least a loss or two in their future. So, in my opinion they won't be back in the polls.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Big Blue » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:55 am

If they beat Central Cass, Richland, Northern Cass and Oak Grove, Milnor-North Sargent should be ranked. I will leave it at that.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EHS1998 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:58 am

You may or may not be right about MNS being back in the polls but what true VALUE is there to being ranked in the polls in the first place? They are only a tool used for conjecture and discussion, they play absolutely no role in and have no impact on a teams ability to make it to State.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:05 am

.......2012 Beulah
.......2013 Milnor
.......2014 Oak Grove
.......2015 Rugby
.......2016 Four Winds/Minnewaukan

I don't think they were ranked much this year either..........

obviously a lot of heart and a solid program
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Big Blue » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:08 am

Hey guys, what forum are you posting on. 2016-2017 BBB POLLS.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Big Blue » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:14 am

I made no mention if Milnor/North Sargent will make state. I just think they won't be back in polls. Only reason I mention it, for over a month Bulldog fans have been arguing on here that they got left off. After all, this is a topic to talk about the polls and not about season outlook.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby wan2bqb » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:25 am

I agree M-NS has beat no one, literally no one. W-L may be better than we give them credit with wins over Kindred and M-NS. Polls are just talking points, nothing more. You have never heard me say that M-NS should be in the polls. I have them ranked fourth in the region right now and I have basically all year. That is my reply and now back to the polls. Come on over to Region 1 talk if you want to discuss further.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:32 am

Big Blue wrote:I made no mention if Milnor/North Sargent will make state. I just think they won't be back in polls. Only reason I mention it, for over a month Bulldog fans have been arguing on here that they got left off. After all, this is a topic to talk about the polls and not about season outlook.

Oh, you've dwindled off the topic a time or two....

although, its all trivial to me... :)
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Big Blue » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:43 am

:lol: I just think it's 'trivial' to talk about how polls have no meaning on the polls topic. No doubt I can stay off topic every once in a while. :lol:
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby d_fense » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:56 am

Big Blue wrote:I made no mention if Milnor/North Sargent will make state. I just think they won't be back in polls. Only reason I mention it, for over a month Bulldog fans have been arguing on here that they got left off. After all, this is a topic to talk about the polls and not about season outlook.

Big Blue... can you share with me one post from a bulldog fan saying that they got left off the Poll, as you state in this post? I don't recall that being stated and couldn't find any instance of that being said. I think Region 1 fans for the most part think that their region isn't given the credit they think it deserves for its strength and depth.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Big Blue » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:19 pm

You hit the nail on the head. Region I has so many teams that are so close. It is a very deep region. But when you beat each other up, you aren't going to have many teams rate high in polls. As I said before Region 1 is one of deepest in state, just doesn't consistently feature top teams. There was a post about about Milnor/North Sargent not being in the top 10 and a follow up agreeing with it. I will say it's pretty funny that you were the one bashing voters for including two of your teams very early this season. Now, Region I doesn't get any love.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Big Blue » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:34 pm

For a moderator, you are good at putting words in my mouth.

EHS1998 posted this early in the season. There were several responses agreeing.

The team that I think is most conspicuously absent from the top 10 is Milnor-North Sargent. If that isn't a top ten team (at a minimum), I don't know what is. They have an elite Class B PG, athleticism, perimeter shooting and size. I don't think they are playing great D yet but if they get that figured out, they could be a strong challenge to Northern Cass in Region 1. Region 1 feels like the deepest region in the state.

I do think that the voters are starting to sort things out. For example, North Star wasn't even getting votes last week and now they are #7, which I absolutely agree with as I thought it was an oversight that they weren't in the top 10.

All this said, I agree with the comments that while fun to discuss, in the overall scheme of things, polls are meaningless. An example, the Class 11A State Champs in football never cracked the top 10 this past season.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby wan2bqb » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:53 pm

Big Blue wrote:For a moderator, you are good at putting words in my mouth.

EHS1998 posted this early in the season. There were several responses agreeing.

The team that I think is most conspicuously absent from the top 10 is Milnor-North Sargent. If that isn't a top ten team (at a minimum), I don't know what is. They have an elite Class B PG, athleticism, perimeter shooting and size. I don't think they are playing great D yet but if they get that figured out, they could be a strong challenge to Northern Cass in Region 1. Region 1 feels like the deepest region in the state.

I do think that the voters are starting to sort things out. For example, North Star wasn't even getting votes last week and now they are #7, which I absolutely agree with as I thought it was an oversight that they weren't in the top 10.

All this said, I agree with the comments that while fun to discuss, in the overall scheme of things, polls are meaningless. An example, the Class 11A State Champs in football never cracked the top 10 this past season.

Good find and while I appreciate the support for Region 1 from EHS1998 I think you may find that he is actually a District 5 region 3 supporter. Not to split hairs. :shock: Polls are not worth their paper they are printed on, and come tourney time you never know who the glass slipper might fit, although I always love a good discussion. Have a good day gentleman.
Last edited by wan2bqb on Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby EHS1998 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:31 pm

I am definitely more familiar with Region 3 but I have seen a number of Region 1 teams and am familiar with many of their players. Despite the loss to W/L, I'm pretty confident MNS will make a strong post season run, irrespective of what the polls say. I think the loss is very indicative of the strength of Region 1.

I do fervently disagree with any assertion that polls are intrinsically valuable and and as such question how they would motivate anyone. Now, winning a District, Region, State, THOSE are motivating factors. I would love to hear a factual example of any coach using the Class B BBB poll as a motivating tool, as in, "let's be ranked in the top 10 by a bunch of people who have never seen us play." I can absolutely see the inverse happening with coaches, as in, "we are playing the 5th rated team, let's knock them off." I don't hate polls, I actually enjoy discussion around them, I just accept them for what they are really worth....nothing.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby EHS1998 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:19 pm

scc wrote:
EHS1998 wrote:I am definitely more familiar with Region 3 but I have seen a number of Region 1 teams and am familiar with many of their players. Despite the loss to W/L, I'm pretty confident MNS will make a strong post season run, irrespective of what the polls say. I think the loss is very indicative of the strength of Region 1.

I do fervently disagree with any assertion that polls are intrinsically valuable and and as such question how they would motivate anyone. Now, winning a District, Region, State, THOSE are motivating factors. I would love to hear a factual example of any coach using the Class B BBB poll as a motivating tool, as in, "let's be ranked in the top 10 by a bunch of people who have never seen us play." I can absolutely see the inverse happening with coaches, as in, "we are playing the 5th rated team, let's knock them off." I don't hate polls, I actually enjoy discussion around them, I just accept them for what they are really worth....nothing.

It can be a motivator for a team not in the top 10 to beat a top 10 team. I did not state it's a motivator to be ranked. Maybe you should start a petition to ban all polls in all levels of sports. ESPN and this message board would have a lot less to discuss.

Don't care enough about it. Also, please see my comment above about not hating polls and enjoying the discussion they can generate.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby wan2bqb » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:02 pm

EHS1998 wrote:I am definitely more familiar with Region 3 but I have seen a number of Region 1 teams and am familiar with many of their players. Despite the loss to W/L, I'm pretty confident MNS will make a strong post season run, irrespective of what the polls say. I think the loss is very indicative of the strength of Region 1.

:D :D :D Love this post. Hit the nail on the head. Its fun to give us old guys something to chew over and discuss. But I think we are in agreement they truly represent very little...we are just getting to the meat and potatoes of the schedule. Love me some high school ball and all the craziness that comes out this time of year. I guarantee there will be more upsets and baffling games to come. That's what they play the games...
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby tmd33643 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:46 am

Polls definitely mean something or none of us would be talking about it. They are a subjective measure of the best teams in the state. Is their mistakes and some teams that should be in get left out? Yes. Does it mean the top 10 teams automatically make state? Obviously not so I get the point that the polls don't mean much. And I suppose that's why we keep playing sports because the underdog can beat the #1 team from time to time. However, one reason why I like the polls is that it helps give me a good idea of the talented teams I don't get to watch play. Also, I agree that no coach's final goal is to get his team in the top 10 but it was fun when my team finally cracked the top 10 during my senior year. We fell out a short time later. I think the polls do have some
mistakes but that's to be expected and for the most part, the polls are pretty accurate.
tmd33643
NDPreps Reserve

PreviousNext

Return to Boys