2016-17 BBB POLLS

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2016-17 BBB POLLS

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:25 am

winner-within wrote:
winner-within wrote:I think its safe to say also, that after FWM, come March, there will be some wide openness to the entire field of Class B

Went to watch 1 vs 2 last night (RC Tourn).......I am going to take the "come March" out of the above post...
its right now as we speak, tweet, comment, or post.... :)

There is no doubt across the state that Four Winds is the #1 team in Class B, but come tournament time they should get some tests. In their state tourney run last year, their inside presence with Three Irons was spectacular, and this year it'll take a team with an inside/outside combination to beat them. To beat Four Winds, you need terrific guard play that can handle their pressure but you also need a big guy that can take over the middle.

I do believe that Tronis McKay was the best player on their team last year, and last year they had Mr. Basketball on their team. He's one of the best one-on-one players I've ever seen in the state of ND and he should definitely be a finalist for Mr. BB along with Moody, Carr, & Kyjuan.

I certainly respect the Four Winds program for their challenging schedule. To be a top program, you need to play a wide variety of good competition and kudos to their AD Dept. Other programs that want to be at their level should really take note; instead of playing their couple of cupcake games every year.

At this point it doesn't appear that anyone else that they have played this year is in their own league, but it could be a reflection of the "pollsters" being off a bit. Four Winds was tested last year by Northern Cass, and they are a team that would definitely compete again. I believe a couple of other teams from R1 could test Four Winds, among them being Hankinson & MNS. Whoever comes out of Region 1 will be a tough out at the state tournament because it is a difficult region with some great athletes.

On another note, Oak Grove handled Dickinson Trinity for the 2nd year in a row over the weekend, and Trinity is always a top 5 team in the "polls". While Oak Grove is very talented, the Grovers IMO are probably the 4th best team in their own Region. Their victory last weekend over Trinity, coupled with a 1 pt. loss to Shiloh, speaks of the strength of Region 1.

Again, Four Winds is the favorite down the stretch and deservingly so... but time will tell if there is a team that can match up with them this year. They haven't won the title yet and it'll take a great team with the right combination of players to beat them. The "polls" should even out by the end of the year, but we all know they mean nothing at this time.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:33 am

And last season Trinity beat FWM in Four Winds, what's your point? Any team on any given night. Remember a few years ago when North Star beat Beulah by 30 in Beulah during the regular season? Who won state that year? Beulah.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Big Blue » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:22 pm

Schwab, I agree with you. I must, however, say that Four Winds-Minnewaukan has to be a HEAVY favorite at this point. There aren't going to be many teams that play with 20 points of them. To the surprise to many across the state, the reason they will win state again this season IMO is not their offense. They have had much better offensive teams. But their defense is SO good. To hold opponents to 110 points in three games is impressive. Not to mention, they played No. 2 in the title and a region contender in the semifinals.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:37 pm

I am not disagreeing one bit that Four Winds Minnewauken is the heavy favorite, and they should be. I was responding to the comment about Trinity that seemed to question whether they are actually a good team year in and year out, I'll let you guys in on a little secret, they are THAT good every year. They are so well coached, so disciplined and so composed. When you get them on their home floor they are as close to unbeatable as any team in the state.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:02 pm

The last team I have watched that has comparable depth to Four Winds/Minn. in the last decade was the 2009 Linton/HMB team. Fourwinds/Minn. can just keep coming at you with talented bb players. Their defense is top notch and they have the ability to wear teams down over the course of the game. Not too mention they are good shooters and passers and well coached. It will not only take a solid big and pg, but depth and a disciplined, well coached team. That's a lot to overcome, but of course that's why they play the game.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:11 pm

I agree with a lot of the commentary and analysis since my post yesterday.....I will say this,
even after seeing Northern Cass play, I think that a St. John could run with them (northern cass) and I think they both beat North Star at this point....My point being is that the entire top 9 after FW is a mixed bag of who could beat who "on a given night"....I will say that anybody receiving votes is credible and that they too could make noise "on a given night" but for the most part they are where they are for a reason and that is that they don't have the total fire power to stay with the top nine per say.....(which has already changed a lot in 4 weeks)...so you know what I mean

and I would go on to say, that I know this will change and things will shake out to the point where all regions will have a top one and two and maybe 3 going int into Region play with the exception of Region 1 and that I still believe this isn't your typical year in Class B, when it is more visible to the eye as to who is going to be there in the end...
in other words the undefeated will drop a loss sooner than previous years and some teams will emerge I believe....

now can 4 winds be beat? I believe they could be beat easier (for lack of better words) if there wasn't a shot clock....but there is and how do you beat them with it? ....It would take tremendous discipline with the ball along with few turnovers and good offense, but most importantly "stellar D" and not a press, you cant press them, because they will run you off the court.....a team would have to make their shots and then prevent the 3 pointer coming from them.....there were years where they couldn't get past the first round at State and didn't play on TV but those years are gone, with good Defense now and excellent coaching and much more discipline on the players part....they are playing like true defending Champs :)
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:35 pm

The Schwab wrote:I am not disagreeing one bit that Four Winds Minnewauken is the heavy favorite, and they should be. I was responding to the comment about Trinity that seemed to question whether they are actually a good team year in and year out, I'll let you guys in on a little secret, they are THAT good every year. They are so well coached, so disciplined and so composed. When you get them on their home floor they are as close to unbeatable as any team in the state.

Schwab, sorry I didn't mean to sound as if Trinity is worthy of being a good team. They pretty much make state every year and this says a lot about their program. My comment was more directed sarcastically at the word "polls" because they really don't mean anything. It gives fans a basis to go on but that is about it. There are always a few sleeper teams in the 15-30 ranking range that people don't hear much about, and you are correct that any of these teams can beat anyone on a given night.

Overall, I think we can all agree that class B basketball is still the best thing going in the state and it's a good time to be a fan.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:45 pm

Class B basketball has tremendous competition this season. I think Four Winds Minnewauken is head and shoulders above anyone else right now, but that could change by the end of the season. I think teams 2-30 in the state are all pretty comparable and anyone of those can beat any of the others on any given night. The reason FWM is so tough is their depth, could you imagine what their practices are like on any given night with that much depth? Hats off to Coach Smith on the program he has developed. I may be the only one on the board to say this, but given the choice between FWM or the rest of the state I would still say someone else will win it! It's always tough to be the lead dog.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:06 pm

The Schwab wrote:Class B basketball has tremendous competition this season. I think Four Winds Minnewauken is head and shoulders above anyone else right now, but that could change by the end of the season. I think teams 2-30 in the state are all pretty comparable and anyone of those can beat any of the others on any given night. The reason FWM is so tough is their depth, could you imagine what their practices are like on any given night with that much depth? Hats off to Coach Smith on the program he has developed. I may be the only one on the board to say this, but given the choice between FWM or the rest of the state I would still say someone else will win it! It's always tough to be the lead dog.

I agree and have thought that too.....very tough to repeat
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Big Blue » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:22 pm

The Schwab wrote:Class B basketball has tremendous competition this season. I think Four Winds Minnewauken is head and shoulders above anyone else right now, but that could change by the end of the season. I think teams 2-30 in the state are all pretty comparable and anyone of those can beat any of the others on any given night. The reason FWM is so tough is their depth, could you imagine what their practices are like on any given night with that much depth? Hats off to Coach Smith on the program he has developed. I may be the only one on the board to say this, but given the choice between FWM or the rest of the state I would still say someone else will win it! It's always tough to be the lead dog.

Once betting on high school sporting events becomes legal in this state, I will take that bet. :D
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:24 pm

FIFTH POLL
Monday, January 9th

1. Four Winds-Minnewaukan (15) 7-0 150
2. Thompson 6-1 106
3. Shiloh Christian 6-1 102
4. Linton-HMB 6-0 82
5. North Star 6-1 81
6. Northern Cass 5-1 59
7. Dickinson Trinity 7-2 57
8. Carrington 8-0 56
9. St. John 6-0 52
10. Milnor-North Sargent 6-0 24
Others Receiving Votes: Hillsboro-Central Valley (4-2), Hankinson (7-1), New Rockford-Sheyenne (5-2), Des Lacs-Burlington (4-2), Grafton (6-1), Bishop Ryan (4-1), Oak Grove (4-2), Solen (5-1).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby winner-within » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:58 pm

#6 beats #2
we have Musical chairs going on from 2 to 10 and RV's...............don't see the Musical chair thing slowing down this season
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby cmplx6 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:49 pm

No Region 8 teams? Kenmare should have received some votes, maybe Stanley.
cmplx6
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:54 pm

cmplx6 wrote:No Region 8 teams? Kenmare should have received some votes, maybe Stanley.

Kenmare could make a case for votes but no others right now...Stanley's loss to PL hurts and now a 2nd loss to Berthold
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:28 pm

cmplx6 wrote:No Region 8 teams? Kenmare should have received some votes, maybe Stanley.

I've made this argument before, but what team in the top 10 would you take out?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:32 pm

Flip wrote:

I've made this argument before, but what team in the top 10 would you take out?

I couldn't justify Kenmare or any others over anyone receiving consideration...however, Kenmare is the closest one to consideration IMO right now.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby winner-within » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:16 am

Rugby def. #5 North Star 61-51

Rugby (receiving no votes in the last poll) goes runner up at State a couple years back, then Top in State the following year

last night beats a #5 North Star (who was just #2)

Rugby must still have a solid system going on....?
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby d_fense » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:51 am

Rugby was 5-4 before beating NS, so I don't think they have been overlooked in the polls. I do think Rugby is a pretty solid team. They do have a pretty big pool of boys to field a team from.

I think NS has been overrated. In looking over NS's game stats the best shooter of their 3 leading scores is Lagasse, who is shooting 43% from the field. I think they were in the polls based greatly on their history the past 9 years or so.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:10 am

d_fense wrote:Rugby was 5-4 before beating NS, so I don't think they have been overlooked in the polls. I do think Rugby is a pretty solid team. They do have a pretty big pool of boys to field a team from.

I think NS has been overrated. In looking over NS's game stats the best shooter of their 3 leading scores is Lagasse, who is shooting 43% from the field. I think they were in the polls based greatly on their history the past 9 years or so.

I think this is true
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby lennylive » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:40 am

To many teams rated that have an easy schedule....Dickinson Trinity, Shiloh, and Carrington are over-rated especially Carrington...IMO... they all come from weaker districts/regions.... I don't know what they have for upcoming games...but if you look at the Toughest Region in the state(not saying they have the best team in the state)...Region 1.. which on any given night..any of the top 5 teams in the region could beat the other.... then you could perhaps put those 3 as high as they are...MNS,NC,OG,Hankinson,Kindred...and even Richland could give any 3 of the above teams a loss..Now with 4 winds loosing to HCV... Northern Cass beating Thompson and Rugby knocking of NS There should be some serious changes in the poll this week... I know 1 loss shouldn't change your rank much, but when you play tough teams(some not even ranked), your going to fall... Going to be an interesting 2nd half of the season that's for sure...Good Luck to all the Teams !
lennylive
NDPreps Starter

Postby vikingman » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:21 am

Region 1 is even deeper than that.
Last night -- Central Cass vs Carrington -- CC had a chance to take the lead with one minute left in the third quarter and was still within 4 points with 4 minutes to go in the 4th to go last night. It seemed like Carrington would always hit a big 3-pointer whenever it looked like CC might tie it or go ahead.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:18 am

You forgot to mention that carringtons very talented post played got hurt and missed almost 3 quarters and when he went down carrington was up 15.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby leroybla » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:23 am

I expect that Carrington has new-found respect for Region I after last nite's game. Carrington is deep but so is Central Cass. It was a fast paced game and nobody blinked. CC isn't mentioned among the top 5 in this neighborhood. Carrington fattened their margin of victory on free throws in the closing seconds.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cmplx6 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:37 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:FIFTH POLL
Monday, January 9th

1. Four Winds-Minnewaukan (15) 7-0 150
2. Thompson 6-1 106
3. Shiloh Christian 6-1 102
4. Linton-HMB 6-0 82
5. North Star 6-1 81
6. Northern Cass 5-1 59
7. Dickinson Trinity 7-2 57
8. Carrington 8-0 56
9. St. John 6-0 52
10. Milnor-North Sargent 6-0 24
Others Receiving Votes: Hillsboro-Central Valley (4-2), Hankinson (7-1), New Rockford-Sheyenne (5-2), Des Lacs-Burlington (4-2), Grafton (6-1), Bishop Ryan (4-1), Oak Grove (4-2), Solen (5-1).

So based off of the polls and recent results, the state tournament looks to be shaping up to look like this(seed in parenthesis):
Region 1: Northern Cass (5), Could be Milnor-North Sargent, maybe Hankinson, Sleeper Kindred
Region 2: Hillsboro (4), Could be Thompson, maybe Grafton, Sleeper Larimore
Region 3: Linton (6), Could be Carrington, maybe Kidder Co., Sleeper Ellendale
Region 4: Four Winds (1), Could be North Star, maybe St. John, Sleeper New Rockford
Region 5: Shiloh Christian (3), Could be Garrison, maybe Flasher, Sleeper Turtle Lake
Region 6: Des Lacs Burlington (7), Could be Bishop Ryan, maybe Our Redeemers, Sleeper Rugby
Region 7: Dickinson Trinity (2), Could be Beulah, maybe Mott, Sleeper Hettigner/Scranton
Region 8: Kenmare (8),Could be Powers Lake, maybe Parshall, Sleeper Trinity Christian
cmplx6
NDPreps Starter

Postby Big Blue » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:14 pm

Any predictions on this week's poll? Could be an interesting one.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Boys