Region 2 16-17

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Region 2 16-17

Postby Sportsguy24 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:19 am

What are your predictions for region 2 this year?
Sportsguy24
NDPreps Rookie

Re: Region 2 16-17

Postby Ball4Him » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:15 am

I already posted my predictions on another forum but here they are again
1. Thompson
2. Larimore
3. Grafton
4. Hillsboro/CV
5. Midway-Minto
6. Park River/FL
7. Cavalier
8. Hatton-Northwood
9. FSHP
10. MayPortCG
11. Griggs County Central
12. DVE
13. North Border
Ball4Him
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:13 am

Ball4Him wrote:I already posted my predictions on another forum but here they are again
1. Thompson
2. Larimore
3. Grafton
4. Hillsboro/CV
5. Midway-Minto
6. Park River/FL
7. Cavalier
8. Hatton-Northwood
9. FSHP
10. MayPortCG
12. DVE
13. North Border

I have a hard time not putting H/CV number 1 preseason in Region 2
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Ball4Him » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:18 pm

packers21 wrote:
Ball4Him wrote:I already posted my predictions on another forum but here they are again
1. Thompson
2. Larimore
3. Grafton
4. Hillsboro/CV
5. Midway-Minto
6. Park River/FL
7. Cavalier
8. Hatton-Northwood
9. FSHP
10. MayPortCG
12. DVE
13. North Border

I have a hard time not putting H/CV number 1 preseason in Region 2

Reed and Henningsgard are going to be the HCV offensive again...I feel like some teams will have there numbers and HCV is bound to lose a few region games. Now on the other hand once regionals come around I think there will be 5 quality teams that could win it all and Hillsboro is definitely one of them.

Another thing to note is I think teams 3-7 biggest challenge will be having presence in the paint, whichever teams figure that out first will be the higher seeded teams come regionals.
Ball4Him
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:53 pm

Heres my preseason power rankings in Region 2

1. HCV- Henningsgaard and Reed get closer every year.
2. Thompson- Schwabes plus talent around them
3. Grafton- Losing Droog will really hurt, but bring back everyone else
4. Larimore- Lots of muscle, but will need to find ways to score
5. Cavalier- Inexperienced
6. PRFL-Scvahaug/Omlie is a nice 1-2 punch, Guards could be a issue
7. Mayville- Hanson and Chandlar are two very good guards
8. MM- Schuster's can score, but losing Stoltman and Ulland will hurt
9. HN- Probably could be higher, nice group of underclassmen Konschak can score in a lot of ways
10. FSHP- Ethan Brown will put up big time numbers again
11. GCC- Had some younger kids step up last year when Grover was out, will be competitive
12. NB- Injuries hurt them last year, Greendahl will only get better as a 9th grader. Should win a few games
13.DVE- Lost just about everyone

HCV and Thompson will win a lot of games, but once Regional's start it will be anyone's tournament. Grafton showed us that last year.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Ball4Him » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:19 pm

Another thing is what players are you excited to see play this next year.

We have a lot of returning all region players this year.(8 i think) Some other players I'm excited to watch are:
Rylan Briss(GCC)- He was definitely their player when Grover was out but calmed down some once he got back.
All Grafton players-They had a great post season last year and all their players had such distinct roles last year. I'm excited to see how those roles change with the seniors that left.
Andy Rintala(CAV)- very explosive player, kept defenders on their toes. Also the freshman post from cav(can't remember his name).
Moe, Skavhaug, and Omlie(PRFL)- Interesting to see how they play with not having all those seniors there.
Both Schuster's(MM)- they are going to have to be scoring machines to kept this MM team afloat.
Connor Konschak(HN)- very fun player to watch to say the least. It'll be interesting to see how he's developed over a year.
Olsen(DVE)- Can't remember if he was a junior or senior last year. Filled in whatever spot they needed. Be interesting to see what they have him do now without all the seniors.

I know I'm probably missing a lot.
Ball4Him
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sportsguy24 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:01 pm

1. Thompson
2. Hillsboro/CV
3. Grafton
4. Midway-Minto
5. FSHP
6. Park River/FL
7. Cavalier
8. Hatton-Northwood
9. Larimore
10. MayPortCG
12. DVE
13. North Border
Sportsguy24
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Ball4Him » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:32 pm

Sportsguy24 wrote:1. Thompson
2. Hillsboro/CV
3. Grafton
4. Midway-Minto
5. FSHP
6. Park River/FL
7. Cavalier
8. Hatton-Northwood
9. Larimore
10. MayPortCG
12. DVE
13. North Border

I think almost all of us agree that Brown will be senior of the year but having a one man team at 5?
If you flip FSHP and Larimore you might be on to something...
Ball4Him
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sportsguy24 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:40 pm

Ball4Him wrote:
2. Hillsboro/CV
3. Grafton
4. Midway-Minto
5. FSHP
6. Park River/FL
7. Cavalier
8. Hatton-Northwood
9. Larimore
10. MayPortCG
12. DVE
13. North Border

I think almost all of us agree that Brown will be senior of the year but having a one man team at 5?

Maybe 5 was a little too much but I think if he's going to be senior athlete there will be guys that step up im sure. Why is Larimore so good?
Sportsguy24
NDPreps Rookie

Postby packers21 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:58 pm

Sportsguy24 wrote:
Ball4Him wrote:
2. Hillsboro/CV
3. Grafton
4. Midway-Minto
5. FSHP
6. Park River/FL
7. Cavalier
8. Hatton-Northwood
9. Larimore
10. MayPortCG
12. DVE
13. North Border

Maybe 5 was a little too much but I think if he's going to be senior athlete there will be guys that step up im sure. Why is Larimore so good?

Larimore returns almost all of their team that won the regular season last year, plus they had some good underclassmen.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:02 pm

packers21 wrote:
Sportsguy24 wrote:
Ball4Him wrote:
2. Hillsboro/CV
3. Grafton
4. Midway-Minto
5. FSHP
6. Park River/FL
7. Cavalier
8. Hatton-Northwood
9. Larimore
10. MayPortCG
12. DVE
13. North Border

Larimore returns almost all of their team that won the regular season last year, plus they had some good underclassmen.

Larimore is a Top 4 Region 2 team:

1. Thompson
2. Hillsboro/CV
3. Grafton
4. Larimore
5. Midway-Minto
6. Park River/FL
7. Cavalier
8. Hatton-Northwood
9. MayPortCG
10. FSHP
12. DVE
13. North Border
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Ball4Him » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:55 pm

Does anyone have the Hoopster rankings for the region. I saw the top 5 somewhere and was interested in what the rest of the region was ranked.
Ball4Him
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:37 pm

Ball4Him wrote:Does anyone have the Hoopster rankings for the region. I saw the top 5 somewhere and was interested in what the rest of the region was ranked.

Region 2 via ND Hoopster
1. Hillsboro-Central Valley
2. Thompson
3. Grafton
4. Larimore
5. Cavalier
6. Midway-Minto
7. Park River-FL
8. Hatton-Northwood
9. Finley-Sharon-Hope-Page
10. May-Port-CG
11. Drayton/Valley-Edinburg
12. Griggs County Central
13. North Border
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Ball4Him » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:28 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Ball4Him wrote:Does anyone have the Hoopster rankings for the region. I saw the top 5 somewhere and was interested in what the rest of the region was ranked.

Region 2 via ND Hoopster
1. Hillsboro-Central Valley
2. Thompson
3. Grafton
4. Larimore
5. Cavalier
6. Midway-Minto
7. Park River-FL
8. Hatton-Northwood
9. Finley-Sharon-Hope-Page
10. May-Port-CG
11. Drayton/Valley-Edinburg
12. Griggs County Central
13. North Border

Thanks
Ball4Him
NDPreps Starter

Postby grywyn2 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:59 pm

I watched M-M Mustangs every game last year, and Ulland was on the bench most of the time, yes, agreed there were a couple game when everyone fed him the ball he scored well. His rebounding wasn't much to write home about. Stoltman will be missed he was more the play maker and showed leadership to the ball club. This year they are a young team, Elainson was tough under the bucket and I am sure will be again. J Schuster was great on the boards. Watch D Schuster and Altendorf work together, there is a magic in how they work together. But they are young, I wonder if the coach has the skills to fine tune this team.
grywyn2
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Ball4Him » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:42 pm

grywyn2 wrote:I watched M-M Mustangs every game last year, and Ulland was on the bench most of the time, yes, agreed there were a couple game when everyone fed him the ball he scored well. His rebounding wasn't much to write home about. Stoltman will be missed he was more the play maker and showed leadership to the ball club. This year they are a young team, Elainson was tough under the bucket and I am sure will be again. J Schuster was great on the boards. Watch D Schuster and Altendorf work together, there is a magic in how they work together. But they are young, I wonder if the coach has the skills to fine tune this team.

I'm confused... you say you were at every Mustang game last year but forgot two big players for M-M. I would say the lost of Barclay will probably be the hardest spot for this team to fill. He was a great defender and no teams expected him to score much but he had a couple double digit games. There is also Wasylow who will now be a sophomore and had a good about of court time last year, I would expect him to be one of the top scorers for this team. Eliason was great under the basket, in B-squad, but he did not see more than a couple minutes a game of varsity unless Ulland was in foul trouble which was really the only times he would be on the bench for more than a minute or two. Also you take a jab at his rebounding being bad, but then remark about how good J Schuster is at rebounding. I know there is a difference between post and guard but you are laughing at what was probably around 8 rebound average, but bowing down to a 3-4 average from someone who barely plays defense. I'm expecting M-M to be a dark horse from this region. They will definitely have a learning curve to face, but once they overcome that they can beat any team in this region. I see a team that could easily score 70 points a night, but just as easily let by 70 points with sloppy defense. If these guys want to work for it, I give region 2 to the Mustangs this year. Sorry about the rant, but I wanted to get my thoughts out there.
Ball4Him
NDPreps Starter

Postby grywyn2 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:12 pm

I agree Barclay was an underrated player he was amazing to watch. Thank you for correcting me. Watching him and Altendorf bring the ball down the court. I think Wasylow was better the year before but agree he will be fun to watch. Ulland was not consistent in his rebounding. BTW I wasn't laughing,
grywyn2
NDPreps Rookie

Postby winner-within » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:00 pm

Ball4Him wrote:
grywyn2 wrote:I watched M-M Mustangs every game last year, and Ulland was on the bench most of the time, yes, agreed there were a couple game when everyone fed him the ball he scored well. His rebounding wasn't much to write home about. Stoltman will be missed he was more the play maker and showed leadership to the ball club. This year they are a young team, Elainson was tough under the bucket and I am sure will be again. J Schuster was great on the boards. Watch D Schuster and Altendorf work together, there is a magic in how they work together. But they are young, I wonder if the coach has the skills to fine tune this team.

I'm confused... you say you were at every Mustang game last year but forgot two big players for M-M. I would say the lost of Barclay will probably be the hardest spot for this team to fill. He was a great defender and no teams expected him to score much but he had a couple double digit games. There is also Wasylow who will now be a sophomore and had a good about of court time last year, I would expect him to be one of the top scorers for this team. Eliason was great under the basket, in B-squad, but he did not see more than a couple minutes a game of varsity unless Ulland was in foul trouble which was really the only times he would be on the bench for more than a minute or two. Also you take a jab at his rebounding being bad, but then remark about how good J Schuster is at rebounding. I know there is a difference between post and guard but you are laughing at what was probably around 8 rebound average, but bowing down to a 3-4 average from someone who barely plays defense. I'm expecting M-M to be a dark horse from this region. They will definitely have a learning curve to face, but once they overcome that they can beat any team in this region. I see a team that could easily score 70 points a night, but just as easily let by 70 points with sloppy defense. If these guys want to work for it, I give region 2 to the Mustangs this year. Sorry about the rant, but I wanted to get my thoughts out there.

I think M-M will be solid for the 16-17 season also....up top you have them coming in at 5.......but if they work hard they could snatch it (region 2).......so whats to be the difference, I know you state "work hard"
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ball4Him » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:40 pm

winner-within wrote:
Ball4Him wrote:

I think M-M will be solid for the 16-17 season also....up top you have them coming in at 5.......but if they work hard they could snatch it (region 2).......so whats to be the difference, I know you state "work hard"

For the last couple years M-M has been a team to compete with the top and lower there standard to the bottom, especially last year. They competed with Hillsboro and Thompson twice, they even beat Grafton by 20+ on Grafton's court, but they also lost to Griggs(without Grover) and Finley, they only beat NB by 2. If they go and play a full 32 min. on both sides, I think they are easily the top team in the region. They have all the pieces there, good outside shooters, height on the inside, fast break speed, good coaching, and they should have a very good bench at least by mid season. None of them are used to being on a winning team, the hardest part for them this season will be getting the mentality that the can be the best team day in and day out.
Ball4Him
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsman21 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:24 am

Larimore lost one of the Hofers twins all year due to an ACL tear so that could be an issue. Larimore has some good underclassmen that could take that spot. I see them as being a top 5 team. A team with talent just gonna have to find ways to score.
sportsman21
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ball4Him » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:30 am

sportsman21 wrote:Larimore lost one of the Hofers twins all year due to an ACL tear so that could be an issue. Larimore has some good underclassmen that could take that spot. I see them as being a top 5 team. A team with talent just gonna have to find ways to score.

Losing a Hofer will hurt Larimore a lot. Their inside game was probably their best strength. I think they will have troubles scoring as well, but their defense, strength, and depth should keep them top 5, top 7 at the lowest.
Ball4Him
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsman21 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:13 pm

I feel like Larimore will surprise us again this year like they did last year with the Hofer loss should motivate them to work hard. Royce is a good shooter and Tupa can get hot with the three pointer. Last year their students really got into the game so that can help them. People underestimate what kind of an impact the fans can make.
sportsman21
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Big Blue » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:11 pm

To there are three tiers to Region 2. It consists of Tier 1: teams who have a very good chance of making state, Tier 2: squads who are good, but probably won't make a run at state and Tier 3: the rest.
In my predictions below (not necessarily in any particular order, I must note that I think Grafton floats between Tier 1 and 2. I think they look to be the third best teams. I don't think they have a great shot at making state, but will nonetheless be in the mix.
Tier 1: HCV- They have tons back and have the most talent in the region.
Thompson- Coach George and Coach Chandler have this program in the right direction. These kids don't lose.
Grafton- The Spoilers play their butts off and will defend you all day. Just might not have enough scoring.

Tier 2: Larimore: Let me be honest, if Larimore had a track record of any post season success in any sport, they could be a tier 1. But, for some reason this school doesn't do well late in the year.
Hatton-Northwood: This may be a darkhorse. Hatton-Northwood returns a lot and has some pretty night length and athleticism. Wouldn't surprise me to see them knock a top team this season.
May-Port CG: Another team with a shot to beat the best in the region. I think at times the Patriots will be very good. Chandler and Hanson will be fun to watch. Depth and consistency could be issues.
Park River-F-L: The Aggies lost a lot, but they were very deep last year. Omlie should have a big year.
FSHP: Ethan Brown will lead them a ways. He is an excellent player with a lot of tools. If they can get the ball to him and find some balance, they will be on the high-middle in the region.
Cavalier: The Tornadoes were pretty young and some of those underclassmen really impressed me. I look for Cavalier to play uptempo. I think their quickness will give some teams problems.
Midway-Minto: A lot of things to really like about this team. Between the Schusters, Altendorf and Waylow there are a lot of solid pieces to the puzzle. Only strike against them is they had a hard time closing games out last year.

Tier 3
North Border: It's been tough sledding for the Eagles. They do return some experience and a little height. The key for them is learning how to really competing and winning.
Griggs County Central: The Cougars played pretty well last season. I was impressed with them. They will be scrappy, but doesn't look like they will have much for scoring or depth.
D-V-E: The Knights lose a lot. But McCollum and Olson are nice pieces to start re-building with.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ball4Him » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:56 pm

Big Blue wrote:To there are three tiers to Region 2. It consists of Tier 1: teams who have a very good chance of making state, Tier 2: squads who are good, but probably won't make a run at state and Tier 3: the rest.
In my predictions below (not necessarily in any particular order, I must note that I think Grafton floats between Tier 1 and 2. I think they look to be the third best teams. I don't think they have a great shot at making state, but will nonetheless be in the mix.
Tier 1: HCV- They have tons back and have the most talent in the region.
Thompson- Coach George and Coach Chandler have this program in the right direction. These kids don't lose.
Grafton- The Spoilers play their butts off and will defend you all day. Just might not have enough scoring.

Tier 2: Larimore: Let me be honest, if Larimore had a track record of any post season success in any sport, they could be a tier 1. But, for some reason this school doesn't do well late in the year.
Hatton-Northwood: This may be a darkhorse. Hatton-Northwood returns a lot and has some pretty night length and athleticism. Wouldn't surprise me to see them knock a top team this season.
May-Port CG: Another team with a shot to beat the best in the region. I think at times the Patriots will be very good. Chandler and Hanson will be fun to watch. Depth and consistency could be issues.
Park River-F-L: The Aggies lost a lot, but they were very deep last year. Omlie should have a big year.
FSHP: Ethan Brown will lead them a ways. He is an excellent player with a lot of tools. If they can get the ball to him and find some balance, they will be on the high-middle in the region.
Cavalier: The Tornadoes were pretty young and some of those underclassmen really impressed me. I look for Cavalier to play uptempo. I think their quickness will give some teams problems.
Midway-Minto: A lot of things to really like about this team. Between the Schusters, Altendorf and Waylow there are a lot of solid pieces to the puzzle. Only strike against them is they had a hard time closing games out last year.

Tier 3
North Border: It's been tough sledding for the Eagles. They do return some experience and a little height. The key for them is learning how to really competing and winning.
Griggs County Central: The Cougars played pretty well last season. I was impressed with them. They will be scrappy, but doesn't look like they will have much for scoring or depth.
D-V-E: The Knights lose a lot. But McCollum and Olson are nice pieces to start re-building with.

Great post, I completely agree with your assumptions...almost! The only thing I would do personally is break down tier 2 into 2 smaller tiers. I still think all the teams are very close, but I see one group being strong enough to at least stay in front of the other group in the standings.

Tier 2.0
Cav- They are very quick, and have some nice shooters, could be able to put a lot of points up! If a team can slow them down or if they have an off shooting night, they have a lot of weaknesses.
Lar- If they had both Hofers I would put them on the bottom of tier 1. Without one of them that weakens their middle enough to apply more pressure on the outside shooters. They already looked like a team that might struggle scoring, now they really have their work cut out for them. Good thing they have what will most likely be the best defense in the region.
M-M- They only lost 3 average seniors last year and had a very strong B squad, so they are already in good shape from that, but like you stated they have trouble closing out games, and they only have one or two strong defenders right now.
PRFL- Will be a tough first half of the season for them, very young, very inexperienced(in big games). They had a very good B squad last year and have some good returners. They also just have a really strong athletics program overall!

Tier 2.5
FSHP- Enjoyed watching Brown a couple times last year, great player, but has no one around him. Only way to compete with the top teams is if he is going for 40 pts. a night.
H-N- I think they will be the team that is the most fun to watch. I see a lot of growth coming in this team. They lost a lot of scoring power last year and with their experience, I don't see them beating many tier 1 or 2 teams. Everyone better be ready for them by the end of the year though!
MPCG- They need baskets! Watched their final game last year, and M-M(a team that didn't have very good defense last year) let by 2 points outside of chandler and johnson. They need others to score if they want to compete with tiers 1 and 2.
Ball4Him
NDPreps Starter

Postby grywyn2 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:50 pm

M-M against PR-F-L, the younger Schuster scored 27 (21 of that came from treys) older Schuster 16,I know it was there first game but they looked real good. Coach needs to keep them grounded, until the final buzzer rings. Does anyone notice the chemistry between the Schusters and Altendorf?
grywyn2
NDPreps Rookie

Next

Return to Boys