Next season 16-17

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Next season 16-17

Postby senditin » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:31 pm

Someone needs to post a way to early top 10 for next season. In no order, I think FWM, North Star, N. Cass, Trinity, St. John, Grafton, Solen, Parshall, Ryan and DLB. Did I miss any teams?
senditin
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Next season 16-17

Postby Cap'n Crunch » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:57 pm

Region 1 should be a crap shoot again next year. Along with N. Cass; MNS, Hankinson, and OG will all be very strong.
Cap'n Crunch
NDPreps Reserve

Postby classB4ever » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:00 pm

Region 2 - Would think Hillsboro/CV and Thompson will be bringing back strong teams.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Jack8 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:50 pm

In region 8 it will come down to New Town , Parshall, Stanley and Kenmare
In the end I would say New Town or Stanley
Pashall loses Goodbird there big guy in the middle
Kenmare loses 4 guys in there rotation one of them being there big guy in the middle
Jack8
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sorenson23 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:03 pm

How does Region 5 fare for next season. My prediction.

1. Shiloh
2. Solen
3. Standing Rock
4. Flasher
5. Underwood
6. Wilton-Wing
7. Washburn
8. Turtle Lake-Mercer-McClusky
9. New Salem-Almont
10. Garrison
11. Center-Stanton
12. Grant County
13. Max

Would anyone know about Underwood & TLMM co-oping for varsity basketball. I from that area and they said its likely for the 2016 season unless i'm wrong. I thought they said before the start the girls Region 5 championship game between Shiloh & TLMM that TLMM girls won't have a varsity team next season unless they co-op with somebody. If it is then Shiloh, Central McLean, Solen are the top teams.
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Bigbrew22 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:53 pm

Sorenson23 wrote:How does Region 5 fare for next season. My prediction.

1. Shiloh
2. Solen
3. Standing Rock
4. Flasher
5. Underwood
6. Wilton-Wing
7. Washburn
8. Turtle Lake-Mercer-McClusky
9. New Salem-Almont
10. Garrison
11. Center-Stanton
12. Grant County
13. Max

Would anyone know about Underwood & TLMM co-oping for varsity basketball. I from that area and they said its likely for the 2016 season unless i'm wrong. I thought they said before the start the girls Region 5 championship game between Shiloh & TLMM that TLMM girls won't have a varsity team next season unless they co-op with somebody. If it is then Shiloh, Central McLean, Solen are the top teams.

There was talk 2yrs ago about a coop I don't think the vote passed I'm unclear of all the details but there was a lot of opposition by parents and alumni but I think the school boards are for it. It not cool to lose your identity but it is inevitable. As far as TLMM girls next year they return one sophomore one freshman and the 4 7th and 8th graders they had this year. There will probably be a few more freshman that go out is all unless some of the upperclassmen girls decide to go out(I hope) but can't predict. So in my opinion they can dress a varsity if they want but they'll be young and will get beat on for a few years but if the coaches can keep them from getting discouraged they should be experienced with varsity play when the 6,7,8 grade classes get to 10,11,12 those are the grade where I see the most participation.
Bigbrew22
NDPreps Starter

Postby for3 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:59 pm

Region 3 will be wide open next year with the early favorites being Linton HMB, Carrington,Ellendale and Napolean Gackle Streeter
for3
NDPreps Reserve

Postby RedDirtFan » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:10 pm

Region 2: Hillsboro and Larimore bring back most of their rosters, I believe. Thompson loses a few seniors but brings back their all region players. PRFL and Grafton lose key seniors but bring back some nice young talent, too. I have a feeling Cavalier will be back in the mix, and I'm interested to see how Mayville and Midway/Minto do, as well. Region 2 has a chance to be top heavy with 2-3 experienced teams but I really think 2-3 other teams will make some noise. It should be wide open all over again.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:27 am

Cap'n Crunch wrote:Region 1 should be a crap shoot again next year. Along with N. Cass; MNS, Hankinson, and OG will all be very strong.

Cap'n -
I agree with your 4...but I also think Kindred will be in the mix next year. 4 starters back for them - they only had one senior and improved a ton over this season. A couple of teams in Region 1 will take a major hit - Central Cass & Enderlin both lose 80% of their offense by losing their big guns.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:38 pm

Region 7 should be quite competitive next season. Analysis of teams:

Trinity - the loss of Jahner and Messer will hurt them, but they bring back one of the best players in the Region in Stoltz. Jones is a very nice piece and they have some very talented underclassmen.

Beulah- the loss of Remmick and Walcker will hurt them, they have some very nice pieces returning from this years sophomore class.

Hettinger-Scranton- trying to replace Pierce will be tough, finding a replacement for Sadowsky will be very tough. They return Isaiah Kludt who will be one of the top players in the region next year. Their sub varsity teams were very good this year.

Heart River- They lose Cole Olson and a couple other players, but Maddler returns and they will always be competitive.

Hazen- Returns Carr (will be a Mr. Bball finalist next year) if they can find some help around him they could make a lot of noise.

Mott-Regent- Returns Wegh, they lose a lot to graduation this season, but Wegh along with a couple of very nice other pieces could make them very competitive

Bowman- The loss of their pg will hurt, bring back Scott and some other good young players.

New England- the loss of Bender will hurt them a ton, return Holt, but will need someone to get him the ball.

Killdeer- Loss of older LeMieux will hurt, have a couple of decent players coming back. Depth will be a problem

Glen Ullin- Loss of their pg will hurt, but they have some very talented underclassmen, could make some noise

Beach- Next year could be tough, but the future is bright for the Bucs.

Richardton- Butterfield will return, but depth will be an issue for them, we'll see how the new coach does with them.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby B-oldtimer » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:35 pm

Region 4 Four Winds will be favorite next year and I think North Star will be close behind with senior dominated lineup. Harvey/Wells county, New Rockford bring back most of their teams will be much better next year and I think Dunseith and St. John should be fair by season end. If I was betting man now I would think it comes down to Four Winds and Northstar in the region championship game and my guess it will be very close between the two unless there are injuries to either team.
Region 2 what I saw of them Hillsboro should be leading candidate for next year as well as Larimore returning quite a few players. Thompson should be fair but they lost a lot to graduation this year, Midway/Minto should be in the mix at the end, Grafton will be in the mix, and Cavalier could be big surprise they have very young and up coming group of kids that could be there by end of the season.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Edger » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:37 pm

Region 6 top 4.

Des Lacs-Burlington, Mohall Lansford Sherwood, Bishop Ryan, and Velva.
Edger
NDPreps Starter

Postby lakers24 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:25 am

region 8

1st last season (4th next) Kenmare still has Rodin brothers but loose alot of good role players and defensive players. They were a solid 8 man rotation so the loss of 4 seniors might really hurt them.

2nd last seaosn (5th next) Newtown looses White Owl which will hurt them. They have 4 good shooters (all under sized) but i dont know who will replace white owl and be their next starter. White Owl was basically there post defender and rebounder as well.

3rd last (3rd next)Parshall Still has Simpson, Foote and Johnson, they loose Goodbird which was basically who they ran they ran their offense threw. Last couple years having Goodbird and Johnson down low was tough for teams to match up wtih, now with Goodbird gone it will be much easier to man them up.

4th last (2nd next) Trinity looses Austin Schell, but gains Skurdaul who was injured all last season. They basically keep all the same players including Brown and who along with Simpson is probably the most talented player in the region.

5th last (1st next) Stanley basically keeps all their main pieces. Wyatt Hanson is an extremely good player. If they can get you to play at their pace they will win. But Newtown was able to speed them up and get those young player to make mistakes. I expect them to improve from those mistakes and be a tough team to beat. Not many teams will be able to match up with them in a half court setting.

TO be honest though I believe any one of these 5 have a real solid chance to make it to state next season. But besides these 5 all the rest of the teams are not ready to take the next step yet.
lakers24
NDPreps Reserve

Postby packers21 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:20 pm

PHD put up an early top 50 Power Ranking for North Dakota’s Class B listing half of the 103 teams. The season is approaching two months from practice and here is our first top 50 which precedes our upcoming previews.

Four Winds/Minnewaukan
Shiloh Christian
Our Redeemer
Parshall
Solen
Hillsboro/Central Valley
Dickinson Trinity
North Star
Ellendale
Thompson
Central Cass
Stanley
Northern Cass
Bishop Ryan
Linton/HMB
Kenmare
Rugby
Hazen
New England
New Rockford-Sheyenne
Beulah
Milnor/North Sargent
Oak Grove
Larimore
Lewis and Clark –Berthold
Hankinson
Park River/Fordville-Lankin
Heart River
Stanley
Grafton/St. Thomas
Edgeley/Kulm/Montpelier
Des Lacs-Burlington
Strasburg-Zeeland
Dakota Prairie
Burke County
Dunseith
M-L-S
Enderlin
Sargent Central
LaMoure/L-M
Hettinger/Scranton
May-Port-C-G
Kindred
St John
Standing Rock/Selfridge
Harvey-Wells County
Mott-Regent
Drake-Anamoose
Carrington
Wyndmere/Lidgerwood
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby d_fense » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:30 am

Is there a name associated with this list or is it just under PHD? I am not going to go into things that I am not educated about. Basically that is areas other than region 1 at this time. They ranked 9 of the 13 region 1 teams in the top 50 which I think is reasonable. But, two of those teams are ENDERLIN and SARGENT CENTRAL????? They will likely be the 12th and 13th teams in the region, not the 6th and 7th as PHD suggests. And they have Central Cass as the top team in the region???? I would consider it an upset if they finish ahead of Northern Cass, MNS, OG, Hankinson, or Kindred.

I get that it is difficult to compare teams from different regions to one another particularly when they do not play each other. But, figuring out teams within a region typically isn't super difficult. Did the list maker ever even speak with someone who has seen a region 1 game?
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:36 am

d_fense wrote:Is there a name associated with this list or is it just under PHD? I am not going to go into things that I am not educated about. Basically that is areas other than region 1 at this time. They ranked 9 of the 13 region 1 teams in the top 50 which I think is reasonable. But, two of those teams are ENDERLIN and SARGENT CENTRAL????? They will likely be the 12th and 13th teams in the region, not the 6th and 7th as PHD suggests. And they have Central Cass as the top team in the region???? I would consider it an upset if they finish ahead of Northern Cass, MNS, OG, Hankinson, or Kindred.

I get that it is difficult to compare teams from different regions to one another particularly when they do not play each other. But, figuring out teams within a region typically isn't super difficult. Did the list maker ever even speak with someone who has seen a region 1 game?

PHD is Preps Hoops Dakotas
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby d_fense » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:03 am

Is it just an entity, or is someone willing to put their name on the list? Clearly they didn't bother to look into region 1.

Maybe C. Cass, Enderlin, and Sargent Central all received transfers into their programs this fall that I haven't heard about.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:46 am

In my experience with Prep Hoops Dakota some stuff they put out is very good and very fun to read ( I really like their interviews with players ) I subscribed to it for a while the first year, haven't since. I don't believe they have a lot of writers from ND on their staff, I know they get some good information from some posters on this board. I wouldn't read much into their top 50.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby d_fense » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:26 am

The Schwab wrote:In my experience with Prep Hoops Dakota some stuff they put out is very good and very fun to read ( I really like their interviews with players ) I subscribed to it for a while the first year, haven't since. I don't believe they have a lot of writers from ND on their staff, I know they get some good information from some posters on this board. I wouldn't read much into their top 50.

Thanks for the info. I guess that leads me to ask a couple questions.

1. If this is a pay site, wouldn't you think that they would put some effort into the content?

2. Can the site operators make a go of it as a business if they don't put effort and research into the product? Schwab mentioned he was a member and is no longer, I'd think that would be the norm, if you aren't looking to read about a certain player.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:58 pm

d_fense wrote:
The Schwab wrote:In my experience with Prep Hoops Dakota some stuff they put out is very good and very fun to read ( I really like their interviews with players ) I subscribed to it for a while the first year, haven't since. I don't believe they have a lot of writers from ND on their staff, I know they get some good information from some posters on this board. I wouldn't read much into their top 50.

1. If this is a pay site, wouldn't you think that they would put some effort into the content?

2. Can the site operators make a go of it as a business if they don't put effort and research into the product? Schwab mentioned he was a member and is no longer, I'd think that would be the norm, if you aren't looking to read about a certain player.

I put the list up to start some basketball debate, not to knock PHD. They are always looking for more writers and people familiar with different areas of the states they cover - if anyone is interested. I know they don't have a lot of coverage in ND especially the more north you go, thats why so many teams closer to them are ranked. They do a really good job covering AAU and ECI teams and players in the summer months and do nice job interviewing players and tracking college signings. Again I posted the list to get some banter going back in forth. How do you see Region 1 playing out d_fense? Northern Cass? OG?
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Ball4Him » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:27 pm

I know a little about region 2 so I guess I'll put up my prediction
1.Thompson
2.Larimore
3.Grafton
4.HCV
5.Midway-Minto
6.Park River
7.Cavalier
8.Hatton-Northwood
9.FSHP
10.MPCG
11.Griggs
12.DVE
13.North Border
Ball4Him
NDPreps Starter

Postby Texlie44 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:59 pm

B-oldtimer wrote:Region 4 Four Winds will be favorite next year and I think North Star will be close behind with senior dominated lineup. Harvey/Wells county, New Rockford bring back most of their teams will be much better next year and I think Dunseith and St. John should be fair by season end. If I was betting man now I would think it comes down to Four Winds and Northstar in the region championship game and my guess it will be very close between the two unless there are injuries to either team.
Region 2 what I saw of them Hillsboro should be leading candidate for next year as well as Larimore returning quite a few players. Thompson should be fair but they lost a lot to graduation this year, Midway/Minto should be in the mix at the end, Grafton will be in the mix, and Cavalier could be big surprise they have very young and up coming group of kids that could be there by end of the season.

Is your thought still the same with talks of Heisler not being able to play due to concussions? Also, Rolla has a team that should not be counted out of a good season, their whole starting lineup except one player will be returning. A couple sophomores that play well together will be in the varsity mix as well. Dunseith has lost their whole starting lineup and are looking on the downside this upcoming season.
Texlie44
NDPreps Rookie

Postby balla45 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:33 pm

d_fense wrote:

I do not work for PHN, but I have some insight on this.

1. It is a pay site focused on recruiting. There is likely a reason that the PHD top 50 was free. To your point, both in recruiting and in ranking teams, I think that PHD is typically quite accurate in their top 15-20 players or teams, and then fills in a bit after that. As an example, I think they accurately ranked North Dakota 2019s through the top 15, and then kind of went fishing to fill out to 25 kids, instead of just stopping at an accurate top 15, which is what I personally would have done.

2. They are doing quite well. Their coverage on grassroots basketball on a national scale is quite impressive. Between tournaments, showcases, combines, and the actual sites, they have a ton of revenue steams available to them. It is actually one of the most intelligent business models i have ever seen, other than the whole issue of lost revenue by people sharing accounts and sharing articles.

Also to your earlier question, Ryan James writes almost all articles for PHD.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:14 pm

Top 40 from hoopster:
1. Four Winds Minn
2. Northern Cass
3. Dickinson Trinity
4. Hillsboro-CV
5. Ellendale
6. Parshall
7. Shiloh
8. Bishop Ryan
9. DLB
10. Solen
11. North Star
12. Thompson
13. Oak Grove
14. Beulah
15. Stanley
16. Linton-HMB
17. Grafton
18. Hankinson
19. St. John
20. Velva Sawyer
21. Heart River
22. Trinity Christian
23. Carrington
24. TLMM
25. Kindred
26. Larimore
27. Our Redeemers
28. Kenmare
29. Hettinger-Scranton
30. New Rockford Sheyenne
31. Underwood
32. Napoleon GS
33. Rugby
34. Mott-Regent
35. New Town
36. Washburn
37. Milnor-North Sargent
38. Dunseith
39. Cavalier
40. Strasburg-Zeeland
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby lakers24 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:07 am

Knowing Region 8 pretty good, I would say this is all pretty accurate. But personally I think Stanley is better that Parshall this year. Also Trinity Christian lost Austin Brown one of the best players in the region, so that might drop them a little.
lakers24
NDPreps Reserve

Next

Return to Boys