ND Mr. Basketball - Do they get it right?

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: ND Mr. Basketball - Do they get it right?

Postby east sider » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:54 pm

Sticks11 wrote:
east sider wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:
east sider wrote:2010 was definitely questionable although I don't remember a lot of controversy with it. 2011 was such an odd situation, IMO Hanstad should have gotten it. 1999-2003 every pick is controversial.

Who in your opinion was as good or better than Brandt in 99?

1999 Travis Kraft - MPCG
2000 Robert Lawrence - Warwick (didn't seen him play in HS, but heard from others I respect)
2001 Evan Lindahl - Cando
2002 Adam Grant - Berthold (I believe he was ineligible, so actually no controversy but he probably was the best player in the state)
2003 Craig Nelson - MPCG

I'm not saying they got it wrong, but these years definitely stand out as somewhat controversial.

Don't get me wrong, Travis Kraft was a stud of a high school player. However, I don't see how Jeff Brandt getting the award in 1999 could stick out as controversial.

You gotta think back to that time. Or maybe you're not Class B guy. Look back at the award and you'll see a pattern which held up until the late 90s. People in this state pay attention to those things. I doubt you could argue Kenny Younger, and definitely can't argue Boschee, not sure about 1997 who was up for it. Kraft was probably the best "B" candidate since Berg so the small town folks were kind of expecting it. I don't necessarily disagree with you on Brandt winning, I really don't care. But it was definitely talked about as a controversy at the time, then again the next year, etc., etc.
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby classB4ever » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:37 pm

east sider wrote:
canoworms wrote:They get it right every time.

The award is from the NORTH DAKOTA ASSOCIATED PRESS SPORTSCASTERS and SPORTSWRITERS.
It is their AWARD not yours not mine it is theirs. They can vote for who ever they want.
Become a member of the NDAPSS and you can vote too.

They get it right every time!!

You sound like a fun guy to be around at parties.

Now you on the other hand, get it. Was thinking this website was about having discussions based upon sports. Didn't know that everything was set in stone. Never mean disrespect, but someone needs to go fishing. It's relaxing.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby knowledge » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:27 pm

east sider wrote:
Sticks11 wrote:
east sider wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:
east sider wrote:2010 was definitely questionable although I don't remember a lot of controversy with it. 2011 was such an odd situation, IMO Hanstad should have gotten it. 1999-2003 every pick is controversial.

Who in your opinion was as good or better than Brandt in 99?

1999 Travis Kraft - MPCG
2000 Robert Lawrence - Warwick (didn't seen him play in HS, but heard from others I respect)
2001 Evan Lindahl - Cando
2002 Adam Grant - Berthold (I believe he was ineligible, so actually no controversy but he probably was the best player in the state)
2003 Craig Nelson - MPCG

I'm not saying they got it wrong, but these years definitely stand out as somewhat controversial.

Don't get me wrong, Travis Kraft was a stud of a high school player. However, I don't see how Jeff Brandt getting the award in 1999 could stick out as controversial.

You gotta think back to that time. Or maybe you're not Class B guy. Look back at the award and you'll see a pattern which held up until the late 90s. People in this state pay attention to those things. I doubt you could argue Kenny Younger, and definitely can't argue Boschee, not sure about 1997 who was up for it. Kraft was probably the best "B" candidate since Berg so the small town folks were kind of expecting it. I don't necessarily disagree with you on Brandt winning, I really don't care. But it was definitely talked about as a controversy at the time, then again the next year, etc., etc.

Just to add to the fun of this conversation. Neither Kraft or Brandt would have won it, if Nick Jacobson didn't move to Roseville (MN) for his senior season. Had Jake stayed at Shanley, it could've been three straight titles. Those three could've laid claim to the greatest set of finalists.
knowledge
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bsoldiergirl » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:46 pm

I can't remember the year, but there was a huge controversy when Steve Holen from DLB didn't win Mr. Basketball. (Must have been early 90's) I remember a local sports caster, on live TV, say "Wasn't my pick folks!" It went to a class A player instead. It was a hard pill to swallow for many people.
Play for the name on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.
bsoldiergirl
NDPreps Starter

Postby gvmearees » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:53 am

That was 1991 when Bart Manson won. Mr Holen was a great player as was Manson. The fine folks from Burlington felt the need to BOO because their player didn't win. I felt bad for Manson and Holen as both were embarrassed
gvmearees
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Gunning4ya » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:31 am

gvmearees wrote:That was 1991 when Bart Manson won. Mr Holen was a great player as was Manson. The fine folks from Burlington felt the need to BOO because their player didn't win. I felt bad for Manson and Holen as both were embarrassed

That is awful, no player should ever be BOO'd because of something completely out of his control. Shame on them.
Gunning4ya
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flying Wallenda » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:37 pm

gvmearees wrote:That was 1991 when Bart Manson won. Mr Holen was a great player as was Manson. The fine folks from Burlington felt the need to BOO because their player didn't win. I felt bad for Manson and Holen as both were embarrassed

Holen graduated in 93. Randy Torgrimson from West Fargo won that year.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby Gunning4ya » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:52 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:

It still not make the BOOing right.
Gunning4ya
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flying Wallenda » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:44 pm

Gunning4ya wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:

It still not make the BOOing right.

Where did I say it did?
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby CoachB » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:29 am

What are the Criteria for being awarded Mr. Basketball? If you take 40 shots during the game and score 55 points, does that make you Mr. Basketball. Or is Mr. Basketball someone who scores, has assists, rebounds, and is more of a Team Player than a 1 man show?
CoachB
NDPreps Reserve

Postby balla45 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:08 am

I think Mr. Basketball is supposed to be awarded to the best male senior basketball player in the state.

In using the term best, I mean to state that the best player is the player who can most impact the game in a positive way for his team at the highest level of play.

Last year, Aanen Moody was the best player, in my opinion.

Also. 55 points was on shooting 9-15 from 2, 9-17 from 3, and 10-10 at the line. 60%, 53%, and 100% are pretty ridiculous shooting percentages. Also second on his team in rebounding and first on his team in assists, while leading Class A in steals and free throw percentage.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby CoachB » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:07 am

Thanks for your reply. Those ARE crazy numbers and I was just wondering before bb season starts what to look for. Thank You.
CoachB
NDPreps Reserve

Previous

Return to Boys