Best Point Guards in Region 1

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Best Point Guards in Region 1

Postby wem » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:03 pm

Breshnahan, Hanson, Nelson. Anybody else. These 3 are awesome. There teams would be average without them.
wem
NDPreps Starter

Re: Best Point Guards in Region 1

Postby wan2bqb » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:10 pm

wem wrote:Breshnahan, Hanson, Nelson. Anybody else. These 3 are awesome. There teams would be average without them.

Jake Hanson is playing 2 guard. Ryder Goolsby is playing the point and doing a tremendous job. Runs the court well, probably best defender in region (I know I'll get blasted over that but it true) he takes M-NS's opponents best night in and night out. If Hanson ran the point he would probably be the best (he can do it all) I would say they are the best tandem in the region possibly more. My $.02.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:37 am

The 3 you mentioned are all great players. If Jake Hanson played point, he'd be putting up much bigger numbers. Jake Hanson & Grady Bresnahan are the two best individual players in Region 1 IMO. Grady's numbers are hard to beat for player of the year for the region. CC would be towards the bottom without Bresnahan, but most teams would be without their best player. Great players are what separate teams. Logan Nelson is right up there with these two, he's having a great year.

Best tandem in Region 1?? I would argue Nick Mauch & Bailey Hernandez - these two are under the radar. Nick does a great job of running the point and penetrating to the hoop. Bailey runs the transition well, attacks the hoop, elevates on the jumper, and both of these kids can defend. Everyone will have their own opinion but I'll stick to mine.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby wan2bqb » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:05 pm

Both Nick and Bailey are solid in their own respect I won't take anything away from either. Both are on my list of top guards. Nick needs to look to score more and when he does they are much more effective. As for Bailey he gets allot of points in transition, runs the court very well.
Jake is a scorer, averaged about 24 last year as a sophomore and is averaging 19 this year. Hasn't had to score as much this year due to the players around him. Has been out of allot of games early due to blow outs. When the pressure had been put on he has answered the bell more times than not. 32 last night against Enderlin on 5 of 6 from 2 point range, 3 of 6 from 3. 13 for 13 from the line to go with 9 rebounds, 3 asst, 2 steals, and 2 turn overs. Averaging 19p/g, 6 reb/g, 3.7 asst/g, 3.2 stl/g, and 1.6 to/g. Mr. Goolsby runs the point and facilitates the offense 7.3 p/g, 7.1 reb/g, 5.5 asst/g, 3.2 stls/g, and 1.9 to/g. And yes they both play defense. I would say Ryder may be best defender in region. That's why we all have opinions. Would love to hear more input from other teams in region 1.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:11 pm

whos the best PG in the State?
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Piranha » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:23 pm

I follow region 1, which right now is the most competitive region in the state. With that being said I would imagine Ryder Goolsbey has to be one of the best pure point guards in the state.
Piranha
NDPreps Rookie

Postby The Schwab » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:29 pm

2 point guards this season that I have watched play that have been impressive to me are Zac Martin from Shiloh and Isaiah Kludt from Hettinger Scranton. It all depends on if you want a scoring pg or more of a true pg when ranking the top pg's but both of these kids would fall into either category.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby leroybla » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:39 pm

Grady Bresnahan certainly deserves consideration for best PG in Region 1, if not the state. I expect he's averaging over 20 ppg, and would surprise many with his stats for steals, assists and rebounds. He had a quiet night tonite scoring only 21. 6 for 6 from the FT line.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BBB13 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:28 pm

I have to agree with Pirhana, Goolsbey has the most talent as point guard. He's not a high scorer, but he facilitates most of the scoring with his excellent read of the court and great passes. Unfortunately, he would have even more assists if his teammates were looking for the ball and able to receive it. Hanson makes a better 2 guard, but I've noticed he hasn't been shooting from the outside as much as in the past. Not sure why being the shooting guard, but he takes it inside looking for the foul more, which hasn't always been successful.
BBB13
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Cap'n Crunch » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:52 pm

BBB13 wrote:I have to agree with Pirhana, Goolsbey has the most talent as point guard. He's not a high scorer, but he facilitates most of the scoring with his excellent read of the court and great passes. Unfortunately, he would have even more assists if his teammates were looking for the ball and able to receive it. Hanson makes a better 2 guard, but I've noticed he hasn't been shooting from the outside as much as in the past. Not sure why being the shooting guard, but he takes it inside looking for the foul more, which hasn't always been successful.

Goolsbey is a phenomenal athlete and a very competent point guard, but I wouldn't consider him the best point guard on his team let alone region 1. No one can deny his skill as a defender, but there are times on offense when he looks lackadaisical and will turn the ball over in bunches from what I have seen of him. To say that Hanson is more of a 2 than a point guard is almost laughable as well. The only way I can see it your way is if you believe point guards shouldn't look to score. Look as far as the game against CC on Saturday and you'll see that after he took the role over after half the whole offense found its groove.

As far as the best PG in the region though I think Bresnahan is head and shoulders above the rest.
Cap'n Crunch
NDPreps Reserve

Postby leroybla » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:01 pm

I agree with Cap'n Crunch. While I wasn't there on Saturday, Bresnahan scored 23, Goolsbey 9. Was Goolsbey defending against Bresnahan? If not, why not? Was Bresnahan defending against Goolsbey? How were their stats at their matchup in Milnor earlier in the season? Bresnahan is a tireless defender, rebounds well, and has a real presence in all aspects of the game. He has more than his share of assists, but probably because his teammates are expecting them.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Piranha » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:33 pm

Jake hardly plays any point guard. He did for a portion of the 3rd quarter against CC in which they were down by 15 points while he was running the show. He didn't get the offense in a groove while playing point. They decided to try a different defense in the second half that led to scoring.
Piranha
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Cap'n Crunch » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:01 pm

Piranha wrote:Jake hardly plays any point guard. He did for a portion of the 3rd quarter against CC in which they were down by 15 points while he was running the show. He didn't get the offense in a groove while playing point. They decided to try a different defense in the second half that led to scoring.

You're right, and that (from the little that I have seen of MNS) is the biggest issue for them. Goolsbey is a fantastic athlete and controls the ball very well, but to this point hasn't been a threat to shoot the ball which makes him easy to defend. Having Jake at the point will ensure that he touches the ball every possession (which doesn't happen way more than it should) and open things up for everyone else on the team. He has uncanny ability to get to the basket and that leads to wide open kick outs to the shooters and easy dishes to Olsen on the weak side block. This also utilizes Goolsbey to be used where he is at his best offensively as a lengthy athletic freak slashing to the basket for easy lay-ups.
Cap'n Crunch
NDPreps Reserve

Return to Boys