Jump Ball Resurrection

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Jump Ball Resurrection

Postby ReadyToPlay » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:32 pm

Thought I would bring back the thought of getting the jump ball back in the game. When I played many moons ago, it meant something to make an all out effort to dive after a loose ball and hang on to it with all your might, hoping at least to give your team a 50% chance of saving a game. It was a chance to plan strategy, both offensively and defensively. It wasn't just an automatic token given to you every other time just to save time, it actually meant something. You actually had to think and anticipate. Didn't matter if it was a David and Goliath matchup, it was a blast when David won. I know this will fall on deaf ears in this world of "give it to me fast, I am late for my next hour in life", but please actually think about it before dismantling your thought on the subject.
ReadyToPlay
NDPreps Starter

Re: Jump Ball Resurrection

Postby The Schwab » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:46 pm

Wouldn't mind seeing this back in the game. I also think that if they keep the current system if a team wins the jump they should get the first possession. Right now the tip off is kind of pointless IMO
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby RedDirtFan » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:27 pm

I like the way teams can flop possession back in their favor with the current setup, but this would make it interesting.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:34 am

OT but I wish in the NBA they allowed anyone to jump for the jump ball not just the players in the tie up. Seems like Ricky gets a lot of jump balls, but he can't jump.

Rules question. Opening tip no team establishes possession and there is a jump ball. Who jumps? I've seen this happen two times. First time it was the girls in the tie up that jumped and 2nd time they allowed the big girls to jump again.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ND-is-#1 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:30 am

OT but I wish in the NBA they allowed anyone to jump for the jump ball not just the players in the tie up. Seems like Ricky gets a lot of jump balls, but he can't jump.

Rules question. Opening tip no team establishes possession and there is a jump ball. Who jumps? I've seen this happen two times. First time it was the girls in the tie up that jumped and 2nd time they allowed the big girls to jump again.

I'm wondering the same thing. Saw this happen a couple weeks ago, the refs discussed it for a bit and had the original guys jump again.
ND-is-#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:47 am

ND-is-#1 wrote:

I'm wondering the same thing. Saw this happen a couple weeks ago, the refs discussed it for a bit and had the original guys jump again.

I believe it would be a rejump just like the beginning of the game. Same thing if the ball goes out of bounds without possession and unable to determine who it went off of last.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby thefourwinds » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:37 pm

I would love to see actual jumps as opposed to the alternating possession arrow.

I would also be in favor of allowing the team to choose who jumps. If a scrappy player ties up a taller player, why should that taller player get the advantage on who gets possession? I think the alternating possession arrow was put in place to correct that. But if you want to allow for the uncertainty of a jump, then allow the teams to choose who will jump.

My $0.02.
thefourwinds
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ReadyToPlay » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:03 pm

By the positive responses to this subject of reinstituting this jump ball back into the game, it sounds as if "it could have legs". Has anyone ever heard of this ND Prep Site actually submitting an idea to the NDHSAA for review and getting it through? --- or is it like a school board or church board meeting in where they do not want to deal with the subject so they just table it? Would be interesting if any current or former board NDHSAA members would have insight on this subject....
ReadyToPlay
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:51 pm

I dont know all the reasons for doing away with it but saving time or shorter teams make zero sense.......I would say the biggest dilemma is a fair throw up ....so many of the opening tips nowadays are just thrown up leaning to one side or not high enough (and I've reffed and its not easy to throw it up)....If they went back to it the refs would have to work on mastering the feat.....I think the jump ball is and should be part of basketball.....part of being a basketball player is working on your jumping ability as you grow older and stronger, so its not surprising it was initially part of the game rules......

is like this...will they do a way with the face off in hockey and just take turns getting the puck?... :roll:
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby bisonation6 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:05 am

I agree. The possession arrow is stupid. You dive for a ball and hang on for dear life and then an arrow determines whose ball it is. Stupid. I've seen games determined by the arrow. Losing team forces a tie up in the waning seconds and the winning team gets the ball cause of the arrow. It's dumb. 100% for bringing back the jump and anyone is allowed to jump.
bisonation6
NDPreps Starter

Return to Boys