Ed Beyer Passes Away

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Ed Beyer Passes Away

Postby heimer » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:18 am

One of the greats.

--From the Grand Forks Herald

Ed Beyer, legendary North Dakota basketball coach, dies at 77

By Greg DeVillers Today at 10:11 a.m.

FARGO -- Legendary North Dakota high school basketball coach Ed Beyer died in a Fargo hospital Sunday night. He was 77.

Beyer coached the Hillsboro High School boys basketball team for 37 years, retiring after the 1997 season. He had a 688-195 won-loss mark at Hillsboro, a state record for boys basketball coaching wins.

Dan Carr of Linton-HMB recently recorded his 689th career basketball win, but 36 of those were accumulated while he was coaching in Minnesota prior to moving to Linton.

Beyer's daughter, Tammy Nelson, said her father had struggled with his health in recent years.

But, after going into a Fargo hospital last week, "he had the best five days he's had in years,'' Nelson said. "He was smart, engaging, remembering things, getting around like a race horse. But all of a sudden (Sunday) he had a headache, then a brain bleed and, at about 8:50 (p.m.) he passed away.''

Beyer's teams won Class B state basketball titles in 1973-74, 1977 and 1981, the latter team going 26-0. His Burros teams qualified for 13 Class B state tournaments and won 19 Red River Valley Conference championships.

He came to Hillsboro in 1960 after graduating from Concordia College, where he earned a total of 11 varsity letters in football, basketball and baseball.

In addition to basketball, Beyer led Hillsboro baseball teams to the 1962 North Dakota American Legion state title and the Burros to Class B state high school championships in 1967-68.

He is a member of the North Dakota Sports Hall of Fame, the North Dakota High School Coaches Association Hall of Fame and the National High School Athletic Coaches Association Hall of Fame.

"People saw the fiery guy dad was coaching on the basketball court,'' Nelson said. "But he was so different off the court. He had a stack of devotional books that he read every day. He had a gentle, loving way. And he loved to laugh, tease people and have fun.''
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Re: Ed Beyer Passes Away

Postby The Schwab » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:32 am

Without a doubt one of the best coaches I've ever had the opportunity to watch coach. He had such an eye for detail. R.I.P.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby EHS1998 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:11 pm

We have lost a Class B giant. RIP Coach Beyer. God Bless.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:25 pm

What he did so much better than his contemporaries was prepare. He was always prepared in everything he did. He was meticulous in his dress, hair always neatly trimmed, moustache styled just so, papers organized just so on his desk and in his files.

Another thing he did so well was demand perfection, knowing that it was unachievable yet always striving for it. Whatever offense or defense he ran, his players knew exactly how to execute it.

He was also an innovator. An opposing coach was having some success in slowing down the Burros by playing a triangle and 2. So Ed decided to put the 2 players being chased way over to the side of the court and let his other 3 beat the opponent's other 3. That ended the gimmick defense in short order.

Most of all, he loved his players. He never said so in so many words, but if you were loyal to him he was loyal to you, listening to your problems later in life and offering advice, even financial help if it would solve the problem. That was the side of the man that so many would never know about.

God Bless You Ed. I know you are now at home with your beloved Elaine once again.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby heimer » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:03 pm

The thing that stands out to me: Wasn't Beyer the guy that demanded shirts and ties for travel to games? I thought I heard even the kids that couldn't afford it "found a way."

I'm not sure, but I think I got in on one game that Hillsboro played in that I broadcast. The Fargodome had a shootout day once in preparation for a Region I game, and I think I did a game that Hillsboro played in that day.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby triplebbb » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:02 pm

Got to coach in the 1992 state B boy's tourney. At the banquet (very cool event) our team was between Hillsboro and Munich. Ed Beyer and Jack Demain. Holy crap it made a very young coach sit up and take notice. Players dressed up, polite, respectful. Both coaches visited with our team and congratulated everyone. Super classy. We played Coach Beyer in the 3rd place game and they beat us soundly. He was still congratulating myself and my players for making it to a state tourney and getting to play on TV for 2 nights!! I will really miss a rare gem like Coach Beyer.
triplebbb
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:18 pm

heimer wrote:The thing that stands out to me: Wasn't Beyer the guy that demanded shirts and ties for travel to games? I thought I heard even the kids that couldn't afford it "found a way."

I'm not sure, but I think I got in on one game that Hillsboro played in that I broadcast. The Fargodome had a shootout day once in preparation for a Region I game, and I think I did a game that Hillsboro played in that day.

I believe it was a jacket, shirt and tie. And yes I have heard many times that if a player couldn't afford one, Ed would make sure he had one.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:49 am

Yes, Ed demanded suits, sport jackets, whatever you would like to call them. He felt it was so important for his players to represent the community, their parents, and the game with dignity and respect. Plus, he felt that if you looked sharp, you played sharp.

Ed always found a way to make sure every player had a suit and tie and dress shoes. He would tap into his network of boosters around town (and yes, his own pocket was part of the network) to ensure that kids that didn't have the money to afford a suit would have one.

Underneath that fiery, sometimes abrasive exterior beat a heart of gold.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:25 pm

Heard a cool story of Coach B. on kfgo yesterday the gentleman speaking was a former player and now a coach.....he said back in the 60-70's Ed's wife would bring Burgers to the gym around 6....they would have a bite to eat and then visit a bit and go back to practicing........another gentleman on there (late 70's early 80's) said he remembered practicing till 7:30 (from right after school) but no Burgers.... :)
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Return to Boys