halves instead of quarters

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

halves instead of quarters

Postby ReadyToPlay » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:39 pm

I went to a girls ballgame the other night with the new 2 halves instead of the 4 quarters. I assume the boys will have the same, so I am posting this also under boys, as I believe it applies to either gender. I have been to many college games in which they of course use the 2 halves system for many years know, but with high school basketball, I am so used to the quarter breaks, it was just kind of weird. Most of these players are no where near the athletic condition of a college athlete, the dedication, or the ability of a college player, yet they are supposed to try to accomplish this daunting task. Yes, if you are the BIG schools, you can probably pull it off somewhat with a little more depth but they still are not collegized yet. Some may say that they have to start sometime and I say this may be, but as the situations go, they are still teammates with freshman, sophomore, and juniors, that are expected to keep up the pace with the stud, but even the stud has a big eye opening when they enter the land of the giants. Another aspect I think that is missing from not having quarter breaks, is the teaching aspect by the coaches to get the team disciplined in a clock situation, not usually crucial at every quarter, but does give them the practice of patience and calmness of when it does come down to the end of the game and it is close, then if tied, goes to OT and again they can draw somewhat on their clock experiences once again. These kids need to handle this and need to practice these fundamentals of basketball, which by the way, includes a little bit a ball handling to boot. They freak out enough when there is ten seconds left and often just shoot the ball from the half line with 5 seconds left and air ball it. Then they look at the coach with glassy eyes and say "somebody told me to shoot it!" I say let the coaches have 4 quarters back, teach them situations, and quit trying to push the kids into something they cannot handle without the proper repetition in a game situation. Doing it at practice will not do it because there are no screaming fans there to panic them! So this is my observation, maybe some of you agree or not, but hopefully this may have gotten the ball rolling...which also reminds me that this is also something that could be practiced with quarters--- rolling the ball as clock doesn't start until touched.
Don't butcher me, please just interact .....
ReadyToPlay
NDPreps Starter

Re: halves instead of quarters

Postby d_fense » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:09 pm

ReadyToPlay wrote:I went to a girls ballgame the other night with the new 2 halves instead of the 4 quarters. I assume the boys will have the same, so I am posting this also under boys, as I believe it applies to either gender. I have been to many college games in which they of course use the 2 halves system for many years know, but with high school basketball, I am so used to the quarter breaks, it was just kind of weird. Most of these players are no where near the athletic condition of a college athlete, the dedication, or the ability of a college player, yet they are supposed to try to accomplish this daunting task. Yes, if you are the BIG schools, you can probably pull it off somewhat with a little more depth but they still are not collegized yet. Some may say that they have to start sometime and I say this may be, but as the situations go, they are still teammates with freshman, sophomore, and juniors, that are expected to keep up the pace with the stud, but even the stud has a big eye opening when they enter the land of the giants. Another aspect I think that is missing from not having quarter breaks, is the teaching aspect by the coaches to get the team disciplined in a clock situation, not usually crucial at every quarter, but does give them the practice of patience and calmness of when it does come down to the end of the game and it is close, then if tied, goes to OT and again they can draw somewhat on their clock experiences once again. These kids need to handle this and need to practice these fundamentals of basketball, which by the way, includes a little bit a ball handling to boot. They freak out enough when there is ten seconds left and often just shoot the ball from the half line with 5 seconds left and air ball it. Then they look at the coach with glassy eyes and say "somebody told me to shoot it!" I say let the coaches have 4 quarters back, teach them situations, and quit trying to push the kids into something they cannot handle without the proper repetition in a game situation. Doing it at practice will not do it because there are no screaming fans there to panic them! So this is my observation, maybe some of you agree or not, but hopefully this may have gotten the ball rolling...which also reminds me that this is also something that could be practiced with quarters--- rolling the ball as clock doesn't start until touched.
Don't butcher me, please just interact .....

First off, I didn't know that they did away with quarters. To witch I say, "It's about time!!!" They have been playing halves in Minnesota high school ball for, I'm guessing 10 years now. It has went over well over there. I don't agree with your agreement about high school kids not being in "athletic condition" to play halves. They are high school kids. Conditioning shouldn't be an issue. Most people are never in better shape than they are when they are in high school. People do get stronger physically when they get out of high school, but cardiovascular wise, they should be fine. Regarding loosing end of quarter situations which limit players experience with end of clock situations.... With the shot clock, there are more end of clock situations than there ever were in the past in North Dakota.

Personally I would like to see class B follow suit with Class A, and the state of Minnesota and play 18 minute halves.

It is natural to not like change (in most areas I hate it, still waiting for girls bball to go back to the fall). But, remember it can always be switched back if needed.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby ReadyToPlay » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:55 pm

The game I went to was a girls b game in which it was not a regional game so maybe they just played the two halves because they agreed amongst themselves? If so, "my bad" for I am not around the new rules everyday so just accepted it as gospel but I understand things will change from year to year, similar to this whole district, super regional ordeal that is so inconsistent among the schools. And don't forget about the new 4' arc under the basket where an offensive player can completely bulldoze the defensive player that is in the arc and not be called for an offensive foul but I can only assume that this will pertain to a layup where the defensive player would step under an offensive player that has already left his feet? I am sure when this situation arrives, which will be somewhat of an officials perception, there will be a few upset coaches that will get a T. On the girl fall basketball season, yes it would be great, but volleyball is getting very popular in this time slot and the longer it is situated in this slot, the harder it will be to make an overhaul. The boys and girls basketball thing is also staying popular because of the double header nights if the school hosting can accommodate. I hate to say it, but no many people are going to go to a single volleyball game when it is -20 zero..
ReadyToPlay
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:21 pm

In Non-Region games, if both teams agree...they are allowed to play halves!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby RedDirtFan » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:06 pm

Call me old school or closed-minded but I like quarters and don't see any necessary advantage to halves. The quarter breaks are a nice time to step out for a minute and also a nice marker coaches can use to base playing time around players who happened to get into foul trouble. If they go to halves and extend the game by 6 minutes, I'd like to see discussion about 6 personal fouls. I believe the college game has needed it for years and think 5 fouls is too low, especially when you consider all the ticky-tack stuff that gets called in boys games, particularly at class B level where the shortage of officials has many young officials (age wise or experience wise, I mean). I've seen kids foul out when 3 of their 5 fouls were questionable at best, and it happens too often (heck, once is too often. Class B really needs to figure out how they want games to be officiated). 32 minutes is enough, especially with the shot clock at every level, now (BUT the shot clock needs to go to 30 seconds).

I'm not opposed to trying halves outright, but I just don't think there's anything wrong with quarters, and I find myself really enjoying the format. They bring added tension and nearly every single quarter in a competitive game is different.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby bsoldiergirl » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:52 pm

Playing halves instead of quarters will pose player management problems for coaches that have limited number of players. Some coaches use players in the B squad(JV) game and then the varsity game. With quarters, players are allowed to play 6 quarters a night. With halves, I believe they can play 3 halves a night. (I may be wrong) If a player plays for any amount of time, whether it's a minute or ten minutes, it will count as a half. Example of a possible management problem: With quarters, a player could play the entire JV game and 1st & 3rd quarters of the varsity game (6 quarters) and be okay. But, with halves that wouldn't be possible, it would be considered 4 halves. What do you think :?: On the other hand, this could also be a good thing, maybe more kids will be able to play. I may be wrong, but I see this as a challenge for many Class B coaches.
Play for the name on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.
bsoldiergirl
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indy5 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:42 pm

Love halves, but I don't know how it'd work for class B. The problem I see is it that larger schools would have even more of an advantage because of depth. That's an element I like in class A, but for class B it's a tougher selling point. I do think if B wanted it, maybe they consider 16 minute halves instead of 18 to try to help?
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby d_fense » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:56 pm

I'm a B fan. Thinking that B players can't handle going without a 60 second break in the middle of each half or play an extra 2 minutes a half is, I feel incorrect. Arguments against 18 minute halves in B are similar to arguements against the shot clock in B. The shot clock will hurt the small school that will not be able to slow down the game and limit possessions. The shot clock will hurt the small schools that don't have depth by speeding up games, creating more fouling that will hurt them. I personally feel the shot clock made less sense for B than 18 minute halves. The shot clock had significant extra expense associated with it. No such up front or continuing cost like the shot clock.

How many people feel the shot clock has hurt B? I would guess most who were against it, have come to like it. I may be wrong. I think it is asinine that leadership has kept class B in quarters this many years after moving class A to halves... My 2 cents.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby RedDirtFan » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:22 pm

d_fense wrote:I'm a B fan. Thinking that B players can't handle going without a 60 second break in the middle of each half or play an extra 2 minutes a half is, I feel incorrect. Arguments against 18 minute halves in B are similar to arguements against the shot clock in B. The shot clock will hurt the small school that will not be able to slow down the game and limit possessions. The shot clock will hurt the small schools that don't have depth by speeding up games, creating more fouling that will hurt them. I personally feel the shot clock made less sense for B than 18 minute halves. The shot clock had significant extra expense associated with it. No such up front or continuing cost like the shot clock.

How many people feel the shot clock has hurt B? I would guess most who were against it, have come to like it. I may be wrong. I think it is asinine that leadership has kept class B in quarters this many years after moving class A to halves... My 2 cents.

I love the shot clock. Teams used to have minute long possessions and that was just plain boring. The most boring basketball game I've ever seen was actually a class B championship game when MPCG won something like 34-32. Garbage basketball.

I like quarters. The tension going into the 4th quarter of a close game is irreplaceable and I would hate to see class B lose that. The concept of halves is something I've never liked, not in the college game, or in some states at some levels of HS ball.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:26 am

RedDirtFan, you must really hate hockey, soccer, and baseball if you think a lower scoring 2 point state championship basketball game is boring. Those teams were a treat to watch. Good shots were tough to come by. I remember the state championship teams from MPCG in 96 and 97. Teams struggled to inbound the ball against them from anywhere in the front court.

Since you like the shot clock, you would likely enjoy 18 minute halves if you gave it a chance. More shots, scoring, possessions, and playing time. Win, win, win, win.

I've never felt the break between the third and fourth quarter provided any tension. Heck, there's still 8 minutes left to play. Just this week Enderlin played a game where they won a quarter by 19 points and in the same game lost quarters by 15 and 13 points.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:07 am

Halves is a no-brainer

prepare your team, start the game, play basketball, and call a time out when needed
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby B-oldtimer » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:42 pm

I kind of like NCAA women's basketball new format of 4 quarters now instead of the halves. I like that they start fouls over for each quarter I think it lends to teams playing more aggressive defense but I think they should have left the one on one free throw for couple of fouls instead of two shot foul shot. I still believe that if you can't make your foul shots as a team you don't deserve to win the game. Just because it worked once in national championship game we had to change the rules. Shooting free throws is part of the game and fouling to get possession at end of game was part of strategy of basketball. Nobody has patience to watch this and see coach and team work a strategy to get back into a game and maybe win it. Also tv doesn't like it either to much down time but for me it's fun to watch and guess what the coaches are thinking to get there team back into the game. Also lets under dog team with less talent but if fundamentality strong with chance to steel a game under right circumstances. To me it is like baseball it isn't all about atheletic ability but about playing smart and using situation to create opportunity to win. To me if game is close the amount of scoring isn't that much of factor because it comes down to excitement of who may win the game and if its close a single play can determine the ending out come of the game. Watching teams run up and down court scoring but out come of the game is pretty much know to me is not very fun game to watch I like it when your not sure who's going to win and there are lots up sets of the more talented team because somebody used different strategies to try to win the game.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Kwoods » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:12 pm

bsoldiergirl wrote:Playing halves instead of quarters will pose player management problems for coaches that have limited number of players. Some coaches use players in the B squad(JV) game and then the varsity game. With quarters, players are allowed to play 6 quarters a night. With halves, I believe they can play 3 halves a night. (I may be wrong) If a player plays for any amount of time, whether it's a minute or ten minutes, it will count as a half. Example of a possible management problem: With quarters, a player could play the entire JV game and 1st & 3rd quarters of the varsity game (6 quarters) and be okay. But, with halves that wouldn't be possible, it would be considered 4 halves. What do you think :?: On the other hand, this could also be a good thing, maybe more kids will be able to play. I may be wrong, but I see this as a challenge for many Class B coaches.

When my small school looked at playing halves instead of quarters we ran into that exact problem. We have a freshman that plays 3 JV quarters a night and a sophomore that plays 2-3 JV quarters a night. It would be so hard for us small schools to keep JV games if they went to halves. We would run out of kids every night. When you play athletes more than 2 quarters you would have to choose a half that they would play so they did not exceed their quarters. I don't know of a coach who can predict what half they are going to need that sub to play so they don't go over the limit.
I am a fan of old school Class B basketball I think a lot of the changes we have made or are looking to make are ruining the spirit of class B.
Kwoods
NDPreps Starter

Return to Boys