Region 6 Predicitions and Top 4.

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Region 6 Predicitions and Top 4.

Postby ndbluetwo4 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:37 pm

After Rugby and Berthold both graduated their complete starting line up, the only real contender I think may be Our Redeemers. They graduated one starter but lost another due to injury for what I'm going to assume will be the greater majority of the season. They have four starters this year over 6 foot and a 5'10 guard who can really liht things up when he gets going. They have a two more bigs possibly getting more playing time and a few more younger guards who can come in and mix things up. Overall I think their only region tournament competition would be Drake and the slim possibility of Ryan or Rugby. Drake has come a long way, don't get me wrong, but the two all-district bigs on their team simply cannot carry that team. From what I watched last year, they're the only two coordinated to shuffle on defense and dribble without looking at the ball. Rugby has two seniors guards/forwards and that's it for them. Nothing else. Ryan returns Dawes and a multitude of juniors and sophomores. Could be a contender but still not at the top of my list.

My personal top 4 in order is OR, Drake, Ryan, Rugby. And as for a wildcard I'll pick the Glenburn Panthers.

Thoughts or corrections?
B>a
ndbluetwo4
NDPreps Rookie

Re: Region 6 Predicitions and Top 4.

Postby HammerTime » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:03 am

I'm not as high on Drake/Anamoose as you are. I'm thinking Our Redeemer's is the only real lock for top 4 in the region. Me personally, I round out the top of the region, in no particular order, Bishop Ryan, Rugby, and DL-B.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby classB4ever » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:09 am

ndbluetwo4 wrote:After Rugby and Berthold both graduated their complete starting line up, the only real contender I think may be Our Redeemers. They graduated one starter but lost another due to injury for what I'm going to assume will be the greater majority of the season. They have four starters this year over 6 foot and a 5'10 guard who can really liht things up when he gets going. They have a two more bigs possibly getting more playing time and a few more younger guards who can come in and mix things up. Overall I think their only region tournament competition would be Drake and the slim possibility of Ryan or Rugby. Drake has come a long way, don't get me wrong, but the two all-district bigs on their team simply cannot carry that team. From what I watched last year, they're the only two coordinated to shuffle on defense and dribble without looking at the ball. Rugby has two seniors guards/forwards and that's it for them. Nothing else. Ryan returns Dawes and a multitude of juniors and sophomores. Could be a contender but still not at the top of my list.

My personal top 4 in order is OR, Drake, Ryan, Rugby. And as for a wildcard I'll pick the Glenburn Panthers.

Thoughts or corrections?

I don't think you are giving Rugby enough credit. Although they graduated some serious talent, they have a lot of athletic kids who have been waiting their turn and they are still deep. Playing against those seniors last year every day in practice is the best experience you can ask for. Winning breeds success. My prediction: Look for Rugby to be challenging for the region championship in the end.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bisonation6 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:06 am

Don't sleep on Rugby. Fan base is jacked up, good coach, tradition, athletes. Bishop Ryan is also very well coached. Brock Teets will always piece a team together, proved it in Berthold and last year at BR. I like Drake-Anamoose. I think they could have a very exciting year. As for DLB, you just don't know. I'm not as high on them as some are. Another great coach though. I know the last three years I have thought Berthold will see the demise for a bit but they just keep finding kids to step up. But now, I'm comfortable saying it. The year is here. They will struggle. Rauschenberger and Gunning losses will make Glenburn interesting to watch. Might still compete. Got a tall kid, not always a winning element in Boys as compared to girls, also a crafty little point guard and a kid that can heat up on a game by game basis. Koppinger will be a huge loss for OR. Made a lot of things happen. A lot of teams could give them a run. I feel that team gets a little too out in front of themselves sometimes. MLS is a wild card too. They can only grow older and more experienced. Velva might be okay too. They could mix things up in the standings by pulling off some wins.

Sum it up, wouldn't be surprised to see Our Redeemers, Bishop Ryan, Rugby, or Drake-Anamoose end up at state tourney.
bisonation6
NDPreps Starter

Postby Old Drifter » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:04 am

dl-b has a good team...just finished watching them give Parshall a scare at home...they led up to the end of the 3rd quarter until Parshall got it together and started walking away from them....good 3-point shooters, quick and fast even with their bigs in...if you region 6 fans don't think much of them, your gonna be surprised....they'll be in the thick of things come tournament time...
Old Drifter
NDPreps Starter

Postby bsoldiergirl » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:05 pm

Old Drifter wrote:dl-b has a good team...just finished watching them give Parshall a scare at home...they led up to the end of the 3rd quarter until Parshall got it together and started walking away from them....good 3-point shooters, quick and fast even with their bigs in...if you region 6 fans don't think much of them, your gonna be surprised....they'll be in the thick of things come tournament time...

Totally agree with everything you said Old Drifter....I too was at the game and think DLB may have opened a few people's eyes. Many feel ORCS has District 12 already wrapped up and give no other team in the district a chance to challenge them. When ORCS played Parshall, they beat them by around 20 pts with Parshall's arguably best player (6'5..maybe 280?? lbs) Goodbird not even playing. He is definitely their go to player under the basket and hard to stop. He rarely missed and has great moves for such a big guy. When DLB played Parshall , he played and DLB was able to play with them and have the lead going into the fourth quarter, they only lost by 11 pts. Parshall definitely had the height advantage, but DLB nullified that with their speed, endurance, ball handling, deep bench and 3 point shooting accuracy. So, even though teams may have the height advantage over DLB, they proved that height doesn't always mean better.....IMO, DLB will be in the hunt for the District 12 & Region 6 titles.
Play for the name on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.
bsoldiergirl
NDPreps Starter

Postby lions700 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:08 pm

If you didn't see Ryan play Shiloh Saturday, you missed some good hoops.
lions700
NDPreps Reserve

Postby d_fense » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:07 pm

lions700 wrote:If you didn't see Ryan play Shiloh Saturday, you missed some good hoops.

Why don't you tell us about it? Feel free to use descriptive words other than good.
:)
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Pit Bull » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:54 pm

d_fense wrote:
lions700 wrote:If you didn't see Ryan play Shiloh Saturday, you missed some good hoops.

Why don't you tell us about it? Feel free to use descriptive words other than good.
:)

Bishop Ryan came out firing. All five of their starters can knock down the 3. They spread the floor well and the Daws kid is a descent penetrator. They led by as many as 12 points during game. They aren't the strongest team inside but will go there once in a while to mix things up. They strike me as a team that needs to hit the 3s to stay with top tier teams. This can backfire if the 3s don't fall, but tonight they were falling on their home court. Will be a team to reckon with as the season goes on. Believe they rotated 3 or 4 kids of the bench who don't give them much offense but can play defense.

Shiloh was shaky for most of the first 3 quarters. Calmed down towards the end of the 3rd and in the fourth. Managed to claw back in the game and win by 1 point. Rely heavy on their starting five but did sub in a couple of players who contributed on defense and offensive end. Had trouble finishing at the rim but that should correct itself with the confidence of their first year starters getting more comfortable. PG doesn't get rattled and keeps everyone involved. Other players feed off his confidence. Not a top tier team yet, but could be very good/ great by end of the year. Need to figure out how to start fast and play from ahead instead of behind.

Should be a good year for both of these teams. Either of these teams could get to the state tournament imo, and anything could hp pen then. Both teams still have a lot to work on but have talent to get it done.
Pit Bull
NDPreps Starter

Postby lions700 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:29 pm

The Bishop Ryan bench provides plenty of offense. They all are a 3 point threat.
lions700
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bisonation6 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:35 pm

lions700 wrote:The Bishop Ryan bench provides plenty of offense. They all are a 3 point threat.

One would have to think if Ryan can play with Shiloh, they would have no problem doing the same with Our Redeemer's. Shiloh has some big, strong kids similar to ORCS. Shiloh is ranked 4th in the state as well. Not sure where we get the idea they are an okay team. Apparently some people involved in state media think they are among the best this year.
bisonation6
NDPreps Starter

Postby Pit Bull » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:52 pm

lions700 wrote:The Bishop Ryan bench provides plenty of offense. They all are a 3 point threat.

They could very well be. I just noticed their defense and not so much their offense this particular night.
Pit Bull
NDPreps Starter

Postby Pit Bull » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:56 pm

bisonation6 wrote:

One would have to think if Ryan can play with Shiloh, they would have no problem doing the same with Our Redeemer's. Shiloh has some big, strong kids similar to ORCS. Shiloh is ranked 4th in the state as well. Not sure where we get the idea they are an okay team. Apparently some people involved in state media think they are among the best this year.

It's still early and rankings don't really mean anything especially this early. I believe Shiloh plays Our Redeemers in January. Should be a good challenge for both teams.
Pit Bull
NDPreps Starter

Postby Gunning4ya » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:43 am

bisonation6 wrote:Don't sleep on Rugby. Fan base is jacked up, good coach, tradition, athletes. Bishop Ryan is also very well coached. Brock Teets will always piece a team together, proved it in Berthold and last year at BR. I like Drake-Anamoose. I think they could have a very exciting year. As for DLB, you just don't know. I'm not as high on them as some are. Another great coach though. I know the last three years I have thought Berthold will see the demise for a bit but they just keep finding kids to step up. But now, I'm comfortable saying it. The year is here. They will struggle. Rauschenberger and Gunning losses will make Glenburn interesting to watch. Might still compete. Got a tall kid, not always a winning element in Boys as compared to girls, also a crafty little point guard and a kid that can heat up on a game by game basis. Koppinger will be a huge loss for OR. Made a lot of things happen. A lot of teams could give them a run. I feel that team gets a little too out in front of themselves sometimes. MLS is a wild card too. They can only grow older and more experienced. Velva might be okay too. They could mix things up in the standings by pulling off some wins.

Sum it up, wouldn't be surprised to see Our Redeemers, Bishop Ryan, Rugby, or Drake-Anamoose end up at state tourney.

Oh, how I miss watching them play.
Gunning4ya
NDPreps Starter

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:11 pm

Anyone know what happened @ Shiloh with ORCS. It was hard lose. It really surprised me. :shock: Thought it would be close then the score
"Here I am to save the day!"
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby RabidFan » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:59 am

Well, the district schedule is getting underway and so I will throw in my predictions for the region.

District 11:
1. Drake-Anamoose
2. Rugby
3. Velva
4. Bottineau
5. TGU
6. Sawyer
7. Westhope-Newburg
8. Nedrose

I know that Rugby has already beaten D/A this year, but I still think at the end of the regular season, D/A will come out on top. Picking teams #3-5 is harder in this district since these teams are all really close and it will really depend on who is shooting the ball well the night they play each other.

District 12:
1. Our Redeemers
2. Ryan
3. Mohall-Lansford-Sherwood
4. Berthold
5. Des Lacs
6. Glenburn
7. Surrey
8. South Prairie

Here, I think OR is a pretty sure bet to finish number one in the district (and region). I know they performed horribly against Shiloh offensively. I know that Ryan showed better against Shiloh than OR did. Still, I think OR is too big and has too many weapons for Ryan. I think Ryan will end second, but they do lack size and MLS has a skilled big man and may give them a challenge, but Ryan has more experience and I think they will do well. I picked MLS over Berthold because Berthold seems to struggle against good big men (loss to Trinity and last night to MLS). DLB looked good earlier in the season, but have struggled recently. Before the season, I thought Glenburn would challenge for one of the top 4 spots in this district, but they have been unimpressive in most of their games and I do not see them finishing in the top 4 unless something changes.

For the Region:
1. Our Redeemers
2. Ryan
3. Drake-Anamoose
4. Tie - Rugby & MLS (I know you can't have a tie - this is really hard for me to call. Maybe I pick Rugby because they have experience in big tournament games and MLS doesn't)
RabidFan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby nolan4 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:28 pm

I will follow Rabids prediction with my own
District 11
Rugby(better overall athleticism, beats DA)
Drake-Anamoose(missing a piece or 2 to get them to the top)
Towner-Granville-Upham(drop off here)
Velva
Bottineau
Sawyer
Westhope-Newburg
Nedrose
District 12
Our Redeemers(best team, but not a shoe in to win)
Bishop Ryan(lack inside presence)
DesLacs-Burlington(inconsistent, but have played a tough schedule, which will make them better by yr end)
Mohall-Lansford-Sherwood(I would have put Berthold here, but MLS just beat them, soooooooo)
Berthold
Glenburn
Surrey
South Prairie

Rugby over MLS
Bishop Ryan over TGU
Our Redeemers over Velva
DL-B over D-A

Ryan over Rugby
OR over DL-B

Championship
OR over Ryan
3rd
DLB over Rugby
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby bisonation6 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:28 pm

RabidFan wrote:Well, the district schedule is getting underway and so I will throw in my predictions for the region.

District 11:
1. Drake-Anamoose
2. Rugby
3. Velva
4. Bottineau
5. TGU
6. Sawyer
7. Westhope-Newburg
8. Nedrose

I know that Rugby has already beaten D/A this year, but I still think at the end of the regular season, D/A will come out on top. Picking teams #3-5 is harder in this district since these teams are all really close and it will really depend on who is shooting the ball well the night they play each other.

District 12:
1. Our Redeemers
2. Ryan
3. Mohall-Lansford-Sherwood
4. Berthold
5. Des Lacs
6. Glenburn
7. Surrey
8. South Prairie

Here, I think OR is a pretty sure bet to finish number one in the district (and region). I know they performed horribly against Shiloh offensively. I know that Ryan showed better against Shiloh than OR did. Still, I think OR is too big and has too many weapons for Ryan. I think Ryan will end second, but they do lack size and MLS has a skilled big man and may give them a challenge, but Ryan has more experience and I think they will do well. I picked MLS over Berthold because Berthold seems to struggle against good big men (loss to Trinity and last night to MLS). DLB looked good earlier in the season, but have struggled recently. Before the season, I thought Glenburn would challenge for one of the top 4 spots in this district, but they have been unimpressive in most of their games and I do not see them finishing in the top 4 unless something changes.

For the Region:
1. Our Redeemers
2. Ryan
3. Drake-Anamoose
4. Tie - Rugby & MLS (I know you can't have a tie - this is really hard for me to call. Maybe I pick Rugby because they have experience in big tournament games and MLS doesn't)

Glenburn certainly has been disappointing.
bisonation6
NDPreps Starter

Postby thefourwinds » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:50 pm

Mighty-Mouse wrote:Anyone know what happened @ Shiloh with ORCS. It was hard lose. It really surprised me. Thought it would be close then the score

The game was actually extremely close. Here was the box score:

QTR Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 F
ORCS 12 21 29 37 37
Shiloh 11 19 30 50 50

After 1Q, ORCS led by 1. After 2Q, ORCS led by 2. After 3Q, Shiloh led by 1. It was a defensive battle the entire game. At the beginning of Q4, ORCS took a one-point lead. Then they got into some foul trouble and stalled a bit more on offense. Shiloh made their foul shots, and as the period started winding down, ORCS was fouling to get the ball back. Shiloh, to their credit, made their free throws.

This game was extremely close. I expect that if they were to meet again in the state tourney, it would be extremely close again.

All in all, I think there are 5-6 Class B teams that are incredibly evenly matched, and all of them have a very good shot at the State title. I include ORCS, Dickinson Trinity, Shiloh, and FWM in that group. I don't get to see the eastern teams play, so I'm just going on what I hear for them. I hear FWM relies heavily on the three-pointer, which means they may be susceptible to long scoreless stretches if they are not clicking. But if they are clicking, they could be tough to beat.

ORCS, Shiloh, and Dickinson Trinity all have a good combination of size and shooting playmakers. ORCS, for their part, could have any one of 7 or 8 guys be the lead scorer for their team on any given night. They are extremely balanced.
thefourwinds
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:01 pm

I was wondering because the box score don't cover what happens in the game. As I can see it, state is kinda a toss up and will make for a very interesting district, region, and state playoffs this year. I'm glad state is in Minot this year, it's should be one of the best.
"Here I am to save the day!"
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby nolan4 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:42 am

Now I know why they play the games, earlier this yr in District 11 Rugby beat Sawyer 78-35........Sawyer now beat Rugby in District Semi finals.........what a crazy game this basketball is :)
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby bisonation6 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:46 pm

We are in for a heck of a region 6 tourney folks. It is not Our Redeemers' to lose. It's whoever wants it. Bishop Ryan had the lead the whole way in the district 12 championship game tonight until the very end. Our Redeemer's came back in the final two minutes and erased a deficit of at least 9 points at one point. Ryan had a shot at the end of regulation. Then in overtime, both teams started to hit every shot. Baskets were traded. Ryan booted an in-bound pass with 30 seconds left, leading by 2, and the shot clock off. Then, ORCS came back to tie it up.
Ryan was shooting the bonus in a tied game with three seconds left and missed the front end. Then, ORCS hit a half court game winner. If Ryan gets the ball in at the end, manages one more stop in OT or gets a clutch free throw, they win. They say it is tough to beat a good team three times. ORCS has one the first two. Ryan hasn't shot well the first two times and if they get hot from the field, it's over.

Ryan and Rugby should be a good first round game. Drake-Anamoose will be on display. Would be interesting to see them battle, which is likely in the semis. Ryan and Drake haven't played in a long time.
bisonation6
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sticks11 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:37 am

If these teams are playing well at region tourney time, it should be a great region tournament. I'm excited to see how these all play out.
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby thefourwinds » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:08 pm

Here's the highlight from John Reiten's buzzer beater for ORCS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhyZEG4VSHk&feature=youtu.be
thefourwinds
NDPreps Reserve

Postby packers21 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:13 pm

thefourwinds wrote:Here's the highlight from John Reiten's buzzer beater for ORCS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhyZEG4VSHk&feature=youtu.be

Pretty Awesome, why didn't the official grant the TO is my question.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Next

Return to Boys