2015-2016

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

2015-2016

Postby district2fanog » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:14 pm

Who are the preseason top 10? Or top 15?
district2fanog
NDPreps Reserve

Re: 2015-2016

Postby The Schwab » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:44 am

I'll use the teams ranked or receiving votes in the last poll:
1. Four Winds-Minnewaukan (Lost a couple really good pieces, always have a good team. Will be very tough)
1. Rugby (Lost quite a bit, I would expect them to be competitive but probably not a return trip to state)
3. Berthold (Lost quite a bit, probably competitive, but not a top 15 team)
4. Oak Grove (Lost a lot, will be competitive, but probably not a top 15 team)
5. New England (Lost a lot, still have 2 very good players, probably not a top 15 team)
6. Our Redeemer's (Lost a very good player, return a lot, will be favorite in Region)
7. Northern Cass (I don't know much about them, maybe someone could help fill in.)
8. Hettinger-Scranton (Bring almost everyone back, return 1st Team all state player, will be tough)
9. Linton-HMB (Lost a lot, might not be up to Linton standards this year)
10. North Star (I believe they lost a lot)
RV. Dickinson Trinity (Lost very good pg and defenders, will still be very good)
Ellendale (I believe they lost a lot)
Central Cass (Not sure here)
Dunseith (Not sure again)
May-Port-CG (return big guy, losing pg will hurt, they will be competitive)

Maybe someone else who knows a little more then I do can help, but this could be a good start
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sniper » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:03 pm

I expect Hettinger-Scranton to be a top five team in the state this year, possibly even the best team.
Sniper
NDPreps All-State

Postby HammerTime » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:27 pm

I'd say it's very possible for Region 6 to be one of the best regions in the state. Our Redeemer's bringing back a very talented squad, Bishop Ryan likely being in the mc of receiving votes, and honestly, with Rugby, there were so many guys that got playing time last year, that I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if Rugby went to state again.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:52 pm

Region 1 favorites will be Milnor-North Sargent & Northern Cass

Agreed, Hettinger-Scranton might be best in the State! Our Redeemer's will also be pretty solid.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Edger » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:38 pm

I believe Parshall will be back at the top of Region 8. They are returning a lot from last year, a core group comprised of juniors this year and their post, the only senior. I also hear they have a transfer who can fill a gap from last years graduation.
Edger
NDPreps Starter

Postby Pit Bull » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:54 pm

Shiloh will be very good again this year. I expect Standing Rock and Washburn to be right up there. Solen could also be up there.

Shiloh returns two guards and by the middle of the year will have 4 starters over 6' 2'. Could possibly be better than last year by tournament time.
Pit Bull
NDPreps Starter

Postby HammerTime » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:52 pm

I'm just going to put a top 10 here so there's a little bit more activity on this thread. This isn't entirely serious, nor completely informed.

1) Four Winds-Minnewauken (have a lot of returning experience.)
2) Hettinger-Scranton
3) Our Redeemer's (should be one of the most complete teams in the state.)
4) Milnor-North Sargent
5) North Star (I believe two of their starting 5 started as freshmen two years ago. So very good.)
6) Shiloh (heard about their big players. Should be very good.)
7) Dickinson Trinity (they're good pretty much every year.)
8 ) Bishop Ryan
9) May-port-CG
10) Rugby (sleeper pick. There were a quite a few guys who came off the bench who made a big impact.)

So there you have it. My preseason top 10.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:50 am

Good list, I don't know much about MNS or North Star. Shiloh will be very tough.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:01 pm

Some teams that I think will be very good that I dont see mentioned are

Enderlin - I would say they are my fav in Region one
Thompson and Hill/CV - early favs in Region two
Dunseith will be very good along with St. John not sure if either can beat 4 winds tho in Region 4
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby wan2bqb » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:00 am

Region 1 should be a three team race: Enderlin, Northern Cass, Milnor-North Sargent. Enderlin brings back Size and talent although they lost some of the role players that did the little things for them last year. Hurlburt and Lindgren will be a tough tandem lets see what they can put around them. Northern Cass brings back a very talented and athletic team but lost some of its size from last year. Nelson and Springer will give many teams fits but lack of a dominant big man may hurt them. Milnor- North Sargent is the wild card in my opinion. First year of the Co-op for boys sports other than football. Bring back a ton of experience from two separate region qualifying teams. 8 starters return. If they can mesh could be interesting Best point guard in the region in Jacob Hanson and one of the better big men in Mason Olson. Deep deep bench. Don't rule out Hankinson, Central Cass and Oak Grove from being formidable. This is high school basketball after all and it is shaping up to be one of the best years in region 1 in recent memory. First year of the Super Regional Format.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby Broncos811 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:51 am

HammerTime wrote:I'd say it's very possible for Region 6 to be one of the best regions in the state. Our Redeemer's bringing back a very talented squad, Bishop Ryan likely being in the mc of receiving votes, and honestly, with Rugby, there were so many guys that got playing time last year, that I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if Rugby went to state again.

I agree that Region 6 will be once again the most competitive. I'm not as confident about Rugby as you are, but in addition to those teams from District 12 DLB and MLS could be surprises and would likely be taken more seriously if they were in another region. Also from District 11 Drake-Anamoose, barring anymore injury, is my favorite for that district and I really think they could upset a team like Our Redeemer's when it counts.
Broncos811
NDPreps Reserve

Postby d_fense » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:54 am

How is Griggs County going to be this season. I didn't expect much from them last year and they had a nice season. They beat some teams I didn't think they would stay close to but also lost a game or two that were really surprising to me.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:25 am

d_fense wrote:How is Griggs County going to be this season. I didn't expect much from them last year and they had a nice season. They beat some teams I didn't think they would stay close to but also lost a game or two that were really surprising to me.

I think most ppl knew they were going to be tough last year with engel, nelson and grover. This year they are much more of a unknown. New coach, one of the best players in the region returning in grover and some decent players from the jv coming back. I think they will be decent again this year.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby d_fense » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:37 pm

Thanks for your insight. I believe they were 5th place in the region last year. What would you guess this year?
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby BB11 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:48 pm

packers21 wrote:
d_fense wrote:How is Griggs County going to be this season. I didn't expect much from them last year and they had a nice season. They beat some teams I didn't think they would stay close to but also lost a game or two that were really surprising to me.

I think most ppl knew they were going to be tough last year with engel, nelson and grover. This year they are much more of a unknown. New coach, one of the best players in the region returning in grover and some decent players from the jv coming back. I think they will be decent again this year.

I must be totally out of the loop - what happened to Coach Engel?
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:51 pm

BB11 wrote:
packers21 wrote:

I didn't hear about it either, just read it in my hoopster.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby packers21 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:54 pm

d_fense wrote:Thanks for your insight. I believe they were 5th place in the region last year. What would you guess this year?

I think they will be a little lower 7-10. They only play each team in the region once so all of their games are 2 points. The middles teams in the region are all gunna beat up on each other. I dont think they will have much depth, and will need a couple kids to step up and help out grover.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:32 pm

BB11 wrote:
packers21 wrote:

He took a college job in minnesota, juco in international falls I believe
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby ProudPirate » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:19 pm

As always it will be interesting. As a Region 1 fan I will be watching the MNS coop closely. Maybe the boys will adapt better. Watching the girls last season it didn't go the best. MNS had 2 of the better athletes, at least in the district, but they team didn't really 'mesh' on the court imo. A lot of closely matched teams so it should be fun again. A lot of talant graduated but as always there is someone to fill the shoes. As the old saying goes, small schools rebuild while larger schools reload. After losing a pile of seniors I know Hankinson will be rebuilding but hopefully by tournament time they can turn some heads. No matter how the season goes you can't overlook Oak Grove or C Cass. They are always tournament ready.
ProudPirate
NDPreps Reserve

Postby wan2bqb » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:04 pm

Agree about the MNS co-op and how the girls meshed last year. Although i have two points to make about that. First theboyshave been playing football together and found sucess for many years. Secondly and dont beat me up overthis but girls and boys are different in their approach to things. I think boys are easier to get to buy into the team over the individual. Theseboys already spend all fall together now they just need to learn to paly on the hardwood togther.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:56 am

wan2bqb wrote:Agree about the MNS co-op and how the girls meshed last year. Although i have two points to make about that. First theboyshave been playing football together and found sucess for many years. Secondly and dont beat me up overthis but girls and boys are different in their approach to things. I think boys are easier to get to buy into the team over the individual. Theseboys already spend all fall together now they just need to learn to paly on the hardwood togther.

Winning cures all, if they are successful right away they will be fine. If they struggle out of the box that might raise some red flags. Worked out pretty well for North Border in 2001
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby B-oldtimer » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:52 am

Who will be favorites out of each region as it stand now. My guess for regions 2 and 4 is as follows. In Region 4 Four Winds are by far the favorite. The next closest I believe will between Harvey, Northstar, and St. John but unless we see tremendous improvement in one of these teams I believe Four Winds should win this region they return a lot of players and had very dominant B squad last year they are just deep with talent. Region 2 lost a lot of good players last year and I don't see any favorite right now for the Region. My guess is Mayport, Thompson, Hillsboro, and Grafton should be one of the contenders but we might have sleeper with some of the other teams.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sorenson23 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:13 am

Even though I'm a 2010 graduate from Underwood.

My District 10 predictions are:

1. Washburn
2. Turtle Lake-Mrecer-McClusky
3. Underwood
4. Garrison
5. Wilton-Wing
6. Max
7. Center-Stanton

I also heard that Turtle Lake will be struggling to even have a team next season due to the enrollment. Does that mean they could co-op with Underwood next season. Central McLean Cougars varsity boys basketball has a nice ring to it. But I guess its up to the school boards to approve it though. But i do hope they approve it. Cause last season they were talking about it but they said last season that they would like to co-op in 2016 cause of the enrollment.
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby packers21 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:04 am

B-oldtimer wrote:Who will be favorites out of each region as it stand now. My guess for regions 2 and 4 is as follows. In Region 4 Four Winds are by far the favorite. The next closest I believe will between Harvey, Northstar, and St. John but unless we see tremendous improvement in one of these teams I believe Four Winds should win this region they return a lot of players and had very dominant B squad last year they are just deep with talent. Region 2 lost a lot of good players last year and I don't see any favorite right now for the Region. My guess is Mayport, Thompson, Hillsboro, and Grafton should be one of the contenders but we might have sleeper with some of the other teams.

I agree with you saying that Region 4 favorite is 4 winds, but Dunseith has to be a close second and could easily upset them. Buddy Keplyn makes them a serious contender. I would put St, John in 3 and then Toss up between Harvey and NS I would take NS tho.

Region 2 Thompson and HCV both return and ton and will be the favorites going into the season. PRFL, Mayport, DVE all return lots. Grafton and Cavalier will both be underdogs to start the season.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Next

Return to Boys