Great Coaches of Class B

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Great Coaches of Class B

Postby BigCat » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:57 pm

Every coach listed has a long way to go to be compared to the late, great Jerry Meyer! His list of accomplishments at both the HS and college level are impressive.
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby knowledge » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:24 pm

RedDirtFan wrote:I don't think there's any way to accurately evaluate coaching at the Class B level unless you actually understand the game enough to see what tactics they're applying, how they adjust in-game, and how they figure out their rotations in order to get the best groupings on the floor. Winning can't matter that much because the unfortunate truth is that some B schools have many, many more athletes than others. You look at the bigger Class B towns over the last 5-10 years and they've supplied many of the great teams. It's unfortunate but a lot of little towns are dying out and more co-ops are forming. Many smaller areas tend to produce great teams in spurts and then fade out for others, and it's really about the athleticism, size, and interest of the kids involved. Obviously, basketball is bigger in some places than others.

Anyway, my point is that you can take any coach we deem great in this thread and find places where he or she won't produce wins and it would have next to nothing to do with his or her competence as a coach. It's a generational thing. Continuity is so rare because the population isn't going to produce extremely athletic groupings over and over again. I don't mean this as a criticism--perhaps the generations that aren't as athletic excel in things like speech or drama or music, and that's just as impressive as excelling in sports.
Anyway, just thought I'd leave my 2 cents.

There are a number of ways to evaluate high school coaches. Wins and losses are apart of the game, but as mentioned there are many good coaches in places that are less likely to produce talent, regardless of how many hours the coach is in the gym -- the players & their families need to be committed too. It's also widely know that the smaller the district, the more often the talent will cycle.

These are a few examples:
Game tactician - makes in-game adjustments, changes defenses, adjusts offense, well timed time-outs, scoring opportunities after time-outs, substitution patterns, etc....

Scouting Report Coach - Team seems well prepared for what an opponent has done throughout the year. It is obvious to see that this coach has his/her team prepared to produce on that one night v. that opponent.

Program Coach - they do what they do, and they do it well. Success is dependent upon the athletes in the program if they are getting it done at a higher level. Ex. - This team runs the flex - you know it's coming, you know they'll be really disciplined in it, but if they don't have the kids to execute it, they'll be much less successful than in the year's they do.

To be honest, the best coaching staffs have one of each of these types on them. Then there are few weaknesses, if they all accept and acknowledge their roles on the staff and the head coach doesn't micromanage.

I do think that there are three simple questions to ask when it comes to HS coach evaluation:
Who gets the most from the least?
Who's kids are prepared, motivated, and make the adjustments when they are favored?
Are you biased? - Set this aside, answer the first couple questions and you'll be able to figure out who the quality coaches are.
knowledge
NDPreps Reserve

Postby RedDirtFan » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:00 pm

knowledge wrote:There are a number of ways to evaluate high school coaches. Wins and losses are apart of the game, but as mentioned there are many good coaches in places that are less likely to produce talent, regardless of how many hours the coach is in the gym -- the players & their families need to be committed too. It's also widely know that the smaller the district, the more often the talent will cycle.

These are a few examples:
Game tactician - makes in-game adjustments, changes defenses, adjusts offense, well timed time-outs, scoring opportunities after time-outs, substitution patterns, etc....

Scouting Report Coach - Team seems well prepared for what an opponent has done throughout the year. It is obvious to see that this coach has his/her team prepared to produce on that one night v. that opponent.

Program Coach - they do what they do, and they do it well. Success is dependent upon the athletes in the program if they are getting it done at a higher level. Ex. - This team runs the flex - you know it's coming, you know they'll be really disciplined in it, but if they don't have the kids to execute it, they'll be much less successful than in the year's they do.

To be honest, the best coaching staffs have one of each of these types on them. Then there are few weaknesses, if they all accept and acknowledge their roles on the staff and the head coach doesn't micromanage.

I do think that there are three simple questions to ask when it comes to HS coach evaluation:
Who gets the most from the least?
Who's kids are prepared, motivated, and make the adjustments when they are favored?
Are you biased? - Set this aside, answer the first couple questions and you'll be able to figure out who the quality coaches are.

I don't think we're disagreeing? Like I said, it comes down to people who actually understand the game enough to be able to evaluate coaches. Most fans in the stands don't even understand the rules, let alone know most of them.

This site probably encompasses the majority of community members who actually know basketball, at least in the communities that each of us hail from.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndbluetwo4 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:21 am

http://www.minotdailynews.com/page/cont ... l?nav=5016 this teams progress in the last decade is crazy
B>a
ndbluetwo4
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:49 am

ndbluetwo4 wrote:http://www.minotdailynews.com/page/content.detail/id/623754/Rags-to-riches--Feller-transforming-ORCS-into-perennial-power.html?nav=5016 this teams progress in the last decade is crazy

We can't read the article because of MDN's stupid 'subscribe to read anything' system
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Edger » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:08 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
ndbluetwo4 wrote:http://www.minotdailynews.com/page/content.detail/id/623754/Rags-to-riches--Feller-transforming-ORCS-into-perennial-power.html?nav=5016 this teams progress in the last decade is crazy

We can't read the article because of MDN's stupid 'subscribe to read anything' system

Would be nice to read, but I really don't want to have to buy the online subscription.
Edger
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:11 pm

I do not want to hijack this thread, but something needs to be pointed out about newspapers. The "paper" in newspaper is rapidly declining. Newspapers have cut staff, paper size, and the amount of events they can cover. All because no one wants to pay for a subscription anymore for what they can get online for free.

Newspapers must charge for online content or they will cease to exist, and then where are we going to get our area news and sports coverage? TV? Nope, because they are going through the same thing with the proliferation of websites like Netflix.

Pony up and keep our area media in business.

Back to the great coaches.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Previous

Return to Boys