2015 STATE TOURNEY

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Who Wins State?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:02 pm

Four Winds-Minnewaukan
35%
Rugby
35%
Oak Grove
4%
New England
12%
LaMoure-LM
7%
May-Port-CG
2%
Parshall
4%
Shiloh Christian
2%

Total votes : 57

2015 STATE TOURNEY

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:36 pm

STATE TOURNEY
@ Bismarck Civic Center
March 19, 20, 21

Thursday, March 19th
G1: #2 Rugby def. Parshall 80-39
G2: #3 Oak Grove def. May-Port-CG 70-58
G3: #1 Four Winds-Minnewukan def. Shiloh Christian 61-55
G4: LaMoure-LM def. #4 New England 71-61 2OT

Friday, March 20th
G5: Parshall def. May-Port-CG 47-44
G6: Shiloh Christian def. #4 New England 61-58 OT
G7: #2 Rugby def. #3 Oak Grove 81-65
G8: #1 Four Winds-Minnewaukan def. LaMoure-LM 51-47

Saturday, March 21st
7th Place: May-Port-CG def. #4 New England 51-47
5th Place: Shiloh Christian def. Parshall 60-48
3rd Place: #3 Oak Grove def. LaMoure-LM 63-45
Championship: #2 Rugby def. #1 Four Winds-Minnewaukan 54-40

1st: Rugby (25-2)
2nd: Four Winds-Minnewaukan (24-3)
3rd: Oak Grove (23-5)
4th: LaMoure-LM (19-9)
5th: Shiloh Christian (20-7)
6th: Parshall (18-9)
7th: May-Port-CG (19-8)
8th: New England (22-5)

All-Tournament Team
Rugby: Tanner Bernhardt, Brad Heidlebaugh, Zach Miller
Four Winds-Minnewaukan: Trayvon McKay
Oak Grove: Carter Kretchman, Christian Adams
LaMoure-LM: Anthony Olson
Shiloh Christian: Andrew Hartman
Parshall: Deyondre Simpson
New England: Daniel Prince

Tournament MVP: Brad Heidlebaugh, Rugby

Senior Athlete of the Year: Brad Heidlebaugh, Rugby
Coach of the Year: Luke Powers, New England
Mr. Basketball: Brad Heidlebaugh, Rugby
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Re: 2015 STATE TOURNEY

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:02 am

Region Representatives

Region 1: Oak Grove (21-4)
Region 2: May-Port-CG (18-6)
Region 3: LaMoure-LM (18-7)
Region 4: Four Winds-Minnewaukan (22-2)
Region 5: Shiloh Christian (18-6)
Region 6: Rugby (22-2)
Region 7: New England (22-2)
Region 8: Parshall (17-7)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:14 am

LLM, Shiloh, and Parshall all repeat appearances from the girls last weekend. Pretty cool thing for those schools/communities.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDFBall » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:51 am

Watch out for New England in this State tourney very disciplined with high ball IQ's. They cause turnovers and finish with dunks. Dan Prince, Brady Bender dominate both sides of the ball. Ty Nordby and Cody Holt crash the boards very hard. Fun team to watch!
NDFBall
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hsfootballfan » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:33 am

I think Rugby will make a lot of noise. The defense they play is outstanding. It has been a long time since I have seen a man to man defense as good as theirs. Every time Lee caught the ball, whether off a screen or not, there was a hand in his face. Rugby challenged every shot Berthold took.
hsfootballfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsphenom » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:46 am

I think this is going to be a very exciting tournament with no clear cut favorite, unlike the girls tournament last weekend. And the best part is, it will be held in the best venue in the state.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby siouxforever7 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:13 am

Bismarck is always the best venue for the B! Everyone is sick of Minot and Grand Forks just doesn't have the right atmosphere with everything so spread out at the Alerus Center.
siouxforever7
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:46 am

Going to be a great tourney. Always fun to see players from different parts of the state you seldom see or hear about. FWM's depth and shooting is unreal. Simpson kid from Parshall is fun to watch. Prince and company from New England have really started to gel. Can't help but think LLM has a Cinderella story going with the girl's success and now the boys. MPCG's size and defensive tenacity coming out of Region 2. Kretchman, Adams and company looking for back-back titles for OG. Rugby is as athletic as they come and have revenge on their mind. Shiloh brings back a ton and has big game experience.
Great time of the year to be a basketball fan. Good luck to all teams and stay healthy.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby bsoldiergirl » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:56 pm

They are picking now....Rugby and FW in opposite brackets-

They rated them:
1 FW vs SC
2 Rugby vs Parshall
3 OG vs MPCG
4 New England vs LLM

The number 5-8 teams were picked from a bowl at random.
Play for the name on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.
bsoldiergirl
NDPreps Starter

Postby Old Drifter » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:07 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:LLM, Shiloh, and Parshall all repeat appearances from the girls last weekend. Pretty cool thing for those schools/communities.

Indeed it is Friend...I don't know the size of LLM but (as a Braves fan) both girls and boys teams making the state Tournament is a very big deal In Parshall, especially from a school with a total Sr high student population of 63. The Girls made the tourney for the first time in school history and with the exception of a few believers on this forum, nobody is giving the Braves a chance what with all this talk of 'region 8 being the weakest'...blase blah...The Boys team may not have the stellar record of the others at State but they are not just Deondre Simpson who in my estimation is the best Sophomore in the State. (but i'm biased)...Deon has a supporting cast of Monte Good Bird, a 6' 5" Intimidating presence in the middle with a soft sweet shot plus excellent ballhandlers and 3-point shooters in Foote, Billedeau and Odermann. Nobody mentioned the Parshall Girls as any kind of factor at the state Tourney until they took Kindred to overtime and proved they belonged there. Anything can happen at the State B and being at that venue can elevate any teams play...I'm looking for the young Braves to not win the title maybe but they will make a noise...and they may very well be back next year as they'll lose one Senior starter..the rest are all sophomores and Juniors... :)

EDIT: ouch! I see the Braves have been matched up against Rugby...
Last edited by Old Drifter on Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Old Drifter
NDPreps Starter

Postby thundarsdaddy » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:12 pm

So why does the NDHSAA show the brackets like this???

http://www.ndhsaa.com/news/1216/state-c ... -announced
thundarsdaddy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:13 pm

thundarsdaddy wrote:So why does the NDHSAA show the brackets like this???

That's wrong...smh!

EDIT: They just fixed it
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby thundarsdaddy » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:17 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
thundarsdaddy wrote:So why does the NDHSAA show the brackets like this???

That's wrong...smh!

EDIT: They just fixed it

Yup...its fixed...that was fast...lol
thundarsdaddy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Big Blue » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:40 pm

I really wish the NDHSAA would make a motion to seed all eight teams. What are they afraid of: hurting feelings? It just makes a lot more sense to include everyone in the seeding process. The whole drawing random for the bottom four sports is just odd to me.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby siouxforever7 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:42 pm

I think the main reason it's done is to make sure that the four best teams in the tournament aren't playing each other in the first round.
siouxforever7
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:45 pm

Big Blue wrote:I really wish the NDHSAA would make a motion to seed all eight teams. What are they afraid of: hurting feelings? It just makes a lot more sense to include everyone in the seeding process. The whole drawing random for the bottom four sports is just odd to me.

MN seeds the top 5 teams and then randomly draws next 3 teams...its worked for them.

So far in ND the seeding has worked out for the most part (a few upsets always happen).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Big Blue » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:50 pm

I just think if you seed four of five seed them all. It's the state tournament, drawing out of the hat should be banned for anything after elementary school. But hey, it makes for an interesting time on the Dom Super A Selection Show. Or maybe not.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby nolan4 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:03 pm

Big Blue wrote:I just think if you seed four of five seed them all. It's the state tournament, drawing out of the hat should be banned for anything after elementary school. But hey, it makes for an interesting time on the Dom Super A Selection Show. Or maybe not.

I am for either top 4 and wouldnt be against seeding all 8........but i like the seeding, this kind of puts pressure on the seeded team and sometimes lets us see how some teams handle the pressure of it.......i know some of the cinderella teams probably would prefer random , cuz if you think, as a fan, your team is the 7th best team you would like your chances to play a 8th or 6th best team over 1 thru 4.........................now as a player, i was once one many yrs ago, no matter who we played, we always thought we could win, then the final score would tell me, ummmm, i guess not LOL.
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby classB4ever » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:14 pm

Think there is good and bad in seeding.
Good: It rewards a team for a successful regular season and for scheduling tougher opponents.
Bad: Kind of tells teams, well, we don't think you are the best team here, but you are here.
So, by seeding half, you kinda get the best of both worlds. Every team is going there to win it, so you have to beat them all anyway. 2 cents.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby woodchuck10 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:54 pm

1st - Rugby
2nd - New England
3rd - Oak Grove
4th - FW-Minnewukan
5th - Parshall
6th - LaMoure-LM
7th - MPCG
8th - Shiloh Christian
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BB11 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:20 pm

1st - Rugby
2nd - FWM
3rd - New England
4th - Oak Grove
5th - Lamoure - LM
6th - MPCG
7th - Shiloh Christian
8th - Parshall

woodchuck10 wrote:1st - Rugby
2nd - New England
3rd - Oak Grove
4th - FW-Minnewukan
5th - Parshall
6th - LaMoure-LM
7th - MPCG
8th - Shiloh Christian
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby ninja_joe » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:15 pm

Thursday, March 19th
G1: #2 Rugby (22-2) vs. Parshall (17-7)
G2: #3 Oak Grove (21-4) vs. May-Port-CG (18-6)
G3: #1 Four Winds-Minnewukan (22-2) vs. Shiloh Christian (18-6)
G4: #4 New England (22-2) vs. LaMoure-LM (18-7)

Rugby vs. Parshall
These two regions played in last year's opening round with Rugby just barely getting by New Town. That won't happen this year. Parshall is coming out of a weak Region 8. Rugby rolls to the easiest win in the opening round.

Oak Grove vs. May Port CG
The defending champions will come ready to roll regardless of how good of a defensive team MayPort has. Cavalier has a hard time scoring against a team with size & a team that plays good help. Cavalier has very little shooting. Oak Grove can & will shoot plus they play at a fast pace. Oak Grove might struggle early but they will get the tempo & win handily,

Four Winds vs. Shiloh Christian
Shiloh will be prepared for this one. Four Winds tends to play a little too fast & Shiloh will take advantage. I think this game will be a close one...closer than it should be. But in the end, Four Winds has the better talent & even though they won't play well, they will pull it out.

New England vs. LaMoure-LM
This could be the best game of the opening round. LaMoure-LM will get no respect here & be totally overlooked. Anthony Olson plays like he is 6'5". I watched them dismantle Dickinson Trinity two years ago at the State B when Trinity was suppose to cake walk through the tourney. They got cut down to size in the opening round. New England is tough...and should win. But watch out. These LaMoure kids might get a little mojo going and put themselves in a position to pull off a shocker.

It will be fun to watch. Hard to say who wins it. I do like Oak Grove but its hard to repeat. Four Winds & Rugby might be playing with the most motivation as each of the last two years, they finished 2nd place respectively...when it looked like they should have won the whole thing. Looking forward to the tourney & good luck to all the teams!
ninja_joe
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sticks11 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:37 pm

ninja_joe wrote:Thursday, March 19th
G1: #2 Rugby (22-2) vs. Parshall (17-7)
G2: #3 Oak Grove (21-4) vs. May-Port-CG (18-6)
G3: #1 Four Winds-Minnewukan (22-2) vs. Shiloh Christian (18-6)
G4: #4 New England (22-2) vs. LaMoure-LM (18-7)

Rugby vs. Parshall
These two regions played in last year's opening round with Rugby just barely getting by New Town. That won't happen this year. Parshall is coming out of a weak Region 8. Rugby rolls to the easiest win in the opening round.

Oak Grove vs. May Port CG
The defending champions will come ready to roll regardless of how good of a defensive team MayPort has. Cavalier has a hard time scoring against a team with size & a team that plays good help. Cavalier has very little shooting. Oak Grove can & will shoot plus they play at a fast pace. Oak Grove might struggle early but they will get the tempo & win handily,

Four Winds vs. Shiloh Christian
Shiloh will be prepared for this one. Four Winds tends to play a little too fast & Shiloh will take advantage. I think this game will be a close one...closer than it should be. But in the end, Four Winds has the better talent & even though they won't play well, they will pull it out.

New England vs. LaMoure-LM
This could be the best game of the opening round. LaMoure-LM will get no respect here & be totally overlooked. Anthony Olson plays like he is 6'5". I watched them dismantle Dickinson Trinity two years ago at the State B when Trinity was suppose to cake walk through the tourney. They got cut down to size in the opening round. New England is tough...and should win. But watch out. These LaMoure kids might get a little mojo going and put themselves in a position to pull off a shocker.

It will be fun to watch. Hard to say who wins it. I do like Oak Grove but its hard to repeat. Four Winds & Rugby might be playing with the most motivation as each of the last two years, they finished 2nd place respectively...when it looked like they should have won the whole thing. Looking forward to the tourney & good luck to all the teams!

Good breakdown of the games. I agree. And it is really hard to predict anything here. I mean, on paper, yes.....but we always seem to get surprised by something. I think that's what I enjoy the most about the B. It should be another great tourney!
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby Jack8 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:38 pm

Game 1: Parshall in a upset by 4
Game 2: Oak Grove by 10
Game 3: Four Winds by 15
Game 4: New England by 3 in overtime

IMO
Jack8
NDPreps Starter

Postby HammerTime » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:00 pm

Jack8 wrote:Game 1: Parshall in a upset by 4
Game 2: Oak Grove by 10
Game 3: Four Winds by 15
Game 4: New England by 3 in overtime

IMO

I'm gonna guess that 8 in your name stands for Region 8. There might be chance Parshall will win (I mean, that's why they play the game), but after New Town fell out of the poll, no region 8 team received votes, let alone got ranked. Sure, the polls don't mean anything that much, but they are a decent indicator of who's good and who's not. If you're going to pick an upset, at least make it make sense.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to Boys