North Star --What could have been

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

North Star --What could have been

Postby vikingman » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:56 pm

I'm sure there will be people telling me to quit crying over spilled milk, and I realize that this happens pretty much every year to some team or other, but I can't help but think what a magical year this would have been for NS if Weston would have been playing.

We lost 5 games (including 3 to the #1 teams in the state), and the biggest losing margin was 13--which was tonight against 4 Winds (we were down by 4 going in to the 4th quarter). You will never be able to convince me that having a returning 6'7" all-stater who could intimidate on defense, rebound, and shoot lights-out from 3-point range wouldn't have been worth more than 13 points in all of those loses. What a duo it would have been to have Kvilvang and Weston working together as seniors. Teams focused their defense against Kvilvang all season, and he still ended up averaging around 23 ppg. With Weston out there, no team could have matched up against those two. We would have had 5 players who could be deadly from 3-point range.

But what a great effort for the remaining players this year! Great coaching job by Hagler, Haugen and Vote to win their 7th straight District 8 crown and 7th straight Region 4 championship appearance. Congrats to Kvilvang for SOY. I left before awards were given out, but think I caught on the radio that Hagler also won coach of the year.

I'll try and have game video for both teams up by about10:30. Four Winds has some great 3-point shooters!
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Re: North Star --What could have been

Postby mediaball » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:16 pm

Vikingman-of those seven straight region championship games, who did North Star play and how many state appearances resulted? Sounds like the Bearcats left it all on the floor tonight, it will be interesting to see how Four Winds represents your region at the state tournament.
mediaball
NDPreps Reserve

Postby vikingman » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:36 pm

We went to state 4 out of the 7 years. Beat Carrington 2 out of 3, beat Harvey once, won one out of 3 against 4 Winds. Probably the best team we had in those 7 years was one that didn't win it--losing to Carrington by 1 in OT.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby vikingman » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:55 pm

Video is still processing on YouTube as of 10:50, it's been taking a lot longer than usual today for some reason. When it's done, it will be here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlIO9-lM3jA
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby EHS1998 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:18 pm

Vikingman - Being from Ellendale, clearly I feel your pain but that's just the way things go. Very sorry Weston was not able to play, he is one heck of a player.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby 4mrnative » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:45 am

Viking...gotta chime in...SO proud of the NS communities and school...and you included! What a marvelous run it has been...and less people are sick and tired of hearing about NS (familiarity breeds contempt and who doesn't love an underdog or Cinderella story!), let me say that these cycles don't last forever. I grew up in Cando during a time when we were pretty much a basketball doormat for years. To have witnessed the effort, commitment and perseverance in a community with a small student population has been nothing less than inspirational. My sincere hope is that those qualities will persevere in a culture of pride and tradition.
I agree with EHS that this is just the way things go (and NS/Cando has had their share of such!), but to ask the question "what could have been" pays service to a team that truly left everything it had on the floor. I'm sure this doesn't make the Bearcats unique, but it sure speaks to what this basketball tradition can do for people and communities.
Also, Viking, as a remote, out-of-state fan, thank you for the incredible contributions you've made to use the webcast, video and internet technology to let people like me stay in touch and feel like a part of the community again. I'd laugh in delight as I would watch the webcasts from the old gymn and see neighbors and friends in the stands. I could almost smell the popcorn and hear the shoes squeaking on the floor! I don't know of any communities that have had a better presence in this arena and for NS to have your presence is truly a gift.
Finally...good luck Indians! It's been a spirited and not always amicable rivalry over the years. But what a tenascious, deep, athletic and well coached group of kids. I'll be pulling for you (and the Loboes!) at state.
4mrnative
NDPreps Starter

Postby vikingman » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:01 am

"community with a small student population"

I think that's what sets North Star apart from the other 'dynasties' people talk about. DT, Linton, Hillsboro, May-Port, etc., have had some dynasties over the past 3 or 4 decades and dominated their Districts and Regions, but those schools were among the larger schools in their Regions. If the talk of a 3-class system would have taken hold over these past 7 years, NS would have been in the bottom class, yet they still make it to state and do well there against the much bigger schools.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby Old Drifter » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:04 pm

i'm waaaaaaaaaaaay over here in region 8. why didnt weston play? injury?
Old Drifter
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Old Drifter wrote:i'm waaaaaaaaaaaay over here in region 8. why didnt weston play? injury?

Tore ACL in Football Playoffs
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Return to Boys