Region 2

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Region 2

Postby Come to Play » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:55 am

Grafton defeats DVE last night in region play in by 13 to 14 points. Grafton's Nieman moved from DVE to Grafton a couple years back. At the game last night, Grafton destroyed DVE on the full court press early to take the lead. Nieman was the result of this because of his prowness IMO. He scores 13 for the game. So without Grafton having Nieman, the score is a tie, and if he had stayed with DVE, DVE wins by 13! 26 point turn around. So can 1 player make a difference? Anyone that was at the game could attest to this was a no brainer. This is just an opinion as I am a neutral fan and enjoy the all out efforts of all the teams and their athleticism.
Come to Play
NDPreps Rookie

Re: Region 2

Postby packers21 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:43 am

Come to Play wrote:Grafton defeats DVE last night in region play in by 13 to 14 points. Grafton's Nieman moved from DVE to Grafton a couple years back. At the game last night, Grafton destroyed DVE on the full court press early to take the lead. Nieman was the result of this because of his prowness IMO. He scores 13 for the game. So without Grafton having Nieman, the score is a tie, and if he had stayed with DVE, DVE wins by 13! 26 point turn around. So can 1 player make a difference? Anyone that was at the game could attest to this was a no brainer. This is just an opinion as I am a neutral fan and enjoy the all out efforts of all the teams and their athleticism.

Nieman is a good player, who is only going to get better. But to say if he is playing for DVE the game would be a tie is not a logical thought. So many factors would be different for both teams. First off when Grafton applies pressure it begins with Z. Hernandez, hes the guy that makes them go. Nieman has hurt people this year on the offensive glass, very physical inside and has come nice touch around the glass for a freshman. Secondly, if he would stayed at DVE he woulda started for them last year as a 8th grader and had that much more varsity experience. In the game last night he probably would been DVE's second option on offense and ended with more that 13 points, because he woulda had more scoring chances. Its just so hard to say if you take this guy of a team and add him here you can just add so many points, doesn't always work like that.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby kingjames101 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:56 am

packers21 wrote:
Come to Play wrote:Grafton defeats DVE last night in region play in by 13 to 14 points. Grafton's Nieman moved from DVE to Grafton a couple years back. At the game last night, Grafton destroyed DVE on the full court press early to take the lead. Nieman was the result of this because of his prowness IMO. He scores 13 for the game. So without Grafton having Nieman, the score is a tie, and if he had stayed with DVE, DVE wins by 13! 26 point turn around. So can 1 player make a difference? Anyone that was at the game could attest to this was a no brainer. This is just an opinion as I am a neutral fan and enjoy the all out efforts of all the teams and their athleticism.

Nieman is a good player, who is only going to get better. But to say if he is playing for DVE the game would be a tie is not a logical thought. So many factors would be different for both teams. First off when Grafton applies pressure it begins with Z. Hernandez, hes the guy that makes them go. Nieman has hurt people this year on the offensive glass, very physical inside and has come nice touch around the glass for a freshman. Secondly, if he would stayed at DVE he woulda started for them last year as a 8th grader and had that much more varsity experience. In the game last night he probably would been DVE's second option on offense and ended with more that 13 points, because he woulda had more scoring chances. Its just so hard to say if you take this guy of a team and add him here you can just add so many points, doesn't always work like that.

I agree with packer21. So many variables to guess but logical sense it works on paper. Good point though.
What are everyone's thought on the match ups now going into region 2
tournament?
One man can be a crucial ingredient on a team, but one man cannot make a team.
kingjames101
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Come to Play » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:54 pm

Hillsboro and MayPort in final. Just a prediction....
Come to Play
NDPreps Rookie

Postby classB4ever » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:12 pm

Have watched many of the teams in Region 2 and can't believe how close all the teams are. Many of the teams are built on very physical play and in your face D, while a few like to get up and down the court. In the course of this tournament, I think the physical play wins. Not sure how the bracket is set up, but have Cav and Grafton in the championship.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby packers21 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:23 pm

Here's the bracket:

Monday, March 9th
G6: #1 Cavalier (16-5) vs. #8 Park River-FL (10-12) 3:00 PM
G7: #4 Hillsboro-Central Valley (17-5) vs. #5 Griggs County Central (16-6) 4:30 PM

G8: #2 May-Port-CG (15-6) vs. #7 Grafton (14-8) 6:00 PM
G9: #3 Hatton-Northwood (13-8) vs. #6 Thompson (12-10) 7:30 PM
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:35 pm

classB4ever wrote:Have watched many of the teams in Region 2 and can't believe how close all the teams are. Many of the teams are built on very physical play and in your face D, while a few like to get up and down the court. In the course of this tournament, I think the physical play wins. Not sure how the bracket is set up, but have Cav and Grafton in the championship.

this is the reason I say Region 2 (whoever goes) will fair better at State than some believe....this region has always put out bangers, and size, and physical play with tough D.....but I've said before the team that wins 3 games has to be able to score too this year, because its not a scorers Region this year and with the shot clock (seen the difference in last years state tourn) its up and down way more than the past when stalls and half court offenses ruled the Region and State tourns....
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:37 pm

what happened in the H-CV/FSHP game...couldn't believe that game was 3 points.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flying Wallenda » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:40 pm

packers21 wrote:Here's the bracket:

Monday, March 9th
G7: #4 Hillsboro-Central Valley (17-5) vs. #5 Griggs County Central (16-6) 4:30 PM

I believe Cavalier beats PRFL by 10 or so. The other 3 games could LITERALLY be pulled out of a hat. Easily could go either way. But channeling my inner Jimmy the Greek, I'll go with HCV by 3, Grafton by 2, and HN by 6.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby RedDirtFan » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:59 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:
packers21 wrote:Here's the bracket:

Monday, March 9th

I believe Cavalier beats PRFL by 10 or so. The other 3 games could LITERALLY be pulled out of a hat. Easily could go either way. But channeling my inner Jimmy the Greek, I'll go with HCV by 3, Grafton by 2, and HN by 6.

Cavalier only wins by 10 or more if PRFL goes ice cold.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:00 pm

scc wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:what happened in the H-CV/FSHP game...couldn't believe that game was 3 points.

HCV was something like 18 of 60 from the field and 7 of 18 at the free throw line. FSHP got on a 7-0 run in the 4th to go up 40-33, but HCV followed it up with a 12-0 run. The two teams had just played each other on the same floor 5 nights earlier.

HCV just looked out of synch that night - bad ballhandling decisions, bad shot selection, missed bunnies, playing a full court man but not committing to any run and jump traps. FSHP hit some bombs during their second half run. Aiding HCV's 12-0 comeback run was an ankle injury to FSHP's point guard. He was ever so steady that night and hit a bomb or two but went down early in the 4th.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby RedDirtFan » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:29 pm

Game 1:

Not an ideal matchup for Cavalier--PRFL is playing as well as anybody in the region. At the same time, Cavalier is the 1 seed for a reason. This could be the best game of day 1 if both teams maintain perspective. Cavalier can't overlook PRFL; PRFL can't get too high leading to aggressive mistakes.

Game 2:

So long as HCV's play-in game was a bad night, I see them winning this one. They picked up some great wins at the end of the season and I've been told that, when at their best, they're the best team in the region. I suppose we'll find that out on Monday.

Game 3:

Grafton has the two biggest wins in the region for the season, but had let downs against teams that Cavalier took it to pretty handily. Which Grafton team shows up? They play well most every night, but they absolutely have nights where they look unbeatable. Let's see how this game plays out. Mayville played some great ball late in the season, but proved to be beatable thanks to Cavalier and HCV.

Game 4:

I know next to nothing about Hatton/Northwood, but I do know Thompson is a young team. Sounds like another game that's up in the air.

I can't watch all 4 games but I sure wish I had the day off. It'll be a great day of basketball.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsking » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:29 pm

RedDirtFan wrote:Game 1:

Not an ideal matchup for Cavalier--PRFL is playing as well as anybody in the region. At the same time, Cavalier is the 1 seed for a reason. This could be the best game of day 1 if both teams maintain perspective. Cavalier can't overlook PRFL; PRFL can't get too high leading to aggressive mistakes.

Game 2:

So long as HCV's play-in game was a bad night, I see them winning this one. They picked up some great wins at the end of the season and I've been told that, when at their best, they're the best team in the region. I suppose we'll find that out on Monday.

Game 3:

Grafton has the two biggest wins in the region for the season, but had let downs against teams that Cavalier took it to pretty handily. Which Grafton team shows up? They play well most every night, but they absolutely have nights where they look unbeatable. Let's see how this game plays out. Mayville played some great ball late in the season, but proved to be beatable thanks to Cavalier and HCV.

Game 4:

I know next to nothing about Hatton/Northwood, but I do know Thompson is a young team. Sounds like another game that's up in the air.

I can't watch all 4 games but I sure wish I had the day off. It'll be a great day of basketball.

I don't think anyone can or will be overlooking their opponent. I agree that these 4 games will be very exciting to watch. As it is stated above"Which team shows up" I really think pertains to all 8 teams. If you go back in the season, it seems that all these teams either split during the season in close games, or beat or lost to a team that some else beat at one point and time. With that being said, I will say that Cav beats P/R by 10. Griggs seems to be playing some good ball as of late, but I think Hillsboro pulls out the win. MPCG and Grafton could prove a lot us wrong. I really thought MPCG would be the team this year, but have had some issues during their season. MPCG won by 1 in the regular season and I will say they win this one in a very close game. But never count Grafton out, wouldn't surprise me if Grafton would prevail. H/N and Thompson also split during the season. H/N was talked about in the beginning of the season to be up there, Thompson was mentioned as a young team maybe a year away. I will say that Thompson pulls this out. However it turns out, it sure looks to be one of the most competitive tourneys that I can remember in a long time. I think there are 2 or 3 other regions that could have some " suprises" this year also.
sportsking
NDPreps Starter

Postby RedDirtFan » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:46 pm

Cavalier 40
PRFL 24
Halftime.

I'm not mentioning this as an excuse for the score but the game swung after the officials applied 2 fouls to the wrong player. PRFL's Matt Dobmeier, their best inside defender and one of the region's best shot blockers, was given his first 2 fouls on plays when he was nowhere close to the play, and where two other Aggie players clearly committed the fouls.

Itstinks to see an otherwise well officiated game be marred by 2 blatant mistakes. Officials can't be doing this in Region play.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby kingjames101 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:56 pm

RedDirtFan wrote:Cavalier 40
PRFL 24
Halftime.

I'm not mentioning this as an excuse for the score but the game swung after the officials applied 2 fouls to the wrong player. PRFL's Matt Dobmeier, their best inside defender and one of the region's best shot blockers, was given his first 2 fouls on plays when he was nowhere close to the play, and where two other Aggie players clearly committed the fouls.

Itstinks to see an otherwise well officiated game be marred by 2 blatant mistakes. Officials can't be doing this in Region play.

I guess I missed that or overlooked those calls.....
One man can be a crucial ingredient on a team, but one man cannot make a team.
kingjames101
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby RedDirtFan » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:34 pm

kingjames101 wrote:
RedDirtFan wrote:Cavalier 40
PRFL 24
Halftime.

I guess I missed that or overlooked those calls.....

Like I said, it's not an excuse. There were fouls on both plays. The official just reported the wrong number. Twice. Once he picked up his third foul, the momentum swung without him protecting the paint.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby vikingman » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:33 pm

If you can check the webcast, post a link to the times of the wrong calls. This also happened to North Star in the game against Grafton--Kvilvang was given a foul when he was nowhere near the ball.

And whoever is webcasting Region 2, why not zoom in a bit? No need to see 20 feet behind the half line when a team is in their half-court offense.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby RedDirtFan » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:37 pm

Let me rephrase--I should not have used "nowhere near." He was in the general area but he didn't do anything while teammates of his committed each foul. The second bad call involved a teammate pulling the offensive player back and onto the ground.

How do I check the webcast? These should be pretty easy to point out.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby vikingman » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:56 pm

vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby RedDirtFan » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:10 pm

I'm not sure how the view is going to do justice to this but I'll try.

The second occurs between 18:20 and 18:30. He puts his hand up to try and block the shot but one of his teammates is pulling the offensive player to the ground and the ball and the offensive player's hands are several feet from #20's outstretched hand. No way the official could have been calling the foul on him and not the player who pulled the shooter to the ground. I'll start looking for the first.

The first is between 13:30 and 13:40. Again, #20's hand goes up to challenge but he's several feet away and the foul occurred when a teammate grabbed/hacked at the offensive player when the ball was down at his waist level. There was absolutely no contact by 20 on this play or on the second occurrence up above. There was more blatant contact from other players and I am positive that's what they blew the whistle for each time. The way the signaled the fouls and everything indicated it.

I mean, unless this kid can reach an extra 3 feet from what general human arm length allows, these two fouls were applied to the wrong player.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby RedDirtFan » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:16 pm

Is there a Rules thread anywhere? I think it'd be great for this forum to have a thread where users can ask about certain rules they may be confused about. Heck, we could even have some fun with it by talking about all the silly things you hear people yell for at games. I swear, if I hear one more person holler "over the back" in the stands...
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby vikingman » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:32 am

RedDirtFan wrote:I'm not sure how the view is going to do justice to this but I'll try.

I mean, unless this kid can reach an extra 3 feet from what general human arm length allows, these two fouls were applied to the wrong player.

The first foul call was the worst. The second was bad, too, but the ref who called it was at a bad angle, so that might explain it to some degree. The player didn't seem to voice any objection at all to the 1st call, looked a little bewildered on the 2nd.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sticks11 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:54 am

RedDirtFan wrote:Is there a Rules thread anywhere? I think it'd be great for this forum to have a thread where users can ask about certain rules they may be confused about. Heck, we could even have some fun with it by talking about all the silly things you hear people yell for at games. I swear, if I hear one more person holler "over the back" in the stands...

This drives me nuts. I also can't stand when people yell, "Call it both ways." It's usually from when a kid gets hammered on one end, a foul gets called, then there's marginal contact on the other end that doesn't get called and people start yelling. The "over the back" thing is the worst, to me.
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:05 am

We actually had an official call a foul for a player being "over the back" in the District 6 Tournament. First time I have ever heard it called "over the back", usually it is just called a push.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby the old guy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:09 am

"Basketball is much like church, many attend, few understand."

Bob Knight
the old guy
NDPreps Reserve

Next

Return to Boys