Mr. Basketball

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Mr. Basketball

Postby nationalchamp00 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:10 pm

Who will be up and who will win??
nationalchamp00
NDPreps Rookie

Re: Mr. Basketball

Postby bsoldiergirl » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:15 pm

I would like to see Austin Lee from Berthold on the list. I think(I may be wrong) he has been playing varsity ball since his freshman year and has remained consistent, accurate and dependable his entire high school basketball career. I sure hope his current injury doesn't keep him off the list, that would be a shame. I am not from Berthold but, when we play them, he is so fun to watch and sometimes you have to marvel at the shots he makes :!:
Play for the name on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.
bsoldiergirl
NDPreps Starter

Postby HammerTime » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:59 pm

Last year, I would have said Brad Heidlebaugh, but this year, even with his career performances, might not be the candidate. I'm sad to say this but it might go to another Class A kid this year. Sure there are great players across the state in Class B, but not many stand out above the crowd.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:24 am

If Heidlebaugh & Kretchman aren't nominees then I'd be shocked.

Class A seniors are down this year...if B should have the upper hand this year in Mr. Basketball & Lions All Star game...next year things will shift back to A.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:52 am

From the east side of state. Players I've watched in no specific order that could be mentioned: Heidlebaugh, Kvilvang, McKay, Lee, Robbins, Purinton, Kretchman, White. Haven't had a chance to see many west teams, so can't comment on those.

In class A, IMO Irwin of Wahp would be the front runner but haven't seen enough of other A teams to really know.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby NDbballfan-AandB » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:12 pm

if it doesn't go to a kid from class A the award should go to Austin Lee. Close second would be Kretchman. that's pretty much it. Anyone who has watched Lee knows
NDbballfan-AandB
NDPreps Rookie

Postby nationalchamp00 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:43 pm

Halverson - Minot
Irwin - Wahpeton
Collins III - West Fargo
Lee - Berthold
Hiedelbaugh - Rugby
Kretchmann - Oak Grove
nationalchamp00
NDPreps Rookie

Postby senditin » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:32 pm

nationalchamp00 wrote:Halverson - Minot
Irwin - Wahpeton
Collins III - West Fargo
Lee - Berthold
Hiedelbaugh - Rugby
Kretchmann - Oak Grove

If you you list Lee, Hiedelbaugh and Kretchmann, than you have to include Mckay.
senditin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:36 pm

senditin wrote:
Irwin - Wahpeton
Collins III - West Fargo
Lee - Berthold
Hiedelbaugh - Rugby
Kretchmann - Oak Grove

If you you list Lee, Hiedelbaugh and Kretchmann, than you have to include Mckay.

In my opinion, McKay should top the list for class B
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:40 pm

agree....he plays extremely high intensity ball every time he steps on the court....
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby nationalchamp00 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:46 pm

I just threw a list up because no one else would. Add him to it and anyone else deserving :)
nationalchamp00
NDPreps Rookie

Postby hsfootballfan » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:56 pm

What is the criteria of getting nominated and then getting the nod for Mr. Basketball. Is it just the play on the court or is their other off the court things that go along with it? Is it based on a career of basketball or just senior year? I don't think I have ever heard what the basis of Mr. Basketball is.
hsfootballfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:59 pm

hsfootballfan wrote:What is the criteria of getting nominated and then getting the nod for Mr. Basketball. Is it just the play on the court or is their other off the court things that go along with it? Is it based on a career of basketball or just senior year? I don't think I have ever heard what the basis of Mr. Basketball is.

This gets asked every year...a no its not how many times you hold the door for someone....Its BASKETBALL.. :D
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby kingjames101 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:18 pm

winner-within wrote:
hsfootballfan wrote:What is the criteria of getting nominated and then getting the nod for Mr. Basketball. Is it just the play on the court or is their other off the court things that go along with it? Is it based on a career of basketball or just senior year? I don't think I have ever heard what the basis of Mr. Basketball is.

This gets asked every year...a no its not how many times you hold the door for someone....Its BASKETBALL.. :D

Well then I'm going to stop doing that now if it won't get me more votes :lol:
One man can be a crucial ingredient on a team, but one man cannot make a team.
kingjames101
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby noles4ever » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:39 pm

Assuming that the media looks at the career of a player as well as their senior year, even though it is a senior award you would have to think that multiple all-state awards would be figured in. The class A list would have none as there were no Juniors on the Class A all-state team a year ago. However, I think Irwin, Collins, and Halverson will be on there, from there if we look at the Class B all-state list from a year ago that gives us Heidelbaugh, Mckay, Robbins, Kvilvang, and Weston. Weston did not play this year so I assume that eliminates his name from contention. Obviously Kretchman and Lee have to be considered. I do not think that there will be 9 nominees, so a few names will be left out.
I would try to select my nominees from this list. I think Heidelbaugh would be my personal selection for Mr. Basketball, he is a beast. I have seen Collins play and he is a good one. Have seen Heidelbaugh, Mckay, Robbins, Kvilvang, and Kretchman play. At times they all change the game from scoring to rebounding to drawing double teams and in some cases even triple teams. Have not seen Lee play so cannot comment, just know he is a prolific scorer. Another name that pops up is Adam White. He wasn't all-state last year but probably should have been. Saw him in the Grand Am and wow is he a nice player. I definitely think that the B lions team will be significantly better than the A this year. Just thoughts and observations. I started to list 6 nominees and I had a hard time taking those 7 class B players down to 3 to go with the 3 Class A players.
Just couldn't justify why to eliminate anyone, they are all really good.
noles4ever
NDPreps Starter

Postby noles4ever » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:48 pm

Another one you could add to the list is Purinten from Linton, saw him in the state tourney and the Grand Am and is a very heady player, I also realize that the SW corner is not represented and I don't get the chance to see those teams, is Prince from New England in the conversation or not, IDK, with the two transfers they got in has his role been lessened a little.
noles4ever
NDPreps Starter

Postby LILchump » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:33 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong...
Since Lee and Heidelbaugh are in the same region, one of those two will most likely win region athlete of the year (I'd hate to be the one picking that winner between those two). Whoever does not win region athlete between those two would be "out of the running," so to speak, for Mr. Basketball.
LILchump
NDPreps Reserve

Postby leroybla » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:39 pm

Irwin - Wahpeton
Collins III - West Fargo
Lee - Berthold
Hiedelbaugh - Rugby
Kretchmann - Oak Grove

Adams from Oak Grove lead his team in scoring and rebounding, while Kretchmann lead in assists and steals this year.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby nolan4 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:31 pm

LILchump wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong...
Since Lee and Heidelbaugh are in the same region, one of those two will most likely win region athlete of the year (I'd hate to be the one picking that winner between those two). Whoever does not win region athlete between those two would be "out of the running," so to speak, for Mr. Basketball.

Not necessarily, Mr Basketball is a media vote, and the Region POY is coach or AD vote, i believe. Also, i dont recall when , but someone will probably remember if this is true, but I think there was a player named Mr Basketball who wasnt POY. Or maybe it was a Miss Basketball.......Anyone remember??? I may be wrong tho.
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:04 pm

My short list.

Dakota Halvorson
Brad Heidlebaugh
Blaze Irwin
Treyvonn Mckay
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Broncos811 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:40 pm

balla45 wrote:My short list.

Dakota Halvorson
Brad Heidlebaugh
Blaze Irwin
Treyvonn Mckay

This would be my list exactly with the addition of Lee. Or if we're keeping it to four I'd take Halvorson or Heidlebaugh out depending on the day but its really not an easy list to drop anyone out of. I'm just thankful I'm not in charge of widdling down that list any further.
Broncos811
NDPreps Reserve

Postby go maji » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:29 am

Halvorson has to get extra creds for being only 5'8. He is a tenacious defender to go along with a great offense.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby hsfootballfan » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:47 pm

Of all the guys that have been listed, how many of them can actually excel at the next level? Heidelbaugh is heading to UND to play football. Lee, not real sure, I know he likes baseball an awful lot, and is good at it as well. To me, I would think a Mr. BB finalist would be for surely heading to the next level to extend his bb career. But then again, a Mr. BB candidate in ND is a whole lot different than players who win it in other states. There haven't been many winners of this award that has played D1 ball at the highest level.
hsfootballfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:59 pm

The ones I know of:
Irwin - Minot - bb
Kvilvang - Jamestown - bb
Robbins - NDSU - football
Heidlebaugh - UND - football
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby NDbballfan-AandB » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:14 pm

LILchump wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong...

If they are going by career than yeah prlly heidelbaugh. But if they are going by this season it is unquestionably Lee. Even the berthold rugby matchup, if you were at the game or seen the box score, Lee showed out. They led 80 percent of the game but rugby's overall team size wore them down. Austin Lee has been without question the best player in this region his team has no one over 6'2 and he carried them to a 20-1 record. He is the best player in this region and should be a Mr. basketball candidate.
NDbballfan-AandB
NDPreps Rookie

Next

Return to Boys