2015 District Tourneys

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2015 District Tourneys

Postby bsoldiergirl » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:09 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
bsoldiergirl wrote:
Gunning4ya wrote:
bsoldiergirl wrote:
nolan4 wrote:District 12 Berthold 44 Surrey 39
Bishop Ryan 64 Our Redeemers 58
Glenburn over Mohall-Lansford-Sherwood

Our Redeemers vs DLB playin
Surrey vs Glenburn playin
Berthold vs Ryan Championship Monday

I may be wrong, I thought DLB would play Glenburn on Monday in the loser out game. They both had 1rst round loses & ORCS, Ryan and Surrey had 1rst round wins which would put them in the winning bracket and automatically advance, with Berthold, to the regional tournament. Monday nights games would be a matter of determining placement in the regionals.

You have to have a minimum of 2 wins in districts to advance to the Regional tournament. All teams in the play in bracket have 1 a piece.

DLB hasn't won a game yet....Do you mean it's a double elimination tournament? You have to lose twice and them you're done :?:

under his reasoning...DL-B gets "credit" for a "win" via the bye.

The key with a 7 team tourney that's double elimination...if you are in the 4/5 game you stand a better chance to advance to regions by winning game 1 and playing likely a 6 or 7 seed (barring upsets). Losing puts you in a tough matchup with likely the 2/3 seeds.

Thanks for the explanation Run.....makes sense. :wink:
Play for the name on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.
bsoldiergirl
NDPreps Starter

Postby EHS1998 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:16 am

Wanted to say a note of thanks for all the prayers and kind thoughts for Adam White. He is back home now. He is banged up, took 10 stitches, but avoided a much more serious injury, it appears. His teammates played a heck of a game. We are so thankful. God is good.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:26 am

Nice to see D-A in the championship of dist 11. Are they back at full strength now?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sticks11 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:55 am

ndlionsfan wrote:Nice to see D-A in the championship of dist 11. Are they back at full strength now?

They are back at full strength. The guys that were out: Volson, Reinowski, Schatz, and Windish are now all playing. From the way they're moving around and they're conditioning, you wouldn't know they were out. Nice to see them get everyone back for tourney time.
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby justplayalready » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:01 am

Sticks11 wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:Nice to see D-A in the championship of dist 11. Are they back at full strength now?

They are back at full strength. The guys that were out: Volson, Reinowski, Schatz, and Windish are now all playing. From the way they're moving around and they're conditioning, you wouldn't know they were out. Nice to see them get everyone back for tourney time.

It's even more of a story that Westhope gets into a region qualifier...they've looked much better the last two games. I think they have a frosh with some big upside when he bulks up a bit.

This district was messed up seeding wise from the start, due to the DA injuries...Rugby is a step above as 1.

I think DA is the two, Sawyer the third. I like Bottineau to beat Towner...
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby sportsphenom » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:46 am

EHS1998 wrote:Wanted to say a note of thanks for all the prayers and kind thoughts for Adam White. He is back home now. He is banged up, took 10 stitches, but avoided a much more serious injury, it appears. His teammates played a heck of a game. We are so thankful. God is good.

Great to hear, we've been praying for him since last night. His teammates played a heck of a game in place of his absence. Good luck to the Cardinals on Monday.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportsrube » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:06 pm

EHS1998 wrote:Wanted to say a note of thanks for all the prayers and kind thoughts for Adam White. He is back home now. He is banged up, took 10 stitches, but avoided a much more serious injury, it appears. His teammates played a heck of a game. We are so thankful. God is good.

Good news, hope to see Ellendale in the Regional Tournament and seeing Adam back on the court. Keeping him in our thoughts and prayers.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sticks11 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:34 pm

I was looking at D12 Surrey vs Glenburn game. Who can provide a little insight about this game? Surrey is probably the team in Region 6 that I know the least about.
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby nolan4 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:11 pm

Sticks11 wrote:I was looking at D12 Surrey vs Glenburn game. Who can provide a little insight about this game? Surrey is probably the team in Region 6 that I know the least about.

Surrey has seemed to pick up intensity from earlier in the year, i seen their first 2 games of this tourney and completely different than the middle of the yr when i seen them........they really look dont look like basketball players , in the sense that none of them are really smooth at all, but they do have a couple of good shooters.........I have seen them out of control at times, but they were down against Berthold in the second half by 13 points and tied it up in the 4th , to only lose later...........Glenburn has 2 really solid to very good players, but that is about all they have, but those 2 can win a game for them......i believe Glenburn won the regular season game with them by 1, but I will say Surrey, unless they cant contain Weeks(6'8) kid at all. If any specifics questions about them, i can try to answer :)
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby Gunning4ya » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:55 pm

nolan4 wrote:
Sticks11 wrote:I was looking at D12 Surrey vs Glenburn game. Who can provide a little insight about this game? Surrey is probably the team in Region 6 that I know the least about.

Surrey has seemed to pick up intensity from earlier in the year, i seen their first 2 games of this tourney and completely different than the middle of the yr when i seen them........they really look dont look like basketball players , in the sense that none of them are really smooth at all, but they do have a couple of good shooters.........I have seen them out of control at times, but they were down against Berthold in the second half by 13 points and tied it up in the 4th , to only lose later...........Glenburn has 2 really solid to very good players, but that is about all they have, but those 2 can win a game for them......i believe Glenburn won the regular season game with them by 1, but I will say Surrey, unless they cant contain Weeks(6'8) kid at all. If any specifics questions about them, i can try to answer :)

Glenburn has lost to Surrey twice, once in the Velva tournament by 6 and in the regular season by 1.
Gunning4ya
NDPreps Starter

Postby nolan4 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:57 pm

Gunning4ya wrote:
nolan4 wrote:

Glenburn has lost to Surrey twice, once in the Velva tournament by 6 and in the regular season by 1.

Thank you, i just looked it up and seen that and was going to comment on my mistake :)
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby Gunning4ya » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:51 pm

nolan4 wrote:
Gunning4ya wrote:
nolan4 wrote:

Thank you, i just looked it up and seen that and was going to comment on my mistake :)

Third time was not a charm.
Gunning4ya
NDPreps Starter

Postby woodchuck10 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:00 pm

Well my Woodchucks have still yet to win a district title. North Star on the other hand has just won their eighth in a row. Since the District tournaments are being phased out for super regionals, has any team had a run like North Stars.
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby yadot » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:49 pm

I could be wrong woodchuck10 but I thought it was seven in a row. Either way quite an accomplishment for northstar. Was quite a game tonite. Woodchucks play like that and they will be a tough out in regions.
yadot
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HammerTime » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:54 pm

As a District 11 fan, it was nice to see Drake-Anamoose back at full strength. But you could tell that the injured players were not quite there yet. 5 points in the first half? I was shocked. Even though Rugby is the No. 2 team in the state, they're not the team from last year that took bad reffing and an all-star 3 point shooter having the game of his life to take down. They've lost twice this year. I knew that Drake-Anamoose was down four starters when they played in the regular season, but I was expecting more of a fight this time around. This was the district championship, after all. It's great that they were in the district championship. But if they want to compete at regionals and advance past the first round, they should step it up.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby woodchuck10 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:54 pm

08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, and 15. Now that I think about it 08 might have been Munich-Starkweather or Leeds-Minneuaken.
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby vikingman » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:32 am

I'm pretty sure it's 7 for North Star. 5 with Jake Hagler as point guard, and two more since he's left.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby ninja_joe » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:13 am

Congrats to the Ray boys basketball team & their qualifying for the Region 8 tournament by winning two games in the District 16 tourney. This is no small feat considering what this team has gone through in the past week. It has been amazing to see the support all of the schools in Region 8 (boys & girls teams) have given to the Ray community after--and also all the schools around the state of ND. District 16 is also full of some classy coaches & I salute them in recognizing Tanner Garman as the District 16 Senior Athlete of the Year. Well done.

Good Luck Ray Jays...all of ND is thinking about you guys & rooting for you.
ninja_joe
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:20 am

District 2 Championship was an Instant Classic. Enderlin outplayed the Grovers for 20 of 24 minutes (most of 3 quarters) and then Oak Grove got hot. Sophomore off the bench hit 3 corner 3's and Kretchman went off for 21 points in 4th Quarter (32 for team in quarter).

Kretchman hit game-winning 3 from well beyond the arc over a tightly contested 6'7" Hurlburt (a mere inch probably changes this outcome).

EDIT: video link of final shot - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2865PoeeX9o

OG 15 32 50 82
END 20 39 66 80

OG (18-4): Kretchman 32, I. Olson 14, Richards 11, Adams 10, Bakkegard 9, Teigen 4, Slagle 1, Foster 1.

END (12-10): Hurlburt 28, Anderson 15, Lindemann 11, Lindgren 10, Bartholomay 8, Muscha 8.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby B-oldtimer » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:18 am

I was looking back Northstar run began 2009 for district championships but in 2008 didn't even qualify for region tournament. You are right with 7 district championships. It also in this time has been quite reshuffling of district 8 teams and several teams are no longer competing like Adams-Edmore, Munich/Starkweather, Minnw-leeds changed to Benson county of Leeds/Maddock. Also some prominent powers of district 8 have had run of poor teams Like Rolla and Langdon where they had teams for several years where they have had winless seasons with following seasons of just couple of wins. This district is not the district it was in 90's and early 2000's. When 6of 8 teams were very good teams and anyone of them could win the district. Northstar has had some very good teams holding up district 8 success in competing with other teams in region and state. But I don't think this is unique to district 8 depth and quality of play overall has fallen from 90's to now we don't have number of teams or kids that are participating in basketball as it was then. I hear it from fans all over as well as I see it now myself. There are few really good teams each year but its only few each year in a region at least from what I have see.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby justplayalready » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:28 am

Sawyer gets into region tourney. I may be wrong but its been a least 15 years since their last appearance...
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby scramblinfran » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:42 am

District 10 Awards

All-District:
Max - Keegan Swanson, Nick Thompson
TLMM - Jake Hanson, Hunter Jacobs
Garrison - Dakota Rand, Dominic Ruhland
Washburn - Caleb Weisgarber, Zach Schell
Underwood - Zach Cottingham
Wilton - Brandon Jenkins, Ethan Silliman
Center Stanton - Matt Huber

Senior of the Year - Keegan Swanson - Max
Coach of the Year - Jason Mathias - Garrison

The All-Tournament Team was:
Max - Keegan Swanson, Nick Thompson
TLMM - Hunter Jacobs, Dylan Olson
Garrison - Dakota Rand
Washburn - Zach Schell
Underwood - Zach Cottingham, Parker Heger
Wilton - Brandon Jenkins
Center Stanton - Weston Meckle
scramblinfran
NDPreps Starter

Postby classB4ever » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:59 pm

B-oldtimer wrote:I was looking back Northstar run began 2009 for district championships but in 2008 didn't even qualify for region tournament. You are right with 7 district championships. It also in this time has been quite reshuffling of district 8 teams and several teams are no longer competing like Adams-Edmore, Munich/Starkweather, Minnw-leeds changed to Benson county of Leeds/Maddock. Also some prominent powers of district 8 have had run of poor teams Like Rolla and Langdon where they had teams for several years where they have had winless seasons with following seasons of just couple of wins. This district is not the district it was in 90's and early 2000's. When 6of 8 teams were very good teams and anyone of them could win the district. Northstar has had some very good teams holding up district 8 success in competing with other teams in region and state. But I don't think this is unique to district 8 depth and quality of play overall has fallen from 90's to now we don't have number of teams or kids that are participating in basketball as it was then. I hear it from fans all over as well as I see it now myself. There are few really good teams each year but its only few each year in a region at least from what I have see.

I don't think you need to go back to the '90s. District 8 has had 6+ teams that could have won the district as late as 2009-10-11. The M-S teams with the Becks, D-cks, Klein, Wright, Wirth, etc. The St. John teams with Davis boys, Henry, Parisien, etc. R-W led by Nick Pfeifer and Blake Nelson, etc. Leeds-Minn. with Paulson, Hausmann, Nelson and crew. Rolla was solid with a young Mitchell and others. Langdon with Zeis, Overby and others. It hasn't been a walk in the park for Northstar in that district. They had to be doing something right in the last 6 years, since they also made the regional championship game every year and 4 years went to state and competed quite well. Has 8 been down the last few years as a whole? Probably. As you stated, it is this way in many districts across the state and unfortunately, probably won't change.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby runandgun » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:54 pm

ninja_joe wrote:Congrats to the Ray boys basketball team & their qualifying for the Region 8 tournament by winning two games in the District 16 tourney. This is no small feat considering what this team has gone through in the past week. It has been amazing to see the support all of the schools in Region 8 (boys & girls teams) have given to the Ray community after--and also all the schools around the state of ND. District 16 is also full of some classy coaches & I salute them in recognizing Tanner Garman as the District 16 Senior Athlete of the Year. Well done.

Good Luck Ray Jays...all of ND is thinking about you guys & rooting for you.

Tanner Garman was voted District 16 Sr. Athlete of the Year by the coaches prior to the accident, but as stated, the coaches, not just in Dist. 16 but across the whole state have been nothing but class.
runandgun
NDPreps Rookie

Postby woodchuck10 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:37 pm

classB4ever wrote:
B-oldtimer wrote:I was looking back Northstar run began 2009 for district championships but in 2008 didn't even qualify for region tournament. You are right with 7 district championships. It also in this time has been quite reshuffling of district 8 teams and several teams are no longer competing like Adams-Edmore, Munich/Starkweather, Minnw-leeds changed to Benson county of Leeds/Maddock. Also some prominent powers of district 8 have had run of poor teams Like Rolla and Langdon where they had teams for several years where they have had winless seasons with following seasons of just couple of wins. This district is not the district it was in 90's and early 2000's. When 6of 8 teams were very good teams and anyone of them could win the district. Northstar has had some very good teams holding up district 8 success in competing with other teams in region and state. But I don't think this is unique to district 8 depth and quality of play overall has fallen from 90's to now we don't have number of teams or kids that are participating in basketball as it was then. I hear it from fans all over as well as I see it now myself. There are few really good teams each year but its only few each year in a region at least from what I have see.

I don't think you need to go back to the '90s. District 8 has had 6+ teams that could have won the district as late as 2009-10-11. The M-S teams with the Becks, D-cks, Klein, Wright, Wirth, etc. The St. John teams with Davis boys, Henry, Parisien, etc. R-W led by Nick Pfeifer and Blake Nelson, etc. Leeds-Minn. with Paulson, Hausmann, Nelson and crew. Rolla was solid with a young Mitchell and others. Langdon with Zeis, Overby and others. It hasn't been a walk in the park for Northstar in that district. They had to be doing something right in the last 6 years, since they also made the regional championship game every year and 4 years went to state and competed quite well. Has 8 been down the last few years as a whole? Probably. As you stated, it is this way in many districts across the state and unfortunately, probably won't change.

In 2003 St. John won the district regular season title and had something like an 18-3 record beating #3 undefeated New Rockford, #6 Cando, #9 Langdon, and another ranked team (maybe Bottineau). Went into districts ranked 5 or 6 in state and didn't even make regionals. Lost to Cando in the district and semis and lost to Leeds (the only district team they lost to in the regular season) in the Region qualifier. I believe Leeds was the 2 or 3 seed and was upset by Munich-Stark in the first round so the Region qualifier had two teams who should have been in the championship. I think that would have been one of the final years of true parity in District 8.
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Previous

Return to Boys