Rugby at Four Winds - 2/10/15

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Rugby at Four Winds - 2/10/15

Postby Sticks11 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:27 pm

What does everyone think about this game? Who's winning and why?

I think it's going to be a good battle with a great atmosphere. Both teams have guys that can score, defend, pass, and both teams can get up and down the floor really well. It should be exciting!
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Re: Rugby at Four Winds - 2/10/15

Postby winner-within » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:33 pm

I know Cavalier plays FW this Saturday in the GF shootout ...whats Rugbys schedule prior to the matchup next tues. and does FW's play anybody else....do either play monday?
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sticks11 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:44 pm

Rugby has Drake-Anamoose at home on 2/6/15 and then don't play until Four Winds.

Four Winds has Lakota/Edmore on 2/5/15 and then Cavalier on 2/7/15 which you said was at Grand Forks. On NDHSAA website, it says home for their Lakota game, but then where it says venue, it says Lakota/Edmore.

Regardless of where, Rugby plays Friday and Four Winds plays Thursday and Saturday. It doesn't look like either plays Monday.
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby classB4ever » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:21 pm

IMHO, this one comes down to 2 fundamental things:
1. Controlling the lane.
2. Controlling the tempo.

Rugby has the bigs to control the lane, so 4-winds will need to shoot high percentage from the field, which at home they usually do. Even. Therefore, it will come down to who controls the tempo. I think the 4-winds guards will pressure the ball the entire game and this will allow them to get the tempo in their favor with turnovers and layups 4-winds by 6+.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby 4mrnative » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:18 pm

- FW's home court will be an advantage.
- Rugby's guards are going to have to step up big time (see CB4E above)
- Heidelbaugh vs McKay...would love to see that...
- Is the Miller (?) kid back yet for Rugby?
This will be a barn burner...and very tough to predict...Fw's at home in 2 OT.
4mrnative
NDPreps Starter

Postby HammerTime » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:30 pm

Oh, Miller's back all right. Not a huge explosive performance yet, but probably one of the biggest confidence boosters for Rugby. This will likely be the biggest regular season matchup all year.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HONKER » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:08 pm

classB4ever wrote:IMHO, this one comes down to 2 fundamental things:
1. Controlling the lane.

Rugby has the bigs to control the lane, so 4-winds will need to shoot high percentage from the field, which at home they usually do. Even. Therefore, it will come down to who controls the tempo. I think the 4-winds guards will pressure the ball the entire game and this will allow them to get the tempo in their favor with turnovers and layups 4-winds by 6+.

Gourd does a nice job down low for F-W. Gets off the the floor very well. The guard play and bench have to go to F-W also. If Rugby is going to win, I believe it will come down to making free throws. F-W's will hack and attack the whole game. I'm going with F-W's by 12.
HONKER
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:45 am

I believe FW's best finish @ the B is third? with thats said this has to be the best team from Spirt Lake to this day? they have showed some pretty serious dominance this season and if they were to beat Rugby that would be a staple
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:50 am

winner-within wrote:I believe FW's best finish @ the B is third? with thats said this has to be the best team from Spirt Lake to this day? they have showed some pretty serious dominance this season and if they were to beat Rugby that would be a staple

Finished Runner-Up to Milnor in 2012-2013
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby warrior14 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:53 am

winner-within wrote:I believe FW's best finish @ the B is third? with thats said this has to be the best team from Spirt Lake to this day? they have showed some pretty serious dominance this season and if they were to beat Rugby that would be a staple

3rd?? You got to be kidding!
warrior14
NDPreps Rookie

Postby winner-within » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:14 pm

packers21 wrote:

Finished Runner-Up to Milnor in 2012-2013

Ok I had scanned through this site and thought it was third....cool...so 2end is good is this years team better than that team per say (for those who would know) just asking, haven't seen them play
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby B-oldtimer » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:50 pm

Hard to compare teams from year to year. This years team is very good and very deep again and if you get playing there style of basketball not usually good outcome for team playing them. I do think they are beatable but its going to take good defensive team and also team that is capable of scoring both inside and out. This teams revolves around T. McKay kid and if he is controlled from offensive stand point the difference between them and other teams narrows considerably. Four Winds have some very good players and enough size to play with anyone. The Fox kid is very good player doesn't show up ever big in box score but he plays good defense and controls ball well for Four Winds. I think if team can get close at the end you may have chance to beat them they play so few games where they are challenged to the end and its new experience for them. That is what happened to them last year with North star they had not played in game like that made few mistakes and lost the game.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby justplayalready » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:29 am

HONKER wrote:
1. Controlling the lane.

Gourd does a nice job down low for F-W. Gets off the the floor very well. The guard play and bench have to go to F-W also. If Rugby is going to win, I believe it will come down to making free throws. F-W's will hack and attack the whole game. I'm going with F-W's by 12.

I think Rugby is the better team. I'd think they would get a nice following tonite, so even on the road in that environment(I think FW fans feel the refs played an outcome in last years game), I'll take Rugby by 7-10
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby uspsrt » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:58 am

I listened to the Four Winds-Cavalier matchup on Saturday on KZZY and the announcer mentioned that Heidlebaugh suffered what might have been an ankle injury on Friday night against D-A. Does anyone know anything about this and if Rugby will be at full strength tonight. I know he only played a few minutes in that game, leaving early in the first quarter and he did not return to the bench.

I think the game depends on how it is reffed and how each team approaches the game. If the refs allow Rugby's bigs to create space it will be a long night for Four Winds. If Four Winds plays full court pressure defense it could be a long night for Rugby. This game really means nothing, but you know the kids on both teams do NOT want to lose this one.
uspsrt
NDPreps Reserve

Postby wildboy » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:37 am

justplayalready wrote:
HONKER wrote:
1. Controlling the lane.

I think Rugby is the better team. I'd think they would get a nice following tonite, so even on the road in that environment(I think FW fans feel the refs played an outcome in last years game), I'll take Rugby by 7-10

i hate to ruin your party buddy but four winds is the better team tonite
wildboy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sticks11 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:25 pm

wildboy wrote:
justplayalready wrote:
HONKER wrote:
1. Controlling the lane.

I like how you're completely certain about something that hasn't happened yet.
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby scout_101 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:37 pm

Sticks11 wrote:
wildboy wrote:
justplayalready wrote:
HONKER wrote:
1. Controlling the lane.

Hotdog and chips. Gotta love them
scout_101
NDPreps Starter

Postby HammerTime » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:19 pm

scout_101 wrote:
Sticks11 wrote:
wildboy wrote:
justplayalready wrote:
HONKER wrote:
1. Controlling the lane.

Hotdog and chips. Gotta love them

This is the biggest regular season game of the year. And in response to the whole refs thing, that is a big bunch of hooey. But, I will say that in an environment like 4winds, inexperienced refs can get sucked into the crowd and can't leave emotion at the door. I think that Rugby, while they can play without Heidlebaugh, he is the lynchpin to the entire offense. Rugby doesn't have another player close to him. That said, if he does play, I'm predicting Rugby by 7-12. Without him, 4winds by 12-20.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby noles4ever » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:25 pm

I'll go out on a limb here and say Four Winds in a runaway 20-30 point win. They are at home, Rugby not at full strength, amongst another unmentionable factor, and Four Winds has been rolling over people. I could be way off, but just a hunch.
noles4ever
NDPreps Starter

Postby thundarsdaddy » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:19 pm

Four Winds won by one point. Rugby went on a 20 to 0 run in the 4th and had chances at the end but Four Winds held on.
thundarsdaddy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sticks11 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:39 am

thundarsdaddy wrote:Four Winds won by one point. Rugby went on a 20 to 0 run in the 4th and had chances at the end but Four Winds held on.

This was a pretty crazy game to watch. The atmosphere was great and I'm not sure more people could have fit in the gym. Four Winds is up 59-40 in the 4th and then it comes down to the final possession. Class B at its best.
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:29 am

that's vastly interesting
how was the lead so big?
how was the comeback orchestrated?
was anybody there
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:39 am

Both teams with foul trouble in the first half. Rugby shot a lot of first half free throws and that kept them in the game. 8 point game at the half then McKay had a big third quarter to build it to 13 at the break. FWM scores the first 6 of the 4th quarter and Rugby took a timeout at the 6:30 mark. After that Rugby scores 20 straight, FWM just forcing some bad shots and going cold with quite a few turnovers, too. Rugby just kept chipping away and hitting some big shots. Took the lead with 44 seconds left 60-59. The younger McKay answered with a bucket with 30 seconds left. Rugby had the ball the rest of the time and had a few decent looks but nothing fell. Heidlebaugh had a shot blocked with under 10 seconds left. Rugby fumbled an inbound pass with 4 seconds left and Heidlebaugh had to throw up a prayer at the buzzer.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby T reporter » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:48 am

Any one know if the game was one the cube?
T reporter
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:14 am

ndlionsfan wrote:Both teams with foul trouble in the first half. Rugby shot a lot of first half free throws and that kept them in the game. 8 point game at the half then McKay had a big third quarter to build it to 13 at the break. FWM scores the first 6 of the 4th quarter and Rugby took a timeout at the 6:30 mark. After that Rugby scores 20 straight, FWM just forcing some bad shots and going cold with quite a few turnovers, too. Rugby just kept chipping away and hitting some big shots. Took the lead with 44 seconds left 60-59. The younger McKay answered with a bucket with 30 seconds left. Rugby had the ball the rest of the time and had a few decent looks but nothing fell. Heidlebaugh had a shot blocked with under 10 seconds left. Rugby fumbled an inbound pass with 4 seconds left and Heidlebaugh had to throw up a prayer at the buzzer.

Cool, thanks for the break down, yes even #1 and #2 in the state can have a helter skelter up/down game
and yes, thats why they play it...all young men and nerves can always play a part all the way to the coaches....Class B this year will have some fun games from now to Saturday night at the "B"
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Boys