Best Regional Venue

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Best Regional Venue

Postby HammerTime » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:55 pm

What do you think is the best regional venue for basketball? In my opinion, I think the Minot Municipal Auditorium is the best. It's small enough to make a medium sized crowd feel huge, it's got chair backed seating, it also feels like a regional host site. It feels like the tourney is building up to something bigger, which it is. It's the perfect size and they run concessions pretty well there, too. It always disappoints me when they host it at the Dome. I feel that the Dome is a good State Tourney site, but not regional. It's too big for the crowd, they occasionally screw up on running things (state volleyball, anyone?), and their concessions stink.
I think the Devils Lake Sports Center or Complex or whatever has that feel. It's just the right size. So what do you think is the best regional venue?
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Best Regional Venue

Postby justplayalready » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:43 am

Size it the key...gotta get to standing room only for the championship game. Both fan bases taking up a side, forcing the casual fans sitting on that same side to become a fan :D

DL is the perfect size for this...Agree that it also builds for something bigger..
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:26 am

I don't think I've ever been to a region tourney in DL when the atmosphere hasn't been absolutely electric. Great venue for a region tourney. Understand what the previous person said about the dome vs auditorium in Minot. Never been to a region game in the dome but I think the emptiness would kill the atmosphere
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sticks11 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:31 pm

I agree with a lot of the things that have been said. Devil's Lake Sports Center is a great venue for a region tourney. Big but not big enough to have empty seats usually, which is perfect for regions. The auditorium is good, too. It gives a great atmosphere especially on championship night. I love the dome, just not for a region tourney. Too much size. The dome would be my favorite place for a state tournament, minus the parking.
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Return to Boys