Epic Individual Matchups

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Epic Individual Matchups

Postby classB4ever » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:26 pm

What are some individual match ups that you would pay money to go back in time to see? I am sure there have been some unbelievable hyped match ups over the years. Big vs. big, point vs. point, shooter vs. shooter, defender vs. scorer. Also, if you know, who won the battle. I will start with one.

Big vs. Big - Phil Jackson vs. Paul Presthus. Believe they faced off in the 1962 championship game in which Rugby won. Would have loved to see that one. Anyone know who won this individual match up?
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: Epic Individual Matchups

Postby winner-within » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:18 pm

dont know who won that one but
Marty Mcdonald (munich) & Danny Phillips (langdon) 1992...Wow! Marty had a gear you only seen once in while when needed and I saw it about 4-5 times that game ....hard to shoot over 6'5" with long wings on a turn around jumper...but he did....to think that now the schools play sports together....Munich went on to win it all....some others too...I'll keep thinking :)
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:38 pm

Marty McDonald and Jason Haagenson (Leeds) also had some great matchups. in 1992 Munich came to Leeds, I think both teams were undefeated and ranked at the top, Munich won 86-83. McDonald had 43 points and I think Haagenson had 40. They also met in the state championship game that year and Munich won 70-65, but I don't remember how much each scored in that one.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby east sider » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:55 pm

State 2003(?)
Chad Glasser, Dickinson Trinity vs. Craig Nelson, MPCG

Two TRUE points going back and forth in what can only be described as a chess match on the court. I don't think I appreciated at the time how much skill, yet how disciplined these two were. Individually it seemed like a draw, but MPCG won so I guess you'd have to say Nelson won.

Wonder if anybody has any stats from that game?
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby east sider » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:57 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:Marty McDonald and Jason Haagenson (Leeds) also had some great matchups. in 1992 Munich came to Leeds, I think both teams were undefeated and ranked at the top, Munich won 86-83. McDonald had 43 points and I think Haagenson had 40. They also met in the state championship game that year and Munich won 70-65, but I don't remember how much each scored in that one.

Would love to see that game. Wow!
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby Legend26 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:14 pm

2014 Burns vs. Bussman, burns put up 45 points and Bussman put up 44 with Milnor winning that game
Legend26
NDPreps Rookie

Postby winner-within » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:57 pm

Frank Schill (walhalla) Lyndon dude ( most know real last name munich) this match-up took place only in Regions a couple of times I believe....both 6'4 very similar builds and both very good post players
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:12 pm

A big name match up:

Hunter Berg (Grenora) vs. Jimmy Kleinsasser (Carrington) in 1995 state championship game. Hunter won Mr. Basketball that year and went on to Williston and then UND for basketball I believe. Jim went to UND for football of course. Believe Carrington won this game fairly easy, but can't remember how each did individually.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:58 am

Jimmy Dominated, force inside ....dont remember what Hunter did
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Return to Boys