Which teams are the real deal this year?

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Which teams are the real deal this year?

Postby urserious » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:33 pm

Howie wrote:
grunt4188 wrote:A few weeks ago I put together how I thought the power rankings were.

1. Four Winds
2. Rugby
3. Oak Grove
4. Linton
5. New England
6. North Star (without Weston - with Weston back higher to 3)
7. Our Redeemers
8. Shiloh
9. Berthold
10 Central Cass
11. Heart River
12. Ellendale
13. Northern Cass
14. Hankinson
15. Hatton Northwood

People disagreed with me on some of the picks which is good. I thought I was fairly close at the time. If I were to pick again today I would go as follows.

1. Four Winds
2. Rugby
3. Linton
4. Oak Grove
5. Berthold
6. New England
7. Our Redeemers
8. Northern Cass
9. Dickinson Trinity
10. North Star
11. Shiloh
12. Ellendale
13. Hankinson
14. Carrington
15. Beulah
Some of the reason for my picks are as follows. First Linton was moved to third for they are playing good basketball right now. I was told one kid is averaging 65 +% from the field for the year and as a team they are playing some good D. If they match up size wise they will be tough to beat. That's why I moved them up ahead of Oak Grove. I'd pick them in Region Three but Ellendale and Carrington will challenge. Not sure about LaMoure, but have been told they are playing better lately. I said in a earlier post Dickinson Trinity is coming on and the other teams in Region Seven will have there hands full however at this time I still think New England wins Region Seven. I'm now sold on Berthold and put them ahead of Our Redeemers but still think Rugby is the team to beat in Region Six. Rugby will however have to play for 32 minutes if they want to make it back to the state tourney. Four Winds should win Region Four especially if Weston doesn't make it back to help North Star. Region Two doesn't seam to have any team that wants to step up and win consistently. That's why there isn't any body listed. There will be a good Region One tournament however I still think Oak Grove will prevail and repeat as champs of One. Region Eight ? No one standing out to me at this time. How are you guys thinking? Makes for good conversation.

I'll give you a teams body of work so far this year and you explain to me how they are not a top 15 team, if you just simply don't like the team, then just say that.

15-3 record, outscoring opponents by an average of 17
Beat Linton HMB on the road by 17
Beat Shiloh on a neutral court
3 losses all on the road by a combined 15 points.
Beat the number 3 team in South Dakota
Has one of the best scorers in North Dakota
Allows 48 points per contest

I am just curious how you don't think the team above is good

Teams HS grunt only likes teams from region 3
urserious
NDPreps Reserve

Postby EHS1998 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:47 pm

I think it would be a big mistake to count out Lamoure LM in Region 3. D5 and R3 are going to be extremely competitive from the 4/5 match up in Districts on. A very good team in D5 will not make it to R3.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby 4mrnative » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:43 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
grunt4188 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
grunt4188 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:just a heads up you have Northern Cass twice.

Region 8 favorite has to be New Town as they have been playing decent BB here as of late...just defeated Shiloh on the road by 9.

I don't mind your top 8...here are my thoughts:

1. Four Winds-Minnewaukan
2. Rugby
3. Linton-HMB
4. Oak Grove
5. Berthold
6. New England
7. Our Redeemers
8. Northern Cass
9. Hettinger-Scranton
10. Central Cass
11. Ellendale
12. Dickinson Trinity
13. Shiloh Christian
14. Carrington
15a. Hankinson
15b. May-Port-CG (playing great basketball down the stretch)

Do you know did Shiloh play there varsity for the New Town game. Was told that Shiloh wanted to play Center Stanton with there JV so they had room to play New Town but Center Stanton wouldn't go for it.

It was their varsity...their JV played Grant County during the regular season in replace of the Varsity playing GC (Jan. 13th W 72-25)

If that's the case Shiloh is to high in my rankings. New Town just lost to Standing Rock. Also kind of opens up Region Five. Thought Shiloh would win it, not so sure now. Solen could challenge. You think New Town will win Region Eight. How about the Parshall kids. Will they challenge?

Favorites first...then contenders in order from most likely to least (IMHO)

Region 1: Oak Grove, Northern Cass, Central Cass, Hankinson, Wyndmere-Lidgerwood, Enderlin
Region 2: Cavalier, May-Port-CG, Griggs Cty Central, Grafton, Thompson, Hillsboro-CV, Hatton-Northwood...wide open really
Region 3: Linton-HMB, Ellendale, Strasburg/Zeeland, Oakes, Carrington, LaMoure-LM
Region 4: Four Winds-Minnewaukan, Dunseith, North Star, Harvey-WC, St. John
Region 5: Shiloh Christian, Flasher, Solen, Standing Rock, Washburn
Region 6: Rugby, Berthold, Our Redeemer's, Bishop Ryan
Region 7: New England, Hettinger-Scranton, Dickinson Trinity, Beulah, Heart River, Killdeer, Hazen, Richardton-Taylor
Region 8: New Town, Parshall, Watford City, Kenmare, Trinity Christian/Trenton

Run...I have a lot of respect for your basketball acumen, but putting Carrington 14 and dropping NorthStar out entirely and not moving Dunseith or Harvey Wells County up doesn't feel logical...NS beat Carrington by 30 away...that wasn't coincidental. I would submit that there are some very nice, quiet teams in Region 4...Dunseith, Rolette-Wolford, Harvey Wells County and St. John or Dakota Prairie on a given night. They don't get the looks and press. I think that's primarily because 4W's has been so strong this year. There is room even in Region 4, for a surprise or two come Districts/Regionals...
4mrnative
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:23 pm

4mrnative...It didn't dawn on me that North Star wasn't there...they were originally and as I switched things around I must have forgotten them. North Star still stays low because Weston won't be back this year...they would have been around 9 or 10 if he was able to come back.

1. Four Winds-Minnewaukan
2. Rugby
3. Linton-HMB
4. Oak Grove
5. Berthold
6. New England
7. Our Redeemers
8. Northern Cass
9. Hettinger-Scranton
10. Central Cass
11. Ellendale
12. Dickinson Trinity
13. Shiloh Christian
14. North Star
15a. Carrington
15b. May-Port-CG (playing great basketball down the stretch)
15c. Hankinson
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby noles4ever » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:29 pm

Yeah, I don't really get the dropping out of North Star either, all 4 losses on the road, the hiccup against Harvey-WC maybe concerning but when Harvey is hitting their 3's they are tough, the Dunseith loss was at Dunseith and they will maybe rematch in the district, the other two are to rugby and four winds by 11 and 10. How do you drop that resume out of the top 15 but keep in a team they beat by 30 on the road. Pretty flawed, but who cares, just another poll that means nothing.
District girls has started and some are done, others finish monday, get out and take in some high intensity HS basketball, the next 5 weeks is what ND Class B Basketball is all about.
noles4ever
NDPreps Starter

Postby grunt4188 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:07 pm

urserious wrote:
Howie wrote:
grunt4188 wrote:A few weeks ago I put together how I thought the power rankings were.

1. Four Winds
2. Rugby
3. Oak Grove
4. Linton
5. New England
6. North Star (without Weston - with Weston back higher to 3)
7. Our Redeemers
8. Shiloh
9. Berthold
10 Central Cass
11. Heart River
12. Ellendale
13. Northern Cass
14. Hankinson
15. Hatton Northwood

People disagreed with me on some of the picks which is good. I thought I was fairly close at the time. If I were to pick again today I would go as follows.

1. Four Winds
2. Rugby
3. Linton
4. Oak Grove
5. Berthold
6. New England
7. Our Redeemers
8. Northern Cass
9. Dickinson Trinity
10. North Star
11. Shiloh
12. Ellendale
13. Hankinson
14. Carrington
15. Beulah
Some of the reason for my picks are as follows. First Linton was moved to third for they are playing good basketball right now. I was told one kid is averaging 65 +% from the field for the year and as a team they are playing some good D. If they match up size wise they will be tough to beat. That's why I moved them up ahead of Oak Grove. I'd pick them in Region Three but Ellendale and Carrington will challenge. Not sure about LaMoure, but have been told they are playing better lately. I said in a earlier post Dickinson Trinity is coming on and the other teams in Region Seven will have there hands full however at this time I still think New England wins Region Seven. I'm now sold on Berthold and put them ahead of Our Redeemers but still think Rugby is the team to beat in Region Six. Rugby will however have to play for 32 minutes if they want to make it back to the state tourney. Four Winds should win Region Four especially if Weston doesn't make it back to help North Star. Region Two doesn't seam to have any team that wants to step up and win consistently. That's why there isn't any body listed. There will be a good Region One tournament however I still think Oak Grove will prevail and repeat as champs of One. Region Eight ? No one standing out to me at this time. How are you guys thinking? Makes for good conversation.

I'll give you a teams body of work so far this year and you explain to me how they are not a top 15 team, if you just simply don't like the team, then just say that.

15-3 record, outscoring opponents by an average of 17
Beat Linton HMB on the road by 17
Beat Shiloh on a neutral court
3 losses all on the road by a combined 15 points.
Beat the number 3 team in South Dakota
Has one of the best scorers in North Dakota
Allows 48 points per contest

I am just curious how you don't think the team above is good

Teams HS grunt only likes teams from region 3

First of all its not that I'm a Region 3 Fan. I live in Bismarck and do get to see more games in this area. I did see the HS and the Shiloh game. A last second shot won the game. I have Shiloh 11th. Beat Linton the second night of the season with Linton missing kids. I went through that a while back. Six times in previous posts. HS lost three games in January to Regional opponents. One was to Beulah. I have them 15th so where do I put HS. They are good but I don't see them in the top two of Region Seven. They will be next year.
grunt4188
NDPreps Reserve

Postby grunt4188 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:48 pm

noles4ever wrote:Yeah, I don't really get the dropping out of North Star either, all 4 losses on the road, the hiccup against Harvey-WC maybe concerning but when Harvey is hitting their 3's they are tough, the Dunseith loss was at Dunseith and they will maybe rematch in the district, the other two are to rugby and four winds by 11 and 10. How do you drop that resume out of the top 15 but keep in a team they beat by 30 on the road. Pretty flawed, but who cares, just another poll that means nothing.
District girls has started and some are done, others finish monday, get out and take in some high intensity HS basketball, the next 5 weeks is what ND Class B Basketball is all about.

I'm new to posting in this site. However the short time I have, I noticed whenever you make a statement based on the knowledge you have on class B ball and don't mention somebody's favourite team you get jumped on like flies on ----. You guys should give your opinions about your favourite teams without the sarcastic remarks. You can't get good conversations going about teams because of it.
grunt4188
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Howie » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:18 am

Ok sir, here it is, you can take it for what it's worth. Linton had their big 3 when they played Hettinger Scranton. You can say what you want about Linton missing kids, but that didn't have a 17 point impact on the game. You Have said that HS lives and dies by the 3, I would love to know how many games you have seen them play. I don't believe for one second that you were at the mandan tournament championship game because you made so many false statements about the game in previous posts. Since you made your last poll here is what has happened. Hettinger Scranton beat your number 11 team in your first poll and beat the 16-0 number 3 ranked Faith Longhorns of SD and didn't crack your top 15. Ellendale lost to Linton and Carrington and stayed the same. Shiloh got drilled on the road and only fell 3 spots. Hankinson got beat twice and actually moved up in your rankings? Carrington has a 30 point loss in their last 5 games and is in your poll. Just my observation
Howie
NDPreps Starter

Postby grunt4188 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:38 am

Howie wrote:Ok sir, here it is, you can take it for what it's worth. Linton had their big 3 when they played Hettinger Scranton. You can say what you want about Linton missing kids, but that didn't have a 17 point impact on the game. You Have said that HS lives and dies by the 3, I would love to know how many games you have seen them play. I don't believe for one second that you were at the mandan tournament championship game because you made so many false statements about the game in previous posts. Since you made your last poll here is what has happened. Hettinger Scranton beat your number 11 team in your first poll and beat the 16-0 number 3 ranked Faith Longhorns of SD and didn't crack your top 15. Ellendale lost to Linton and Carrington and stayed the same. Shiloh got drilled on the road and only fell 3 spots. Hankinson got beat twice and actually moved up in your rankings? Carrington has a 30 point loss in their last 5 games and is in your poll. Just my observation

You are a example of what I was talking about in my last post. Cause your a HS fan you can't see any further then the outside of town. Second of all I don't know why I am responding to your post. I was at the game and I couldn't remember all the specific details about it in my previous posts since I wasn't that impressed. Third you call me a liar again u can go .......................
grunt4188
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:11 am

grunt4188 wrote:
Howie wrote:Ok sir, here it is, you can take it for what it's worth. Linton had their big 3 when they played Hettinger Scranton. You can say what you want about Linton missing kids, but that didn't have a 17 point impact on the game. You Have said that HS lives and dies by the 3, I would love to know how many games you have seen them play. I don't believe for one second that you were at the mandan tournament championship game because you made so many false statements about the game in previous posts. Since you made your last poll here is what has happened. Hettinger Scranton beat your number 11 team in your first poll and beat the 16-0 number 3 ranked Faith Longhorns of SD and didn't crack your top 15. Ellendale lost to Linton and Carrington and stayed the same. Shiloh got drilled on the road and only fell 3 spots. Hankinson got beat twice and actually moved up in your rankings? Carrington has a 30 point loss in their last 5 games and is in your poll. Just my observation

You are a example of what I was talking about in my last post. Cause your a HS fan you can't see any further then the outside of town. Second of all I don't know why I am responding to your post. I was at the game and I couldn't remember all the specific details about it in my previous posts since I wasn't that impressed. Third you call me a liar again u can go .......................

I'm not connected to H-S, I'm not even anywhere near them by location (Eastern ND follower) but have seen them play 3 times and guarantee you they are one of the top teams (15) in the State.

But like just about any "poll" or "ranking" there is personal bias in it...I tried my best to keep my own bias from my poll but sometimes that leads to the tiebreaking decision.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby nolan4 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:21 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
grunt4188 wrote:

I'm not connected to H-S, I'm not even anywhere near them by location (Eastern ND follower) but have seen them play 3 times and guarantee you they are one of the top teams (15) in the State.

But like just about any "poll" or "ranking" there is personal bias in it...I tried my best to keep my own bias from my poll but sometimes that leads to the tiebreaking decision.

Like you RUN, i know we all have our bias' , and I try to look outside myself to try to be as unbiased as possible, but it is so easy to be biased when you see some teams or areas more than others..........people just need to keep in mind that what other people write is an opinion, and just because someone doesnt agree with it, we can still be civil............I also just joined, and ready thru old post, i do see alot of animosity , and would have a feeling that is not good for the site.......not sure what can be done, since we(the site and its contributors) want as many people to come to the site to share their opinions and observations. I will be giving my Top 10 , later this week, but like everyone else , it will be an opinion, and based on observation and educated guesses :)............This site can be a great for multiple opinions, if we can just all get along :)
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby noles4ever » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:43 am

I guess i could have left out the "who cares" comment, but aside from that I didn't think I was being that sarcastic, just pointing out North Stars resume, isn't the purpose of internet talk forums to generate discussion and create interest in the topic of the forum.
Just checking.
And yes, I am a North Star Bearcat fan, however, am also a fan of Basketball in general and especially ND class B. Impossible to remove all bias in my opinion.
noles4ever
NDPreps Starter

Postby duh » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:02 am

I think shilo and linton play this week the top teams in there respective region who wins and why at linton I believe
duh
NDPreps Rookie

Postby nolan4 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:46 pm

noles4ever wrote:I guess i could have left out the "who cares" comment, but aside from that I didn't think I was being that sarcastic, just pointing out North Stars resume, isn't the purpose of internet talk forums to generate discussion and create interest in the topic of the forum.
Just checking.
And yes, I am a North Star Bearcat fan, however, am also a fan of Basketball in general and especially ND class B. Impossible to remove all bias in my opinion.

Hey Noles, i wasnt talking specifically to you, i just read thru alot of posts, and i see bickering back and forth instead of a good debate, there is a difference :)...........debate is showing respect but disagreeing with someone's opinion, bickering is not liking someone because of what they post if you(or anyone) disagree..........I know , i dont mind someone debating my opinion, cuz i know i am not the all knowing :), but i will defend my position if i think i am right , respectfully......or change my position if the other person can make a compelling argument or I just dont have as much knowledge about a particular topic :).........best time of the year is here!!! Lets have fun!!! :)
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby Pit Bull » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:17 pm

[quote="duh"]I think shilo and linton play this week the top teams in there respective region who wins and why at linton I believe[/quot

Linton has been on a roll and seems to be getting stronger as the season wears on. Shiloh has been inconsistent all year especially on the offensive side of the ball. If Shiloh can hold Linton to around 50 pts, they will have a shot.
Pit Bull
NDPreps Starter

Postby brucenies@yahoo.com » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:27 am

Here we go again howie with hettinger! Same ole story! Your the only one on that bandwagon. Without size they wont win that region live up to the fact! They do have 3 losses or are you too blind to notice!
brucenies@yahoo.com
NDPreps Reserve

Postby brucenies@yahoo.com » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:34 am

I think grunt4188 poll is pretty much spot on.
brucenies@yahoo.com
NDPreps Reserve

Postby balla45 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:58 am

brucenies@yahoo.com wrote:Here we go again howie with hettinger! Same ole story! Your the only one on that bandwagon. Without size they wont win that region live up to the fact! They do have 3 losses or are you too blind to notice!

I'm on the Hettinger-Scranton bandwagon.

Kludt has the rare ability to take a player completely out of that player's game with extreme ball pressure. As a group, their perimeter shooting is as good as it gets, and they have a stud that can light a team up for 30.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:50 pm

So brucenies@yahoo.com, recently Linton-HMB lost to Shiloh Christian. Recently, Hettinger-Scranton beat a very talented Faith, South Dakota squad. Does this count in Hettinger-Scranton's favor in Howie and I considering them to be better than Linton-HMB?
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby HammerTime » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:43 pm

noles4ever wrote:Isn't the purpose of internet talk forums to generate discussion and create interest in the topic of the forum?
Just checking.

THANK YOU, noles4ever! That was well put!
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:46 pm

Dickinson Trinity came from behind to defeat #1 Four Winds-Minnewaukan today 83-82 (down 36-47 at halftime). If Trinity is healthy (and I assume they are after today...the weren't early in the season) then they'll be another tough team in that stacked Region 7 to look out for.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Sticks11 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:54 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Dickinson Trinity came from behind to defeat #1 Four Winds-Minnewaukan today 83-82 (down 36-47 at halftime). If Trinity is healthy (and I assume they are after today...the weren't early in the season) then they'll be another tough team in that stacked Region 7 to look out for.

Where was this game played at? DT proved they can put points up. That should be an exciting region tourney.
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:09 pm

Sticks11 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:Dickinson Trinity came from behind to defeat #1 Four Winds-Minnewaukan today 83-82 (down 36-47 at halftime). If Trinity is healthy (and I assume they are after today...the weren't early in the season) then they'll be another tough team in that stacked Region 7 to look out for.

Where was this game played at? DT proved they can put points up. That should be an exciting region tourney.

Four Winds-Minnewaukan traveled to Shiloh on Friday and won 71-55 and then traveled to Dickinson Trinity and lost 82-83.

I still think FW-M is the team to beat in the State...however we've seen many times that a neutral court and the 'big stage' can change favorites.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:02 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Sticks11 wrote:

Four Winds-Minnewaukan traveled to Shiloh on Friday and won 71-55 and then traveled to Dickinson Trinity and lost 82-83.

I still think FW-M is the team to beat in the State...however we've seen many times that a neutral court and the 'big stage' can change favorites.

Could someone who attended these games (FW-M vs. Shiloh and DT) give us some details on the games?
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby sportsnut5 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:02 pm

Four Winds shot 63% for the game and 75% from the 3-point line with 12 total 3's and still didn't beat Trinity. Trinity was hitting on all cylinders. They hit shots and crashed the offensive boards effectively. Trinity will be tough to beat if they play like that the rest of the season. As entertaining as a high school game could be.
sportsnut5
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Boys