Which teams are the real deal this year?

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Which teams are the real deal this year?

Postby grunt4188 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:31 pm

End90 wrote:It seems as though "grunt" has thought this out and to say his rankings are "asinine" seems "asinine" to me. "Asinine" is defined as "stupid, unintelligent, silly." Some of his rankings may be debatable (but isn't that part of the reason for this website), but don't completely defy logic, nor "asinine."

Thanks for that. I can take the name calling. Its all in fun and I guess some people think the order of picks are way out in left field. Just like I think the sports writers who have been doing the polls this year have been. Case in point. Last nights poll. Can someone explain to me how Cavalier is still receiving votes. Were there kids missing when they got beat by Grafton within the last week or so? Central Cass who is no longer in the poll or receiving votes ,just went and beat Grafton. No Central Cass but there's Cavalier. Just wondering how they come up with what they do. I realize nobody's perfect and there are upsets after the poll comes out, but the scenario I mentioned happened prior to Mondays poll. Back to my earlier posts in which I stated somebody needs to do there homework. So go ahead and tell me where you think my rankings may be out of line. Makes for good conversation. And like you said that's what I thought this site is all about.
grunt4188
NDPreps Reserve

Postby balla45 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:51 pm

End90 wrote:It seems as though "grunt" has thought this out and to say his rankings are "asinine" seems "asinine" to me. "Asinine" is defined as "stupid, unintelligent, silly." Some of his rankings may be debatable (but isn't that part of the reason for this website), but don't completely defy logic, nor "asinine."

I think it is stupid, unintelligent, or silly to rank a team in the top 5 when that team has lost to a team that the individual compiling the rankings has not ranked in the top 15. Furthermore, that team not ranked in the top 15 has beat 2 teams ranked in that individual's top 10. Shiloh lost to Flasher, and Hettinger beat Flasher by 25, yet Shiloh is better than Hettinger, who Shiloh lost to. I don't see how this is a logical or intelligent line of thinking.

My very general argument here. If I beat you in a game of 1 on 1 by 2, and we both play the same person and you lose and I win by 15, I am better than you in 1 on 1.

Even the injury thing makes little sense to me. Just as an example, since returning from his shoulder injury Jones is averaging 13.5 points per game and has hit 6 threes. Does that change how the game with Linton plays out? Quite possibly. Reality, however, dictates that Linton beat Dickinson Trinity, not what could have happened if different people were playing. I am saying this as a person that was actually at that game by the way, and was actually there when Shiloh played Hettinger, and has watched Shiloh play on several occasions. Also, not to say that Shiloh is not a solid defensive team, but when playing a common opponent with Hettinger, for example, Hettinger was able to bottle up Gabrielson and Shiloh was not.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:00 pm

sportsfan25 wrote:Just for the sake of adding to the argument, you could check out classbbasketball.com. It has the RPI and "Craig's Computer" rankings of all the teams. Not that it is perfect (nothing is!), but it is at least some sort of mathematical formula for ranking the teams; not just personal opinion.

Also, as the "what region is strongest" debate, the bottom of the page has the RPI strength of each region. As of now, what people have said about some being weaker than others seems to be true, according to RPI strength anyway.

Just more fun stuff to debate.

I can add another ranking soon that I've developed that includes out of state games.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby grunt4188 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:52 pm

balla45 wrote:

I think it is stupid, unintelligent, or silly to rank a team in the top 5 when that team has lost to a team that the individual compiling the rankings has not ranked in the top 15. Furthermore, that team not ranked in the top 15 has beat 2 teams ranked in that individual's top 10. Shiloh lost to Flasher, and Hettinger beat Flasher by 25, yet Shiloh is better than Hettinger, who Shiloh lost to. I don't see how this is a logical or intelligent line of thinking.

My very general argument here. If I beat you in a game of 1 on 1 by 2, and we both play the same person and you lose and I win by 15, I am better than you in 1 on 1.

Even the injury thing makes little sense to me. Just as an example, since returning from his shoulder injury Jones is averaging 13.5 points per game and has hit 6 threes. Does that change how the game with Linton plays out? Quite possibly. Reality, however, dictates that Linton beat Dickinson Trinity, not what could have happened if different people were playing. I am saying this as a person that was actually at that game by the way, and was actually there when Shiloh played Hettinger, and has watched Shiloh play on several occasions. Also, not to say that Shiloh is not a solid defensive team, but when playing a common opponent with Hettinger, for example, Hettinger was able to bottle up Gabrielson and Shiloh was not.

The games you keep mentioning were early in the season. It was the second game of the season for Linton. The Hettinger and Shiloh game was played during the Mandan Holliday Tournament. Early in the season. Yes Shiloh did lose to Flasher but it probably won't happen again this year. Even your good teams have a off night. Teams improve as the season progresses. Especially teams like Shiloh and Linton with the great coaching they have. Odds are they will both be right there come regional time. As for my poll it was based on how I see the strengths of each team yesterday, not at Christmas time. Since Hettinger has beaten Linton and Shiloh they have also lost three. Hettinger has a good team and there time will come. So lets quit the Hettinger topic. If you disagree, say so without the adjectives. However like I said in a earlier post I can take it.
grunt4188
NDPreps Reserve

Postby jimor » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:49 pm

Berthold 60 Our Redeemers 59 in a nail biter.
jimor
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:43 pm

I will keep mentioning games that happened. Whether or not you like it, when you lose to a team by 17 on your home floor, you are not significantly better than the team you lost to.

I would not be shocked if Shiloh lost to Flasher again. Shiloh has 2 players who can consistently score, and one of those two is fairly ineffective against the 2-3. Match ups matter a bit in basketball.

I agree that Carr and Dwyer are very talented coaches, but there are several talented coaches out there. I feel that you are forgetting that.

I simply used those adjectives as End90 seemed to feel that I should explain why I felt your original comment was asinine.

Also, is Berthold not overrated now since they won? Had they lost by 1 instead, would they be overrated?
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Broncos811 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:47 pm

jimor wrote:Berthold 60 Our Redeemers 59 in a nail biter.

You can say that again. I've become a bit of an Our Redeemer's fan after seeing them in the Shiloh tourney and with all the Berthold talk I went to the game.
First quarter Berthold owned. No question. Second third, and most of the fourth were controlled by Our Redeemer's. The tempo, the momentum, the score. Last seconds were all Berthold needed. Deep three by Lee, forced some turn overs, and a game winning and one from Hamilton I believe.
Says a few things about Berthold. Do they deserve 5 when the 8 controlled the game? Berthold has more than just Lee who was held to 23. And for being undersized, Hennessy held his own against 6'8 and 6'6 (even though the 6'6 kid had a couple nice dunks, very important for ORCS momentum)
I think it proved Berthold is the real deal. But so is Minot Our Redeemer's. If I were Rugby I'd be a little nervous come regionals
Broncos811
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:10 am

Upset tonight

Dunseith DEF. #4 North Star 72-64
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby HammerTime » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:19 am

Broncos811 wrote: If I were Rugby I'd be a little nervous come regionals

Of Course, Rugby should be nervous. Region 6 isn't the cupcake region most of us thought it would be at the beginning of the season. The simple fact is, after ending Berthold's undefeated streak, on a neutral floor, like the tournaments would be, Rugby still has that edge. They have the confidence of already beating Berthold. And then after Berthold went to ORCS' home court and came up with a win, albeit a close and really lucky one, Rugby has a greater advantage. And Berthold has one major key player. If Austin Lee goes down or gets shut down by a tough defense, they are kind of screwed. Rugby on the other hand has potential scorers coming off their bench. Trevor Longie, Ryan Michaels, Hunter Hager and and Anders Johnson all see minutes in the first half and play a lot in the second and are decent scorers. Longie has had two games where he has outscored Tanner, Nolan and Eric. Plus, Rugby has a really tough remaining schedule (Four Winds and Bishop Ryan anyone?) so they'll be better tested to handle teams I their own region. Sure, Rugby should watch out and play every game balls to the wall. But ORCS and Berthold have a lot of ground to make up if they want that trip to Bismarck.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby vikingman » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:54 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Upset tonight

North Star was missing another starter in this game (besides Weston). Hunt is not a big scorer, but we're pretty much down to 6 people now. (at least that's one more than last year).
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sticks11 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:15 am

HammerTime wrote:

Of Course, Rugby should be nervous. Region 6 isn't the cupcake region most of us thought it would be at the beginning of the season. The simple fact is, after ending Berthold's undefeated streak, on a neutral floor, like the tournaments would be, Rugby still has that edge. They have the confidence of already beating Berthold. And then after Berthold went to ORCS' home court and came up with a win, albeit a close and really lucky one, Rugby has a greater advantage. And Berthold has one major key player. If Austin Lee goes down or gets shut down by a tough defense, they are kind of screwed. Rugby on the other hand has potential scorers coming off their bench. Trevor Longie, Ryan Michaels, Hunter Hager and and Anders Johnson all see minutes in the first half and play a lot in the second and are decent scorers. Longie has had two games where he has outscored Tanner, Nolan and Eric. Plus, Rugby has a really tough remaining schedule (Four Winds and Bishop Ryan anyone?) so they'll be better tested to handle teams I their own region. Sure, Rugby should watch out and play every game balls to the wall. But ORCS and Berthold have a lot of ground to make up if they want that trip to Bismarck.

I really doubt anyone in the Rugby program was thinking they were just going to walk all over this region. Regardless what it looked like before the season started, there are quality teams. I think Berthold and ORCS have proved that. There's always the chance for a big upset, too, for any team. Gotta bring it every night. I think it will be a good tournament to watch!

What happened to Matthew Hunt?
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby 4mrnative » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:16 am

vikingman wrote:

North Star was missing another starter in this game (besides Weston). Hunt is not a big scorer, but we're pretty much down to 6 people now. (at least that's one more than last year).

I was a little worried for the Bearcats regarding this one. Dunseith has a very capable ball club this year and is a tough game at home. I've been mildly surprised by a couple of their losses. Matthew brings a nice defensive and blue collar work ethic to the NS team. Hope he's just under the weather and not down for the count. They could use a little good fortune to close out their season on the health side of the equation.
4mrnative
NDPreps Starter

Postby hsfootballfan » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:58 am

HammerTime wrote:

Berthold and ORCS are closer to Rugby than you think. Rugby pry is better. But not by the gap that you make it sound. Rugby be better tested by playing Four Winds and Bishop Ryan? Really!!? Berthold has just come off a stretch of 3 games in 5 days. Ryan, Rugby and ORCS. I would think they would be equally tested. I can hear you say it already, well, we have to play the number 1 team in the state. Well, Berthold just played the number 2 team in the state.
hsfootballfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:37 am

I like this....this is the type of year that is shaking down in Class B
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby justplayalready » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:58 am

Broncos811 wrote:
jimor wrote:Berthold 60 Our Redeemers 59 in a nail biter.

You can say that again. I've become a bit of an Our Redeemer's fan after seeing them in the Shiloh tourney and with all the Berthold talk I went to the game.
First quarter Berthold owned. No question. Second third, and most of the fourth were controlled by Our Redeemer's. The tempo, the momentum, the score. Last seconds were all Berthold needed. Deep three by Lee, forced some turn overs, and a game winning and one from Hamilton I believe.
Says a few things about Berthold. Do they deserve 5 when the 8 controlled the game? Berthold has more than just Lee who was held to 23. And for being undersized, Hennessy held his own against 6'8 and 6'6 (even though the 6'6 kid had a couple nice dunks, very important for ORCS momentum)
I think it proved Berthold is the real deal. But so is Minot Our Redeemer's. If I were Rugby I'd be a little nervous come regionals

Rugby would still be fave in R6, but it's a lot closer than the pre-season belief that they were untouchable in 6, Both Minot OR and Berthold could knock them off...On paper I'd put Minot OR #2 in region, but they don't have the big game experience. Last nights Minot/Berthold game was big, but again it was on Minot's court and they gave it away down the stretch, and they didn't show anything that would make me think they could keep it together on a consistent basis in a bigger game(R semi or final) to get by Rugby. That being said they also have the higher ceiling to improve these mistakes, but with the separation of talent in the Region, shouldn't be tested until district final, as I don't see they remaining games against D11 teams being a test...Berthold is a different monster with Lee, as they will never be out of the game, and he has had some big game experience. I'd say Berthold would be more likely than Minot to beat Rugby as they can stay with them on neutral court and have the Lee factor, not as high of ceiling as Minot but higher floor to keep game closer.
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby brucenies@yahoo.com » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:11 pm

Ok balla 45 lets set the record straight. First off your still bregging on hettingers fluke win over linton in what week 2 minus 4 linton players that are instrumental to lintons success. Linton will win that region! Hettinger might be lucky enough to make it to the semis in theirs. Linton has beaten washburn, strausburg, and central cass as if late! Hettinger has lost to trinity, beulah, and new england in the month of january. Last night they beat a respectable heart river team, congrads! 1 out of 4 isnt bad! If your going to talk the talk then walk the walk!!!
brucenies@yahoo.com
NDPreps Reserve

Postby brucenies@yahoo.com » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:16 pm

Also until somebody beats rugby in their dont start the talk that they will lose in regionals. Rugby was 2nd in state last year and they didnt lose much. Theyll be their. Their schedule has been the toughest out of that region and still they have the regions best record! Once again talk the talk only when you walk the walk!!
brucenies@yahoo.com
NDPreps Reserve

Postby brucenies@yahoo.com » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:26 pm

hsfootballfan wrote:
HammerTime wrote:

Of Course, Rugby should be nervous. Region 6 isn't the cupcake region most of us thought it would and lost!be at the beginning of the season. The simple fact is, after ending Berthold's undefeated streak, on a neutral floor, like the tournaments would be, Rugby still has that edge. They have the confidence of already beating Berthold. And then after Berthold went to ORCS' home court and came up with a win, albeit a close and really lucky one, Rugby has a greater advantage. And Berthold has one major key player. If Austin Lee goes down or gets shut down by a tough defense, they are kind of screwed. Rugby on the other hand has potential scorers coming off their bench. Trevor Longie, Ryan Michaels, Hunter Hager and and Anders Johnson all see minutes in the first half and play a lot in the second and are decent scorers. Longie has had two games where he has outscored Tanner, Nolan and Eric. Plus, Rugby has a really tough remaining schedule (Four Winds and Bishop Ryan anyone?) so they'll be better tested to handle teams I their own region. Sure, Rugby should watch out and play every game balls to the wall. But ORCS and Berthold have a lot of ground to make up if they want that trip to Bismarck.

Berthold and ORCS are closer to Rugby than you think. Rugby pry is better. But not by the gap that you make it sound. Rugby be better tested by playing Four Winds and Bishop Ryan? Really!!? Berthold has just come off a stretch of 3 games in 5 days. Ryan, Rugby and ORCS. I would think they would be equally tested. I can hear you say it already, well, we have to play the number 1 team in the state. Well, Berthold just played the number 2 team in the state.
brucenies@yahoo.com
NDPreps Reserve

Postby brucenies@yahoo.com » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:27 pm

And lost!!!
brucenies@yahoo.com
NDPreps Reserve

Postby EHS1998 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:28 pm

brucenies@yahoo.com wrote:And lost!!!

Dude. Give it a rest already.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby q » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:32 pm

brucenies@yahoo.com wrote:Ok balla 45 lets set the record straight. First off your still bregging on hettingers fluke win over linton in what week 2 minus 4 linton players that are instrumental to lintons success. Linton will win that region! Hettinger might be lucky enough to make it to the semis in theirs. Linton has beaten washburn, strausburg, and central cass as if late! Hettinger has lost to trinity, beulah, and new england in the month of january. Last night they beat a respectable heart river team, congrads! 1 out of 4 isnt bad! If your going to talk the talk then walk the walk!!!

If L-HMB gets to state, it's because they'll have an easier path to get there. That's part of the reason they make it to state as often as they do.
q -- the only letter that does not appear in any US state name
q
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:48 pm

q wrote:
brucenies@yahoo.com wrote:Ok balla 45 lets set the record straight. First off your still bregging on hettingers fluke win over linton in what week 2 minus 4 linton players that are instrumental to lintons success. Linton will win that region! Hettinger might be lucky enough to make it to the semis in theirs. Linton has beaten washburn, strausburg, and central cass as if late! Hettinger has lost to trinity, beulah, and new england in the month of january. Last night they beat a respectable heart river team, congrads! 1 out of 4 isnt bad! If your going to talk the talk then walk the walk!!!

If L-HMB gets to state, it's because they'll have an easier path to get there. That's part of the reason they make it to state as often as they do.

Region 3 is no slouch this year!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby 4mrnative » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:49 pm

So I've seen it posted that participation and readership are a bit down on this site. Given some of the dripping vitriol and arrogant posturing that I read, it's fairly easy to understand why. If you're a fan/patron of a team, represent that position with some pride and dignity in a way that the teams and coaches you puport to honor wouldn't be ashamed to read. I think our momma's all taught us better...rant out...
4mrnative
NDPreps Starter

Postby EHS1998 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:02 pm

4mrnative wrote:So I've seen it posted that participation and readership are a bit down on this site. Given some of the dripping vitriol and arrogant posturing that I read, it's fairly easy to understand why. If you're a fan/patron of a team, represent that position with some pride and dignity in a way that the teams and coaches you puport to honor wouldn't be ashamed to read. I think our momma's all taught us better...rant out...

Well said.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby grunt4188 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:32 pm

q wrote:

I have to disagree with you. Linton's path to state isn't any easier then any other region. They have to win three games in the regional like all the rest of the regions do.. However I did some research to how many appearances teams have made in the last 20 years.

Trinity 9
Shiloh 9
Linton 8

I don't believe it was because those teams had weak regions or easier paths. I believe its because of good coaching and programs they have implemented. Grinsteiner 20 years @ Trinity, Dwyer 22 years @ Shiloh & Carr 35 years @ Linton. Keeping good coaches that have time to develop quality programs are why schools have success and reach the state tournament as often as they do.
grunt4188
NDPreps Reserve

PreviousNext

Return to Boys