#4 North Star vs #3 Rugby

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

#4 North Star vs #3 Rugby

Postby Sticks11 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:33 am

How's this one play out? It should be a good game. Heard last night that Zach Miller is out for a few weeks because of an appendectomy. These two teams always seem like they play each other tough.
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Re: #4 North Star vs #3 Rugby

Postby uspsrt » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:42 am

Sticks11 wrote:How's this one play out? It should be a good game. Heard last night that Zach Miller is out for a few weeks because of an appendectomy. These two teams always seem like they play each other tough.

I went to Rugby's game last night against WN and yes Miller is out for awhile. It should kind of balance out as Weston isn't due back until about tournament time from what I've heard. Maybe someone else has more info on that. I don't make predictions but have seen both teams and hopefully it will be a good game. Rugby plays a lot of kids, but it looks to me like they are struggling (defensively and in ball handling) to find replacements for the two starters that they lost from last years team. On paper at least it should be a good one.
uspsrt
NDPreps Reserve

Postby EHS1998 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:02 pm

Awesome to hear about Weston!
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:17 pm

Before the Ramsey Co championship I would've said Rugby by 15, but North Star really gave FWM a run. I think it goes right down to the wire either way with Miller out.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby justplayalready » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:32 pm

Depends on how its called...interested to see if Kvilvang and Heidlebaugh match-up.

If it's loosely called I don't see Kvilvang wanting to deal with Heidlebaugh's creating space with contact...Rugby will open it up and if the shooters get the home touch, I'd say Rugby by 20-25...

If Heidlebaugh gets a few touch fouls early, Kvilvang should get space to work and it should be a closer game. NS guards are young but experienced, and Rugby's perimeter defense is suspect if Heidlebaugh is forced to stay down with Kvilvang
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby HighPlainsDrifter » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:52 pm

Rugby leads 20-18 at the half.

End of third: NS up 36-35

Rugby took Kvilvang out of the game and no one else could score. Plus, they couldn't stop Heidelbaugh.

Final: 52-41 Rugby
HighPlainsDrifter
NDPreps Starter

Postby vikingman » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:23 pm

It was obvious that losing Weston would hurt the NS offense, but I don't think anyone foresaw that the offense would being as scoring-challenged as it has proved to be so far this year. It's been a long time since we've had a shooting percentage as poor as this. At least when Weston comes back, it will force opponents to play a completely different defense than what they can do right now, it should open things up a LOT when that happens.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby hoops247 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:02 pm

Both teams have a lot of things they can look back at and know they could do a better job of after tonight's game.

I was very impressed with how well Hovland defended Kvilvang. He did get help, but I thought he really worked hard and made it difficult for Kvilvang to get any good looks.

It really would have be fun to watch these teams play at full strength. Hopefully they both have everyone back soon.
hoops247
NDPreps Starter

Postby thundarsdaddy » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:38 pm

I agree with what hoops247 said, especially about Hovland guarding Kvilvang all night.

I certainly hope North Star shoots the ball better than they did last night it was horrible shooting with a lot of good looks.

I'm sure when Weston returns they are a whole different team once he gets his basketball legs under him and the rust off.

RHS played very mediocre and no matter when Miller returns, they have many things to work on, but the Team concept that has carried this program the last 2+ years, in certainly different now,as players dont look for each other and its noticable. But then, as some pointed out already, RHS really hasnt replaced the strong frontcourt play they have had the previous two seasons.
Last noteworthy thing is this, similar to in last years state Tournament, where Rugby almost"shot" themselves out of every game by taking way too many 3's and making very few?
Well last night they did it again...and when they do that they let average defense squads guard them as a team. RHS needs to penetrate, or get theball into a post, high or low, and maybe then, if there is a kickout pass to the perimeter, THEN they can take the three...otherwise Rugby forces it way to much and that is the Achilles heel of this team.
Heidelbaugh can only carry a team so far, as he did last night, but many times he ended up going one-on-one, one-on-two or one-on-three...if this doesnt improve by Regionals??
thundarsdaddy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby packers21 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:07 pm

Hovland was assigned to Kvilvang but it was hardly him that guarded him the entire game. It was a complete team effort defensively something Rugby should be pretty happy with. They dared the other guys to beat them and got away with it. I have seen Sears, Komrosky and Heisler (besides the 3rd) and even Hunt play and shoot better than that. Heidelbaugh should always take anyone one-on-one anytime he gets the chance, he completely took over that game, dominated the boards and scored at will. Think he has 17 straight team points at one time.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby hoops247 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:37 pm

I respect everyone's opinion, but to under-play the effort Hovland gave last night is unfortunate. NO ONE is going to hold down an all-state player on their own. Also Rugby did play some zone, which they rarely do, so obviously others were involved in keeping Kvilvang under his average.
Last edited by hoops247 on Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
hoops247
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:31 pm

so I mean it could actually happen that neither of these 2 teams make it to the State Class B tourn?

both being a severely tough out @ regions though??
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby 4mrnative » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:00 pm

LOL...winner...be nice...
4mrnative
NDPreps Starter

Postby HighPlainsDrifter » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:21 pm

winner-within wrote:so I mean it could actually happen that neither of these 2 teams make it to the State Class B tourn?

NS is certainly going to have to improve a lot to beat FW/M.
HighPlainsDrifter
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sticks11 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:23 pm

winner-within wrote:so I mean it could actually happen that neither of these 2 teams make it to the State Class B tourn?

"I'm picking up your sarcasm." "Well I should hope so, cuz I'm laying it on pretty thick."
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby vikingman » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:43 pm

I don't see the remark on NS having to improve a lot -- They lost to two top ten teams by an average of 11 pts, without one of the best players in the state on the floor. Having Weston would totally change our offense, defense and rebounding capabilities. When (if) he comes back, that will be worth more than 10 pts per game if he can play close to 100%.

And tonight we beat a top 10 team without having Weston. We remain a low-scoring team, but those 3 top-ten teams averaged only 53 pts against us, so we must be doing something right.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby HighPlainsDrifter » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:10 pm

vikingman wrote:I don't see the remark on NS having to improve a lot -- They lost to two top ten teams by an average of 11 pts, without one of the best players in the state on the floor. Having Weston would totally change our offense, defense and rebounding capabilities. When (if) he comes back, that will be worth more than 10 pts per game if he can play close to 100%.

And tonight we beat a top 10 team without having Weston. We remain a low-scoring team, but those 3 top-ten teams averaged only 53 pts against us, so we must be doing something right.

Please don't take my comment as a dig at NS. I'm a NS fan, but from afar, so I don't get to see live action much. I did see the 2nd half of the Rugby game, and what I saw in the 4th quarter was not pretty. Rugby pretty much took Kvilvang out of the game, and dared the others to shoot. Heisler made them pay in the 3rd, but some of the bit players couldn't make uncontested 10-12 ft shots. That's what has to improve. Also, I made my comment assuming Weston WON'T be back. Certainly, that would change the equation. But you can only play the games with the players you have, not the ones you wished you had. Do I think the current roster can play with FW/M? Sure, they proved they could stay within 10 of them. Do I think they can beat FW/M on any given night? Not without some improvement.
HighPlainsDrifter
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:46 pm

I would say after watching NS in Cavalier that their biggest deal will be getting the shots to drop....many open looks that didn't fall....they would have won big had the ball fell through the hoop...shooting percentage had to be below 40% (guess)

Cavalier didn't get as many shots off I would say, yet had a few that didn't fall also...the 2 teams IMO on a night where they are both clicking later in the season would be pretty even steven .going to be a fun finish this year in Class B....and yes with Weston playing I would have to say NS would be dangerous
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Return to Boys