Eureka!

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Eureka!

Postby east sider » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:42 pm

I feel like I may have come with the hidden ingredient to make the 3 Class system work immediately. I'll give Heimer his due and post his 16 teams he projected in the middle class:

Central Cass
Grafton
Valley City
Wahpeton
Devils Lake
Shanley
St Marys
Watford City
Fargo Oak Grove
Minot Our Redeemers
Dickinson Trinity
Trinity Christian
Minot Ryan
Shiloh Christian
Beulah
Hazen

Of course teams may have the option of moving up, so it may not completely accurate. Either way I found this class way too "light", if you will. This isn't football, we need more teams participating. So how can we accomplish this?

Let's bring in Class A JV! "A" JV has been playing Class B for years anyway. Nobody can cry about the competition being unfair. It allows for some exposure between the classes where some "A" fans would get to see some really talented "B" players, and "B" fans would get to see some up and coming "A" studs. There would be instant classic games almost every year, it would probably be bigger than Class B. Imagine some B player down the road talking about how they beat "Future Class A stud" when he was a Sophomore.

I doubt this will ever happen, but I still thought it was great idea. Thoughts?
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Re: Eureka!

Postby HammerTime » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:28 am

Seems like a great idea except for the fact it would cost a heck of a lot more on the A schools to fund two teams, and it completely defeats the purpose of why we want a third class. We don't like big schools "taking opportunities" away from the small schools. So adding the A JVs does exactly that. Kids who have waited until their Senior and Junior years to play ball suddenly lose a chance (notice I said CHANCE. I'm not saying let them all into the state tourney.I don't support participation ribbons. Never have, Never will.) to play at State to a team made of Sophomores and Freshmen. And then these kids who played A JV will get another chance, but the B kids won't. That seems like your rewarding a family for living in the right town. We already see enough of that. Don't encourage that.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby east sider » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:18 am

Not following you on increased costs for "A"', they already have JV.
Second, the whole middle class is designed for the big B schools, which most of should not have an issue with Another teams JV.
Third, let's just say it's this or nothing. Which would you rather have?
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby HammerTime » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:21 pm

east sider wrote:Not following you on increased costs for "A"', they already have JV.
Second, the whole middle class is designed for the big B schools, which most of should not have an issue with Another teams JV.
Third, let's just say it's this or nothing. Which would you rather have?

You just proved my point! The middle class is designed for the big B schools so they don't take opportunities from the small schools. By saying to the A JVs that they can go to state, all that does is take the problem and change the names and faces. It defeats the whole purpose of why we would do that in the first place. And what I meant by added cost was the fact that now you say to the A schools now they have to pay for 2 (girls and boys) more teams to play in the postseason. Pay for more travel, because now they can't just play teams in their area, they have to play teams in their region, which could be really far away. They'd now fit into a defined region. If it were this or no change at all, I'd hope for no change at all.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby go maji » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:04 pm

east sider wrote:I feel like I may have come with the hidden ingredient to make the 3 Class system work immediately. I'll give Heimer his due and post his 16 teams he projected in the middle class:

Central Cass
Grafton
Valley City
Wahpeton
Devils Lake
Shanley
St Marys
Watford City
Fargo Oak Grove
Minot Our Redeemers
Dickinson Trinity
Trinity Christian
Minot Ryan
Shiloh Christian
Beulah
Hazen

Of course teams may have the option of moving up, so it may not completely accurate. Either way I found this class way too "light", if you will. This isn't football, we need more teams participating. So how can we accomplish this?

Let's bring in Class A JV! "A" JV has been playing Class B for years anyway. Nobody can cry about the competition being unfair. It allows for some exposure between the classes where some "A" fans would get to see some really talented "B" players, and "B" fans would get to see some up and coming "A" studs. There would be instant classic games almost every year, it would probably be bigger than Class B. Imagine some B player down the road talking about how they beat "Future Class A stud" when he was a Sophomore.

You realize some class "A" players play on JV AND varsity, right? They can't be in two places at once.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby east sider » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:44 pm

go maji wrote:
east sider wrote:I feel like I may have come with the hidden ingredient to make the 3 Class system work immediately. I'll give Heimer his due and post his 16 teams he projected in the middle class:

Central Cass
Grafton
Valley City
Wahpeton
Devils Lake
Shanley
St Marys
Watford City
Fargo Oak Grove
Minot Our Redeemers
Dickinson Trinity
Trinity Christian
Minot Ryan
Shiloh Christian
Beulah
Hazen

You realize some class "A" players play on JV AND varsity, right? They can't be in two places at once.

It's definitely an issue, not sure how it would be handled. I suppose depends on the individual player and program.
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indy5 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:00 pm

If you wanted to go this route, I'd say it'd have to be freshmen and sophmores on the class A schools. Basically what their current "Sophomore A" teams are. It's not the worst idea in the world. Legion baseball used to do this and I really liked it in that setup, and don't think they ever should have changed it. This would certainly be a radical change, but once people got used to it, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Not saying it should happen, I'm just saying there are positives.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby east sider » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:04 pm

Indy5 wrote:If you wanted to go this route, I'd say it'd have to be freshmen and sophmores on the class A schools. Basically what their current "Sophomore A" teams are. It's not the worst idea in the world. Legion baseball used to do this and I really liked it in that setup, and don't think they ever should have changed it. This would certainly be a radical change, but once people got used to it, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Not saying it should happen, I'm just saying there are positives.

Thanks, I guess? Obviously not as good of an idea as I thought it would be :D . I didn't know that about Legion Baseball, how long ago did they do that?
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indy5 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:51 pm

east sider wrote:
Indy5 wrote:If you wanted to go this route, I'd say it'd have to be freshmen and sophmores on the class A schools. Basically what their current "Sophomore A" teams are. It's not the worst idea in the world. Legion baseball used to do this and I really liked it in that setup, and don't think they ever should have changed it. This would certainly be a radical change, but once people got used to it, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Not saying it should happen, I'm just saying there are positives.

Thanks, I guess? Obviously not as good of an idea as I thought it would be :D . I didn't know that about Legion Baseball, how long ago did they do that?

They changed it I think 4 years ago. The "junior legion" teams from class A towns (aka 16 yr olds) would just place class B legion. It added nice competition and it was actually pretty rare that the A junior legion team actually made state. Now they just have their own league.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Return to Boys