Possible Surprise Teams

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Possible Surprise Teams

Postby RedDirtFan » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:57 am

Who are some teams in your area who could suprise and be better than expected?

I'll take Region 2:

This is a long shot, but if Valley/Edinburg can get decent play out of the players surrounding Phelps and Larson, two of the best players in the region, they could develop into a very good team.

A more likely surprise team is PRFL--they have several very good players in Johnson, Rehovsky, Dobmeier, and Beneda. I think their varied skillsets, along with how hard they play, could make them into an early surprise team. As a matter of fact--if districts were still intact, I'd predict them to win District 4. What might prove to be a downside is I don't know if their best 5 players will see the 5 highest minute totals, which is something that held them down, last season.

Overall, I think certain teams get overlooked early in each season due to the results of the prior year. Feel free to comment on my post and/or list other teams
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Re: Possible Surprise Teams

Postby EHS1998 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:31 am

Region 3 (Just taking a stab, welcome input from others.)

Taking into account that everyone seems to think the region favorites are Linton HMB, Lamoure LM and Oakes.

Potential Surprise teams: (really could list all of the remaining teams in the region as there is a lot of balance but I have limited based on what I know today.)

Kidder County - New coach and they lost a heck of an up and coming player in Symens but senior dominated team with good leadership. I could see Sand and crew making some noise.

Strasburg Zeeland - They have one of the top players in the region in Niewsma with some very good guys next to him in Eberle, Huizenga and other nice pieces. Also as good of a coach as you will find. Do not sleep on the Clippers, I think they could be a sleeping giant.

Edgely Kulm Montpelier - Another team that is coached really well. Very good junior class with a great all around player in Entzi, very tough, sharp shooting guard in Zahn, a do it all type in Knutson and a slasher in Foley. Add to this group a couple of talented seniors in Miller and Harr, plus Harr's little brother and others. This could be a tough group night in and night out. Teams may underestimate them, to their peril.

South Border - Hunter Pinke will give them a chance, every night.

Ellendale - They lost 5 seniors who will need to be replaced but I think that if they get some chemistry with some pretty solid guys coming back and some talented guys getting deeper into the mix, they could surprise. Coach Vance is very underrated as a coach, he will get the most of this group.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sniper » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:23 pm

Region 5:

Standing Rock- Did not win a game last year but could be a top four team in the region this year. Iron Shield did not play last year and as far as I know, he is playing this year. Their season will depend on who is playing and who is not. Could be really good or really bad again.

Washburn- Good group of young athletic kids returning. Could make a good run around tourney time. I am expecting them to be one of the best defensive teams in the region.
Sniper
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:06 pm

RedDirtFan wrote:Who are some teams in your area who could suprise and be better than expected?

I'll take Region 2:

This is a long shot, but if Valley/Edinburg can get decent play out of the players surrounding Phelps and Larson, two of the best players in the region, they could develop into a very good team.

A more likely surprise team is PRFL--they have several very good players in Johnson, Rehovsky, Dobmeier, and Beneda. I think their varied skillsets, along with how hard they play, could make them into an early surprise team. As a matter of fact--if districts were still intact, I'd predict them to win District 4. What might prove to be a downside is I don't know if their best 5 players will see the 5 highest minute totals, which is something that held them down, last season.

Overall, I think certain teams get overlooked early in each season due to the results of the prior year. Feel free to comment on my post and/or list other teams

I dont see DVE winning more than 6-7 games which would dbl last years total, but they just dont have much else besides those two.

I wouldn't consider PRFL a surprise team based soley on the fact, I expect them to be very good. Hoopster had them 4th in the Region, I expect them to be a top 4 team.

Region 2 this year has atleast 7 teams who could win it if they put together 3 good games at the end of the year, this is probably the most balanced I can ever remember the Region.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby RedDirtFan » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:52 pm

packers21 wrote:
RedDirtFan wrote:Who are some teams in your area who could suprise and be better than expected?

I'll take Region 2:

I dont see DVE winning more than 6-7 games which would dbl last years total, but they just dont have much else besides those two.

I wouldn't consider PRFL a surprise team based soley on the fact, I expect them to be very good. Hoopster had them 4th in the Region, I expect them to be a top 4 team.

Region 2 this year has atleast 7 teams who could win it if they put together 3 good games at the end of the year, this is probably the most balanced I can ever remember the Region.

Phelps and Larson are so good that I think they'll make it easier for their teammates. At the very least, I think they'll get some upsets.

As for PRFL, it'll come down to the right combinations of players. The 4 players I mentioned are so different from each other, it's crazy. Rehovsky, if his shot falls with more consistency, could have a great year. Johnson will score a ton of points. Beneda makes a lot of splash plays due to his aggressiveness. I'd argue that Dobmeier is the best rebounder and post defender in the region.

It's going to come down to the right groupings and staying out of foul trouble, for them.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:21 pm

RedDirtFan wrote:
packers21 wrote:

I'll take Region 2:

Phelps and Larson are so good that I think they'll make it easier for their teammates. At the very least, I think they'll get some upsets.

As for PRFL, it'll come down to the right combinations of players. The 4 players I mentioned are so different from each other, it's crazy. Rehovsky, if his shot falls with more consistency, could have a great year. Johnson will score a ton of points. Beneda makes a lot of splash plays due to his aggressiveness. I'd argue that Dobmeier is the best rebounder and post defender in the region.

It's going to come down to the right groupings and staying out of foul trouble, for them.

Ya, Maybe DVE could pull a upset on someone who doest have much for a inside game and wont press them. They are just so weak at the guard position that teams that apply pressure will cause a lot of problems.

Like I said I agree with you on PRFL, they will be tough along with about 6 other teams in the region.

I think a team that might surprise ppl from D4 would be Griggs CC, I also think that Grafton could pull a upset or two over a couple top teams in Grafton.

IMO H/VC, Larimore, H/N, PRFL, Cav, GCC and MPCG could win the region if they get hot at the right time.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby RedDirtFan » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:59 pm

packers21 wrote:
RedDirtFan wrote:
packers21 wrote:

I'll take Region 2:

Ya, Maybe DVE could pull a upset on someone who doest have much for a inside game and wont press them. They are just so weak at the guard position that teams that apply pressure will cause a lot of problems.

Like I said I agree with you on PRFL, they will be tough along with about 6 other teams in the region.

I think a team that might surprise ppl from D4 would be Griggs CC, I also think that Grafton could pull a upset or two over a couple top teams in Grafton.

IMO H/VC, Larimore, H/N, PRFL, Cav, GCC and MPCG could win the region if they get hot at the right time.

I gotcha. I didn't mean to sound like I was arguing. Glad to know someone else sees the same potential in them.

I think Region 2 will come down to who adjusts best to losing key players.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby woodchuck10 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:53 pm

In District 8 I think that the biggest surprise could be North Star not making the Regional Tournament without Weston. I could see the four Rolette County (St. John, Rolla, Rolette, and Dunsieth) teams representing District 8. North Star was pretty much an iron 5 last year and now that's down to 4 with the best one out with an injury. I wouldn't put any money against Hagler though as I am sure they will be competing for the district title come February.

It will be interesting to see what Starkweather brings to North Star and what Munich brings to Langdon. I know both were low in numbers but you gotta think they would bring at least one or two pretty good athletes and thats what Langdon seems to have been missing the last few years.
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby vikingman » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:57 pm

Starkweather isn't bringing any players to the Boys varsity that I'm aware of. There are 2 players added that we didn't have last year that will probably be starting on opening night, as it looks like we have a second injury to one of last year's starters.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby Big Blue » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:26 pm

I agree, it would be absolutely shocking if North Star didn't make regionals. I just have a very hard time believe that will happen. Kvilvang and Komrosky should be enough to carry them to a pretty nice position. Add Quentin Sears to the mix and you have a pretty impressive trio right there. North Star will finish in the top two in District 8 and top four in Region 4 even with their current injuries.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B-oldtimer » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:29 am

What will st. john bring back this year I thought they graduated several key players last year. Also Rollete graduated couple of starters and as I remember didn't have a lot of depth on the team. Rolla I didn't get to see them play last year for some reason. I would think Northstar with Kvilvang , Komrosky, and Hunt returning they should be able to compete with other district 8 teams on competitive basis. Langdon even with Munich players will be down I believe there are only 3 kids from Munich playing for highschool and two of them are freshman. Dunseith I have not seen play or heard much about. I guess I would like hear what people think who will be contenders will be.
I think district seven has number one team now with Weston down and possible another player from North Star down for region IV. Lakota-Edmore should be strong second place team and followed by Benson county for district Seven.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:31 am

woodchuck10 wrote:In District 8 I think that the biggest surprise could be North Star not making the Regional Tournament without Weston. I could see the four Rolette County (St. John, Rolla, Rolette, and Dunsieth) teams representing District 8. North Star was pretty much an iron 5 last year and now that's down to 4 with the best one out with an injury. I wouldn't put any money against Hagler though as I am sure they will be competing for the district title come February.

It will be interesting to see what Starkweather brings to North Star and what Munich brings to Langdon. I know both were low in numbers but you gotta think they would bring at least one or two pretty good athletes and thats what Langdon seems to have been missing the last few years.

I would take this bet. St. John and Dunseith are both going to be tough, I still dont see Rolla or Rolette coming withing 10-15 of NS. I know they they still have the Legacy kid and the Sears kid that moved there. I still see them playing in the Region Championship against 4winds.

I see Dunseith as a real surprise team in the Region Azure and Poitra are tough, depends on what kind of help they can get around them.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sticks11 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:34 am

woodchuck10 wrote:In District 8 I think that the biggest surprise could be North Star not making the Regional Tournament without Weston. I could see the four Rolette County (St. John, Rolla, Rolette, and Dunsieth) teams representing District 8. North Star was pretty much an iron 5 last year and now that's down to 4 with the best one out with an injury. I wouldn't put any money against Hagler though as I am sure they will be competing for the district title come February.

Weston is a very good player, and a loss that you can't replace, but regardless, North Star still makes the Regional Tournament. They still have 4 starters coming back, with all but one of them having at least two years of varsity ball under their belt. Kvilvang, Komrosky, and Heisler will have to pick up a little more of the scoring load and with a good role player in Hunt, they're not going to be an easy team to beat.
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby Big Blue » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:00 am

I am most familiar with the Eastern Side of the state so I will throw a couple teams out Region 1, 2 and 4.

District 1
I always think picking this district is kind of a crapshoot. Usually a lot of parity and almost always an underdog or two makes a post season run.
So the only team I will throw out is Lisbon. They're a team that struggled last year and isn't picked real high this year. With their height, they could give teams a real problem. Coach Mark always has his team ready to play every year.

District 2
Always a tough, tough district. This year is no different. I won't put it them as a surprise team, but I have Central Cass winning the region. Schauer will have this experienced group ready to go.
Northern Cass They had a nice season last year. Yeah, they lose a lot, but I expect to Cody Springer to emerge as one of the top players in the state this year. Again, they have some nice height and young guards to help Springer.
Richland I'm not sure where they will finish, but i put them on this list, because they will be much improved and will surprise people by how nice of a squad they will put on the court. It is just such a tough district. They have two returning senior starters plus a solid crew of juniors. What I think will be big for Richland is some confidence after a nice football season.

Region 2
This is extremely tough, because I think this Region is a pick them out of a hat type region. I see Griggs County Central, Hillsboro-Central Valley, Hatton-Northwood, May-Port CG and Cavalier all having similar chances at state. Park River-FL and Grafton will be in the mix. There just isn't that one dominant team going into the season. So I will throw out a number of teams not on that immediate list.
Larimore To me, Larimore is the Dark Horse to win the regional tournament. They have tons of experience, height and depth back. You have three of the top forward/post players in the region on one team in Sletten, Peterson and Verkuehlen. Then you have tons of inside depth with three or four other tall, strong guys. If they are able to get decent guard play and buy into a new coach's system, the Polar Bears could make a run.
Thompson To be honest, this team is probably a year away from being a true region contender. But the Tommies have a good group of young guards that will make them very competitive this year. Plus, their coaching staff is excellent. Brandy George has done a great job of trying to build something special in Thompson.
Finley-Sharon-Hope-Page Throwing the Spartans out there, just because I think there is a small chance that they could be really successful in Region 2. For a small co-op like FSHP, playing in District 2 year-after-year was a death sentence. Many district games, it seemed like the team was beat before they hit the court because they knew the competition they were playing. They have had high success against District 3 in the past couple of years we'll see what happens this year.

District 7
Four Winds-Minnewaukan owns District 7 and this year is NO different. But five of the next six teams should be very very close. Here are a couple teams that make runs in Region 4.
Dakota Prairie I think just like FSHP, a transition to a new district could be a godsend for Dakota Prairie. The Knights have a nice backcourt in Lund, Sand and Fitcher that could lead them to a good chunk of wins. Also, I never bet against Dakota Prairie at home. They have one of the top home-court advantages in the state.
Lakota-Edmore This is a team that could make a real run at regionals. Martinson is the real deal and the full starting lineup returns around him. This team is very balanced and could give teams all kinds of problems. I think the only thing they are missing is knowing how to win. If this group is able to play with confidence and improve throughout the season, they could be a Region 4 contender.

District 8
I think this will be the best District 8 has been in a while. North Star is the favorite and returns a lot of talent (even with an injury or two, St. John has one of the top backcourts in the state and Dunsieth, always tough, moved to the district this season. Rolla returns everyone. I think the two teams picked in the bottom of the district are the dark horses.
Langdon-Munich Do I think Langdon-Munich is a question mark? You best. Is there a chance they finish at the bottom of the district? Yep. But I think there is also a chance that this co-op is a huge boost. Both Langdon and Munich return a little bit of varsity experience and I think Munich will be a huge help to a struggling Langdon program. This co-op will add numbers, competition and a pretty nice player in Brady Samuelson for the Cardinals.
Rolette-Wolford I can't figure out why Rolette-Wolford is regarded near the bottom of the district. I was extremely impressed by Julson (and Martin too) last year. Add Pfeifer back to the mix and you have an experienced talented group. This could be a real surprise team.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby RedDirtFan » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:07 pm

Well, PRFL ran into a buzzsaw in Mayville in their second game. Apparently Mayville has more size than I remembered, but the Aggies will have to make some major improvements throughout the year to make their way into the mix. I still think they're the best of the old district 4 teams, but Cavalier and Grafton will have plenty to say about that. The Aggies are adjusting to the loss of Cadyn Hunter, who has two bad shoulders and decided not to come out, this year. While his loss on the defensive end is big, it's allowed players like Jordan Omlie, Matt Dobmeier, and Josh Ruzicka to show what they bring to the table, defensively. All three are playing very well in the press that PRFL employs, and they're starting to get comfortable on the offensive end, too.

Right now, the Aggies are missing a lot of under the hoop shots due to their lack of height. There aren't really any shot blockers around, so if they learn to relax a bit and not worry about getting blocked, those shots will start to fall. Johnson and Rehovsky are their current standouts, offensively. Defensively, it's the three players I mentioned.

I also saw DVE the other night. Phelps and Larson are as good as ever, and Steven McCollum is playing well as a sophomore. I will probably have to retract my earlier statement. I don't know if they'll have enough depth to make much noise, but those 3 kids are a lot of fun to watch. With the way the post game and mid range jump shot have died out at all levels of basketball, it's fun to see Jacob Larson succeed at both.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby HammerTime » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:44 pm

I could see Our Redeemer's as a surprise team from Region 6. I don't see them upsetting Rugby, but they could still dominate the region.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:13 pm

HammerTime wrote:I could see Our Redeemer's as a surprise team from Region 6. I don't see them upsetting Rugby, but they could still dominate the region.

Have to imagine Berthold should also compete well in that region this year.

Its Rugby's region to lose but at least they do have competition in the region and it shouldn't be a walk-through.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Sniper » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:23 am

I have been impressed with Dickinson Trinity and Hettinger out of region 7. Trinity already beat New England this year who was almost everyone's favorite for the region. Hettinger can score. Sadowsky is the real deal. Potential matchup with Shiloh if both teams win their next game of the Mandan Holliday Tournament would tell us a lot about where they are at. It is early in the season but region 7 seems to have 5 really tough teams with New England, Trinity, Hettinger, Beulah, and Hazen.
Sniper
NDPreps All-State

Postby Mike Ditka » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:58 pm

Region 7's tourney is basically a mini state tourney, the region has a ton of depth. Don't forget about Heart River and Killdeer, by the end of the year they will be very strong. Whomever comes out of 7 will be battle tested, that's for sure.
Mike Ditka
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby lions700 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:38 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
HammerTime wrote:I could see Our Redeemer's as a surprise team from Region 6. I don't see them upsetting Rugby, but they could still dominate the region.

Its Rugby's region to lose but at least they do have competition in the region and it shouldn't be a walk-through.

Have to talk about Bishop Ryan. May not be consistent and may have been pounded by Dunseith, but they did lead Shiloh at the half and lost by like 6 and any team Brock Teets is coaching has to be taken seriously. Bishop Ryan has players. It is just a matter of which team shows up for a game.
lions700
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Indy5 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:52 pm

lions700 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

Have to talk about Bishop Ryan. May not be consistent and may have been pounded by Dunseith, but they did lead Shiloh at the half and lost by like 6 and any team Brock Teets is coaching has to be taken seriously. Bishop Ryan has players. It is just a matter of which team shows up for a game.

Ryan in years past as had a tendency to play to the level of their competition a lot. Will play good teams tough then look underwhelming against bad teams. Also important to note their 6'4 center and probably best player Jared Will did not play against Dunsieth.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Mailman_25 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:08 am

Region 1 looked like a 2-team race early (FOG and Central Cass), but Northern Cass might crash that party come tournament time. Even before their 2OT win at home vs FOG last night, they had impressed me. They are long and athletic, have some depth, and have a grinder in Springer. They rely heavily on the 3-pointer, so that could be an Achilles Heal. But if you catch them on a good shooting night, they will be a tough team to beat.
Mailman_25
NDPreps Starter

Postby the old guy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:13 am

Drake-Anamoose may be a team that could surprise some people. They have the big Volson kid and some players that really seem to understand their roles. Noticed the last 2 games Volson hasn't played and they have struggled. Did he get hurt?
the old guy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Gunning4ya » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:31 am

the old guy wrote:Drake-Anamoose may be a team that could surprise some people. They have the big Volson kid and some players that really seem to understand their roles. Noticed the last 2 games Volson hasn't played and they have struggled. Did he get hurt?

Broken/fractured foot
Gunning4ya
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:18 pm

Gunning4ya wrote:
the old guy wrote:Drake-Anamoose may be a team that could surprise some people. They have the big Volson kid and some players that really seem to understand their roles. Noticed the last 2 games Volson hasn't played and they have struggled. Did he get hurt?

Broken/fractured foot

That's too bad, he was already having a heck of a season. What's the timetable for him to return?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Boys