What schools are considered "mega-Bs?"

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: What schools are considered "mega-Bs?"

Postby HammerTime » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:41 pm

And in the subject of Rugby, they've actually gotten bigger. Talked with the superintendent, and he said they've had about 10 new high school kids come this year alone. Don't know what it is, but it could the very fringe of the oil boom. I don't think rugby is shrinking.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby go maji » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:12 pm

I don't get why there are some schools that play sports in two different classes. If all of their sports were in the same class, it might make a small difference.(ie. St. Marys, Shanley)
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby Baller » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:41 pm

go maji wrote:I don't get why there are some schools that play sports in two different classes. If all of their sports were in the same class, it might make a small difference.(ie. St. Marys, Shanley)

Maybe because there are 4 divisions and football and 2 in everything else. You would have to add vc and wahp to that list playing AA football......
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby go maji » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:20 pm

Baller wrote:
go maji wrote:I don't get why there are some schools that play sports in two different classes. If all of their sports were in the same class, it might make a small difference.(ie. St. Marys, Shanley)

Maybe because there are 4 divisions and football and 2 in everything else. You would have to add vc and wahp to that list playing AA football......

Was the first sentence sarcastic? If it was I don't appreciate it. I only mentioned the two, because they are (mostly) class "A" teams that are playing in the class "B" championship football game.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby HammerTime » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:34 pm

And some places that have always played hockey, like Bottineau and Rugby, have had to co-op and play much bigger schools to keep playing. "Class B Hockey" does not exist in North Dakota.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:56 am

go maji wrote:
Baller wrote:

Was the first sentence sarcastic? If it was I don't appreciate it. I only mentioned the two, because they are (mostly) class "A" teams that are playing in the class "B" championship football game.

It wasn't sarcastic at all. Pointing out the reason why they dont play in the same division as the rest of their sports. You asked a question and I answered it. Sorry if you dont appreciate my giving you an answer. How do you figure that AA is class B when half the teams are so called "Class A" ?

I would say A and 9-man are more of your class B schools
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:18 am

HammerTime wrote:So, not in any particular order, these schools are the schools that cause the problems and dominate the Class B landscape:
Watford City
Stanley
Central Cass
Minot Ryan
Our Redeemers
Hazen
Beulah
Carrington
Bottineau
Rugby
Oak Grove
Lisbon
Kindred
Grafton
Four Winds-Minnewauken
Hillsboro-CV
Des Lacs-Burlington
Heart River
Shiloh Christian
Dickinson Trinity
New Town
Northern Cass

The bolded schools are the only ones I think that have had a really dominant run in multiple sports over the last 10 years. How many small schools have also had dominant runs with many different sports? Northstar and Cavalier come to mind.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:59 am

Here are some numbers that are kind of interesting. 9-12 Enrollment for AA football teams:

EAST
Shanley - 330
Wahpeton - 386
Grafton - 260
Central Cass - 213
Valley City - 352
Kindred - 193
Maple Valley/Enderlin - 193
Lisbon - 210

WEST
Bismarck St. Marys - 349
Beulah - 208
Minot Bishop Ryan - 155
Dickinson Trinity/New England - 175 + 71 = 246
Watford City/Alexander - 323 + 43 = 366
Central Dakota?? (Griggs County Central??/BCN??) - 80 + 80 = 160
Stanley/Powers Lake - 174 + 35 = 209
Turtle Mountain - 511

Sorry to bring this into the bb thread, but it is sort of relevant to the topic. What amazed me was the wide range of enrollment for a sport that has 4 divisions. (Granted it's based on male enrollment per certain grades)
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:13 pm

Well Minot Ryan is dropping down to A next year. Hillsboro-CV is moving up and there's was 216. Also, for Central Dakota you have to add in Pingree/Buchanon, Midkota, and Kensal so that's another 87 for a total of 247.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby B-oldtimer » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:00 pm

I think total enrollment should be adjusted when you have multiple schools in the coop. These coops usually receive very few from some school participants because level of participation drops for out
lying schools for number of reasons. I just see it every time when you put coop together if you would add up kids before coop participating and then after it usually drops 10 to 20% and continues to drop for awhile afterwards until it stabilizes. The coop schools also require more from kids participating in that they are at least going to spend 1hr a day more in time in travel and will have less practice time together so these kids put in additional time to just be even. I also think this is why participation drops unless your one of starters or kid getting a lot of playing time kids can see there circumstances and then add in extra time spent to just sit and be part of team they move on to something else or only choose the sport they love to
play to do this. It would be great if remaining schools we have now could stabilize and start to grow again to point where we could see a drop in coops. But I fear what were going to see is mega b continue grow and smaller b continue to struggle at least in the near future.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HammerTime » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:13 pm

I was incredibly bored over the last few days, so I decided to do what a few others had done: design a three class system! Yeah, I know it doesn't mean jack, but for the heck of it, I looked up the enrollment numbers for grades 8-11 in all of the public school districts. Granted, Fargo, Bismarck, and Grand Forks presented a problem because they have multiple schools in their own districts. Now, I'm setting it up as top 16, and then the next 24 and the rest. Now, keep in mind, I was really bored, and it seems like if I'm going to argue this, I might as well come up with a solution, albeit a really bad, and really badly sourced as I can no longer remember the site I used. I also took the liberty of alighning the regions and what not myself for the higher two classes. So to start with class AA.

East:
GF Central
GF Red River
Fargo North
Fargo South
Fargo Davies
Turtle Mtn.
West Fargo
West Fargo Sheyenne

West:
Bismarck
Bismarck Century
Bismarck Legacy
Dickinson
Jamestown
Mandan
Minot
Williston

Now for our infamous "middle class."

Region 1:
Fargo Shanley
Wahpeton
Kindred
Lisbon
Oak Grove
Central Cass

Region 2:
Grafton
Carrington
Northern Cass
Valley City
Devils Lake
Mayport-CG

Region 3:
Bishop Ryan
Stanley
Watford City
Rugby
Bottineau
Our Redeemer's

Region 4:
Bismarck St. Mary's
Beulah
Dickinson Trinity
Hazen
Williston Christian or Trinity or whatever they are now.
New Town

And we can put the rest in Class B.

Now, I'm fairly certain I got some numbers wrong, so correct me please. I was intensely bored. I decided to go with the idea that if you have no defined district, you play in the middle or above. Also, before anyone pulls the race card about Turtle Mtn. and Devils Lake, I don't care, switch 'EM around if you'd like, or come up with your own plan. Also, I've heard that people tend to build it around what school they like best. So, tell me which school I would benefit if this plan were put into place, because I have no clue. And before someone asks, "Why did you make the middle class 4 regions instead of east and west like everybody else?" Well, I did it because, why not? We're going to do it in football next year in Class A. I did it because maybe people like a little variety. And if we'd do a region tourney, why not give the two teams with the best region records byes? But, like every other plan we propose on this site, it will simply fade into obscurity and meaninglessness because we have a BOD that rejects any form of serious change with every fiber in their bodies. So until that changes, these ideas are just that. Simply ideas, that we may never see in our life times. So please, keep that in mind while writing your scathing critisism.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HammerTime » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:42 pm

And another thing, adding another class affects more than just boys basketball. Sometimes, I think we get too shortsighted and caught in the moment to realize that this level of change would affect many other sports. It would change girls basketball, for one, and volleyball and track, and even fine arts stuff few people watch unless they were forced to. Neau every school has something they are dominant at, or at least not struggle at. So if we're going to add another class, we need to think more broadly about other competitions too. Like track, Carrington and Rugby are two dominant teams in track, and have been for a very long time. Now while these sports aren't necessarily elimination sports like basketball is, where a big team can year after year take opportunities away from smaller schools, we need to accept that whatever we do here, spills over into everything else.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HammerTime » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:44 pm

I'm sorry for the rant, but this forum has been too quiet for the start of basketball season to be this close.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sniper » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:50 pm

HammerTime wrote:I was incredibly bored over the last few days, so I decided to do what a few others had done: design a three class system! Yeah, I know it doesn't mean jack, but for the heck of it, I looked up the enrollment numbers for grades 8-11 in all of the public school districts. Granted, Fargo, Bismarck, and Grand Forks presented a problem because they have multiple schools in their own districts. Now, I'm setting it up as top 16, and then the next 24 and the rest. Now, keep in mind, I was really bored, and it seems like if I'm going to argue this, I might as well come up with a solution, albeit a really bad, and really badly sourced as I can no longer remember the site I used. I also took the liberty of alighning the regions and what not myself for the higher two classes. So to start with class AA.

East:
GF Central
GF Red River
Fargo North
Fargo South
Fargo Davies
Turtle Mtn.
West Fargo
West Fargo Sheyenne

West:
Bismarck
Bismarck Century
Bismarck Legacy
Dickinson
Jamestown
Mandan
Minot
Williston

Region 1:
Fargo Shanley
Wahpeton
Kindred
Lisbon
Oak Grove
Central Cass

Region 2:
Grafton
Carrington
Northern Cass
Valley City
Devils Lake
Mayport-CG

Region 3:
Bishop Ryan
Stanley
Watford City
Rugby
Bottineau
Our Redeemer's

Region 4:
Bismarck St. Mary's
Beulah
Dickinson Trinity
Hazen
New Town

Now, I'm fairly certain I got some numbers wrong, so correct me please. I was intensely bored. I decided to go with the idea that if you have no defined district, you play in the middle or above. Also, before anyone pulls the race card about Turtle Mtn. and Devils Lake, I don't care, switch 'EM around if you'd like, or come up with your own plan. Also, I've heard that people tend to build it around what school they like best. So, tell me which school I would benefit if this plan were put into place, because I have no clue. And before someone asks, "Why did you make the middle class 4 regions instead of east and west like everybody else?" Well, I did it because, why not? We're going to do it in football next year in Class A. I did it because maybe people like a little variety. And if we'd do a region tourney, why not give the two teams with the best region records byes? But, like every other plan we propose on this site, it will simply fade into obscurity and meaninglessness because we have a BOD that rejects any form of serious change with every fiber in their bodies. So until that changes, these ideas are just that. Simply ideas, that we may never see in our life times. So please, keep that in mind while writing your scathing critisism.

I would put Shiloh into the middle class. Since you already have all of the private schools in the top two classes you might as well put them all in there.
Sniper
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:54 am

Williston Trinity Christian has roughly 44 kids in their high school...they really aren't growing that much either. I don't see them affecting things negatively by staying out of a 'middle class'
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby HammerTime » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:01 am

Oh yeah. Forgot about Shiloh Christian. That would help.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NCBBALL » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:31 am

What were the enrollment cutoffs for your "Middle Class" ? I am curious because I know some of them have very low enrollments in comparison not only to the other private schools but also compared to many if not most of the other schools on the list.
Just a question - do not want to debate if the private schools should be included or not.

HammerTime wrote:I was incredibly bored over the last few days, so I decided to do what a few others had done: design a three class system! Yeah, I know it doesn't mean jack, but for the heck of it, I looked up the enrollment numbers for grades 8-11 in all of the public school districts. Granted, Fargo, Bismarck, and Grand Forks presented a problem because they have multiple schools in their own districts. Now, I'm setting it up as top 16, and then the next 24 and the rest. Now, keep in mind, I was really bored, and it seems like if I'm going to argue this, I might as well come up with a solution, albeit a really bad, and really badly sourced as I can no longer remember the site I used. I also took the liberty of alighning the regions and what not myself for the higher two classes. So to start with class AA.

East:
GF Central
GF Red River
Fargo North
Fargo South
Fargo Davies
Turtle Mtn.
West Fargo
West Fargo Sheyenne

West:
Bismarck
Bismarck Century
Bismarck Legacy
Dickinson
Jamestown
Mandan
Minot
Williston

Region 1:
Fargo Shanley
Wahpeton
Kindred
Lisbon
Oak Grove
Central Cass

Region 2:
Grafton
Carrington
Northern Cass
Valley City
Devils Lake
Mayport-CG

Region 3:
Bishop Ryan
Stanley
Watford City
Rugby
Bottineau
Our Redeemer's

Region 4:
Bismarck St. Mary's
Beulah
Dickinson Trinity
Hazen
New Town

NCBBALL
NDPreps Starter

Postby heimer » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:51 pm

NCBBALL wrote:Just a question - do not want to debate if the private schools should be included or not.

Why not? Free passes all around in your world?
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby gominers » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:37 pm

I like it. It looks like the middle class would have enrollment from about 150-400. Heart River could be included with those numbers. That would allow you to move New Town to the north group which would make more sense from a travel standpoint.
gominers
NDPreps Starter

Postby HammerTime » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:54 pm

I didn't really have any cutoffs, just the top 16 in AA and next 24 in A. And as said earlier, I was very bored when I did this, so I'm certain I made a number of mistakes, for instance, forgetting about Hear River. I think that if this would have enrollment cutoffs and whatnot, it would be about 420-430 to about 150-160.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Previous

Return to Boys