best DUNKERS in class B

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

best DUNKERS in class B

Postby ClassBforlife » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:54 pm

This is my opinion based off what I've seen in summer camps and last year
In no particular order
Brad Heidlebough - Rugby
Alex Weston - North Star
Tanner Bernhardt - RUGBY
Davis Koppinger - ORCS
John Reiten - ORCS
Dalton Steede - ORCS
Ben Talley - ORCS
Jared Will - Ryan
Stefan Stubbs
Feel free to add more this is all I've seen
ClassBforlife
NDPreps Rookie

Re: best DUNKERS in class B

Postby vikingman » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:06 pm

I had been looking forward to see Weston dunk one in a game this year, but doesn't look like it will happen. I've seen him dunk in open gym, but he had never done it in a game.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby go maji » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:13 pm

ClassBforlife wrote:This is my opinion based off what I've seen in summer camps and last year
In no particular order
Brad Heidlebough - Rugby
Alex Weston - North Star
Tanner Bernhardt - RUGBY
Davis Koppinger - ORCS
John Reiten - ORCS
Dalton Steede - ORCS
Ben Talley - ORCS
Jared Will - Ryan
Stefan Stubbs
Feel free to add more this is all I've seen

Stefan Stubbs move out of state.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby Nodak Guy » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:49 pm

Where was the Stubbs kid from? And where did he go?
Nodak Guy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:54 pm

Nodak Guy wrote:Where was the Stubbs kid from? And where did he go?

From Tioga...went to Glendive, MT
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby balla45 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:10 am

Brady Bender of New England is pretty impressive in the air. Wyatt Carr of Hazen can 360. Casey Walcker of Beulah still is the only 8th grader I have ever seen windmill. Trayvonn McKay of Four Winds is also really impressive in the air.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby The12thMan » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:10 am

Anthony Olsen from Lamoure. Only 5'10
The12thMan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HammerTime » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:56 pm

Nolan Hovland from Rugby had a decent two-handed slam in the Langdon Area game.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby CC1983 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:50 pm

Kvilvang from NorthStar had one tonight. Nothing great one hand threw it down. More than most can do.
CC1983
NDPreps Starter

Postby senditin » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:33 pm

Tronis McKay, FWM, put one down with 2 hands vs Carrington.
senditin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ClassBforlife » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:01 am

Davis Koppinger from ORCS had a two hander against white shield tonight
ClassBforlife
NDPreps Rookie

Postby go maji » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:54 pm

ClassBforlife wrote:Davis Koppinger from ORCS had a two hander against white shield tonight

I saw the highlight. I don't think you can call that a dunk. Haha
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby Broncos811 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:49 pm

I don't mean what I'm about to say in a discouraging way, in fact if any aspiring "dunker" sees this, I hope you take this as an encouragement.
Now, I think it's pretty fruitless to decide who the best dunker in class B basketball because none of them are good dunkers
The dunks that have happened this season, so far as I am aware, are not great dunks. Has there even been anything in the half court? Or on the fast break anything more than a little slam or even worse a fingertip dunk? Maybe I haven't given enough time into this season, and I'm basing this solely on this season, but I wouldn't call it good dunking, I'd call it dunking.

The original poster mentioned four guys from Our Redeemer's, I haven't heard about a dunk from them yet this season. You would think that with four people who can dunk you'd expect a slam at least once in 5 games played.

I'm not saying they can't dunk, or any of the other people who has played summer ball and dunked or posted videos to social media of them lobbing can't dunk, but playing above the rim in a varsity setting is tough, and that's why I wouldn't call people who fit in that group a good dunker.

I haven't seen every game or heard all the news, so maybe it's happened and it'll flip my switch about discussing this, but until I see a fast break dunk thrown with a little more power or a dunk off a backdoor or any of those 6'5+ guys dunk it in the post I don't think this is a conversation worth having, because no real dunkers exist in Class B.

Again, don't take this as an attack on anybody, I would love for everyone who aspires to play above the rim to work on it, build up their confidence and their verticals. Or if there is a real dunker hiding in Class B, I would love to be proved wrong
Broncos811
NDPreps Reserve

Postby packers21 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:48 pm

Broncos811 wrote:I don't mean what I'm about to say in a discouraging way, in fact if any aspiring "dunker" sees this, I hope you take this as an encouragement.
Now, I think it's pretty fruitless to decide who the best dunker in class B basketball because none of them are good dunkers
The dunks that have happened this season, so far as I am aware, are not great dunks. Has there even been anything in the half court? Or on the fast break anything more than a little slam or even worse a fingertip dunk? Maybe I haven't given enough time into this season, and I'm basing this solely on this season, but I wouldn't call it good dunking, I'd call it dunking.

The original poster mentioned four guys from Our Redeemer's, I haven't heard about a dunk from them yet this season. You would think that with four people who can dunk you'd expect a slam at least once in 5 games played.

I'm not saying they can't dunk, or any of the other people who has played summer ball and dunked or posted videos to social media of them lobbing can't dunk, but playing above the rim in a varsity setting is tough, and that's why I wouldn't call people who fit in that group a good dunker.

I haven't seen every game or heard all the news, so maybe it's happened and it'll flip my switch about discussing this, but until I see a fast break dunk thrown with a little more power or a dunk off a backdoor or any of those 6'5+ guys dunk it in the post I don't think this is a conversation worth having, because no real dunkers exist in Class B.

Again, don't take this as an attack on anybody, I would love for everyone who aspires to play above the rim to work on it, build up their confidence and their verticals. Or if there is a real dunker hiding in Class B, I would love to be proved wrong

Man are you WAYYYYYYY off here
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Broncos811 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:44 pm

packers21 wrote:Man are you WAYYYYYYY off here

That's fine. But care to tell me where and how? Have I missed a guy who dribbles through the lane and dunks over somebody?
I'm not impressed with out of game dunks either, if that's what you're talking about. And if that's the case we'll just have to disagree on what makes a dunker.
Broncos811
NDPreps Reserve

Postby packers21 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:33 am

Broncos811 wrote:
packers21 wrote:Man are you WAYYYYYYY off here

That's fine. But care to tell me where and how? Have I missed a guy who dribbles through the lane and dunks over somebody?
I'm not impressed with out of game dunks either, if that's what you're talking about. And if that's the case we'll just have to disagree on what makes a dunker.

You do not think there are any guys in the entire state (class b) that can dunk? In game ?
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby classB4ever » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:28 am

What is funny is the people that are negative have no idea what playing above the rim is. There are way more athletic kids who can throw down than ever. But there are also more kids ready to stop them. This crap about going up in the lane and dunking in traffic is bs. Not many college players in ND do it. If you are Al Dvorak then fine. Otherwise hush it.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:46 am

It is Class A, but the Williston kid dunks in traffic.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby uspsrt » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:02 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1lanOxBXgA

I'm confused about the definition of a dunk. This clip is from last years state tournament. At about the one minute mark of the clip two "above the rim" baskets are made. I'm wondering if either meet anyone's definition of a dunk. They were not in traffic obviously.
uspsrt
NDPreps Reserve

Postby packers21 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:16 am

balla45 wrote:It is Class A, but the Williston kid dunks in traffic.

Eikens is a FREAK, probably the best talent in the state and he's only a freshman. He dunk with authority through the lane in traffic and on ppl.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby packers21 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:18 am

uspsrt wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1lanOxBXgA

I'm confused about the definition of a dunk. This clip is from last years state tournament. At about the one minute mark of the clip two "above the rim" baskets are made. I'm wondering if either meet anyone's definition of a dunk. They were not in traffic obviously.

Both were awesome dunks, Chrest from Cavalier also had a hard two handed slam at state last year.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Broncos811 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:14 am

I would call those good dunks. Its a slam with some power behind it, which I think a dunk needs to have on the fast break. If I were to name someone the best at dunking in Class B it'd probably be Heidlebough.

I guess my only problem, and the reason for my rant is the terminology. The word dunker to me means someone who has the ability to change the momentum of the game and of the crowd by doing something flashy. Get people screaming, not just cheering. And maybe North Dakota's Class B has a different benchmark of what that might be, but I've only lived here for a couple years.

I played and coached in the greater twin Cities area where on your varsity team most people were able to dunk, but there was on a couple teams true dunkers. They catch an alley-oop after the opening tip or on the fast break they windmill. I'm not seeing that.
I suppose it's probably cultural though.
Broncos811
NDPreps Reserve

Postby packers21 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:45 am

Broncos811 wrote:

I would call those good dunks. Its a slam with some power behind it, which I think a dunk needs to have on the fast break. If I were to name someone the best at dunking in Class B it'd probably be Heidlebough.

I guess my only problem, and the reason for my rant is the terminology. The word dunker to me means someone who has the ability to change the momentum of the game and of the crowd by doing something flashy. Get people screaming, not just cheering. And maybe North Dakota's Class B has a different benchmark of what that might be, but I've only lived here for a couple years.

I played and coached in the greater twin Cities area where on your varsity team most people were able to dunk, but there was on a couple teams true dunkers. They catch an alley-oop after the opening tip or on the fast break they windmill. I'm not seeing that.

Ya prob won't see that type of dunk in class b, but a dunk in class b will bring that same type of reaction
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:05 pm

Broncos811 wrote:

I dont know if a person would call it culture vs style of play and simply true vertical capability plus length and timing....dunking is an art IMO but first you have to be able to get up "hops" even if your taller... otherwise it dont seem like a real Dunk
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby HammerTime » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:39 pm

I definately think it is cultural. But culture comes from the environment we live in and how we adapt. We don't have the talent pool that you'd find in the Twin Cities area or down south. Could you imagine if we expected are players to play like NBA players? We would find the game so boring, no one would watch. So as a result, we lowered our standards and what we see in person that excites us is very different than what excites you when your on TV.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to Boys