best DUNKERS in class B

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: best DUNKERS in class B

Postby HammerTime » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:41 pm

I meant "watching TV" at the end there.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sticks11 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:36 am

IMO - If a Class B North Dakota kid can dunk, whether or not it's some spectacular one in a game or in practice, it's decent. People that have played the game of basketball should understand that a 6'2" who gets off the floor well enough to put it down with two hands is pretty good in Class B. I don't care if it's through traffic or some 6'5" kid who drop step dunks or on a break-away with nobody around him. Dunking in Class B is not that common in games. So when a kid does, it's a big deal - and to me, it should be.
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby The12thMan » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:45 pm

The last real dunker i've seen in class B was James Richman.
The12thMan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sticks11 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:04 am

The12thMan wrote:The last real dunker i've seen in class B was James Richman.

Not exactly sure what the term "real dunker" means, but okay.
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby EHS1998 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:10 am

Adam White had a nice 1 step, 2 hander from the baseline over the weekend. The pass to him from sophomore Luke Wertz was even prettier.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby The12thMan » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:32 am

Sticks11 wrote:

It means someone who dunks more than 3 times in a season.
The12thMan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby packers21 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:39 am

The12thMan wrote:
Sticks11 wrote:

It means someone who dunks more than 3 times in a season.

OOOO so thats the bar huh? Thanks! :roll:
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sniper » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:21 pm

I would consider someone a "real dunker" if they consistently get in-game dunks.
Sniper
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:44 am

Guess I figure if a kid throws down a legit dunk in a game I would say he's a dunker.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:27 pm

HammerTime wrote:I definately think it is cultural. But culture comes from the environment we live in and how we adapt. We don't have the talent pool that you'd find in the Twin Cities area or down south. Could you imagine if we expected are players to play like NBA players? We would find the game so boring, no one would watch. So as a result, we lowered our standards and what we see in person that excites us is very different than what excites you when your on TV.

I've seen a lot of big time slammers that weren't talented....all they could do is run and jump (talent in itself but not a basketball player) and explain cultural in reference to a dunk if you would.... :)
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby HammerTime » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:19 am

winner-within wrote:
HammerTime wrote:I definately think it is cultural. But culture comes from the environment we live in and how we adapt. We don't have the talent pool that you'd find in the Twin Cities area or down south. Could you imagine if we expected are players to play like NBA players? We would find the game so boring, no one would watch. So as a result, we lowered our standards and what we see in person that excites us is very different than what excites you when your on TV.

I've seen a lot of big time slammers that weren't talented....all they could do is run and jump (talent in itself but not a basketball player) and explain cultural in reference to a dunk if you would.... :)

Cultural... Cultural. You live in North Dakota, right? You know we're not a flashy people, here right? We're a quiet, conservative people that doesn't like to show off. That should explain the whole dunking thing right there. Sure, North Dakota isn't quite as traditional as it was many years ago. But our emphasis in basketball isn't learning to impress college scouts. It's, more or less, about instilling values in the young people in our state. Granted, we miss that mark a good 45% of the time, but you get my point, I hope.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sticks11 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:51 am

HammerTime wrote:
winner-within wrote:

Cultural... Cultural. You live in North Dakota, right? You know we're not a flashy people, here right? We're a quiet, conservative people that doesn't like to show off. That should explain the whole dunking thing right there. Sure, North Dakota isn't quite as traditional as it was many years ago. But our emphasis in basketball isn't learning to impress college scouts. It's, more or less, about instilling values in the young people in our state. Granted, we miss that mark a good 45% of the time, but you get my point, I hope.

I guess I don't think dunking is flashy. If a kid can dunk, they dunk. I don't think there is anything cultural about it. Whether it's ND or Florida.....if kids can dunk, they're going to do it. And I don't know how many programs emphasize on impressing college scouts, I would hope not many. The dunk certainly wouldn't do that.

So you're saying anytime a kid dunks, they're showing off?
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:14 pm

HammerTime wrote:
winner-within wrote:

I do not think it matters where you live....have never heard of that before....

A Dunk?

1. power move
2. crowd igniter
3. confidence builder
4. intimidation (not humiliation to the dunker or dunkie)
5. huge part of the college game (plays designed for it/punctuates 2 points)..

nothing flashy about a dunk IMO (ND born and bred)......a great follow up dunk is just as effective as a board sweeping rebound, landing and then putting it back up....and there isnt a scout out there looking to see your dunking ability per say....but if its part of a skill set then it is and can be to ones advantage simply because of vertical leap.........I think part of the naysayers opinion lies in the fact that they never could do it or cant do it.....no big deal we're all different, but not culturally on the court Basketball is basketball and all levels are fun to watch for me...dunk or no dunk...
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Nodak Guy » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:29 pm

Anthony Olson from LaMoure had a monster off of a lob against Milnor the other day. First play of the game. Guess they tried it a few more times after that, too. Wasn't there, but heard it was pretty cool. Anyone on here at the game?
Nodak Guy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:23 pm

Nodak Guy wrote:Anthony Olson from LaMoure had a monster off of a lob against Milnor the other day. First play of the game. Guess they tried it a few more times after that, too. Wasn't there, but heard it was pretty cool. Anyone on here at the game?

hes got serious hops
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby vikingman » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:36 pm

Trayvon McKay gets a 2-handed dunk at 5:20 here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjkyDkkffME

Was hoping his brother would also have one, it sounds like he's more impressive as a jumper.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby sportsphenom » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:30 pm

winner-within wrote:
Nodak Guy wrote:Anthony Olson from LaMoure had a monster off of a lob against Milnor the other day. First play of the game. Guess they tried it a few more times after that, too. Wasn't there, but heard it was pretty cool. Anyone on here at the game?

hes got serious hops

He just had another monster jam in the Barnes County tournament. I swear he took off from the free throw line (ok maybe not but it sounds good) grabbed a rebound off a missed shot and 2 hand hammered it. Pretty impressive for someone that isn't even 6'.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:37 pm

Heidlebaugh had one on a baseline drive tonight against DL-B
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Broncos811 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:11 am

Sounds like Reiten from ORCS has dunked 3 times in the past 2 games. I guess I'll eat my words about what I said about Our Redeemer's.
Broncos811
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ClassBforlife » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:39 pm

Once again john REITEN from ORCS postered a kid again tonight, the kid can dunk!
ClassBforlife
NDPreps Rookie

Postby vikingman » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:52 pm

When did Reiten get his dunk? I want to see it, but don't want to watch the entire webcast.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby Basketball23 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:37 pm

http://www.thecube.com/event/445385

At 1:32:23 is when the start of the play happens for Reitens Dunk
Basketball23
NDPreps Rookie

Postby RebelsThunder » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:27 pm

Anthony Olsen form LaMoure had a sweet put back dunk in the championship game of the Barnes County tournament
RebelsThunder
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Basketball23 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:55 am

John Reiten had 2 more dunks against Berthold tonight. Both in the second half.
Basketball23
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Gunning4ya » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:49 am

Basketball23 wrote:John Reiten had 2 more dunks against Berthold tonight. Both in the second half.

Saw the highlights of these "dunks"....they looked to be drop ins than dunks.
Gunning4ya
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Boys