2014-15 Region 3 Players & Predictions

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

2014-15 Region 3 Players & Predictions

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:37 pm

Top 15 Players - Ordered by Teams
Bryce Meehl, Oakes
Ethan Zetocha, Oakes
Carter Zetocha, Oakes
Anthony Olson, LaMoure-LM
Drew Thielges, LaMoure-LM
Jonathon Purintun, Linton-HMB
Ryan Schneider, Linton-HMB
Adam White, Ellendale
Brennen Vance, Ellendale
Brody Nieuwsma, Strasburg/Zeeland
Jacob Eberle, Strasburg/Zeeland
Hunter Pinke, South Border
Connor Entzi, E-K-M
Seth Abaurrea, Carrington
Ryan Sand, Kidder County

District 5
1. LaMoure-LM
2. Oakes
3. Ellendale
4. Carrington
5. Edgeley-Kulm-Montpelier
6. Midkota
7. Barnes County North

District 6
1. Linton-HMB
2. Strasburg/Zeeland
3. South Border
4. Kidder County
5. Napoleon-Gackle-Streeter
6. Medina/Pingree-Buchanan

Region 3
1. LaMoure-LM
2. Linton-HMB
3. Oakes
4. Ellendale
5. Carrington
6. Strasburg/Zeeland
7. Edgeley-Kulm-Montpelier
8. South Border
9. Kidder County
10. Napoleon-Gackle-Streeter
11. Medina/Pingree-Buchanan
12. Midkota
13. Barnes County North
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Re: 2014-15 Region 3 Players & Predictions

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:05 pm

Feel free to add discussion to this topic...
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Money » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:21 pm

I predict either Lamoure or Linton winning the region. Both well coached and talented teams. I think Oakes could also make a run at the Region title.
Money
NDPreps Reserve

Postby EHS1998 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:21 pm

Money wrote:I predict either Lamoure or Linton winning the region. Both well coached and talented teams. I think Oakes could also make a run at the Region title.

I agree that these three are considered favorites heading into the year. But there are a handful of teams with talent that could put themselves into that mix as well, including (in no particular order) Strasburg, Carrington, Ellendale, EKM, Kidder County and South Border. We thought last year was a dogfight, this year will be even more so. Remember, both the perennial favorites dropped games earlier in the year. I don't see a team going into the Region tournament with an unblemished record.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:31 am

Carrington will surprise teams this year. Very athletic and aggressive defensively. If they can knock down some outside shots, they will give any team a run for their money.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sniper » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:05 pm

I think Strasburg/Zeeland is going to compete for the region championship.
Sniper
NDPreps All-State

Postby MtGbCc » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:41 pm

I think that has of right now, Lamoure-LM and Linton are the top two teams going into the season. Then there's a fairly wide gap before I would throw in teams like Oakes, Carrington, and maybe Ellendale. I think Lamoure and Linton have 3-4 really good studs and a couple solid role players each. Oakes, Carrington, Ellendale, and Strasburg each have 1-2 studs and not enough talented role players. IMO
Obviously it's a long season so we'll see what happens
MtGbCc
NDPreps Rookie

Postby EHS1998 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:15 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Top 15 Players - Ordered by Teams
Bryce Meehl, Oakes
Ethan Zetocha, Oakes
Carter Zetocha, Oakes
Anthony Olson, LaMoure-LM
Drew Thielges, LaMoure-LM
Jonathon Purintun, Linton-HMB
Ryan Schneider, Linton-HMB
Adam White, Ellendale
Brennen Vance, Ellendale
Brody Nieuwsma, Strasburg/Zeeland
Jacob Eberle, Strasburg/Zeeland
Hunter Pinke, South Border
Connor Entzi, E-K-M
Seth Abaurrea, Carrington
Ryan Sand, Kidder County

Really good list. There are a number of talented players who aren't on this but I can't imagine who you take off. Watch out for a kid from Strasburg Zeeland named Hunter Huizenga. He could make them a contender again this year.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:44 pm

Region 3 & 7 were the hardest to make the list for...players-wise.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby EHS1998 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:36 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Region 3 & 7 were the hardest to make the list for...players-wise.

Oh I bet. You did good though!
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby YMCMB » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:48 pm

I would include Brody bartholomew from oakes on that top players list putting up 12 a game and about 8 rebounds he plays with a lot of energy and really battles as an undersized center probably only 5'10 thought he did a good job against Adam white in the game vs ellendale earlier this season
YMCMB
NDPreps Reserve

Postby EHS1998 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:22 pm

YMCMB wrote:I would include Brody bartholomew from oakes on that top players list putting up 12 a game and about 8 rebounds he plays with a lot of energy and really battles as an undersized center probably only 5'10 thought he did a good job against Adam white in the game vs ellendale earlier this season

Definitely agree with adding Brody to the list. Very active and athletic, with a nice jumper.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby RebelsThunder » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:39 pm

YMCMB wrote:I would include Brody bartholomew from oakes on that top players list putting up 12 a game and about 8 rebounds he plays with a lot of energy and really battles as an undersized center probably only 5'10 thought he did a good job against Adam white in the game vs ellendale earlier this season

I disagree he's a good role player works harder than most. I just haven't seen him score unless he gets an open layup. i'd have to see the stats to say he puts up 12 a game i just have to doubt it. He plays pretty good defense when the reffs let play aggressive. His defense seems border line fouling every play. I think he could be put on top of a role player list but not top players list.
RebelsThunder
NDPreps Reserve

Postby d_fense » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:26 am

Brody has a game high of 15 points, and a low of 2 points with a couple of 4 point efforts mixed in. He is scoring just under 10 points a game. As far as rebounding goes, he has had as many as 8 rebounds only once this year (8vs Napoleon). I don't consider him a top player, but he is a good shooter, hitting over 50 % from the field and 84% from the line. He does have 10 threes on the year so far (10/20). So it isn't just lay ups that he is shooting. He'll be back next year so I may put him on a top player list next season.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby EHS1998 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:30 pm

I think it is a bit dangerous to evaluate a player just on their numbers. You also have to consider their role on their team and the players they have around them. Brody plays a very valuable role for Oakes in defending both post and perimeter players and is a very good rebounder. With their other offensive weapons, I doubt many sets are run for him specifically so just under 10 points a game is pretty good. Also, correct me if I am wrong but I am pretty sure the was a very big part of their deep postseason run last year and figures to be a factor this year as well. When teams game plan for Oakes, I'm guessing that his name is prominent.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby RebelsThunder » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:57 pm

EHS1998 wrote:I think it is a bit dangerous to evaluate a player just on their numbers. You also have to consider their role on their team and the players they have around them. Brody plays a very valuable role for Oakes in defending both post and perimeter players and is a very good rebounder. With their other offensive weapons, I doubt many sets are run for him specifically so just under 10 points a game is pretty good. Also, correct me if I am wrong but I am pretty sure the was a very big part of their deep postseason run last year and figures to be a factor this year as well. When teams game plan for Oakes, I'm guessing that his name is prominent.

I just dis agree you bring up great points the put him as a role player if we're putting role players on this list then the list is huge but i do agree he is a great piece to Oakes's team.
RebelsThunder
NDPreps Reserve

Postby d_fense » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:24 pm

EHS1998 wrote:I think it is a bit dangerous to evaluate a player just on their numbers. You also have to consider their role on their team and the players they have around them. Brody plays a very valuable role for Oakes in defending both post and perimeter players and is a very good rebounder. With their other offensive weapons, I doubt many sets are run for him specifically so just under 10 points a game is pretty good. Also, correct me if I am wrong but I am pretty sure the was a very big part of their deep postseason run last year and figures to be a factor this year as well. When teams game plan for Oakes, I'm guessing that his name is prominent.

I call bologna. It is not "dangerous" to evaluate a player just on numbers. Additionally, I am not evaluating Brody "just on numbers". I have seen him play, live in person, for a number of years. I am not talking him or any high school kid down. If someone feels that way, I am sorry, that is not my intent. I would take Brody on any of my favorite teams in a heart beat. However numbers do mean things. Can they be twisted? Of coarse they can. But, I don't think it is right to call someone, "a very good rebounder" when they average 5.2 rebounds a game with a game high of 8. Additionally, defending both post and perimeter players is common place in basketball, especially Class B basketball. Nearly every team has a player, or multiple players that do the same thing. (Some examples off the top of my head... Carter Mauch guarding Carter Kretchman and a teams best post player, Kellen Jorgenson guarding Jake Hanson and Carter Mauch, Ben Hanson guarding Carter Mauch or whomever is the best player, Riggs Nudell, Cody Springer, Christian Adams, and the list goes on. Of these defenders, only Carter Mauch would be considered by most people as their teams best player.) Typically most teams spend most of their time game planning for their opponents best, or 2 best players.

Finally you state that Brody was a "Very big part of their big post season run last year" and ask to be corrected if you are wrong. Well you can decide by looking at some numbers.... In the final game of the district tourney (a win or your season is done game) Brody had 2pts, 5rbs, and a steal. In the 3 regional games his numbers were
Pts, reb, steals
15 - 4 - 0
2 - 5 - 3
2 - 3 - 0
Obviously there are only 5 kids on the court at a time, so they all have a role to play.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby EHS1998 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:43 pm

Rebelsthunder and d_fense - I respect each of your points of view and you definitely make some compelling points. I simply disagree and do think he is deserving of consideration. There are likely others I would consider as such that you don't either and probably vice versa. I do value the dialogue.

I do completely agree that numbers are important in evaluating players but was just taking the stance that sometimes they aren't the end all, be all.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby Tbucs » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:03 pm

I think that in the next couple of seasons we could see teams like Midkota, New Rockford and NGS really improve and have really good teams. They all seem to be young and gaining much needed expirence need to compete. They all seem to have some good young players.
Tbucs
NDPreps Rookie

Postby NodakQ2 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:28 pm

Let's focus on the "predictions" part of this thread...Now that the regular season is winding down, who the heck is going to come out of this Region? One of the favorites in Ellendale or Linton? Or a "sleeper" like Carrington, Oakes, LaMoure, EEK, Kidder, Strasberg, South Border? I think of ANY region, this one is a toss up.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Boys