Varsity Starters

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Varsity Starters

Postby CC1983 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:12 pm

Could have put this post anywhere but will get some traffic here.

Wondering everyone's opinion on Varsity starters starting/playing on B squad/JV. I understand some schools have numbers issues, and it is an opportunity to get more playing time. But to me that varsity starting position is a sacred thing. Those 5 starters, 6 in volleyball, are good enough to have that spot and the JV should be a chance to play and improve. What is everyone's take?
CC1983
NDPreps Starter

Re: Varsity Starters

Postby ChickenWing » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:16 pm

It doesn't happen very often that one of the five starters plays any JV. IF THEY DO IT's probably one going to be one quarter. A lot of time 8th graders will be pulled up if it's a number issue
ChickenWing
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:22 pm

2 years ago, I watched a player start on jv and varsity and it wasn't a numbers thing.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:24 pm

I think it depends on the program and the player. Maybe the team is starting a freshman point guard who needs to gain confidence, as the varsity team struggles, and he struggles to get the ball across half court in varsity games.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:02 pm

I see nothing wrong with playing a young varsity starter a quarter or two on JV to gain experience or confidence.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:40 pm

The Schwab wrote:I see nothing wrong with playing a young varsity starter a quarter or two on JV to gain experience or confidence.

Absolutely agree. However, if they are good enough to start for the varsity, I don't believe they need to start on the jv.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:42 pm

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:I see nothing wrong with playing a young varsity starter a quarter or two on JV to gain experience or confidence.

Absolutely agree. However, if they are good enough to start for the varsity, I don't believe they need to start on the jv.

I don't see this as an issue. You see this quite often early in the year to build that confidence before the Varsity game. You get 6 quarters a night...why not use them, right?
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:46 pm

Of course getting 6 quarters is great for younger players. I simply don't think a varsity starter should, let alone start on the jv as well. Call me old school I guess.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby CC1983 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:55 pm

I was recently at a volleyball game where the star player,also a senior, for the visiting team started and played the first game for the JV. Don't think its right. How are the young players supposed to get better if a coach needs to win that bad.
CC1983
NDPreps Starter

Postby EHS1998 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:11 pm

CC1983 wrote:I was recently at a volleyball game where the star player,also a senior, for the visiting team started and played the first game for the JV. Don't think its right. How are the young players supposed to get better if a coach needs to win that bad.

I can't think of many scenarios where a senior should ever play JV. Can't imagine what rationale there would be for a star player to play a moment of JV, ever.

If a kid is starting on Varsity and is a Jr, there should be very few instances where they should be playing JV. In some circumstances, I can see a freshman or sophomore starter playing some JV due to number issues.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby B-oldtimer » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:24 pm

I have seen this develop over the last 10 years or so here especially with some schools. I don't like it very much can see it if it is numbers problem for some the real small schools and even then I question this. I saw it at our school in girls basketball to point where number of girls just quit playing because they had so little playing time because of this practice. My daughter went through this when top 7 players for A squad were all juniors or less they had these girls all play 2 quarters of B squad. This left 10 other girls on B squad with remaining time to play it got down to these girls played less than 2 quarters a night and many felt they were falling behind because lack of playing time. I know one time one of the other schools that does same thing it was like 6 quarter varsity game both schools playing their A squads in the B squad game.
When I was in school if you were varsity starter you didn't play b squad game unless there was number shortage like whole bunch of kids were sick and missing and not enough numbers for the B squad game. The B squad game was to develop the kids that were not playing or getting much time playing A squad. Now the philosophy is to develop A squad and younger players have to just fight for playing time and improve on their own. I think its short sided and eventually leads to numbers problems for the whole program. I can see it now with our school and neighboring school that has done this for some time both will or have experienced numbers and participation problems.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby LBC » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:00 pm

The thing that coaches fail to realize is that JV is about developing younger players. Every minute a varsity player plays JV that is time away from a younger player. Then some of these schools wonder why they can't field BB teams anymore? It's because you have to take care of your future! The only time I see it permissible for a varsity to see any JV time is to gain some confidence early in the year, especially if the player is a freshmen. Another reason I hate the practice though, is I sincerely believe that six quarters a night to too much. It wears players down, and, they are not as fresh as they should be in the varsity game. As a whole, I am completely against this practice. Call me old school also.
LBC
NDPreps Reserve

Postby MTfan4life » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:50 am

I always assumed this rule was universal, but it must be different in ND than MT. I know in Montana, you can't start on varsity if you have played at all that day. We used to play in a MT/ND jv tournament each year and the championship saturday would always be tough, because we only had 11 out for basketball the one year. I remember only six could play in the championship game because we needed 5 guys to start later that night.
MTfan4life
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:34 am

MTfan4life wrote:I always assumed this rule was universal, but it must be different in ND than MT. I know in Montana, you can't start on varsity if you have played at all that day. We used to play in a MT/ND jv tournament each year and the championship saturday would always be tough, because we only had 11 out for basketball the one year. I remember only six could play in the championship game because we needed 5 guys to start later that night.

South Dakota has the same type of thing. They word it as "It is suggested that a player who plays JV doesn't start Varsity".
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Return to Boys