Region 1

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Region 1

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:57 pm

I'm being neutral here on your back and forth topic...

this is just my opinion from watching Region 1 the last couple of years. No coach has gotten more out of his players and has added excitement in his community than Kraft. The players respond to him. They have a lot of defensive intensity. They mix things up. A lot of coaches in Class B basketball just stick to the "let's play nothing but zone defense" mantra. Defense should not be about relaxing, hoping for a rebound, and spending energy on offense. Pressure Defense is the difference between good & great teams and it is taught by great coaches; but of course you need the athletes. Coach Kraft has something going and others should really take note.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby district2fanog » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:03 pm

UNDSiouxfan wrote:I'm being neutral here on your back and forth topic...

this is just my opinion from watching Region 1 the last couple of years. No coach has gotten more out of his players and has added excitement in his community than Kraft. The players respond to him. They have a lot of defensive intensity. They mix things up. A lot of coaches in Class B basketball just stick to the "let's play nothing but zone defense" mantra. Defense should not be about relaxing, hoping for a rebound, and spending energy on offense. Pressure Defense is the difference between good & great teams and it is taught by great coaches; but of course you need the athletes. Coach Kraft has something going and others should really take note.

Are you trying to say Enderlin plays pressure Defense? FightingHawks fan, you are off on this one.

On a different note Northern Cass and Enderlin are my favorites in the region. The new co-op will we interesting down South.
district2fanog
NDPreps Reserve

Postby wan2bqb » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:21 pm

Ill weigh in on this. Kraft has proven himself a more than competent coach. Lots of quality coaches in Region 1 but talent goes a long way. As for defense its much easier to play tough defense if you have talent and depth too many small schools are forced to play zone because they don't have a bench and fear foul trouble. Also kids that play tough defense are also asked to play offense when many might only have a couple of talented kids. Not making excuses just observations.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:03 am

I personally think Kraft is a good coach but I don't think I would rank him in the top 4 of district 2 last year. That isn't a knock on him. I think that district 2 had incredible depth and talent in the coaching ranks. I'm not going to give my opinion of all the coaches in the region, but I will say I believe the best coach is Jay Kocha of Maple Valley. I also think Card does a wonderful job at Oak Grove. I feel pretty confident saying that if Coach Card coached FCT last year he would have led them exactly Zero wins.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Statguy7 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:54 pm

I would also throw Brad Woel name in there with Kocka and Card
Statguy7
NDPreps Reserve

Postby district2fanog » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:07 pm

I heard the new Central Cass coach is doing a great job so far. They might be the dark horse.

Nothing against the Kindred coach. But i heard he knows more about football and baseball.

Our Grovers do not look good right now. If things fall into place we could be legit at the end of the year.
district2fanog
NDPreps Reserve

Postby d_fense » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:54 pm

Why doesn't he do something with their football team than? Personally I would rank Brad #3 in old district 2.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby district2fanog » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:15 am

Any scores surprise you in Region 1 yet? We should of beat Lisbon last night. We are young, but improving. I think rankings go.

1. Enderlin
2. NC
3. CC
4. Mil/NS
5. Hank
district2fanog
NDPreps Reserve

Postby wan2bqb » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:22 pm

district2fanog wrote:Any scores surprise you in Region 1 yet? We should of beat Lisbon last night. We are young, but improving. I think rankings go.

1. Enderlin
2. NC
3. CC
4. Mil/NS
5. Hank

My top 5 stay close to the same:
1. Milnor-North Sargent
2.Northern Cass
3. Central Cass
4. Enderlin
5.Hankinson
With Lisbon and Oak Grove nipping at the heals.

M-NS has wins over LLMM, Maple Valley, and Hankinson. NC has quality wins too but I think M-NS is playing better than expected early in the year, have also played without two players that will be back after the first if the year. (Kaufman and Marlette) so they get the nod. Central Cass seems to have it together so they get third. Enderlin is fourth because they were not dominating and struggled with Lisbon through three quarters. Hankinson is tough and Cody is a stud but don't have the depth to push to the top. Lisbon could be interesting come tournament time. Oak Grove haven't seen enough to know but lost to Lisbon so they fall behind them.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:03 pm

Surprising score is Maple Valley over LLM 42-38. LLM has a lot of guys back this year. This really shows the depth and balance of Region 1 overall. Maple Valley has been in all of their games so far this year and they'll definitely get a few wins along the way.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby d_fense » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:02 pm

d_fense wrote:Region 1 thoughts....
1. Northern Cass & Milnor/North Sargent

3. Enderlin

4. Hankinson
5. Central Cass

6. Richland
7. Lisbon
8. Maple Valley

9. Oak Grove
10. Kindred
11. Wyndmere Lidgerwood

12. Sargent Central
13. F-C-T

From what has happened early this season I would keep my top 2 the same, and push Central Cass up to 3 for now (I struggle because I am not sure how quality of a win the Thompson game was for them. Thompson didn't play very well vs a traditionally poor Sacred Heart team last night.) Enderlin surely didn't impress vs Lisbon, but I am cutting them some slack because it was their first game. Hankinson has lost 2 games to North Dakota competition, but I don't think any team has played two games against stronger teams yet this young season (including Hettinger Scranton). I'm not sure if I put Richland to high or not. It is early enough that I am going to leave them where I have them. My feelings on my 6,7, and 8 were that they were really close. I put Lisbon ahead of MV mostly based on potential with the big guy in the middle and their experienced guards. Right now I think Maple Valley is better than Lisbon by little (4-8points). I think Oak Grove, Kindred, and W/L are right about what I expected from them. Sargent Central and FCT are both playing a bit better than I expected them to. I would still take SC over FCT, but I could see either of them beating my 9,10, or 11 if they caught one of those teams on an off night and they were hot themselves.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby wan2bqb » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:14 pm

Ok d_fense we are on the same page. I agree with your assesment but i am going to hold you to a higher standard. Time to pick a 1 and 2. They cant share it. Interested in your opinion.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby ND-is-#1 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:47 am

Here are my thoughts through the first few games..

1. Milnor/North Sargent
2. Northern Cass

3. Central Cass
4. Enderlin
5. Hankinson

6. Lisbon
7. Maple Valley
8. Richland

9. Oak Grove
10. Kindred
11. W/L
12. Sargent Central
13. FCT

M/N-S has been the most impressive so far with three solid wins. Northern Cass is right behind them with good wins. Enderlin struggled to get by Lisbon and lost to a MN team so I have them behind Central Cass who has played well so far. Hankinson is a talented team that will be in every game they play. Look for Richland, Lisbon, Maple Valley and possibly Oak Grove to possibly move up and get some region wins.
ND-is-#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:54 am

wan2bqb wrote:Ok d_fense we are on the same page. I agree with your assesment but i am going to hold you to a higher standard. Time to pick a 1 and 2. They cant share it. Interested in your opinion.

Alright. If I had to pick between 1 & 2 right now, I would say the advantage would go to M/NS. I feel it is much easier to justify putting them ahead of Northern Cass than going the other way around. I'll first give some reasons why someone could put N.C. at #1. A) Logan Nelson is the best shooter in the region. If a team gets really hot from 3 they can be incredibly difficult to beat. And, if you have the best shooter in the region, your team may get really hot from 3. B) The overall athleticism of their team, especially their quickness, is very impressive. C) Cody Springer. In Cody, they have a boy who has more experience than any player currently playing in the region. Experience does matter. In watching the first couple games, Cody really struggled. I'm not sure why. Maybe he is just deferring to teammates to give them valuable experience, or maybe he just had a couple bad games. He did bounce back vs Ada, MN, which I did not make it to.
Reasons why I put M/N/S #1. A) Jake Hanson. B) Mason Olsen and Dawson K. (Dawson will be eligible to play starting next game). What these two boys provide is not just size, but size with talent. N.C. struggled with Cody Mauch's size, and Hankinson's ability to score inside, and out rebounding N.C. nearly coast N.C. the game. (I have not seen stats from the game. But watching it, it sure seemed like Hankinson took it to them on the boards). C) Ryder Goolsbey, who is very athletic. It surprised me that he has been playing point for them. He doesn't handle the ball as well as Jake, but he is a willing passer and crazy athletic. Ryder needs to do a better job limiting turnovers (about 12 in the last 2 games), but according to Max Preps he had a triple double vs Maple Valley, scoring 12 points and collecting 10 rebounds and 10 assists. D) And this <------"D" stands for defense. I don't think that they are a really good defense yet, but with the athletes and size they are able to put out on the court they should be able to play any style of defense and make it work for them, just because of the athletes they will have playing.

Those are some of the things I like about each team, and why I think M/N/S has an advantage over N.C.
Last edited by d_fense on Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby district2fanog » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:47 pm

Enderlin has to be the favorite right now. They stuck it to a good athletic NCASS. The only other team that can play with Enderlin is Central Cass. MN/NS is not there yet. Hank is a few players away.
district2fanog
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ChickenWing » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:17 pm

district2fanog wrote:Enderlin has to be the favorite right now. They stuck it to a good athletic NCASS. The only other team that can play with Enderlin is Central Cass. MN/NS is not there yet. Hank is a few players away.

Also impressed with Enderlin. Lingren and Hurlburt look good. Why is MNS not there yet though?
ChickenWing
NDPreps Reserve

Postby wan2bqb » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:18 pm

ChickenWing wrote:
district2fanog wrote:Enderlin has to be the favorite right now. They stuck it to a good athletic NCASS. The only other team that can play with Enderlin is Central Cass. MN/NS is not there yet. Hank is a few players away.

Also impressed with Enderlin. Lingren and Hurlburt look good. Why is MNS not there yet though?

I too am curious to hear why you think M-NS is not there yet? Do tell. I believe all the teams have room for improvement but I see the host of the Barnes County Tournament disagrees with you as M-NS is seeded first with Enderlin as the # 2 seed.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby ND-is-#1 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:44 am

After watching the Enderlin/NC game I too have Enderlin as my favorite to win the region. Lindgren and Hurlburt are arguably the two most athletic guys in the region and they have solid guys to play with them. You do have to question their consistency after a loss to a bad Sacred Heart team (MN), but I believe with their size, skill and athleticism they have the most potential to be the best team in the region. NC, M-NS, and CC aren't far behind Enderlin. NC is very athletic and have a couple good shooters but they lack size to match up with Enderlin and M-NS. Imo M-NS is next best team that could arguably be the favorite as well, they too are very athletic. Hansen and Olsen are a tough due to stop along with solid role players as well, very similar to Enderlin. M-NS would match up great with Enderlin and I hope to see them face each other in the BCT Championship, if they both make it that is. I haven't seen CC play yet but from what I've heard I would put them with NC.

My early season top 5...
1. Enderlin
2. M-NS
3. Northern Cass
4. Central Cass
5 Hankison
ND-is-#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby wan2bqb » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:44 am

I agree nobody has shown they are heads and shoulders above anyone. Its a five team race in my opinion but to say one team is far and away the best in the region is a disservice to everyone. Right now each has shown very little. Enderlin has been inconsistent, M-NS hasn't been challenged, NC is too reliant on a couple to pull them through, CC I haven't seen but appear too small to play with the bigs from M-NS and Enderlin. Hankinson lacks the depth to make a run, at this point in the season. Still early.....my order as of right now is:

1.M-NS- Until they lose they get this spot
2. Central Cass- Ditto....until they lose
3. Enderlin- by way of their NC win
4. Northern Cass- by way of their win over Hankinson
5.Hankinson- Next best in the region...potential but need more depth

Still way too early in the season to say how this is going to turn out but I think we are in for some terrific basketball this year and the super regional format is going to make it even more interesting.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby wan2bqb » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:24 pm

Just watched the M-NS vs Lisbon game and walked away more than a fair bit perturbed. Since when did three steps before dribbling, forearm shivers in the paint, multiple steps like a layup but then dishing off, the euro step plus a hop and a skip and swatting at eveything put up like Ray Rice swinging at his wife become legitimate basketball plays. That was one of....nope that was the worst officiated game I have ever witnessed. (P.S. I truely like two f the refs involved and generally think they do a good job) It wasnt one sided and I understand that officiating is a thankless job but come on. There are three of you out there help each other out. I realize they emphasize that you each have an area to watch but you HAVE TO CONTROL THE GAME. That was a rugby scrum and unfortunately i fear a young man from Lisbon may have been seriously injured. It wasnt a lot of contact and it wasnt malicious i give both teams and coaches credit for trying and succeeding at keeping it from escalating too far but that said the officials should have done it much earlier. Once again I credit coach Mark and coach Gleason for trying to keep it sensible but you allow yong men to play "schoolyard ball" they will emulated what they see in tv. Swatting at every shot trying to send it the third row, traveling, carrying the ball, and defense that would make Bill Lambier blush. I will jump off the soap box. Congrats to both teams for keeping their cool. I hope the young man is alright and i hope i see better officiating the rest of the year.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby EHS1998 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:17 am

Praying the player is ok as well!
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby district2fanog » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:57 pm

top 4 random order
1. Enderlin
2. MNS
3. CC
4. NC

Best of the worst
5. Hank

6. Kindred
7. MV
8. Lisbon
9.W/L
10.OG
11. Richland
12. SC
13. FCT
district2fanog
NDPreps Reserve

Postby The12thMan » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:31 pm

wan2bqb wrote:Just watched the M-NS vs Lisbon game and walked away more than a fair bit perturbed. Since when did three steps before dribbling, forearm shivers in the paint, multiple steps like a layup but then dishing off, the euro step plus a hop and a skip and swatting at eveything put up like Ray Rice swinging at his wife become legitimate basketball plays. That was one of....nope that was the worst officiated game I have ever witnessed. (P.S. I truely like two f the refs involved and generally think they do a good job) It wasnt one sided and I understand that officiating is a thankless job but come on. There are three of you out there help each other out. I realize they emphasize that you each have an area to watch but you HAVE TO CONTROL THE GAME. That was a rugby scrum and unfortunately i fear a young man from Lisbon may have been seriously injured. It wasnt a lot of contact and it wasnt malicious i give both teams and coaches credit for trying and succeeding at keeping it from escalating too far but that said the officials should have done it much earlier. Once again I credit coach Mark and coach Gleason for trying to keep it sensible but you allow yong men to play "schoolyard ball" they will emulated what they see in tv. Swatting at every shot trying to send it the third row, traveling, carrying the ball, and defense that would make Bill Lambier blush. I will jump off the soap box. Congrats to both teams for keeping their cool. I hope the young man is alright and i hope i see better officiating the rest of the year.

With all the negatives you took away from the game, may I ask if you took away any positives?
The12thMan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby wan2bqb » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:40 pm

The12thMan wrote:
wan2bqb wrote:Just watched the M-NS vs Lisbon game and walked away more than a fair bit perturbed. Since when did three steps before dribbling, forearm shivers in the paint, multiple steps like a layup but then dishing off, the euro step plus a hop and a skip and swatting at eveything put up like Ray Rice swinging at his wife become legitimate basketball plays. That was one of....nope that was the worst officiated game I have ever witnessed. (P.S. I truely like two f the refs involved and generally think they do a good job) It wasnt one sided and I understand that officiating is a thankless job but come on. There are three of you out there help each other out. I realize they emphasize that you each have an area to watch but you HAVE TO CONTROL THE GAME. That was a rugby scrum and unfortunately i fear a young man from Lisbon may have been seriously injured. It wasnt a lot of contact and it wasnt malicious i give both teams and coaches credit for trying and succeeding at keeping it from escalating too far but that said the officials should have done it much earlier. Once again I credit coach Mark and coach Gleason for trying to keep it sensible but you allow yong men to play "schoolyard ball" they will emulated what they see in tv. Swatting at every shot trying to send it the third row, traveling, carrying the ball, and defense that would make Bill Lambier blush. I will jump off the soap box. Congrats to both teams for keeping their cool. I hope the young man is alright and i hope i see better officiating the rest of the year.

With all the negatives you took away from the game, may I ask if you took away any positives?

Yes I came away believing that M-NS will be a match up night mare for anyone in the region. Their depth will allow them to ply uptempo and puh the ball whenever they would like, Lisbon is much improved from last year but depth behinwhPithey, Ward, and Lau will make it difficult to compete for four quarters. I did hear that the lisbon player only had a sprain which is great news. All my negatives were about the officiating. And thinking back maybe i should have kept my disgust to myself. But lately i have been feeling that three refs instead of two has been making it worse. And the boys will push the limit of whats allowed no matter what. You let them get away with loppy defens and ball handling they will do whatever is allowed. Once again i reiterate i dont believe it was the teams themselves or the coaches more a reflection of what the officials were allowing.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby WEhaveAproblem » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:40 pm

1. MNS- most athletic team in the region. Clicking pretty good so far for not playing with each other in basketball.
2. Enderlin- Almost got it last year but think they will fall short again.
3. Central Cass- They are clicking right now and would think that will continue.
WEhaveAproblem
NDPreps Reserve

PreviousNext

Return to Boys