Region 1

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Region 1

Postby ChickenWing » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:00 am

Some other player that could be decent
Alix Wisnewski Jr. W-L
Traver Flaa Sr. Richland
Cooper Lingen Jr. Richland
ChickenWing
NDPreps Reserve

Postby wan2bqb » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:22 pm

The12thMan wrote:Here is my top 15 list:
1.Grady Bresnahan Sr. Central Cass.
2.Graham Hurlburt Sr. Enderlin
3.Jake Hanson Jr. MNS
4.Cody Springer Sr. Northern Cass
5.Masen Olsen Sr. MNS
6.Logan Nelson Jr. Northern Cass
7.Bailey Hernandez Sr. Hankinson
8.Adolfo Vasquez Sr. Wyndmere Lidgerwood
9.Austin Pithey Sr. Lisbon
10.Cody Mauch Jr. Hankinson
11.Nick Mauch Jr. Hankinson
12.Peter Lindgren Jr. Enderlin
13.Brady Heyen Sr. Richland
14.Brook Bergh Sr. Sargent Central
15.Wyatt Harles So. Wyndmere Lidgerwood

While I appreciate your opinion and every player mentioned is deserving of recognition I think your list might just be a little off. Grady is talented but nobody could or should put him over Jake, Graham or Cody Springer. Also to include 3 players from Hankinson in your top 15 mean I would assume you think Hankinson is the team to beat? Also I think Wyatt is a fine young player but to put him over many others that have proven over and over that they belong is assinign.

1.Grady Bresnahan Sr. Central Cass. talented, fast as heck, good point, don't believe he can carry the load
2.Graham Hurlburt Sr. Enderlin- Big, pure shooter need to work down low for them to be successful
3.Jake Hanson Jr. MNS- Quick, mentally tough, hard nosed some say stubborn needs to rely on those aroung him
4.Cody Springer Sr. Northern Cass- Strong, good hands will be a force
5.Masen Olsen Sr. MNS- Big, talented, to soft, need to develop inside game
6.Logan Nelson Jr. Northern Cass- fast , smart, fun, fun fun to watch
7.Bailey Hernandez Sr. Hankinson- Great kid, super quick not sure he belongs in top 15
8.Adolfo Vasquez Sr. Wyndmere Lidgerwood Big inside presence got lost too often last year
9.Austin Pithey Sr. Lisbon- super talented, strong, need to be stronger mentally when it counts
10.Cody Mauch Jr. Hankinson- Could be a sleeper year for him, lots of talent and drive
11.Nick Mauch Jr. Hankinson- great handles, needs to develop outside shot
12.Peter Lindgren Jr. Enderlin- Long. good shooter, plays defense higher on my list
13.Brady Heyen Sr. Richland- Quick, smart needs to be more consistent
14.Brook Bergh Sr. Sargent Central- great shooter, needs to play more D, can also lose it when pressured
15.Wyatt Harles So. Wyndmere Lidgerwood- Lanky, good shooter, not ready for this list.

My list would be:

1. Jake Hanson MNS
2. Graham Hurlburt Enderlin
3. Cody Springer- NC
4. Grady Bresnehan- CC
5. Mason Olson- MNS
6. Logen Nelson NC
7. Pete Lindgren Enderlin
8. Devon Foster- Oak Grove
9. Ryder Goolsby- MNS
10. Adolfo Vasquez- WL
11. Cody Mauch- Hankinson
12.Austin Pithey- Lisbon
13. Brant Bohmert- NC
14. Brooke Berg- SC
15. TIE Riley Lau- Lisbon- Nick Mauch Hank- Brady Heyen- Quincy Marlette- MNS only because he has a knee injury otherwise he jump into # 11.

Shoot away let me know your thought.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:25 pm

I'll shoot away wan2bqb :)
I do like your list and appreciate your comments on players. I do agree with most, but not all your comments. I'd say this about your list...
Devon Foster is to high. He's a nice athlete with good size. Reasons I have him 6 sports lower than you include the fact that he is a true post player, but doesn't have dominant size. I'm guessing he is in the 6'2-6'3" range. He is a strong 2 foot leaper who can face up and hit some midrange shots, rebound well, and move his feet on defense. But, 2 me, if you are going to be a top 10 player in the region, you need to be able to dominate a game. Not all games, but some games.
Riley Lau is to low. To me, he has what Devon is missing. SIZE. He is a big kid. I have not seen him for quite a while. I'd guess that he has put some time in on his game. I felt it was clear he did between his sophomore and junior seasons. I'd guess he's around 6'7". That does matter in Class B basketball. That size isn't something you see very often and it causes problems for teams.
The only other player we have ranked a fair ways apart is Cody Mauch. You mention that it could be a sleeper year for him. I just wouldn't say that he is a sleeper, he is a stud. He has the size, skills, and drive to dominate. I do see him as the low post player in the region.

Like I said, I agree with most of your list and think your top 4 are spot on.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Jack Squad » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:34 pm

My list would be:
1. Jake Hanson-Milnor/NS- Jake has the ability to take over any game at any time and can shoot from anywhere on the court. The new co-op is only going to make him better as he will have more around him this year to take the burden off his shoulders.
2. Grady Bresnahan-Central Cass- Very similar player to his older brother, quick, fast, can penetrate very well. Will take more shots this year that last because they lost Breske and Voss. Could be the number 1 guy by the end of the year.
3. Graham Hurlburt-Enderlin- lots of length, great shooter, will be a tough matchup for most teams because he plays outside the paint so much.
4. Cody Springer-Northern Cass- Everything you look for in a leader. He has the ability to score 30 points a night, but chooses not to because he gets the team involved and makes everyone around him better.
5. Cody Mauch-Hankinson- Cody is going to be one of the top players in the region by season’s end. He had a great summer developing his skills and getting bigger physically. He grew another couple inches from last year. He WILL be a dominate threat in the post this season.
6. Mason Olson-Milnor/NS- Mason is also going to benefit from the new co-op as well. He will have the region’s best point guard giving him the ball on a consistent basis. Could be the complete player if he REALLY uses his size to play defense and control the paint.
7. Adolfo Vasquez-Wyndmere/Lidgerwood- The best post defender in the region, as well as the best shot blocker. He will take more shots this year after losing 3 solid seniors from last year.
8. Peter Lindgren-Enderlin- Peter is a player that I feel got better every single game last year and I don’t see that stopping. The future looks bright for Peter.
9. Logan Nelson-Northern Cass- Logan has a tremendous 3-pt shot, and gets better with every shot. Teams will need to adjust their defense to combat his range.
10. Nick Mauch-Hankinson- Nick plays in a similar way to Logan, great point guard. The kind of guy you would want dribbling the ball at the end of the game. He worked on his outside game a lot this summer and I see him taking more shots than last year.
11. Riley Lau-Lisbon- If Riley uses his size, he will be very tough to stop this year in the post.
12. Brook Bergh-Sargent Central- Good shooter. He will be most of Sargent Central’s offense again this winter. Could be an all-around player if he plays better defense.
13. Brady Heyen-Richland- An athlete. Great shooter who plays on a well-balanced team. Will have a lot of momentum coming into the hoops season after winning state in football.
14. Devon Foster-Oak Grove- I think that Devon’s talents were overlooked last year because of Kretchman and Adams. Now that they have graduated, he will be the face of that team.
15. Bailey Hernandez-Hankinson- The dark horse of the region. Very quick player, is one of the best in the region in transition offense. Needs to improve on his consistency from long range.
**Just like everyone else, Quincey Marlatt would be in top 10 if he doesn’t tear his ACL

1. M/NS
2. Northern Cass
3. Enderlin
4. Hankinson

5. Central Cass
6. Kindred
7. Richland

8. Oak Grove
9. Lisbon
10. W/L
11. Maple Valley

12. Sargent Central
13. FCT
Jack Squad
NDPreps Reserve

Postby wan2bqb » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:29 am

d_fense wrote:I'll shoot away wan2bqb :)
I do like your list and appreciate your comments on players. I do agree with most, but not all your comments. I'd say this about your list...
Devon Foster is to high. He's a nice athlete with good size. Reasons I have him 6 sports lower than you include the fact that he is a true post player, but doesn't have dominant size. I'm guessing he is in the 6'2-6'3" range. He is a strong 2 foot leaper who can face up and hit some midrange shots, rebound well, and move his feet on defense. But, 2 me, if you are going to be a top 10 player in the region, you need to be able to dominate a game. Not all games, but some games.
Riley Lau is to low. To me, he has what Devon is missing. SIZE. He is a big kid. I have not seen him for quite a while. I'd guess that he has put some time in on his game. I felt it was clear he did between his sophomore and junior seasons. I'd guess he's around 6'7". That does matter in Class B basketball. That size isn't something you see very often and it causes problems for teams.
The only other player we have ranked a fair ways apart is Cody Mauch. You mention that it could be a sleeper year for him. I just wouldn't say that he is a sleeper, he is a stud. He has the size, skills, and drive to dominate. I do see him as the low post player in the region.

Like I said, I agree with most of your list and think your top 4 are spot on.

I agree Foster is a big leap at 8 but I think he will be forced to try and take over games because other than Slagle I am not sure he has much help. Although Oak Grove always seems to find somebody.
Riley is a good kid. Nice game and could be dominant. Problem is I haven't seen that mentality from him yet. Not where he just tries to take over. Too easily discouraged by missing a few.
Cody is a stud. Has been for a while. Problem is we haven't seen what he can do when he is relied on at this level. I think he could be one of the top posts also but his development depends more on his teammates than anyone else on the list. Nick, Bailey, and Kendrick need to play well to allow Cody to develop into what he can be which has a very high ceiling.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndmn » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:36 am

Looking forward to a great year and believe that this selections I've seen on this post are pretty right on....Graham, Grady and Jake would be my Top 3 and would have the 2 Codys and Aldolfo right there....have been impressed with Logan but will be interesting to see if he has developed more physically and has the ability to drive to the lane and finish....Devon Foster is dunking now and has been working on his overall game and look to see good things from him. Slagle will get an opportunity to do more offensively than prior year(s) with Kretchman and Adams gone and should provide some high intensity on defense ....Bakkegard, Pulst and Christianson are some boys to keep an eye out for as they are solid shooters and are athletic.
I'm not as familiar with some of the other names on the list but look forward to seeing them more this year...

final thought...really interested to see if the MNS coop can meld together and be something special and if Enderlin and NC progress from where they ended last year....love Class B b-ball
ndmn
NDPreps Reserve

Postby wan2bqb » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:40 pm

MNS has the distinct advantage over other first year coops as they have been playing football together since the 5th grade. Also the girls did it last year so some of the hiccups that come with a co-op (ie travel, gym time, and such) have been worked out. Although I do believe they have a ton on kids out and have to try and figure that all out. I was told almost 40 boys 9-12. Coach Gleason has his hands full, high expectations and talent abound. I think anything less than competing for a shot at state would be a disappointment.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndmn » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:26 pm

thanks for insight....will be fun....is the knee okay on the Milnor athlete?
ndmn
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:33 pm

wan2bqb wrote:MNS has the distinct advantage over other first year coops as they have been playing football together since the 5th grade. Also the girls did it last year so some of the hiccups that come with a co-op (ie travel, gym time, and such) have been worked out. Although I do believe they have a ton on kids out and have to try and figure that all out. I was told almost 40 boys 9-12. Coach Gleason has his hands full, high expectations and talent abound. I think anything less than competing for a shot at state would be a disappointment.

With those numbers, why was the coop necessary?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby wan2bqb » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:43 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
wan2bqb wrote:MNS has the distinct advantage over other first year coops as they have been playing football together since the 5th grade. Also the girls did it last year so some of the hiccups that come with a co-op (ie travel, gym time, and such) have been worked out. Although I do believe they have a ton on kids out and have to try and figure that all out. I was told almost 40 boys 9-12. Coach Gleason has his hands full, high expectations and talent abound. I think anything less than competing for a shot at state would be a disappointment.

With those numbers, why was the coop necessary?

Because Girls sports are struggling. Girls Basketball has 19 girls. 3 Seniors, 3 Juniors, 3 Sophmores and 9 Freshman. The boys have large Senior and Junior classes but after that it falls dramatically. Basically they needed it for football, Girls basketball and soon Girls volleyball and Boys basketball so why not bite the bullet and do it all at once. Actually last year it was a emergency co-op for Girls basketball only because without it Milnor would have not fielded a team. Also some of those boys are out because they have always went out. If they didn't they wouldn't have numbers. Some may be better suited to doing other things.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:47 am

Region 1 thoughts....
1. Northern Cass & Milnor/North Sargent

3. Enderlin

4. Hankinson
5. Central Cass

6. Richland
7. Lisbon
8. Maple Valley

9. Oak Grove
10. Kindred
11. Wyndmere Lidgerwood

12. Sargent Central
13. F-C-T
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Statguy7 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:12 pm

You have OG way to low should be atleast 6th at the lowest. M/NS is head and shoulders above the rest. Could be interesting come tourney time MV and Kindred's coaches always have their teams playing well when it matters most could see a few upsets.
Statguy7
NDPreps Reserve

Postby d_fense » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:13 pm

Statguy7 wrote:You have OG way to low should be atleast 6th at the lowest. M/NS is head and shoulders above the rest. Could be interesting come tourney time MV and Kindred's coaches always have their teams playing well when it matters most could see a few upsets.

Ok. How would you rank the region? You can PM me your thoughts if you don't want to post them for all to see. I think Oak Grove could finish in 6th. I can't see them beating any of my top 5, although anything is possible on any given night in athletics. With the experience my 6-8 have returning, I just don't see OG getting into the top half of the region. I think you are correct about the coaches you sighted. I feel that old district 2 has as strong a group of coaches as any district in the state has had in many years. Grammar policy please cut me some slack if has had is incorrect. Not sure about that one :)

I agree with what you say about Milnor/NS. Class A people seem to be pretty high on West Fargo Schyenne Mustangs. I saw M/NS handle them pretty easily this summer (it was the top WF team). But, the Mustangs just scrimmaged Northern Cass, and they also took care of the big school. I'm not bright enough to know if this means the Mustangs are over rated, or if these two class B teams are really strong.?.?.?.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Statguy7 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:40 pm

1. M/NS

2. Northern Cass
3. CC
4. Enderlin

5. OG

6.Hankinson
7. Richland
8. Maple Valley
9. Kindred

10 Lisbon
11. W/L
12 SC
13 FCT
Statguy7
NDPreps Reserve

Postby wan2bqb » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:00 am

1 Milnor-North Sargent

2 Northern Cass
3 Enderlin

4 Hankinson
5 Central Cass
6 Richland
7 Lisbon

8 Oak Grove
9 Kindred
10 Maple Valley
11 Wyndmere- Lidgerwood

12 Sargent Central
13 Fairmount- Campbell- Tintah

I will go out on a limb and virtually guarantee that the top three on my list are the three teams that get the byes in the first round of regions.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:44 am

My preseason list:

1. M/NS

2. Enderlin

3. Northern Cass
4. Hankinson
5. Central Cass
6. Wyndmere-Lidgerwood

7. Richland
8. Kindred
9. Oak Grove

10. Lisbon
11. Maple Valley
12. SC
13. FCT

Milnor-N/S & Enderlin should be the favorites here based on talent. It will be very interesting to see how the talent gels for Milnor-N/S. They have a very talented team on paper, as does Enderlin and they got close last year.

Northern Cass returns a lot of talented guard and forwards, but size could be an issue come playoff time. They lost a 6'5" guy and a 6'7" guy who provided defense and shot-blocking. If teams try to run with them, they'll be in trouble because NC can score. Hankinson returns a lot, and they will contend. Cody Mauch/Bailey Hernandez/Nick Mauch are 3 good players and Lenzen plays good D. Central Cass - never count Bresnahan out. He may be an all-stater this year. There hasn't been a lot of respect on here for Wyndmere-Lidgerwood, but they are a team that could surprise. The younger Harles is going to be a good player, Wisniewski is talented and Vasquez is one of the top players in the region.

Richland - we all know how talented of athletes they are with their FB season. They will be a tough defensive team as will Kindred. I really don't know enough about 9-13 but this is how I see it based on what these teams lost in graduation last year.

It'll be a great year for Region 1 and Class B overall. There is a lot of talent in Region 1 and any of the top 6-8 teams could beat anybody on any given night. Good luck to all teams!
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby district2fanog » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:03 am

My top coaches in the region:

1. OG
2. MV
3. Lisbon
4. Hank
5. NC
district2fanog
NDPreps Reserve

Postby packers21 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:16 am

district2fanog wrote:My top coaches in the region:

1. OG
2. MV
3. Lisbon
4. Hank
5. NC

Never would of guessed by your username you would think OGs coach is the best in the Region
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:25 am

packers21 wrote:

1. OG
2. MV
3. Lisbon
4. Hank
5. NC

Never would of guessed by your username you would think OGs coach is the best in the Region

Not sure how Kraft (Enderlin) doesn't crack the Top 5 list! Kindred's coach should be considered one of the best in the Region also.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby district2fanog » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:35 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
packers21 wrote:

1. OG
2. MV
3. Lisbon
4. Hank
5. NC

Not sure how Kraft (Enderlin) doesn't crack the Top 5 list! Kindred's coach should be considered one of the best in the Region also.

Why would Enderlin's coach crack the top 5? Kindred's coach seems to do an ok job.
district2fanog
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:54 am

district2fanog wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
packers21 wrote:

1. OG
2. MV
3. Lisbon
4. Hank
5. NC

Why would Enderlin's coach crack the top 5? Kindred's coach seems to do an ok job.

Solid teams the past several seasons...while also getting the most out of his players. They've just been slightly 'jinxed' when postseason play begins. Look for Enderlin, once again, to be at or near the top of the region. Before Kraft was at Enderlin, the Eagles had never really done much in District/Regions since they went to State in 1996. Kraft changed the culture of basketball in Enderlin and they continue to pump out solid teams, year after year!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby packers21 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:01 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
district2fanog wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
packers21 wrote:

1. OG
2. MV
3. Lisbon
4. Hank
5. NC

Solid teams the past several seasons...while also getting the most out of his players. They've just been slightly 'jinxed' when postseason play begins. Look for Enderlin, once again, to be at or near the top of the region. Before Kraft was at Enderlin, the Eagles had never really done much in District/Regions since they went to State in 1996. Kraft changed the culture of basketball in Enderlin and they continue to pump out solid teams, year after year!

I think Kraft has done a great job in Enderlin, also CC coach is pretty darn good.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby district2fanog » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:38 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
district2fanog wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
packers21 wrote:

1. OG
2. MV
3. Lisbon
4. Hank
5. NC

Or the reason they have been better is because they finally have some talented players with size? Dont get me wrong, it seems like the guy does a fine job. But the past 3 years they have had some gifted athletes/players.

It should be a fun season.
district2fanog
NDPreps Reserve

Postby packers21 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:08 pm

district2fanog wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
district2fanog wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
packers21 wrote:

1. OG
2. MV
3. Lisbon
4. Hank
5. NC

Or the reason they have been better is because they finally have some talented players with size? Dont get me wrong, it seems like the guy does a fine job. But the past 3 years they have had some gifted athletes/players.

It should be a fun season.

Hahaha what a joke you criticize someone for coaching talent? Any coach considered to be good is because he's or she has been blessed to have talented kids for an extended period of time. A fan of OG saying a coach isn't that good bc he's coached talent (and been successful) honestly might be the most hypocritical thing I've ever read on this site.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:26 pm

I was told by a very successful ND high school coach a few years back that "The difference between a good coach and a great coach is talent."
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Boys