Region 1

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Region 1

Postby ND-is-#1 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:41 am

What are everyone's thoughts on region 1 through the first part of the season?
Here are my thoughts...
District 1 - Pretty much a two team race between Hankinson and W/L

1) Hankinson (8-1) I knew at the beginning of the season this was going to be a good team, and so far they have not disappointed me. Mauch has been very good and has solid players to go around him. They really battled Oak Grove tough and I think now you have to put them in the conversation with the top teams in the region. I think they have a chance to take this region.

2) W/L (6-2) The Warbirds are off to a good start this year and may be the only team in the district with a chance to knock off Hankinson. They is a very solid team all around although they aren't as deep as most coaches would like, that will be their weakness, but I think they will be able to give the top teams in the region a run for their money.

3) Lisbon (3-5) The broncos are off to a fair start. Their big man has improved a lot, although I don't think they will be able to contend with for a district title, they will be in a battle with the remaining teams in the district for the #3 spot.

4) North Sargent (2-6) Off to a rough start this year, lost all they had in Peterson last year. Hanson is a solid player, but will not be able to carry this team.

5) Milnor (2-6) The Bison are off to a rough start as well. Pretty tough when you lose players like Bussman (Valley City State) and Mund. Marlett and Olsen are solid players that might be able to help them hang with some of the better teams.

6) Sargent Central (0-7) The cadets lost almost all of what they had last year. Could be a long year for the Cadets.

7) FCT (0-8) Pretty tough to replace a guy like Burns who pretty much did everything for them. They are a team that plays hard and will continue to get better.

District 2 - I think this is probably the best district in the state with OG, NC, and CC

1) Oak Grove (7-2) I still have the Grovers finishing first in the district even after their loss to NC. Kretchman and Adams are a pretty tough duo with Olson being a good third man and coach Card has the all their role players playing very very well. They have a very good chance to defend their region title.

2) Central Cass (8-0) The Squirrels are off to a great start under their new head coach, just as I had expected. The trio of Breske, Voss, and Bresnahan will be very tough for teams to stop. Bresnahan is a great defender and causes problems for opposing guards. Breske is also a very good defender and as we know all three can put up points and plenty of them. They will give the Grovers all they can handle and maybe a little more.

3) Northern Cass (10-1) NC is off to a great start as well. They are coming off a huge when over Oak Grove. That Nelson kid has been putting up good numbers to go along with Springer. They have a solid post in Dickson who rebounds well for them. I like this team a lot and if they stay hot and continue to shoot the ball well they too will have a good chance of taking home the region championship.

4) Kindred (5-3) The Vikings are off to a better start than I had expected. They have some experience in Andel and Olien and they got Staton back this year, which will help. They play good team ball and as of right now the fourth spot is theirs to lose.

5) Richland (4-4) The Colts are an undersized team, but they play hard and are finding ways to win. I don't think they can contend with the top three teams, but they will battle for that fourth spot in the district.

6) Enderlin (2-7) Enderlin is probably the biggest surprise for me, they are off to a rough start. Coming in I thought they would contend with the top teams. I know they lost a LOT in Lindgren and Dixson, but they still have a lot of talent and height. I'd like to see the Hurlbert kid go inside more, which would open things up for his teammates. If Kraft can get them to play together they could be a very good team come tournament time and battle for that fourth spot.

7) Maple Valley (5-3) The raiders are off to a good start, which isn't a huge surprise to me. Their coach always has them playing good basketball and extremely good defense. Johnson and the younger Richman will have to step up for them to be in contention for a spot in the region tourney.
ND-is-#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:05 pm

I am redoing my top 15 list for region 1. I have seen every team in the region play multiple times this year with the exception of FCT (only once). I have tried to use stats when they have been available to support my opinions, but there is also just experinece and the eye test going on here as well. Feel free to let me know where and why I am wrong. :)

1. Carter Mauch 6’2” senior F/C Hankinson. Carter’s size, strength, and versatility are reasons that I have moved him up to my #1 spot. His ability to finish down low verses larger boys while being able to defend quick guards when needed makes him very valuable.
2. Carter Kretchman 5’9” senior PG Oak Grove. 18.4ppg, 3.7rpg, 6.3apg, 1.8spg. Carter is shooting a very nice 45% from three point range and 42% from two. I struggle not putting him near the top because of how well he has proven that he can play in big moments.
3. Christian Adams 6’1” senior G/F Oak Grove. 18.5ppg, 7.2rpg, 2.5apg, 1.1spg. Christian isn’t shooting the 3 as well as he did last year, but is still at a quality 38% and shooting an outstanding 60% from two. I think Christian is rebounding harder than he did last year corralling just over two and a half more per game. One thing that I like about the Oak Grove players is that they play in a pretty strong region but their out of region games are more difficult than any other teams in the region.
4. Jake Hanson 6’0” sophomore PG North Sargent. 26.0ppg, 8.9rpg, 3.4apg, 2.3spg. Jake is shooting a very nice 47% from three point range and 51% from two. He rebounds very well for a PG and is not playing like an underclassman.
5. Tommy Voss 6’2” senior F Central Cass. Having seen them play for a third time this season, the other night, I am impressed with how Tommy is playing this year. I really thought he was leaving a lot of great opportunities on the court last year by settling for deep shots last year. I think he is really doing a nice job of getting high percentage shots and rebounds from what I have seen this year. He is better than I had previously thought.
6. Cody Springer 6’1” junior G/F Northern Cass. Cody is having a nice season. He is better than last year, even if his numbers are not showing it. He has a real nice group of diverse players around him. This is why they are having so much more success than they have had in quite a few years. Good job Cody!
7. Graham Hurlburt 6’7” junior F Enderlin. 19.8ppg, 9.2rpg, 1.2apg, 0.3spg. Graham is struggling from three point range shooting 28%, but he is taking and hitting more shots from inside the arch hitting 53% from two. Graham is also up 3rpg from last season. Personally I was surprised and disappointed with the first 40% of the season for Enderlin, but Graham has been doing a great job of helping lead them since that point of the season. Enderlin is really playing well right now and I can’t see them not making the regional tournament. I would like to see Graham up his spg. He is so athletic and long he should be at 2+spg.
8. Grady Bresnahan 5’8” junior Central Cass. I can’t think of a quicker player in the region. Handles the ball well and has shot better and more often than last season. I couldn’t find stats to back that last statement up, but in the 3 games I’ve seen, it seems like the case. His brother was incredible and had a different game. But, Grady is without a question a dynamic player that can cause problems on both sides of the floor.
9. Fletcher Andel 6’3”? senior F Kindred. I have really liked what I have seen from Fletcher this year. He has moved up more than any player I ranked early this season. He is versatile scoring down low with his good size and will take occasional 3’s in the flow of the offense. I wouldn’t say he is spectacular, but really good and one thing that really impresses me is how it seems obvious that he is not only a leader, but his teammates look for him in that role.
10. Seth Harles 6’3” senior F W/L. Another team that I couldn’t find stats to back up what I have observed. I’ve watched 2 of their games. Seth is a good player who shoots the ball pretty well. I have been impressed that I don’t recall him taking what I would consider a questionable shot in the games that I have seen. His size also can cause issues at times when he is playing defense. That being said, I would still like to see him rebound a bit more.
11. Kellen Jorgenson, 6’3” F W/L. I have really liked what I have seen from Kellen this year. He really is not only athletic, but really a hard worker. Everyone can spot a player who just works harder than the others. He is one of those boys. He is another pretty big mover on my list.
12. Adam Breske 6’1” senior F Central Cass. Adam is without question a top athlete who works hard. In the games I have watched he has played well, even scoring over 20+ once. I guess I have just been a little more impressed in those particual games with a couple of his teammates. I am sure if he was on the right team he could average 20+ppg.
13. Quincy Marlatt 6’1” senior G Milnor. 15.9ppg, 4.5rpg, 2.4apg, 2.5spg. Quincy has proven to be a top player for Milnor. He is struggling from deep hitting on 23%, but is shooting 45% from two. When I have watched him this season, he has played with good energy on both sides of the floor. I would like to see him cut down on the 3’s a little bit and continue to take it to the rim.
14. Isaac Olson 6’3” senior F Oak Grove. 13.8ppg, 7.0rpg, 1.4apg, 1.4spg. Isaac is having a nice year. He has really moved his 3 point shot percentage up compared to last season. He is 38% from deep and 50% from inside the line. He has really improved at shooting in the flow of the offense and is doing alright on the boards as well.
15. Logan Nelson 5’11” sophomore G Northern Cass. I could not find stats for Logan, so this is just from the eye test. I have really liked what I have seen from Logan this winter. He has really come along since last season, and even from when I was able to watch him this summer. His confidence level is really nice to see in a younger player. He shoots with confidence and really seems to have fun out there. There are a lot of players out there that could take a lesson from Logan and tell their faces that they are having fun. They would be more successful.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:26 am

I agree completely with d_fense on his choice of Carter Mauch being the #1 player in the Region. The Grover duo is very good along with Springer, Hurlburt, Jake Hanson, Harles, and the Central Cass trio but remember; Carter Mauch had 39 pts & 16 Rebounds against Oak Grove and was guarded by Adams most of the game. Region 1 will be a toss-up between Oak Grove, Enderlin, Northern Cass, Central Cass, and Hankinson. W/L is pretty good but depth will be a factor for them. Any of these 5 teams would represent well at state.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby timberwolf » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:43 pm

d_fense wrote:I am redoing my top 15 list for region 1. I have seen every team in the region play multiple times this year with the exception of FCT (only once). I have tried to use stats when they have been available to support my opinions, but there is also just experinece and the eye test going on here as well. Feel free to let me know where and why I am wrong. :)

1. Carter Mauch 6’2” senior F/C Hankinson. Carter’s size, strength, and versatility are reasons that I have moved him up to my #1 spot. His ability to finish down low verses larger boys while being able to defend quick guards when needed makes him very valuable.
2. Carter Kretchman 5’9” senior PG Oak Grove. 18.4ppg, 3.7rpg, 6.3apg, 1.8spg. Carter is shooting a very nice 45% from three point range and 42% from two. I struggle not putting him near the top because of how well he has proven that he can play in big moments.
3. Christian Adams 6’1” senior G/F Oak Grove. 18.5ppg, 7.2rpg, 2.5apg, 1.1spg. Christian isn’t shooting the 3 as well as he did last year, but is still at a quality 38% and shooting an outstanding 60% from two. I think Christian is rebounding harder than he did last year corralling just over two and a half more per game. One thing that I like about the Oak Grove players is that they play in a pretty strong region but their out of region games are more difficult than any other teams in the region.
4. Jake Hanson 6’0” sophomore PG North Sargent. 26.0ppg, 8.9rpg, 3.4apg, 2.3spg. Jake is shooting a very nice 47% from three point range and 51% from two. He rebounds very well for a PG and is not playing like an underclassman.
5. Tommy Voss 6’2” senior F Central Cass. Having seen them play for a third time this season, the other night, I am impressed with how Tommy is playing this year. I really thought he was leaving a lot of great opportunities on the court last year by settling for deep shots last year. I think he is really doing a nice job of getting high percentage shots and rebounds from what I have seen this year. He is better than I had previously thought.
6. Cody Springer 6’1” junior G/F Northern Cass. Cody is having a nice season. He is better than last year, even if his numbers are not showing it. He has a real nice group of diverse players around him. This is why they are having so much more success than they have had in quite a few years. Good job Cody!
7. Graham Hurlburt 6’7” junior F Enderlin. 19.8ppg, 9.2rpg, 1.2apg, 0.3spg. Graham is struggling from three point range shooting 28%, but he is taking and hitting more shots from inside the arch hitting 53% from two. Graham is also up 3rpg from last season. Personally I was surprised and disappointed with the first 40% of the season for Enderlin, but Graham has been doing a great job of helping lead them since that point of the season. Enderlin is really playing well right now and I can’t see them not making the regional tournament. I would like to see Graham up his spg. He is so athletic and long he should be at 2+spg.
8. Grady Bresnahan 5’8” junior Central Cass. I can’t think of a quicker player in the region. Handles the ball well and has shot better and more often than last season. I couldn’t find stats to back that last statement up, but in the 3 games I’ve seen, it seems like the case. His brother was incredible and had a different game. But, Grady is without a question a dynamic player that can cause problems on both sides of the floor.
9. Fletcher Andel 6’3”? senior F Kindred. I have really liked what I have seen from Fletcher this year. He has moved up more than any player I ranked early this season. He is versatile scoring down low with his good size and will take occasional 3’s in the flow of the offense. I wouldn’t say he is spectacular, but really good and one thing that really impresses me is how it seems obvious that he is not only a leader, but his teammates look for him in that role.
10. Seth Harles 6’3” senior F W/L. Another team that I couldn’t find stats to back up what I have observed. I’ve watched 2 of their games. Seth is a good player who shoots the ball pretty well. I have been impressed that I don’t recall him taking what I would consider a questionable shot in the games that I have seen. His size also can cause issues at times when he is playing defense. That being said, I would still like to see him rebound a bit more.
11. Kellen Jorgenson, 6’3” F W/L. I have really liked what I have seen from Kellen this year. He really is not only athletic, but really a hard worker. Everyone can spot a player who just works harder than the others. He is one of those boys. He is another pretty big mover on my list.
12. Adam Breske 6’1” senior F Central Cass. Adam is without question a top athlete who works hard. In the games I have watched he has played well, even scoring over 20+ once. I guess I have just been a little more impressed in those particual games with a couple of his teammates. I am sure if he was on the right team he could average 20+ppg.
13. Quincy Marlatt 6’1” senior G Milnor. 15.9ppg, 4.5rpg, 2.4apg, 2.5spg. Quincy has proven to be a top player for Milnor. He is struggling from deep hitting on 23%, but is shooting 45% from two. When I have watched him this season, he has played with good energy on both sides of the floor. I would like to see him cut down on the 3’s a little bit and continue to take it to the rim.
14. Isaac Olson 6’3” senior F Oak Grove. 13.8ppg, 7.0rpg, 1.4apg, 1.4spg. Isaac is having a nice year. He has really moved his 3 point shot percentage up compared to last season. He is 38% from deep and 50% from inside the line. He has really improved at shooting in the flow of the offense and is doing alright on the boards as well.
15. Logan Nelson 5’11” sophomore G Northern Cass. I could not find stats for Logan, so this is just from the eye test. I have really liked what I have seen from Logan this winter. He has really come along since last season, and even from when I was able to watch him this summer. His confidence level is really nice to see in a younger player. He shoots with confidence and really seems to have fun out there. There are a lot of players out there that could take a lesson from Logan and tell their faces that they are having fun. They would be more successful.

D_fense, I like your list for the most part but I see Kretchman as the top player in the Region with a toss up between Carter Mauch and Christian Adams. Also, I believe Graham should be at the 4 spot, with Springer, Hanson, and Voss following (in that order). Also, how you have managed to leave Masen Olsen out of the mix is baffling! There's not many big's in the state that have his kind of touch. The kid almost single-handedly took down Hankinson in semi's. I also don't really understand why Kellen Jorgeson is so high up on this list..

With that being said here's my list (keep in mind I pay close attention to the player's team leadership, team strength, defense, efficiency (shot %, turnover rate, etc), and stat line):

1. Carter Kretchman (pretty dependable in big games)
2. Carter Mauch (Man amongst boys)
3. Christian Adams (Team leader.. outspoken, physical, and consistent)
4. Graham Hurlburt (Great shooter, size, and basketball IQ)
5. Cody Springer (Growing into the Region's best)
6. Jacob Hanson (Good stats and potential… would be higher on list if team were better)
7. Tommy Voss (Team leader and scorer)
8. Grady Bresnahan (Great athleticism, defense, and facilitation)
9. Fletcher Andel (Good player with high ball IQ… again, on a "so-so" team)
10. Masen Olson (Best post/inside game in the Region offensively.. great touch)
11. Isaac Olson (Expanded his game and improved % but still too slow)
12. Adam Breske (Picks up with the things the other 2 can't)
13. Seth Harles (Good shooter and defense.. stuff poor attitude)
14. Quincy Marlett (Ok shooter better driver.. forces the issue and holds on to ball to long)
15. Logan Nelson (Rising youngster with good hustle, defense, and lots of potential)

Notables:
Bailey Hernandez
Noah Knutson
Richland player (can't think of name)
Blake Richards
Peter Lindgren
Grady Mauch
Brian Schmit (could see him at the 15. spot very easily)
Drew Hansen
Kellen Jorgeson
Grant Lindeman
Ben Hanson
Adolfo Vasquez
Run4Happiness
timberwolf
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:11 pm

I have seen Mason Olson play a number of times, including all three of his games in the district. He did have a very good game vs. Hankinson. If he would have played that way more often, he would be on my list. As far as Kellen Jorgenson goes, I'm surprised he is not on your list. You mention defense, leadership, efficiency, and teams strength. I don't believe there is anyone on either of our top 15 lists that plays defense as well and those other areas you mentioned are strengths of his. I think your list is pretty good, but I am sticking with mine until the season concludes. Thanks for your list and comments. :)
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:53 am

still agree w/d_fense...

and to defend Kellen Jorgenson...He did the best defensive effort I've seen all year against Carter Mauch - who is by far the best player in the Region. Kellen may not throw up offensive numbers, but he is a great all around player and a good kid from what I've heard.

Timberwolf - I would switch your number 1 & 2, with Carter Mauch being #1. Your comment on Mauch being a man amongst boys is right on...he would dominate in any class.
Kretchman may be a more skilled ball player, but for Region 1 Player of the Year Carter Mauch gets the nod. I've talked with many officials who've done Region 1 games and they also agree with my opinion. I've seen many Region 1 games this year, and nobody has commanded the attention of other team's than Mauch. He gets double & triple teamed night in and night out, while still scoring 25-30 a game. Doing all this in quite possibly the best overall Region in the state. It's really too bad he didn't get to play last year, he'd be setting all sorts of records this year.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:23 pm

timberwolf, the players you mentioned are definitely all good players. I do want to throw one statistic your way that can't be denied.

In the Oak Grove vs. Hankinson game:

Carter Kretchman had 20 pts, 7 rebounds.
Christian Adams had 13 pts, 4 rebounds.
These two great players totaled 33 pts, 11 rebounds in that contest.

Carter Mauch had 39 pts, 16 rebounds in this one game. More points and rebounds that the other two combined...impressive to say the least.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby timberwolf » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:59 pm

Undsiouxfan, those are impressive stats for Mauch I can't argue that. You did forget to mention Krtechman had 10 assists to go with 5 steals! Also, Adams fouled out that game and players have off nights. Regardless, I stick with my top 3 list. Also note that points are the main stat but it's not all points.. i challenge you to look at all aspects of the game (assists, steals, TO, shooting %, winning %, etc. oh...... Championships too) :lol:
Run4Happiness
timberwolf
NDPreps Starter

Postby timberwolf » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:03 pm

Also, to respond to UNDsiouxfan's, earlier comment, there is no clear cut #1 player. You seem to think Carter Mauch is head and shoulders above the competion and that's not the case. It is a close race and there are several top tier players with similar talent.. No D2 or D1 talent here bud.
Run4Happiness
timberwolf
NDPreps Starter

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:41 am

Great discussion, You are right - championships do mean a lot. Hankinson's downfall this year was their depth and lack of a consistent outside shooter. Oak Grove does have this because of their depth. I'm just arguing on pure talent/skill/statistics for Mauch - and the way other teams had to focus their game plan on trying to contain him as compared to the other top players in this region.

I respect your top 3, but I stick with Mauch. He probably won't get it because of Oak Grove being ranked in the top 5 all year and getting all the headlines, but for Region 1 Player of the Year he would have my vote.

Players do have off nights, and Adams has been very consistent most of the year and is a very good player in his own right. But, Adams fouled out that game cause he was chasing Mauch around all night. Mauch hasn't had an off night this year, he has consistently produced.

Region 1 has some exciting basketball - I believe there is D2 talent here. Several have already committed.

Voss to play bb at Jamestown I believe, Mauch to play football at Mary, Breske playing football at MSUM. Kretchman, Adams, Hurlburt, Bresnahan, Harles, & Jake Hansen could easily play D2, not sure what their plans are.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby knowledge » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:36 am

2 things:

1) I love ND Class B basketball especially Region 1, that being said there is no Division 2 talent in the Region 1. Please consider the level of play and the talent of opponents. A 6'2 Mauch would have to play the 2 or the 3 in the NSIC. Tanner Kretchman's transition to the NSIC has not been perfectly smooth & Carter is smaller, and not as quick. Adams, who is going to play football at Concordia, would have to play the point or the 2 & defend much quicker guards as well. Remember the freakish athlete that Evan Holt was, and the streaks he could get on from 3. He struggles to find minutes and he's still the same freakish athlete. Enjoy the games for the competitive nature that they have, but the talents lends itself to the NAIA & Division 3....and there is nothing wrong with that.
A few more examples:
Here are the UM-Crookston's (good new coach, best recruits in years - but bottom feeder for years) top 4 recruits for next year:
Chase Knickerbocker - Annandale 6'6 - 27.3 ppg -6.9 rebs - just scored 37 to knock off preseason MN AA #1 in the sections - 2nd year in a row at AA state
Kobe Critchley - Roseville - 6'0 PG - 17.7 ppg 5 rebs 6.9 asts - Team qualified for MN AAAA state
Connor Gamble - Stillwater - 6'0 PG - 20.4 ppg - scores in a variety of ways
Nate Lorenz - Breckenridge - 6'7 post - will play the 4 in college - 18.9 ppg 11.2 rebs - can score with both hands around the rim & step out and hit the 3 - team qualified for MN AA State

2) Best player in the region? Ask yourself who do you want with the ball at the end of a game. I do not believe that there is a coach in the region that wouldn't want to put the game in the hands of the same player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2865Poe ... e=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GD424H_6tg

Should be a great night tonight. I think all four teams are quality ND B teams that could make nice runs. Coach Kraft has done a great job getting his kids prepared for the playoffs. Coach Shauer has been in big games before and if his kids play disciplined can win two more games. Oak Grove has been to tournament finishing school, but must get stops and W/L should be confident after beating (imo - an overrated or maybe better said inconsistent) NC squad, but they are clearly playing their best ball right now as well.

Region 1, let's have some fun.
knowledge
NDPreps Reserve

Postby district2fanog » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:32 pm

who are the top 8 teams for the region next year? OG has to be the favorite?
district2fanog
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:12 pm

1. Northern Cass - Returns much of their team
2. Milnor-North Sargent - first year of coop...key players return from both schools
3. Enderlin - Hurlburt & Lindgren will be tough duo to stop
4. Central Cass - Bresnahan will be tough to slow down and stop
5. Oak Grove - young but they gained some valuable experience this past season...2017 will be their year as the favorite
6. Richland
7. Kindred
8. Hankinson
9. Lisbon

10. Wyndmere/Lidgerwood
11. Maple Valley

12. Sargent Central
13. Fairmount/CT

*Top 4 seem to be logical top teams...5-9 really can be interchangeable and could compete with the top 4.
*Wyndmere/Lidgerwood & Maple Valley are tough to rank as they will be determined more on the offseason development of their youth.
*Sargent Central & Fairmount/CT will likely struggle to find wins again next year.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby d_fense » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:14 pm

1. Enderlin
2. Milnor/North Sargent
3. Northern Cass
4. Central Cass

Excited to see some new posts. I'm Going to put some thought into this topic this weekend. I'm pretty confident in my top 3 and the order I have them in.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby wan2bqb » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:25 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:1. Northern Cass - Returns much of their team
2. Milnor-North Sargent - first year of coop...key players return from both schools
3. Enderlin - Hurlburt & Lindgren will be tough duo to stop
4. Central Cass - Bresnahan will be tough to slow down and stop

Oak Grove - young but they gained some valuable experience this past season...2017 will be their year as the favorite

More details on Region 1 as a whole this weekend.

I like this list. Questions about how the Milnor-North Sargent co-op gels is the biggest factor. Could put them on top or could drop them. Tons of young talent with lots of experience wonder how they play together. The fact they all play football together could be a key.

1- Northern Cass- loss of some of the inside presence (ie height) could hurt them
2-MNS- all the athletic ability they need if they come together and play as a team could be #1
3- Central Cass- Bresnahan will be tough to stop but needs to find outside shooter for the drive and dish
4- Enderlin- Hurlburt would be much more of a force if he played down low. Nice post moves. Cant rely on the outside shot
5- Lisbon-Oak Grove- Hankinson- Kindred This is a toss up young and talented but can anyone step to the forefront and be a leader
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby district2fanog » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:06 am

Enderlin has to be #1 in the region for this coming year. They easily have the most talented player in the region.
district2fanog
NDPreps Reserve

Postby wan2bqb » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:57 am

Agree Hurlburts size and athleticism make him a unique talent and I wont argue one way or the other whether he is best in the region but basketball is a team game and no one player can beat a whole team. We are talking talent top to bottom of the roster over a couple of very talented individuals. Starting five for starting five I still see it NC, MNS, CC then Enderlin. The role players will be the difference.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby wan2bqb » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:14 am

1. Carter Kretchman (pretty dependable in big games)
2. Carter Mauch (Man amongst boys)
3. Christian Adams (Team leader.. outspoken, physical, and consistent)
4. Graham Hurlburt (Great shooter, size, and basketball IQ)
5. Cody Springer (Growing into the Region's best)
6. Jacob Hanson (Good stats and potential… would be higher on list if team were better)
7. Tommy Voss (Team leader and scorer)
8. Grady Bresnahan (Great athleticism, defense, and facilitation)
9. Fletcher Andel (Good player with high ball IQ… again, on a "so-so" team)
10. Masen Olson (Best post/inside game in the Region offensively.. great touch)
11. Isaac Olson (Expanded his game and improved % but still too slow)
12. Adam Breske (Picks up with the things the other 2 can't)
13. Seth Harles (Good shooter and defense.. stuff poor attitude)
14. Quincy Marlett (Ok shooter better driver.. forces the issue and holds on to ball to long)
15. Logan Nelson (Rising youngster with good hustle, defense, and lots of potential)

Another quick thought is the list above I have highlighted in red the graduated seniors from last years top 15 compiled by someone other than myself. The blue shows the combined MNS team 3 members. The only other team with more than one kid on the top 15 list is NC (two). Multiple players for NC and MNS with the remaining two on CC and Enderlin. Its a team sport. Should be an interesting year. Very good quality underclassmen returning.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:45 pm

Northern Cass returns plenty of shooters/scorers...defense and inside scoring could be issues for them.

The Coop for M-NS couldn't have happened at a better time with the talented athletes from both teams; now the players must gel.

Enderlin will be a two man show next season with Hurlburt & Lindgren. Role players need to step it up.

Central Cass will go as Bresnahan goes...and teams are going to struggle to stay with his speed.

Oak Grove has many key role players from last season back but now they need to move to the fore-front. Slagle, Foster & Bakkegard all played meaningful minutes in big games.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby wan2bqb » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:57 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Northern Cass returns plenty of shooters/scorers...defense and inside scoring could be issues for them.

The Coop for M-NS couldn't have happened at a better time with the talented athletes from both teams; now the players must gel.

Enderlin will be a two man show next season with Hurlburt & Lindgren. Role players need to step it up.

Central Cass will go as Bresnahan goes...and teams are going to struggle to stay with his speed.

Oak Grove has many key role players from last season back but now they need to move to the fore-front. Slagle, Foster & Bakkegard all played meaningful minutes in big games.

I agree completely. Exactly as I said earlier Role players will be the key. Taking d_fence's list of their top fifteen you get the following:

13. Quincy Marlatt 6’1” senior G Milnor. 15.9ppg, 4.5rpg, 2.4apg, 2.5spg. Quincy has proven to be a top player for Milnor. He is struggling from deep hitting on 23%, but is shooting 45% from two. When I have watched him this season, he has played with good energy on both sides of the floor. I would like to see him cut down on the 3’s a little bit and continue to take it to the rim. Quincy is a junior this year and will be going into his senior season.

All and all there is a ton of quality players coming back for the 2015-16 season. Can't wait for next year to get here. Football games start August 28th. Until then baseball will have to suffice. Lol.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby district2fanog » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:58 pm

I heard the left handed pg from NS was going back to Shanley? Any truth to that or just a rumor?
district2fanog
NDPreps Reserve

Postby wan2bqb » Fri May 01, 2015 10:27 am

Rumor
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby district2fanog » Fri May 01, 2015 10:30 am

Will there be any new coaches in the Region for this coming year? Who is the Mil/NS coach?
district2fanog
NDPreps Reserve

Postby d_fense » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:22 am

Here’s my preseason list of top players from Region 1 for the 2015-16. It will likely change as the season progresses. I was pretty happy with my preseason list last year despite defiantly being off on a few players. I’m looking forward to this year and seeing where I am right and wrong with my following list.
1. Jake Hanson Jr. G Milnor/NS.
2. Graham Hurlburt Sr. F Enderlin.
3. Cody Springer Sr. G/F Northern Cass.
4. Grady Bresnahan Sr. G Central Cass.
5. Cody Mauch Jr. F Hankinson.
6. Mason Olson Sr. C Milnor/NS
7. Logan Nelson Jr. G Northen Cass
8. Adolfo Vasquez Sr. F Wyndmere/Lidgerwood
9. Peter Lindgren Jr. F Enderlin
10. Riley Lau Sr. C Lisbon
11. Nick Mauch Jr. G Hankinson
12. Ryder Goolsbey Sr. G Milnor/NS
13. Brady Heyen Sr. G Richland
14. Devon Foster Jr. C Oak Grove
15. Brook Bergh Sr. G Sargent Central
Just out of my top 15….
Austin Pithey Sr. G Lisbon
Brant Bohmert G Northern Cass
Caid Combs, Sr. G Maple Valley
Brock Benson, Jr. G Kindred
Bailey Hernandez, Sr. G Hankinson
**Quincey Marlatt, Sr. G Milnor/NS (would be in top 15 but ACL tear has him out for a few more months).
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby The12thMan » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:15 am

Here is my top 15 list:
1.Grady Bresnahan Sr. Central Cass.
2.Graham Hurlburt Sr. Enderlin
3.Jake Hanson Jr. MNS
4.Cody Springer Sr. Northern Cass
5.Masen Olsen Sr. MNS
6.Logan Nelson Jr. Northern Cass
7.Bailey Hernandez Sr. Hankinson
8.Adolfo Vasquez Sr. Wyndmere Lidgerwood
9.Austin Pithey Sr. Lisbon
10.Cody Mauch Jr. Hankinson
11.Nick Mauch Jr. Hankinson
12.Peter Lindgren Jr. Enderlin
13.Brady Heyen Sr. Richland
14.Brook Bergh Sr. Sargent Central
15.Wyatt Harles So. Wyndmere Lidgerwood
Last edited by The12thMan on Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The12thMan
NDPreps Reserve

PreviousNext

Return to Boys