2014-2015 Rules Change

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

2014-2015 Rules Change

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:16 pm

I see in the new rulebook that for 2014-2015 they are going back to the old ways for FT's:
"A player occupying a marked lane space...may enter the lane on the release of the ball by the free throw
shooter."
If I remember right, the rational for changing it to "when the ball touches the rim" was to eliminate the physical play that was occurring in the lane on free throw attempts. (I may be wrong on this, the memory isn't what it used to be.) Anyone know the rational for changing it back to what it used to be? Any thoughts on whether this benefits the defensive or offensive rebounder more?
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: 2014-2015 Rules Change

Postby 14OldSchool » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:09 am

Did the rule change to 'on the rim' from 'on the release' occur at the same time the bottom rebounding position (that obsolete bottom block) was eliminated? I can see both rules being used to help limit physical play on free throw attempts and they seem linked.
However, in my opinion, it seems like there will be a LOT less controversy and confusion now that players are allowed to move on the release.
"You are in the Army. You're in my Army. Everyday between three and five." - Coach Norman Dale
14OldSchool
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Hinsa » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:50 am

"The way it used to be" is a relative thing. If you go back even further, "the way it used to be in the 60's and 70's was enter when the ball was in the cylinder. So this rule has bounced back and forth several times - cylinder, release, cylinder, release. And if you go back to the 50's when the lane really was a key with the narrow lane and the lane markings make it really look like a key, it may have been different again.

What you are going to see now is increased physical play because the bottom spot is gone and players can enter on the release. This will lead to a lot of offensive rebounders running across the lane and setting screens to get the inside spot on at least one side of the lane. The defense will try to cut off the running across and you will have some serious bumping going on.

Not saying that's good or bad, that is just what is going to happen.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby bentheredunthat » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:07 am

Agree with Hinsa. Disagree with oldschool. I think it makes for more controversy. Basically, you're taking most of the players on the court, putting them in the lane and telling them to fight each other for position for 3 seconds. Leads to alot more physical play and fouls - holding, pushing, illegal screens, etc.
bentheredunthat
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Flip » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:55 pm

14OldSchool wrote:Did the rule change to 'on the rim' from 'on the release' occur at the same time the bottom rebounding position (that obsolete bottom block) was eliminated? I can see both rules being used to help limit physical play on free throw attempts and they seem linked.
However, in my opinion, it seems like there will be a LOT less controversy and confusion now that players are allowed to move on the release.

They took away the bottom spots in 08-09. I thought it changed from release to rim in the 90s.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:08 pm

I believe it changed to the rim in 1997-98 or the season prior. I know it happened while I was in high school because we had pick plays when it was on the release and had to adjust to the rim.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Return to Boys