Region 2

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby PA42 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:37 am

on monday there were some big games and a upset or 2. Hatton-Northwood defeated midway minto by seven in overtime. HN is a good team but i wouldn't pick them to make it to state. Dakota Prairie defeated griggs county by three. GCC is proving that there going to compete with most if not all teams. MPCG defeated central cass by nearly twenty, that is a big win for them. And Fordville Lankin who hasn't won a varsity game in three years(i think) has won two conference games in a row. They defeated a very down cavalier team who has competed with the likes of kindred and drayton st. thomas who has proved that they can shoot. I am not saying fordville lankin will win or even make regionals i am just happy to see them be competitive in the varsity field.
PA42

Postby Duce » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:40 am

ndfan wrote:[user=12]SCC[/user] wrote:
The Region 2 tournament is at the Betty again this year.? Does anyone think this helps or hurts any teams in the region?? Maybe the only effect would be on a team like Grafton, when the region would have normally been played there every other year.

I think if any team it would be Grafton, if its held in Grafton because they play in that gym all the time so they would have home court. Other then that i think it give you a pretty good neutral place that seats well. Wasn't it like 3 years ago Larimore went up their the #1 seed and lost to Grafton in first game of regionals?

I've heard MaSU hasn't been very cooperative with scheduling during district and Regional tournaments and thats why the betty could be permanent place for region 2? anybody hear anything?

Cavalier is not a very good team, and they won't make the Region 2 tournament.

Did you go to the betty last year? I thought the atmosphere was pretty amazing for class b regionals. All of Mayport and Thompsons games were pretty loud and exciting. The place was actually almost full for the championship game with mayville and NB. Having regions at Grafton or Mayville simply gives those respective teams an advantege.
*Lead not by words, but by example
Duce
NDPreps Reserve

Postby The Schwab » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:41 am

Yes mayville plays at the high school.....but the fact that regionals are held in mayville gives them a bigger crowd than anyone else.....I am a big fan of having the games on a neutral court in a neutral town.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby PA42 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:14 pm

grafton isn't neutral, and grand forks is pretty darn close to thompson. oh you say that thompson does'nt play on that court, well neither does mpcg. I'll tell you what let's go out cummings and have regionals there so we have a neutral site. i don't care if mpcg hosts it or not, because they don't run a very good tourney. but to say they have an advantage is not correct. For some reason no when had a problem when it was in grafton and they were a couple baskets a way from making it to the regional championship? I have also heard a lot of talk of people wanting to play in hillsboro.  Is this because hillsboro will be down for a while. So it's okay to host it in a town that looks like they won't make it to regionals. So I have an idea lets go to lankin and hold it there. Let's keep the games in a gym not an arena.
PA42

Postby mwall30 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:52 pm

I wanted to get this topic going again.  As a Region 2 fan, this region is full of excitement.  It is extremely early in the season but every team needs to show up to play everynight.  In District 3 the season started off rather odd with district favorite, Thompson, falling to Midway-Minto in an extremely close game but not like that matters since it was like one of their first games of the seson.  Then MPCG was looking impressive holding a good Stephen-Argyle team to 29 points I believe and lost to a Hatton-Northwood team in OT last Friday.  That was not the only big game that happened that night in Region 2 but also North Border beating Thompson.  And the story does not end there for the Tommies of Thompson.  Tonight they lost to Larimore in overtime in Thompson.  Hatton-Northwood beat Larimore last week so this all shows that if any one team shows up to play they can win any given night.  In district 4 I must say the team to be impressed by is the Aggies of Park River. They are undeafeted overall and have beat a tough Grafton team and Midway-Minto team.  North Border fell to Midway-Minto tonight.  Midway-Minto was the favorite coming into the year but they did lose to Park River in the holiday tournament but I believe they have a rematch on Thursday.  It's a great Region and I think it's going to be very competitive when end of February rolls around and into early March. 
mwall30
NDPreps Reserve

Postby PA42 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:58 pm

central valley upset north border at the beginning of the season and dp had a very nice run in the ramsey county tourney. overall a very tight region.
PA42

Postby thunderbaseball_38 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:30 am

There is no team in this region that sticks out. It is a mess as of right now. Come tournament time, I am sure you will be seeing alot of upsets, as well as alot of close games that shouldn't be close. I think it is all going to be determined by who has a nice run when it comes tournament time. There will be two very interesting district tournaments, and one region tournament that will be even more interesting.
Last edited by thunderbaseball_38 on Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
thunderbaseball_38

Postby NDSUBison » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:24 am

I think the Midway-Minto vs. North Border game had both teams playing well below what the know they can play. I know that North Border shot 28% and had 28 turnovers. Midway-Minto had foul trouble and also had quite a few turnovers. Both of these teams will do better come tournament time. They both have something to prove this year and will be driven to win not only a district title, but also the region title.
NDSUBison

Postby thesports_guy32 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:37 am

That's true. That game was hard to watch because of the sloppiness on both sides. But both teams have a lot to prove. Midway-Minto has to compete with the success of the girls team and North Border is probably tired of getting knocked out in the region championship game and wants to make it to the next level.
thesports_guy32

Postby PA42 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:56 am

this region is so tight. i would be very suprised if in district 4 any teams other than midway-minto, north border, park river, or grafton made it to regionals. but district 3 is going to be a dog fight. right now there is not one team that you can say i there is no way they wont make it to regionals.
PA42

Postby PA42 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:39 pm

early this season thompson has been struggling. no discipline. hatton-northwood has been playing well. larimore scares me with 2 seasoned coaches and some great athletes. mpcg will be in close games all season. i think they are really working on beating the press and finding a three point shooter. hillsboro suprised by beating a nice central valley team by fifteen. i still think midway minto is the favorite in district 4. Enger, Mozinksi, Mondry, plus some very solid role players are leading the way. north border will be in the hunt, i just don't think they have a go to guy. park river has had a heck of a start. They will make regionals becuase of coaching and moe. I know very  little about grafton other than they have started out well and they are tall. i don't see any upsets in district 4, but it is basketball. great region.
PA42

Postby InTheKnow » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:59 pm

District 4 is clearly the haves and have nots right now. The only real possibility for an upset is Drayton/ St Thomas. Definately not like it used to be a few years back when 6,7,and 8 had the chance to knock off 3 and 4.

IN--- M-M, PR, NB, Grafton

Out--- D/St T, FL, Cav, E/V
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby PA42 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:41 pm

mpcg did what they do best, controlling the tempo of the game. Ross Olson is hitting some big shots and lorenz is really getting open looks for himself and his teammates. Is there a favorite district 3?
PA42

Postby ndfootball06 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:02 pm

this region gets more exciting every day. theres been some big games in both districts since the last post in this topic so i thought i'd see if anybody has any new thoughts on region 2.
ndfootball06
NDPreps Starter

Postby Region 2 fan » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:14 pm

This is going to be one of the best regional tournaments Region 2 has seen in a while.  Grafton seems to be on cruise control, but you can't forget Park River.  They have lost one game this season to a tough Midway-Minto team without Justin Moe.  North Border and Midway-Minto will be seen at the regional tournament too as well as those two teams keep playing like they have been playing all year.  I watched North Border for the first time today against a tough Four Winds team.  Four Winds handled them pretty well from the get go but North Border never did back down.  They had a big district game the night before against Grafton and twelve hours later they were back on the floor playing again.  As for District 3 it's anyones shot at regionals.  Show up to play the right three nights and you'll find yourself in the Betty.  Everyone is beating each other in this district.  Who does everyone think will be the #1 seeds outta each district heading into the Regional tourament?
Region 2 fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby thunderbaseball_38 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:24 pm

I'd go with A.K. and Grafton from District 4. Its gonna be close, but they are playing very well, and I think they are gonna show up for the District tourney. As for District 3, It's so hard to pick a favorite. Between Thompson, Hatton-Northwood, Mayville, Dakota Prairie, and even Larimore or Central Valley could have a chance. In the beginning of the season I would have picked Thompson. I am going to stick with them as the #1 seed going into regionals.. But its still a toss up..
thunderbaseball_38

Postby hoop_fan1 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:45 am

I have been really disappointed in Thompson, they haven't been improving as the season progresses.  That is what it's all about.  You may be the top team at the beginning, but if everyone else figures out how to beat you, then you need to make adjustments.  I wouldn't be surprised if they don't make regionals.  They will probably end up with 4th, but Grafton, North Border, Midway-Minto, Park River will easily handle Thompson in Regions.  They just haven't got any better from what I've seen.
hoop_fan1
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:06 am

i agree with you that thompson hasnt been playing up to their potential...BUT they are the type of team that can get hot and destroy a team by 20 +.....The district 3 and 4 tournaments will be amazing as will the Region 2...
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby thunderbaseball_38 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:26 pm

Thompson has probably the most players with district and regional tournament experience in the district. They haven't been playing well because they don't play with as much intensity as they should be. They should be running alot more than they do. I am pretty sure they will be in region, and I like there chances for the number 1 seed. But I don't think District 3 will be sending anyone to state this year. I think the region 2 team going to state this year will be from District 4. But you are right, they haven't played up to their potential, but they could get really hot really fast.
thunderbaseball_38

Postby thunderbaseball_38 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:41 pm

SCC wrote:Although both districts 3 and 4 have some real good teams, I think the state rep. will be from district 3 this year.

who from district 3 do you think can top Grafton, Park River, North Border or Midway-Minto?

Not criticizing your thoughts by the way, I'm just curious.
Last edited by thunderbaseball_38 on Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thunderbaseball_38

Postby ndfan » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:54 pm

My opinion is there is NOOOO favorite in this region NONE!!! Winner of this region is gonna be whoever is playing the best basketball at the time. Could come down to seeding and who has to play who. Midway Minto and MPCG gonna be the two teams I think get hot during tournament time. WIll be fun to see though.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby NBE2007 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:39 pm

i would actually like NB and MPCG in the region championship, but this NB winning it....just some revenge over the past couple of years
NBE2007

Postby PA42 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:46 am

i think that mpcg has the slight edge right now.
PA42

Postby Region 2 fan » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:40 pm

horne98 wrote:i think that mpcg has the slight edge right now.

How do you figure MPCG has a slight edge right now?  I know you used the word slight which is good but they do not have an edge over anyone.  They are the top in the district right now, dont get me wrong, but it's not like they are undefeated in it.  They have lost to Larimore, like a week ago, and Hatton-Northwood and beat a Thompson team in overtime.  They have Thompson, Dakota Prairie, and Larimore again in the next two weeks.  If they can pull off 3 W's I will believe that statement but they don't have a edge right now imo.  And as for saying they have any edge in the region is wrong imo.  District 4 is firing on all cylinders and we'll see come early March how much of an edge mpcg has.  Don't mean to call you out here horne98 on this one, i just want to see how you think they have the edge.
Region 2 fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby knights4 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:08 am

I think M-M will come out of the district tournament in either 3rd or 4th and won't go very far in regionals mostly because of their lack of depth. I think Graftons the best in the district with N-B in 2nd and a coin flip between M-M and P-R. So my pick is Grafton to go to state from region 2.
"Yeah I called her up, she gave me a bunch of crap about me not listening to her, or something, I don't know, I wasn't really paying attention."
-Harry Dunn
knights4
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Boys