Region 2

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby player22 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:38 pm

yeah Justin Moe is  a very good player. i played ECI with him over the summer and he was a stud.
player22

Postby PA42 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:24 am

drayton-st. thomas just defeated hatton-northwood. Drayton St. thomas has some potential with two year starters littlejohn and chase rost. could they be a suprise in district 4?
PA42

Postby rkmt » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:56 pm

Midway Minto got Thompson 55-54 tonight.  An early season 1-pt win on a home court doesn't mean a whole lot, but it does probably give credence to the fact that the region will be a dogfight.  Thompson being the favorite is a pretty safe pick when you consider the talent they have back, but they haven't always been a great tournament-time team, so I think it will be pretty interesting.
rkmt
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDSUBison » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:19 am

That win is huge for Midway-Minto because they want to see how they will size up in the region. A big week for both Thompson, Midway-Minto, and North Border will be right after the Christmas break, when North Border Travels to Thompson on January 5, then has a home game agaisnt Midway-Minto on the 9th in Pembina. And, right before the break, they play Grafton in Grafton on December 21st. Thos three games will guage how well North Border will do in the District, and Region. It will also tell how those other three teams will do in their Region and district
NDSUBison

Postby PA42 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:32 am

right now midway minto has the upperhand in district 4 and probably in region 2. But this region will really become interesting when we find out how mpcg grows throughout the year.
PA42

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:32 am

for someone who played against grafton twice last year i agree with spoilers23 that they are anything but weak. they are going to be there at the end of the year with the other good teams from around the region.  the team that took the floor for grafton last year was completely different from the team that they had 2 years ago.  they had 3 solid seniors in chad berg, brandon nelson and jeff miller.  so last years team was basically getting their feet wet for these next two years.  they got off to a slow start and by the end of the year if they did lose they weren't getting blown out and were a tough team to beat.  who keeps saying hatton-northwood is going to be good?  they lost basically everything from last years team and opened up their season with a 20+ point loss to drayton-st.thomas who only has 3 players back from last years team that ever made it on the court.  maybe theres something you guys know that i dont but i dont see them going very far this year at all.  as far as midway-minto goes, yes they lost sitzer who was a leader and kept the team under control... whoever said that losing him is too big of an obstacle to overcome then you shouldn't be able to pick thompson who lost jacob wurtz, or mayport who lost baldwin, berry, fyre, gerszewski, and harpestad.  you shouldn't look at what teams lose its what they gain.  mayville gains luke lorenz to have the team be all his to take as far as he can, he's also got a couple good player who gained experience last year like klath and baldock.  thompson gains an incredible senior class who won a lot of games while wurtz was injured last year and beat number 1 ranked mayport. 
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:20 pm

horne98 wrote:drayton-st. thomas just defeated hatton-northwood. Drayton St. thomas has some potential with two year starters littlejohn and chase rost. could they be a suprise in district 4?

d-st could be a surprise but lack of size is going to hurt them... by the way kennely is a two year starer, three-year contributor, he's more under control then littlejohn.  if littlejohn gets hot say around tournament time they could make a run like they did in 2005
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:42 pm

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:
horne98 wrote:drayton-st. thomas just defeated hatton-northwood. Drayton St. thomas has some potential with two year starters littlejohn and chase rost. could they be a suprise in district 4?

d-st could be a surprise but lack of size is going to hurt them... by the way kennely is a two year starer, three-year contributor, he's more under control then littlejohn.  if littlejohn gets hot say around tournament time they could make a run like they did in 2005

like i said lack of size could hurt them, they got rolled by grafton 73-37, 6'5 kliniske, and 6'6 schiller are too much for rost to take by himself.  so much for those people who were bashing grafton in other posts
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:47 pm

anyone know what happened tonight at may port hs when they lost to Park Christian?
Last edited by north_border_eagles2106 on Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndfootball06 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:54 pm

like i said lack of size could hurt them, they got rolled by grafton 73-37, 6'5 kliniske, and 6'6 schiller are too much for rost to take by himself.  so much for those people who were bashing grafton in other posts

saw that game, kliniske and schiller didnt carry the bulk of the load....i believe they finished with 13 and 9..kliniske had 2 or 3 guys around him the whole game.  the rest of the team stepped up, shows how scary they can be in the long run
ndfootball06
NDPreps Starter

Postby cubsfan » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:45 am

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:for someone who played against grafton twice last year i agree with spoilers23 that they are anything but weak. they are going to be there at the end of the year with the other good teams from around the region.  the team that took the floor for grafton last year was completely different from the team that they had 2 years ago.  they had 3 solid seniors in chad berg, brandon nelson and jeff miller.  so last years team was basically getting their feet wet for these next two years.  they got off to a slow start and by the end of the year if they did lose they weren't getting blown out and were a tough team to beat.  who keeps saying hatton-northwood is going to be good?  they lost basically everything from last years team and opened up their season with a 20+ point loss to drayton-st.thomas who only has 3 players back from last years team that ever made it on the court.  maybe theres something you guys know that i dont but i dont see them going very far this year at all.  as far as midway-minto goes, yes they lost sitzer who was a leader and kept the team under control... whoever said that losing him is too big of an obstacle to overcome then you shouldn't be able to pick thompson who lost jacob wurtz, or mayport who lost baldwin, berry, fyre, gerszewski, and harpestad.  you shouldn't look at what teams lose its what they gain.  mayville gains luke lorenz to have the team be all his to take as far as he can, he's also got a couple good player who gained experience last year like klath and baldock.  thompson gains an incredible senior class who won a lot of games while wurtz was injured last year and beat number 1 ranked mayport. 
good post... i totally agree.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cubsfan » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:47 am

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:anyone know what happened tonight at may port hs when they lost to Park Christian?

you could definitely tell it was the first game. a lot of turnovers by both teams.  mpcg will need to find a point guard in order to be successful. dave nelson didn't coach this game. he had a ad meeting in california.
Last edited by cubsfan on Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby TKR53 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:11 am

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:who keeps saying hatton-northwood is going to be good?  they lost basically everything from last years team and opened up their season with a 20+ point loss to drayton-st.thomas
First of all, WHERE DID YOU LEARN TO DO YOUR MATH??  They lost by seven.  As you said they did lose basically everything from last years team.  But they do have a lot of athletic kids back.  It will just take some time for them to get into things. They have the talent, but  they need experience.  They had 4 of the 5 starters foul out and had 34 fouls as a team.  They just had a bad night.  They were only 27.5% from the field.  Once they get comfortable when they are playing the shots will start to fall and they will have a competitive team.
Last edited by TKR53 on Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TKR53
NDPreps Rookie

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:20 pm

TKR53 wrote:
north_border_eagles2106 wrote:who keeps saying hatton-northwood is going to be good?  they lost basically everything from last years team and opened up their season with a 20+ point loss to drayton-st.thomas
First of all, WHERE DID YOU LEARN TO DO YOUR MATH??  They lost by seven.  As you said they did lost basically everything from last years team.  But they do have a lot of athletic kids back.  It will just take some time for them to get into things. They have the talent, but  they need experience.  They had 4 of the 5 starters foul out and had 34 fouls as a team.  They just had a bad night.  They were only 27.5% from the field.  Once they get comfortable when they are playing the shots will start to fall and they will have a competitive team.

haha whoops, i never saw the actual box score someone just asked if i heard that HN got beat by 20 by D-STV, didn't really have an effect as i just watched central valley beat noth border at pembina....
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:23 pm

player22 wrote:yeah Justin Moe is  a very good player. i played ECI with him over the summer and he was a stud.

Moe is good and has been good since he was a freshmen.  i haven't seen him play this year but last year he got into fights with his coach alot and often got benched as a disciplinary action.  he seemed to have a poor attitude towards the game although a lot can change in a year he'll likely win the district 4 player of the year award with enger from M-M a close second
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:27 pm

rkmt wrote:Midway Minto got Thompson 55-54 tonight.  An early season 1-pt win on a home court doesn't mean a whole lot, but it does probably give credence to the fact that the region will be a dogfight.  Thompson being the favorite is a pretty safe pick when you consider the talent they have back, but they haven't always been a great tournament-time team, so I think it will be pretty interesting.

that's a good point about thompson not being good at tournament time.  they seem to peak during the regular season winning games they usually wouldn't or blowing out a good team they catch on an off night.  They usually have the best talent in the region year-in-year-out but can't win the big game.  they are to nd class b boys basketball what the buffalo bills were in the early 90's in the nfl
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby TKR53 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:17 pm

Anybody know about the weather around Dakota Prairie??  They cancelled their game with Hatton-Northwood that was supposed to be in Hatton. 
TKR53
NDPreps Rookie

Postby razorback » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:41 pm

freezing rain and slicked up roads..... rained all day
razorback
NDPreps Reserve

Postby PA42 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:30 pm

region 2 is going to be very interesting this season. Anyone who gets hot during tournament time has a chance.
PA42

Postby PA42 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:31 pm

i am really unsure about district 4 but it's stacked. MIdway-minto beat thompson. NOrth Border was the favorite coming in and has nice size and coaching. Grafton is hot, drayton st.thomas beat a good hatton-northwood, park river has otto and moe, cavalier gave kindred a contest, valley-edinberg had a solid team last season, and fordville-lankin is improved a little bit... a really interesting region
Last edited by PA42 on Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PA42

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:37 pm

horne98 wrote:i am really unsure about district 4 but it's stacked. MIdway-minto beat thompson. NOrth Border was the favorite coming in and has nice size and coaching. Grafton is hot, drayton st.thomas beat a good hatton-northwood, park river has otto and moe, cavalier gave kindred a contest, valley-edinberg had a solid team last season, and fordville-lankin is improved a little bit... a really interesting region

i'll agree with you that its an interesting region but you can rule out cavalier, v-e and fordville lankin.. v-e returns ZERO varsity points from last years region team, cavalier lost every starter and 6th man from last year and fordville has improved yes but I don't see them getting past anyone outsid of cavalier/v-e.  looks like pr found another scorer in otto as he's been keeping pace with moe in the early part of the year, if he stays consisent park river could be a sleeper.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:39 pm

horne98 wrote:cavalier gave kindred a contest

Not really. The score was close but the game wasn't. If cavilier makes the top 4 in the Region I would be suprised. I watched cavalier twice and they looked horrid, they dont have a scorer. They have a guard who wants the ball all the time but he makes a lot of bad decisions when he gets it. They have a forward/center that looked pretty decent, but that does nothing when he cant get the ball.  A lot could change by the time tourneys roll around, but man they need some help right now.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby PA42 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:26 am

SCC wrote:The Region 2 tournament is at the Betty again this year.  Does anyone think this helps or hurts any teams in the region?  Maybe the only effect would be on a team like Grafton, when the region would have normally been played there every other year.
it could possibly help thompson or maybe even the district 4 teams because gf is close and more exciting than mayville. I just think that the atmosphere suffers in an area such as the betty. An arena is nice for state but districts and regions deserves a packed atmosphere and i can tell you what there wasn't a packed house last season.
PA42

Postby ndfootball06 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:52 am

horne98 wrote:
SCC wrote:The Region 2 tournament is at the Betty again this year.  Does anyone think this helps or hurts any teams in the region?  Maybe the only effect would be on a team like Grafton, when the region would have normally been played there every other year.
it could possibly help thompson or maybe even the district 4 teams because gf is close and more exciting than mayville. I just think that the atmosphere suffers in an area such as the betty. An arena is nice for state but districts and regions deserves a packed atmosphere and i can tell you what there wasn't a packed house last season.

grafton didn't make regionals last year but the year before they did and it was held in grafton.  maybe one or two of the guys on this years team actually played on that team, so i wouldn't say playing in the betty would have much effect on them.
ndfootball06
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfan » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:46 pm

[user=12]SCC[/user] wrote:
The Region 2 tournament is at the Betty again this year.  Does anyone think this helps or hurts any teams in the region?  Maybe the only effect would be on a team like Grafton, when the region would have normally been played there every other year.

I think if any team it would be Grafton, if its held in Grafton because they play in that gym all the time so they would have home court. Other then that i think it give you a pretty good neutral place that seats well. Wasn't it like 3 years ago Larimore went up their the #1 seed and lost to Grafton in first game of regionals?

I've heard MaSU hasn't been very cooperative with scheduling during district and Regional tournaments and thats why the betty could be permanent place for region 2? anybody hear anything?

Cavalier is not a very good team, and they won't make the Region 2 tournament.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Boys