One Two Punch

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

One Two Punch

Postby winner-within » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:50 am

I had stated a while back in the season that NS may not see a Hagler-Grande again... now I may have to eat crow when these 2 players are finished

Christian Kvilvang, North Star
Alex Weston, North Star

But after watching them at State are these two more of a one two punch than their predecessors?

*No disrespect to Hag-Gran, just a fun comparison IMO .. :)
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Re: One Two Punch

Postby ND-is-#1 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:05 pm

I thought the same thing. Hagler and Grande were a dynamic one two punch. I don't think Weston and Kvilvang are quite there yet, but next year they could very well be as good or even better. Although I think it will be very tough top Hagler and Grande..
ND-is-#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:25 pm

They are going to be VERY hard to stop next year, and yes its worth the wait to, (for lack of better words) finalize or lets say summarize the comparison, or lets say impact.....their length is a virtue
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby CC1983 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:39 pm

Grande+Hagler= About 4000 points
Kvilvang+Weston= About 1700 points
I guess the younger 2 have a year left, but I don't think they will match the output needed to equal it out. I take Hagler/Grande 99 times out of 100.
CC1983
NDPreps Starter

Postby baloncesto » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:06 pm

Great one two punches this year
Chrest+Robbins-Cavalier
Bussman+Mund-Milnor
Schmidt+Krens-Flasher
Heidelbaugh+Bernhardt-Rugby

I think Bussman and Mund were my favorite because of how well they worked together passing the ball to each other.

Also, I gotta throw in Richman and Hasleau from last year because they were one of the best.
Remember...there is always a little boy in the stands that wants to be just like you, don't disappoint him.
baloncesto
NDPreps Starter

Postby ND-is-#1 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:23 am

Could throw Kretchman-Adams in as well.. Not exact numbers, but very close.
Robbins-Chrest = 36ppg
Weston-Kvilvang = 36ppg
Krenz-Schmidt = 34ppg
Heidelbaugh-Bernhardt = 39ppg
Bussman-Mund = 46ppg
Kretchman-Adams = 38ppg
ND-is-#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:59 am

CC1983 wrote:Grande+Hagler= About 4000 points
I guess the younger 2 have a year left, but I don't think they will match the output needed to equal it out. I take Hagler/Grande 99 times out of 100.

Haglar/Grande have a state championship and 1 runner/up.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ND-is-#1 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:09 am

packers21 wrote:

By the end of next year they could have a championship and a third place finish. Pretty close..
ND-is-#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:25 am

ND-is-#1 wrote:
packers21 wrote:

By the end of next year they could have a championship and a third place finish. Pretty close..

True...or they could lose to 4-winds in the Region Champ. I think NS has played in 6 straight Region Championship games. Both 1-2 punches are great. Personally I would take Haglar-Grande.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:33 am

I think the younger 2 are harder to guard overall....next season coaches will be trying to figure out how to guard...

out of the four Hagler would get my vote for overall hardest to guard and then it would be Kvilvang-Weston then Grande.....

-Stats?.... not looking for that, the younger 2 share in the older two's stats in all reality..
-Championships and runner ups?... they share in them too

another real solid one two punch next season will be Robbins-Brown Cavalier IMO
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ND-is-#1 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:40 am

How about we call them up and have a little 2 on 2 and see who wins. Then we would know! :lol:
ND-is-#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:44 am

ND-is-#1 wrote:How about we call them up and have a little 2 on 2 and see who wins. Then we would know! :lol:

:D ....nope one 2 punch involves the other 3 on the court with them
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ND-is-#1 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:51 am

winner-within wrote:
ND-is-#1 wrote:How about we call them up and have a little 2 on 2 and see who wins. Then we would know! :lol:

:D ....nope one 2 punch involves the other 3 on the court with them

I know. Just a joke for fun. :D
ND-is-#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:18 pm

It's kind of funny how it's worked for NS. They have been blessed with so many good players. And I mean good individual as well as tremendous role players. They are so intertwined, that it's really not fair to compare any of them. But if you were to do it, better comparisons position wise would be (just for the last few years or so):

Teubner/Komrosky - Grande/Hagler - Heisler/Komrosky (still young)
Lindahl/Swanson/Haugen - Weston/Kvilvang/Hunt (still young)

They've all helped each other be successful. Special guys, like many other teams have.

baloncesto wrote:Great one two punches this year
Chrest+Robbins-Cavalier
Bussman+Mund-Milnor
Schmidt+Krens-Flasher
Heidelbaugh+Bernhardt-Rugby

I think Bussman and Mund were my favorite because of how well they worked together passing the ball to each other.

Also, I gotta throw in Richman and Hasleau from last year because they were one of the best.

Was thinking the same thing a couple of weeks ago. There are many across the state. A few more:
Holte+Duke - DLB
Jay+Langen+Poitra - St. John
Mckay+Smith - FWM
Braaten+Miller - WN

Pretty sure there are more that could be added.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:37 pm

A true one 2 punch has to be where they look to one another to accomplish a rhythm that takes them to victory....the ones listed are good....and yes very commonly there is also a third and forth guy to compliment the duo....lets say Cavalier had joined with NB like they had in wrestling and so on and so forth, well they you woulda seen a 1-2-3 punch Chrest Robbins Volk....ouch!.... :)
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby HighPlainsDrifter » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:14 pm

From my perspective, it appeared to me H-G kind of leveled off after their sophomore year. I saw a marked improvement in W-K this season. If they show the same type of improvement next year, plus being bigger and stronger, watch out!
HighPlainsDrifter
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:49 pm

HighPlainsDrifter wrote:From my perspective, it appeared to me H-G kind of leveled off after their sophomore year. I saw a marked improvement in W-K this season. If they show the same type of improvement next year, plus being bigger and stronger, watch out!

You gotta good eye
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby justplayalready » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:32 am

HighPlainsDrifter wrote:From my perspective, it appeared to me H-G kind of leveled off after their sophomore year. I saw a marked improvement in W-K this season. If they show the same type of improvement next year, plus being bigger and stronger, watch out!

I think they plateaued excitement wise(as a fan watching) about that time...They had played with other scorers(Lindahl, Komrowsky) and H-G really had an aggressive defensive mindset against opposing guards. They could stop a team from getting the ball up the court if need be. They'd make great steals, passes and easy scores. Great fun to watch if you were a NS fan...
Jr year they had be the scorers and eased up on their D...Still great players but not as exciting. Hagler has a lot of the Malzer smoothness when he scores, they are so smooth they aren't that exciting to watch.
Also both were playing 3 sports all year round since 8th Grade...Grande especially his Sr year had decided he's playing next level football and started to work on getting the body to do that, this may have effected his BBall??
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Return to Boys