2013-14 All-State

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

2013-14 All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:07 pm

To be posted tonight after 7pm...
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Re: 2013-14 All-State

Postby noles4ever » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:27 pm

Wait for it, wait for it…….
noles4ever
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:06 pm

CLASS B ALL-STATE

FIRST TEAM
Briton Bussman, Milnor
Brock Robbins, Cavalier
Trayvon McKay, Four Winds-Minnewaukan
Tanner Holte, Des Lacs-Burlington
Brad Heidlebaugh, Rugby

SECOND TEAM
Hunter Braaten, Westhope-Newburg
D'Angelo Burns, Fairmount-Campbell-Tintah
Ryan Chrest, Cavalier
Austin Cieslak, Hazen
Levi Hoiby, Powers Lake
Christian Kvilvang, North Star
Alex Weston, North Star
Wyatt Mund, Milnor
Zack Schmidt, Flasher
Brady Thielges, LaMoure-LM
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby noles4ever » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:21 pm

Congrats to all of the young men on this team, your hard work has paid off. Lots of underclassmen, future is bright for the 2014-2015 season.
noles4ever
NDPreps Starter

Postby minotguy715 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:27 pm

No real surprises here, I don't know anything about the Burns kid, but nice pts per game avg(30.9)............just a little surprised on Hoiby, but to be honest, I know little about him..........I am from Region 6 and thought Austin Lee was going to make it, but there are already a good number of juniors, so I think all in all it is good :)........Happy Hunter Braaten made it, good kid, and super athlete.......avg
26.5 pts game.
minotguy715
NDPreps Reserve

Postby EHS1998 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:20 pm

Congrats to all!
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby ND-is-#1 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:22 pm

Congrats to all! Very interesting picks.. There are a few I would add and take off, but we all have our opinions. They are all very deserving!
ND-is-#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby bruins44 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:56 am

Am I missing something? Why isn't Carter Kretchman on the All State Team?
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flying Wallenda » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:08 am

bruins44 wrote:Am I missing something? Why isn't Carter Kretchman on the All State Team?

Wow how can that be?
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flying Wallenda » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:10 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:CLASS B ALL-STATE

FIRST TEAM
Briton Bussman, Milnor
Brock Robbins, Cavalier
Trayvon McKay, Four Winds-Minnewaukan
Tanner Holte, Des Lacs-Burlington
Brad Heidlebaugh, Rugby

SECOND TEAM
Hunter Braaten, Westhope-Newburg
D'Angelo Burns, Fairmount-Campbell-Tintah
Ryan Chrest, Cavalier
Austin Cieslak, Hazen
Levi Hoiby, Powers Lake
Christian Kvilvang, North Star
Alex Weston, North Star
Wyatt Mund, Milnor
Zack Schmidt, Flasher
Brady Thielges, LaMoure-LM

2 from Milnor/2 from Cavalier/2 from North Star. Probably all deserving, but 6 of the top 15 from 3 teams is unusual. I wonder if that's happened before. If Kretchman didn't make it that's criminal.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby noles4ever » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:22 am

Something that you guys that are commenting on the Kretchman omission have to realize, the voting took place friday morning of the State Tourney, thursday night, Kretchman did not have a great game, in fact, for those that had not seen Oak Grove play, Adams was the more impressive player, in hindsight if the media knew that Kretchman was going to have the last 4 minute display Friday night and the epic Championship he is probably on there, you also must realize that that area of the state already also had Burns, Bussman, and Mund, 4 from each region would be a 32 member all state team. As it stands 3 from Region 1, take three from every region and you have a 24 member team, which is too many also.
Please don't turn this into one omission degrading every other deserving member that is on there, it serves no purpose.
noles4ever
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:31 am

noles4ever wrote:Something that you guys that are commenting on the Kretchman omission have to realize, the voting took place friday morning of the State Tourney, thursday night, Kretchman did not have a great game, in fact, for those that had not seen Oak Grove play, Adams was the more impressive player, in hindsight if the media knew that Kretchman was going to have the last 4 minute display Friday night and the epic Championship he is probably on there, you also must realize that that area of the state already also had Burns, Bussman, and Mund, 4 from each region would be a 32 member all state team. As it stands 3 from Region 1, take three from every region and you have a 24 member team, which is too many also.
Please don't turn this into one omission degrading every other deserving member that is on there, it serves no purpose.

So is Kvilvang on there because he had his monster game Thursday night?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flying Wallenda » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:43 am

noles4ever wrote:Something that you guys that are commenting on the Kretchman omission have to realize, the voting took place friday morning of the State Tourney, thursday night, Kretchman did not have a great game, in fact, for those that had not seen Oak Grove play, Adams was the more impressive player, in hindsight if the media knew that Kretchman was going to have the last 4 minute display Friday night and the epic Championship he is probably on there, you also must realize that that area of the state already also had Burns, Bussman, and Mund, 4 from each region would be a 32 member all state team. As it stands 3 from Region 1, take three from every region and you have a 24 member team, which is too many also.

Who's degrading players because of 1 omission? You wanna talk about degrading players, go and read some of your posts about class b girls basketball-what purpose did that solve? I think all players that made the team deserved it, and EVERY YEAR there are players left off the list that also deserve it. 15-18 players on the list is plenty, or else it gets watered down. I realize the guys from region 1 were very deserving, and no I didn't see a single one play a game this year. That being said, I did see Kretchman, albeit only at the state and on highlights, and I know he had a big year as well. That omission stands out to me.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby noles4ever » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:52 am

I would guess it did.
Degrading the officiating job, not the individual players per se. :D
noles4ever
NDPreps Starter

Postby EHS1998 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:53 am

I was trying my hardest not to get involved in this discussion as you cant make a statement about one player deserving inclusion without implying that someone who made the team wasnt deserving. When I saw the list, I immediately noticed two players who werent included and probably deserve to be. But if ONE game caused the inclusion or exclusion of a player as a couple have implied, the process is very flawed.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby noles4ever » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:59 am

I was just pointing out that a good game by kretchman thursday would have helped his cause, not saying it was the deciding factor. I too did not want this to turn into a bunch of bickering and tried to keep it from that, the list is a list of deserving players.
noles4ever
NDPreps Starter

Postby ND-is-#1 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:01 am

I agree with "EHS" the first round of the state tourney should not impact the voting for all state... If that is supposedly why Kretchman didn't make it and Klingvang made it, something needs to change.
ND-is-#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby noles4ever » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:06 am

That is totally not even close to what I was saying, now all three of you are misinterpreting everything that I am saying to fit your argument.
I would guess Kvilvang got all-state because he was the leading scorer and second leading rebounder on the 3rd place team in the state. According to the GF herald he avg. 18.6 and Alex Weston avg. 18.1, Weston avg. 7.7 rebounds and Kvilvang avg. 7, one is 6'6 and the other 6'5.
Robbins and Chrest were both instrumental on a 5th place Cavalier team.
noles4ever
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:07 am

I don't like the media selecting the all-state team. It's too prestigious of an honor for a player to have it mostly based on popularity. My comment from before about Kvilvang does not mean that I don't think he was deserving, just a reply to Noles reasoning about why Kretchman maybe didn't make it. And I agree with Noles, too. If Kretchman goes for 30 in the opening round game, he's on this list. Which is unfair to all the players involved. I think it's also fair to say that if FW-M makes state instead of Northstar, they have two on this list and Northstar has one. It's just how it is. Who gets the most recognition throughout the year....team and players. Similar to the polls...a lot of that is just in team name recognition for most of the season until teams start separating each other towards the end.

I personally would like to see coaches select the all-state teams. At least then you'd get input on who is coachable, who has the work ethic, who has the intangibles that set them apart, etc. Not saying all media don't take this in to account, but its different coming from a coaches point of view. And coaches are more inclined to look at players from across the state (although still more in their own region) from scouting, team camps, etc.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:08 am

EHS1998 wrote:I was trying my hardest not to get involved in this discussion as you cant make a statement about one player deserving inclusion without implying that someone who made the team wasnt deserving. When I saw the list, I immediately noticed two players who werent included and probably deserve to be. But if ONE game caused the inclusion or exclusion of a player as a couple have implied, the process is very flawed.

Spot on. IMO, it would probably be easier for the selection committee to pick 10, rather then 15. There will always be some politics involved. Let's say 10 of the best basketball players in the state are from region 7, are they all going to get on the team? No. Why? Because the job of each person on the selection committee is to promote players from their region. There is going to be some "horse trading" going on. On that point, I think they will always get the best players from their region, but some other deserving players will be left off for this reason.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flying Wallenda » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:14 am

ndlionsfan wrote:I don't like the media selecting the all-state team. It's too prestigious of an honor for a player to have it mostly based on popularity. My comment from before about Kvilvang does not mean that I don't think he was deserving, just a reply to Noles reasoning about why Kretchman maybe didn't make it. And I agree with Noles, too. If Kretchman goes for 30 in the opening round game, he's on this list. Which is unfair to all the players involved. I think it's also fair to say that if FW-M makes state instead of Northstar, they have two on this list and Northstar has one. It's just how it is. Who gets the most recognition throughout the year....team and players. Similar to the polls...a lot of that is just in team name recognition for most of the season until teams start separating each other towards the end.

I personally would like to see coaches select the all-state teams. At least then you'd get input on who is coachable, who has the work ethic, who has the intangibles that set them apart, etc. Not saying all media don't take this in to account, but its different coming from a coaches point of view. And coaches are more inclined to look at players from across the state (although still more in their own region) from scouting, team camps, etc.

Completely agree
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:23 am

Just my 2 cents, but I would not like to see the coaches vote on the award. Just in talking to some parents and watching the way some things get voted on, I imagine we get in situations where a particular player is not well liked for whatever reason, or a particular coach is not liked for whatever reason, and that player, or a player who plays for that coach gets left off. The members of the media don't really have as much skin in the game.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby ND-is-#1 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:28 am

noles4ever wrote:That is totally not even close to what I was saying, now all three of you are misinterpreting everything that I am saying to fit your argument.
I would guess Kvilvang got all-state because he was the leading scorer and second leading rebounder on the 3rd place team in the state.According to the GF herald he avg. 18.6 and Alex Weston avg. 18.1, Weston avg. 7.7 rebounds and Kvilvang avg. 7, one is 6'6 and the other 6'5.
Robbins and Chrest were both instrumental on a 5th place Cavalier team.

You can't really say that, because they voted for the all state team before they got third place. Therefor that has nothing to do with it. I do think his big first day helped him get on. I do think coaches should vote. They know the players far better than the media does. All the media hears about is the good teams and who scores the most.
ND-is-#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby digger » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:33 am

Kretchman is an all-state caliber player, there are others throughout the state that are all-state caliber players and didn't make the all-state team. State tourney performance can be a factor but shouldn't be an overriding one, many high end players never get the opportunity to play in the state tourney. The Grovers took home the state title this year, I would bet that is the reward he and his teammates value most.
digger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:38 am

noles4ever wrote:Congrats to all of the young men on this team, your hard work has paid off. Lots of underclassmen, future is bright for the 2014-2015 season.

I agree this is a nice line up...You now must know who Robbins is noles..... :wink:
all in fun!.. :)
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Boys