Cool with Results

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Cool with Results

Postby winner-within » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:16 am

Is everyone cool with how the State Tournament shook down?

Personally I would have liked to have seen Cavalier in the night Bracket of course.. :)
I was cool with the results over all, initially I was thinking this shoulda happened and that shoulda happened but over all I think it was a very competitive tournament....its seems like there is a vibe that OG isnt the team that most folks wanted to see win it all but maybe I'm off.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Re: Cool with Results

Postby RebelsThunder » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:25 am

I thought is was one of the best first night a state tourney has ever had the rest of the nights were great but personally i don't think private schools should be in class B and i think that's why no one wanted them to win the NDHSAA should look at a 3 class system for smaller class A teams to have a chance and to get the bigger class B school and the private schools and maybe even the reservation teams out of Class B and give the smaller schools a bid. but over all the state tourney was great.
RebelsThunder
NDPreps Reserve

Postby mklein5409 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:11 am

I thought the games were all excellent. Every one of them was competive and fun to watch. Everyone has their opinion about calls as in every game throughout history. I was very disappointed in the starting lineups for championship. No buildup with the lights not turned off. All the students and lots of fans had glow sticks and such that turned out to be a waste. I was even ready to use my NDSU game day app on my phone for intro's. This one night is supposed to be something to be remembered, but this year was a letdown, especially for the players.
mklein5409
NDPreps Rookie

Postby justplayalready » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:57 am

I'd say Fargo's fans didn't do them any favors...No issues with their players.

Rugby had a lot of good looks early that didn't fall...woulda, coulda, shoulda been up by 10-15 after one and never looked back...Fargo OG kept it close and with a gunner, they pull it out. Impressed most with NS as a team. Rugby had most fans by far.Reffing was inconsistent all games...

GF Venue...it is what it is. Hockey first, B about third. Haven't seen TV coverage, so can't comment. There has to be better halftime entertainment, but that's a whole nother subject..

Cool with the games and play...uncool with Fargo fans, venue & GF
Last edited by justplayalready on Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby justplayalready » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:59 am

mklein5409 wrote:I thought the games were all excellent. Every one of them was competive and fun to watch. Everyone has their opinion about calls as in every game throughout history. I was very disappointed in the starting lineups for championship. No buildup with the lights not turned off. All the students and lots of fans had glow sticks and such that turned out to be a waste. I was even ready to use my NDSU game day app on my phone for intro's. This one night is supposed to be something to be remembered, but this year was a letdown, especially for the players.

If i remember from 2012, there was quite a delay in getting the lighting back to a level for play after they did that & even then it took quite a long time to get the full lighting back...I'm sure that's why it wasn't done
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:19 pm

justplayalready wrote:I'd say Fargo's fans didn't do them any favors...No issues with their players.

Rugby had a lot of good looks early that didn't fall...woulda, coulda, shoulda been up by 10-15 after one and never looked back...Fargo OG kept it close and with a gunner, they pull it out. Impressed most with NS as a team. Rugby had most fans by far.Reffing was inconsistent all games...

GF Venue...it is what it is. Hockey first, B about third. Haven't seen TV coverage, so can't comment. There has to be better halftime entertainment, but that's a whole nother subject..

Cool with the games and play...uncool with Fargo fans, venue & GF

what did they do...I wasn't aware
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby thefuzz » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:47 pm

Great 3 days of basketball. As for TV & news paper coverage not soo good. I DVR'd all the games and watched them last night, the TV coverage was less then professioal, basically one camera in the nose bleed section with a few cut in shots to the floor cameras by the basket. The commentators were terrible, coach nelson is a great guy and did the best he could with a coaches insight but pat Sweeney should have stayed home and watched und hockey. Not sure if anyone else saw the sunday paper but 2/3 of the front sports section was about EGF and UND hockey with a quick clip on the State B championship. To me that is just telling BB fans that there not a priority in gfks, which we all know is a hockey town. But those of us that enjoy BB as a whole had a great wkend.
thefuzz
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndclassbb » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:20 pm

[*]
Last edited by ndclassbb on Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ndclassbb
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:55 pm

ndclassbb wrote:Please see my post on Page 5 under State tournament as I'm not prepared to re-type it.

by ndclassbb » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:02 pm

Gee, I felt sorry for Rugby at the 2013 state tournament last year for the same reason that people are feeling sorry for New Town this year. Almost the identical scenario happened at the end of Rugby's first game last year in the tournament. (look it up if you're interested).
I (and everyone else in proximity of me) was appalled at the reffing of the championship game especially. Rugby typically goes on a lot of runs the 3rd and 4th quarters of any given game and every time that this happened and Rugby was pulling away there were consistent calls on Rugby which allowed OG to then capitalize and makeup for their deficit. OG players were allowed to play freely (many over the back fouls and other types that were simply never called), while Rugby literally couldn't move without something (especially fouls) being called. The fouls that were called on OG were primarily the ones that would potentially allow them to catch up. IE: Several times Heidelbaugh drove and made layups only to meet with a (delayed) foul call if he made the basket at which time it then didn't count. Sadly, at the end of the game, there was a Rugby player with a profusely bloody nose-no foul and no delay of game. Since when is a delay of game not mandatory when someone is bleeding on the court. Please don't tell me that the refs didn't notice this because that is not possible considering their proximity to the player. Rugby coaches had to call a time-out in order to substitute another player. There were only four Panthers on the floor before the time-out for some moments because of this. Granted, Rugby didn't have their best game by far, BUT they were so obviously rattled (not an excuse a fact and obvious to anyone who has followed the team all year) that it didn't even look like the same team. Well, technically speaking, it wasn't the same team as there was already one starter benched several minutes into the game for fouls and three of them benched for fouls by the beginning of the third quarter. Rugby has never even been close to having a situation like this the entire year! How many teams have you ever seen playing over half of their bench by the beginning of the second half in a championship game? I've never seen it. How is it possible to play your best in a any game (and win) with less than half of your starting five? Worst reffing (that's the under-statement of the year) I've seen in 30 plus years of playing/watching BB. Everyone I've spoken with agrees wholeheartedly and considers it shameful. There are many interesting facts that have been exposed since the game was played that are now common knowledge among a lot of people; many of whom are not even from Rugby. Very sad indeed. The Rugby Panthers battled two opponents on Saturday night, didn't have their best game or most of their regular players...and still almost won.
Congrats to the Rugby Panthers on a fantastic season! I'm sure that it was a very disheartening way to close it and I'm sorry for that. There should be some other people out there who are very sorry to.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby cheeze it » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:39 pm

RebelsThunder wrote:I thought is was one of the best first night a state tourney has ever had the rest of the nights were great but personally i don't think private schools should be in class B and i think that's why no one wanted them to win the NDHSAA should look at a 3 class system for smaller class A teams to have a chance and to get the bigger class B school and the private schools and maybe even the reservation teams out of Class B and give the smaller schools a bid. but over all the state tourney was great.

funny how people only say this when a private school wins the state champioship.
cheeze it
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:40 pm

winner-within wrote:
ndclassbb wrote:Please see my post on Page 5 under State tournament as I'm not prepared to re-type it.

by ndclassbb » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:02 pm

Gee, I felt sorry for Rugby at the 2013 state tournament last year for the same reason that people are feeling sorry for New Town this year. Almost the identical scenario happened at the end of Rugby's first game last year in the tournament. (look it up if you're interested).
I (and everyone else in proximity of me) was appalled at the reffing of the championship game especially. Rugby typically goes on a lot of runs the 3rd and 4th quarters of any given game and every time that this happened and Rugby was pulling away there were consistent calls on Rugby which allowed OG to then capitalize and makeup for their deficit. OG players were allowed to play freely (many over the back fouls and other types that were simply never called), while Rugby literally couldn't move without something (especially fouls) being called. The fouls that were called on OG were primarily the ones that would potentially allow them to catch up. IE: Several times Heidelbaugh drove and made layups only to meet with a (delayed) foul call if he made the basket at which time it then didn't count. Sadly, at the end of the game, there was a Rugby player with a profusely bloody nose-no foul and no delay of game. Since when is a delay of game not mandatory when someone is bleeding on the court. Please don't tell me that the refs didn't notice this because that is not possible considering their proximity to the player. Rugby coaches had to call a time-out in order to substitute another player. There were only four Panthers on the floor before the time-out for some moments because of this. Granted, Rugby didn't have their best game by far, BUT they were so obviously rattled (not an excuse a fact and obvious to anyone who has followed the team all year) that it didn't even look like the same team. Well, technically speaking, it wasn't the same team as there was already one starter benched several minutes into the game for fouls and three of them benched for fouls by the beginning of the third quarter. Rugby has never even been close to having a situation like this the entire year! How many teams have you ever seen playing over half of their bench by the beginning of the second half in a championship game? I've never seen it. How is it possible to play your best in a any game (and win) with less than half of your starting five? Worst reffing (that's the under-statement of the year) I've seen in 30 plus years of playing/watching BB. Everyone I've spoken with agrees wholeheartedly and considers it shameful. There are many interesting facts that have been exposed since the game was played that are now common knowledge among a lot of people; many of whom are not even from Rugby. Very sad indeed. The Rugby Panthers battled two opponents on Saturday night, didn't have their best game or most of their regular players...and still almost won.
Congrats to the Rugby Panthers on a fantastic season! I'm sure that it was a very disheartening way to close it and I'm sorry for that. There should be some other people out there who are very sorry to.

so are you one of the ones who feels sorry for New Town?...cause if so then Rugby isn't in the Friday night game nor the Sat night game of course...just asking, I have mixed thoughts on this
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndclassbb » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:07 pm

[*]
ndclassbb
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:33 pm

ndclassbb wrote:[*]

??
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndclassbb » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:58 pm

I feel sorry for anyone who feels that they were slighted. The only reason I even posted anything was because there are many more people complaining about the reffing than not. Am I completing blaming the refs...no to which I eluded.
Also, everyone realizes that the refs have a tough gig and it's a thankless job. I have witnessed a lot of very good officiating at games over the years.
I want to clarify that I am a Christian and that I never stated that I felt that this happened because OG is a Christian school. Absolutely not! There is no negativity directed toward anyone from OG in my post, nor was there intended to be. I do not believe that this happened because OG is a Christian school so please stop trying to read between the lines as when you do, you will always find something that isn't there.
ndclassbb
NDPreps Reserve

Postby pigplet » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:16 pm

If this continues to be a question of equality make it simple:

Class A
Class B
Class All Private schools.

It will become a money issue soon. Put the "recruiting" issue to the side. Anybody see the Schiloh campus lately? It is better than a lot of colleges have. I would be proud to be able to send my kids to a private school to play basketball, baseball....etc but I can't afford it (bless the people who can) so I don't. I live in a larger town that has two, but my kids still go to a public school. I suppose if they wanted to we would find a way to afford it, but they are happy where they are.

By the way, we would miss them from each particular class, who would we nice guy about if they left? :D
pigplet
NDPreps Reserve

Postby RebelsThunder » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:46 am

cheeze it wrote:
RebelsThunder wrote:I thought is was one of the best first night a state tourney has ever had the rest of the nights were great but personally i don't think private schools should be in class B and i think that's why no one wanted them to win the NDHSAA should look at a 3 class system for smaller class A teams to have a chance and to get the bigger class B school and the private schools and maybe even the reservation teams out of Class B and give the smaller schools a bid. but over all the state tourney was great.

funny how people only say this when a private school wins the state champioship.

No it's funny cause i say it every year people only notice it when a private school wins. I would have said it if Rugby won because they arn"t small either.
RebelsThunder
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:04 am

ndclassbb wrote:I feel sorry for anyone who feels that they were slighted. The only reason I even posted anything was because there are many more people complaining about the reffing than not. Am I completing blaming the refs...no to which I eluded.
Also, everyone realizes that the refs have a tough gig and it's a thankless job. I have witnessed a lot of very good officiating at games over the years.
I want to clarify that I am a Christian and that I never stated that I felt that this happened because OG is a Christian school. Absolutely not! There is no negativity directed toward anyone from OG in my post, nor was there intended to be. I do not believe that this happened because OG is a Christian school so please stop trying to read between the lines as when you do, you will always find something that isn't there.

I'm not much for feeling sorry in sports, a win is a win........... I do know that the foul called on Grady (#50) at the end of regulation was not a foul, in fact it was an awesome rebound by the big guy...with that said Rugby gets a chance in OT and wins...New Town goes on to lose another squeaker the next day then loses again to Flasher.

So Rugby gets taken to OT twice in the tournament, not a mystery why they finished second rather than an undefeated first....truth is they were a great team but definitely not a dominant team, In my opinion there wasn't a dominant team (amungst one another) in the tournament no matter who was reffing or how the reffing was....

I think its time for all to acknowledge the change of the game with the shot clock.....it takes 8 teams and makes them more even in a sense, or lets say gives the opportunity of a comeback way more realistic...many possessions made it under 4 seconds left on the clock, fans are now counting down starting at as high as 12 on the clock almost in panic....this is added pressure on the players & coaches which is good IMO....
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Return to Boys