Coaching Wins

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Coaching Wins

Postby defense1st » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:39 pm

I was talking with a friend the other day about Dan Carr and we thought he was the wins leader for ND Class B until I remembered Ed Beyer. Does anyone know the top 10 or so in coaching wins?

Pretty good lineup at the B this year with Carr (664, 35 years), Hagler (404, 25 years), Brandt (317, 20 years), and Card (133, six years).
Last edited by defense1st on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
defense1st
NDPreps Starter

Re: Coaching Wins

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:28 pm

defense1st wrote:I was talking with a friend the other day about Dan Carr and we thought he was the wins leader for ND Class B until I remembered Ed Beyer. Does anyone know the top 10 or so in coaching wins?

Pretty good lineup at the B this year with Carr (664, 35 years), Hagler (403, 25 years), Brandt (316, 20 years), and Card (130, six years).

Card is 132 wins in 156 games.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby EHS1998 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:32 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
defense1st wrote:I was talking with a friend the other day about Dan Carr and we thought he was the wins leader for ND Class B until I remembered Ed Beyer. Does anyone know the top 10 or so in coaching wins?

Pretty good lineup at the B this year with Carr (664, 35 years), Hagler (403, 25 years), Brandt (316, 20 years), and Card (130, six years).

Card is 132 wins in 156 games.

132 and 24 aint bad! But he does have the private school advantage.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby BB11 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:38 pm

I think Eddie retired at 683, but that is an educated guess. I don't think Coach Carr has passed him yet, but I know he is close. I do know Coach Beyer was in the high 600's when he retired and 683 always pops in my head.
Someone else might have 100% proof positive knowledge however.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby stir the pot » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:36 am

Does any one know? Has Carr been at Linton all this time or did he coach at MPCG at one time.
Who coached Nelson the TV commentator?
Last edited by stir the pot on Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stir the pot
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sportsrube » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:53 pm

stir the pot wrote:Does any one know? Has Carr been at Linton all this time or did he coach at MPCG at one time.
How coached Nelson the TV commentator?

I don't think he coached at MPCG, but he did coach a season or two in Minnesota before coming to Linton.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bequickdonthurry » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:32 pm

stir the pot wrote:Who coached Nelson the TV commentator?

Nelson played for Ed Beyer.
bequickdonthurry
NDPreps Starter

Postby knowledge » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:40 am

bequickdonthurry wrote:

Random facts about the Ed Beyer coaching tree :

Elliot Rotvold (Hillsboro), John Hutchinson (retired Northwood), Steve Carnal (retired Oak Grove) and Dave Nelson (retired MPCG) - all played for Ed Beyer and coached at the Class B tournament w/ Carnal and Nelson winning titles.

There may be more to this tree that I am unaware of.
knowledge
NDPreps Reserve

Postby momofathletes » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:07 am

knowledge wrote:
bequickdonthurry wrote:

Random facts about the Ed Beyer coaching tree :

Elliot Rotvold (Hillsboro), John Hutchinson (retired Northwood), Steve Carnal (retired Oak Grove) and Dave Nelson (retired MPCG) - all played for Ed Beyer and coached at the Class B tournament w/ Carnal and Nelson winning titles.

There may be more to this tree that I am unaware of.

Keith Meyer(former Hillsboro girls coach for several years in the 80s and is now back in the saddle coaching Hillsboro-Central Valley girls this season) is also a former Ed Beyer player and state champion. Has taken at least 2 girls teams to the State B including a title.
There's No Crying in Basketball
momofathletes
NDPreps Starter

Postby B-oldtimer » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:57 pm

I think Jack Demaine was one the best class b coaches I have seen in my time watching class b basketball. Eddie Byer was also one of the best he had his team better prepared and fundamentally sound in playing basketball all the time. The one thing I would give Jack Demaine has over some of the other coaches mentioned he coached at Munich small class b school continually put good teams on the floor. He adapted to kids he had in the program and figured a way to win with what ever talent he had and when he was blessed with a lot of talent they went along way in District, Regional and State tournaments. A lot of other good coaches coached at larger schools where they developed program in the school that would provide them the type and quality of talent year in year out, Sure they were down some years but numbers were in their favor over long haul to give them type of players that would give type of basketball that coach wanted to play. Jack got great participation in Munich and developed talent there but with lesser numbers and not always depth a lot of larger programs had. I saw when he had teams with one or two good players and he had fill in with the talent he had but he figured a way to win with that talent. He would then by year end would be competitive and still make long run in the tournaments. He had way to get best out of kids and I saw personally kids play way over there potential with him I guess he knew how to motivate and put players in right situations so they could succeed. I have seen a lot of other good coaches and had very successful careers that started in small class b school but they all wanted to get to bigger school where they had talent year in year out where they could just worry about molding that talent into a winner. Coaching at smaller class b school encompasses more you have to continue recruiting and getting kids to play, adapting how you coach and play with the kids you have, and all time trying to keep it something fun and kids want to play and being able to get better as the season goes along to where you could compete at year end tournament time.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:34 am

Jack was the best IMO also....hands down
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Return to Boys