State pairings/seedings

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

State pairings/seedings

Postby popefro » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:18 pm

Well I guess today's games just go to show the seedings really didn't mean squat. It's tournament time and anybody can win. All of these teams coming in are hot and wanna prove somethimg of course. I guess I don't care if it stays this way, maybe the coaches like it but c'mon, have the opening games ever showed as much pairity as today??
popefro
NDPreps Reserve

Re: State pairings/seedings

Postby lovwatchingsports » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:49 pm

But it also put pressure on the seeded teams because they are suppose to win while the other teams play loose, they have nothing to lose because they suppose to lose. Just saying. Great games/
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby B-oldtimer » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:12 am

I agree pretty hard to determine who's better team for seeding most of teams have not seen each other or played each other. A lot has to do with how close some are to media compared to other teams coming to tournament. That's why we play the state tournament its only time that all regions of the state are playing against each other. Look for example if Rugby dominates the next two games and wins state tournament and New Town wins out in consolation bracket it could mean we had same result they were trying to prevent they said by seating the teams. That's why liked the way it was it was random and even coaches have limited scope on determining who's better a lot has to do with Media attention schools get through the season. I just like the fate of draw instead of seeding that was beauty of the state tournament you had just go play your best ball see how it stacked up. The state tournament was like beginning of new three game season where everyone was equal and you had prove yourself out on the court. The whole season was thrown out the window and you have to prove how good a team you are on the floor. The reason for the seeding I think has been because of Tv fans, media, and schools wanted to be on Tv. I think some of this could be solved now if they let some other stream consolation bracket of the tournament.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby justplayalready » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:51 am

I just don't buy the "what if the two best teams meet in the first game"? for getting rid of the set pairings...The B has taught us that being the best 1, 2 or even 3 on paper prior to the B doesn't mean squat...

Now fans have another what if, that doesn't need to come into play
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby scruffy » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:36 am

It comes down to "opinion only" so in reality it's nothing but a popularity contest spurred on by the media. People who seed the teams more then likely haven't seen them play ten games or more which is really needed to form an intelligent opinion.
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby sportsphenom » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:47 pm

scruffy wrote:It comes down to "opinion only" so in reality it's nothing but a popularity contest spurred on by the media. People who seed the teams more then likely haven't seen them play ten games or more which is really needed to form an intelligent opinion.

Seeding is done by the coaches in the tournament, not by the media. No matter if we seed it or random draw it there will always be people complaining. I actually think they did a good job this year, all very competitive games the first day. Fun to see that for 2 years in a row basketball across the state is competitive. No one is a clear favorite. I'm a firm believer that anything can happen at state. Polls, seeding etc will not affect the outcome, you as a TEAM affect the outcome.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby woodchuck10 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:09 pm

What would the the match ups have looked like last night if they didn't seed top 4? what rotation were they on or is it random draw every year? Does anyone know? Would Region 6 and 1 have been matched up?

I like the seeding, as long as it prevents two undefeated or one loss teams from playing in the first round I'm all for that! Also gives the random draw teams to play with a little chip on their shoulder. Didn't Munich and Watford City play a 1 pm first round game in the early 90's and they were the two best teams all year. I bet people would have rather watched that saturday night than thursday afternoon.
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sportsphenom » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:54 pm

I believe it was on a rotation but not sure what it would have been this year. Yes 1992 Watford and Munich played each other first round- rematch of the year before final won by Watford, Munich went on to win state that year. Which is why I like the seeding, 2 undefeateds should never see each other first round again.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 4mrnative » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:33 pm

Spot on dialogue, gentlemen! It will never be perfect, but how about we let the improvement have a chance to prove itself! Yesterday may have been uniquely random...but it was great!!
4mrnative
NDPreps Starter

Return to Boys